Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Okay how about this.

Pick two golfers per event to score points for you, so the objective should be to pick golfers who you think will play well. Only allowed to pick a golfer twice per season. Picks will apply for one event per week. If there's an opposite field event for a specific week, we won't count that event, we'll just count the bigger event, and maybe we can do a separate contest for the majors with slightly different rules because thats only 4 events and the 2017 season is like 40 events.

Point values:

Win=11 Points
2-5=5 points
6-10=4 points
11-20=3 points
21-40=1 point
40-last place to make cut=0 points
Missed cut=-2 points

I'll keep score and list who everyone has picked and how many times you've picked certain golfers to make it easier to choose your picks each week. Picks due by the first tee time of the event.

Tell me what you guys think.

Jan 3, 2012
Okay how about this.

Pick two golfers per event to score points for you, so the objective should be to pick golfers who you think will play well. Only allowed to pick a golfer twice per season. Picks will apply for one event per week. If there's an opposite field event for a specific week, we won't count that event, we'll just count the bigger event, and maybe we can do a separate contest for the majors with slightly different rules because thats only 4 events and the 2017 season is like 40 events.

Point values:

Win=11 Points
2-5=5 points
6-10=4 points
11-20=3 points
21-40=1 point
40-last place to make cut=0 points
Missed cut=-2 points

I'll keep score and list who everyone has picked and how many times you've picked certain golfers to make it easier to choose your picks each week. Picks due by the first tee time of the event.

Tell me what you guys think.

Looks good but only two starts per player is pretty limited, unless they don't count for majors.

Jan 3, 2012
Rory McIlroy will make his 2017 debut at the BMW South African Open on January 12, and will be making equipment changes through the entire bag. No Laying Up has confirmed that Rory will be playing the new Callaway GBB Epic Sub Zero driver, Callaway Custom Apex MB irons, and reuniting with an old (but improved) friend in the Titleist ProV1x ball.

Thoughts?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2170031

I made a thread. It'll be easier for everyone to understand the rules, know the standings and such with its own thread. We can and still should use this thread to discuss golf. The other thread can just be for the contest.

Basic rules are mostly what I stated with a number of specifications so there aren't any problems with situations that come up and one or two new things added on. Its a long list of rules, just read it once, so you understand how everything will work.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Torrey and Honda for Tiger which is no real surprise. Would still like to see him add a couple surprises depending on if he's planning on Dubai.

Needs to get a win and get into the WGCs.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The pairings this week basically give you an idea who the PGA Tour wants to market the most. Usually they don't do it like this, but with the TV times, it makes sense. I'd prefer they do it like this every week.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Speaking of marketability, we saw how disastrous the ratings were for golf last season without Tiger. 20 year lows on almost a weekly basis with not much good news sprinkled in at all.

Spieth just isn't a very marketable personality for golf, unfortunately. Not much charisma (at least one that doesn't match his talent) and his slow play issue seemed to really irk casual fans the wrong way last season. During the majors, more of the talk was about how long he takes to play on social media than how good he plays/played.

Reed is an overrated nobody that doesn't drive anything except conversation during team competition. Seems every few months pundits start talking about the eventual Patrick Reed breakout that's just around the corner and it fails to materialize every single time. Rickie Fowler 2.0 in this regard. Or is Fowler Reed 2.0? Hmmm.

Dustin Johnson has the Gretzky connection going on that drives a lot of attention amongst more casual fans. Has much more of a broad cross-cultural appeal than anybody on this list with the exception of Spieth and even then, it's pretty close. Not necessarily a guy who is going to get move the needle though.

Rory McIlroy and Jason Day aren't American so they barely occupy a figment of most American golf fans imaginations, let alone casual fans.

Going to be an interesting future for the sport going forward once Tiger and Phil retire.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think expectations will just need to be adjusted. TW is a legendary athletic figure. He single-handedly improved ratings and popularity for the sport. Jack Nicklaus who had a better golf career didn't do that. Will ratings be a little lower when TW retires than years when TW played? Yes, of course, but you almost have to take that out of consideration. Compare ratings for when TW wasn't playing during his era to what ratings will be when he retires.

Golf is much better with TW, but it will be fine with or without TW. There are enough good players. This current era is way more talented than any recent era. Tiger's era wasn't even that good, besides him. Is there anyone who generates the interest of TW? No, at least not yet, but having a number of good players will be good enough for the sport. This current era has so much talent. If you take TW out of the equation, and combine his era with the one before, this current era is probably more talented than the 85-00 era, and the 00-15 era. It would be much more worrying if the current crop of golfers was like first half of the 90's before TW where it was a rotating bunch of mostly nobodies leading forward the sport. Then it might be correct to say golf is going down the drain without TW.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
I think expectations will just need to be adjusted. TW is a legendary athletic figure. He single-handedly improved ratings and popularity for the sport. Jack Nicklaus who had a better