Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't like it either.

There is no margin for error in these tournaments.

The courses are so easy that there will be one player in about half the events who makes nearly no mistakes, and shoots 4 very good rounds. If you have a bad round or even one bad 9 holes, you can throw yourself out of the event. You could even match the winner for 3 rounds or 3 rounds and one 9, but still lose.

BluesOne31

We going insane
Dec 31, 2011
Not a big fan of super low scores either. Too video game like.

But you can only lengthen a course and increase the stimpmeter by so much. About the only thing they can do is increase the rough length. Equipment is well ahead of course design and difficulty.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
unfortunate, but such is life

Rory seems to be unlucky injury wise

He should be back by the Masters. Probably early March, and then he has a few events to get ready for the Masters.

Jason Day is the worst with injuries and illnesses, although obviously some of that there is nothing he could do. He has something ailing him like every few months. Rory's really not even that bad with injuries. I think he's only had two injuries now.

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
Golf just isn't as interesting when Rors isn't teeing it up. Time frame seems to be a few (4-6) weeks so hopefully he recovers quickly and is back soon.

spieth-meme.jpg

????

Jan 3, 2012
Oh my god how can you post that

I'm still in shock over what happened at Augusta last year

Spieth has probably gotten over his collapse better than I have

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Oh my god how can you post that

I'm still in shock over what happened at Augusta last year

Spieth has probably gotten over his collapse better than I have

I can't ever remember a sporting event bothering me that much.

The Oilers losing in 2006, Zenyatta losing to Blame by a nose, Broncos in 2013, Tiger at the 2009 PGA were all depressing in various ways, but it's just sports.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Obviously its a way bigger deal to the actual participants than fans, but it is tough for fans. The teams I root for usually lose, so I don't get my hopes up usually. 2014 Stanley Cup and 2015 World Series were basically like the same thing. We would get out to an early lead, but lose nearly every game late. Neither series went that many games, so it might've been easier. The football team I root for is terrible and the USA isn't any good at soccer, so not much to get over when your teams don't even get to the latter stages. None of the TW losses were that difficult. I was at Camp during the 2009 PGA, so it wasn't that hard to get over. 2012 Open was the most difficult. I thought he was going to win that tournament. He looked like he was going to take the lead late in the 3rd round, but then made a bad error, and had a completely flat final round. Tentative, looked in his own head. That was the toughest TW loss to get over.

I think the 2015 Open was way tougher to get over than last year's Masters. 2016 Masters was just annoying because everyone was talking about it because of the circumstances instead of just playing poorly, and that he didn't have the best year. He didn't even play well at the Masters last year. He was hitting so many poor shots, just scrambling like crazy. He was a little unlucky one of his really bad swings came on a hole with water, and then he just didn't manage the situation well from there. He really shouldn't have won that tournament to begin with. He would've robbed the field with his "C" game, if he had won.

2015 Open was so epic and dramatic. He was going for the third leg of the grand slam, and trying to do what the elite players in golf history had gotten a chance to do, but weren't able to do. I was so frustrated watching that whole last round. It was on a Monday after a million weather delays the whole tournament. I thought he threw away the tournament on #8, and then he makes a good comeback to get back into the mix. He had stalled though for a bunch of holes, and you figure he probably has to birdie 16, given 17 is probably the most difficult golf hole ever, especially with that wind to even have a chance to get into a playoff on 18. And then he makes the putt on 16. Outside of maybe the Tiger putt at Torrey Pines, that was the most clutch putt I've seen, given the circumstances. Impossible putt from like 30 feet, you have to get that putt 100% perfect, otherwise it won't go in. At that point, I figured he was going to win, but he missed his putt on 17, and then came up like 2 or 3 feet short on 18 of a perfect shot, but if you try for a perfect shot on 18 and miss it, it'll go down the valley of sin.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Obviously its a way bigger deal to the actual participants than fans, but it is tough for fans. The teams I root for usually lose, so I don't get my hopes up usually. 2014 Stanley Cup and 2015 World Series were basically like the same thing. We would get out to an early lead, but lose nearly every game late. Neither series went that many games, so it might've been easier. The football team I root for is terrible and the USA isn't any good at soccer, so not much to get over when your teams don't even get to the latter stages. None of the TW losses were that difficult. I was at Camp during the 2009 PGA, so it wasn't that hard to get over. 2012 Open was the most difficult. I thought he was going to win that tournament. He looked like he was going to take the lead late in the 3rd round, but then made a bad error, and had a completely flat final round. Tentative, looked in his own head. That was the toughest TW loss to get over.

I think the 2015 Open was way tougher to get over than last year's Masters. 2016 Masters was just annoying because everyone was talking about it because of the circumstances instead of just playing poorly, and that he didn't have the best year. He didn't even play well at the Masters last year. He was hitting so many poor shots, just scrambling like crazy. He was a little unlucky one of his really bad swings came on a hole with water, and then he just didn't manage the situation well from there. He really shouldn't have won that tournament to begin with. He would've robbed the field with his "C" game, if he had won.

2015 Open was so epic and dramatic. He was going for the third leg of the grand slam, and trying to do what the elite players in golf history had gotten a chance to do, but weren't able to do. I was so frustrated watching that whole last round. It was on a Monday after a million weather delays the whole tournament. I thought he threw away the tournament on #8, and then he makes a good comeback to get back into the mix. He had stalled though for a bunch of holes, and you figure he probably has to birdie 16, given 17 is probably the most difficult golf hole ever, especially with that wind to even have a chance to get into a playoff on 18. And then he makes the putt on 16. Outside of maybe the Tiger putt at Torrey Pines, that was the most clutch putt I've seen, given the circumstances. Impossible putt from like 30 feet, you have to get that putt 100% perfect, otherwise it won't go in. At that point, I figured he was going to win, but he missed his putt on 17, and then came up like 2 or 3 feet short on 18 of a perfect shot, but if you try for a perfect shot on 18 and miss it, it'll go down the valley of sin.

What?

BVB isn't terrible.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
2009 Open was the worst for me. I was pretty much driving the Tom Watson bandwagon the entire weekend. Far and away the most disappointment I've ever felt watching sports.

The Montreal series is probably the only time I felt a true letdown because of the Capitals. Before the series, I would tell myself that they have to learn how to lose before they can learn how to win. After the series, I came to expect them to lose in the playoffs. Basically, Montreal was peak disappointment for me with hockey.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
What?

BVB isn't terrible.

Meant American football. I'm a Jets fan.

I don't care as much about European football. I watch and recently have been a Dortmund fan, but my rooting interest in the sport is mostly just the USA. I don't care too much how Dortmund does. I root for them, but nothing like how I root for other teams. I don't even care that much how the Jets do. I've lost some interest in American football with how many seasons the Jets have went without making the playoffs. I also root for the Cavs each playoffs and the Heat before that, but I don't really care that much if those teams.

NHL, MLB, International Football and Golf are my main rooting interests, although I watch some other sports, but those are the main sports where I really care how teams or athletes do.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
2009 Open was the worst for me. I was pretty much driving the Tom Watson bandwagon the entire weekend. Far and away the most disappointment I've ever felt watching sports.

The Montreal series is probably the only time I felt a true letdown because of the Capitals. Before the series, I would tell myself that they have to learn how to lose before they can learn how to win. After the series, I came to expect them to lose in the playoffs. Basically, Montreal was peak disappointment for me with hockey.

Was that really worse than the Caps-Rangers series in 2015? You guys were 1:41 away from beating us in 5, and you lost in OT of 7. That game 7 over time was the most nervous I have ever been watching a sporting event. I have no reason why that game I was the most nervous, maybe because it was game 7.

And I had a long trip early the next day. I can only imagine how bad that would've been from a Caps fan perspective losing that series. It would've been terrible from my perspective if the Rangers lost that game even after making a big comeback. I got like no sleep and had a very busy day. I could only imagine how terrible that day would've been if the Rangers lost.

Jan 3, 2012
Meant American football. I'm a Jets fan.

I don't care as much about European football. I watch and recently have been a Dortmund fan, but my rooting interest in the sport is mostly just the USA. I don't care too much how Dortmund does. I root for them, but nothing like how I root for other teams. I don't even care that much how the Jets do. I've lost some interest in American football with how many seasons the Jets have went without making the playoffs. I also root for the Cavs each playoffs and the Heat before that, but I don't really care that much if those teams.

NHL, MLB, International Football and Golf are my main rooting interests, although I watch some other sports, but those are the main sports where I really care how teams or athletes do.

Ah I see. Didn't peg you for the MLB type

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
It's gonna be interesting to see how he reacts to it. He maybe over it but when the Masters comes around, it's gonna be replayed over and over and over again. Plus he's gonna be asked about it every time. Think he wins it this year though.

I'm a Spieth, Cowboys, Leafs fan to name a few. Leafs/Cowboys prepared me for that hole.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It's gonna be interesting to see how he reacts to it. He maybe over it but when the Masters comes around, it's gonna be replayed over and over and over again. Plus he's gonna be asked about it every time. Think he wins it this year though.

I'm a Spieth, Cowboys, Leafs fan to name a few. Leafs/Cowboys prepared me for that hole.

You have my condolences :D

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Was that really worse than the Caps-Rangers series in 2015? You guys were 1:41 away from beating us in 5, and you lost in OT of 7. That game 7 over time was the most nervous I have ever been watching a sporting event. I have no reason why that game I was the most nervous, maybe because it was game 7.

Game 5 of that series sucked but as soon as they lost that game in OT i resigned myself to (correctly) believing they would end up losing the series. Everytime the Caps play in the postseason I expect the worst, so there's not really any room for disappointment with that mindset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad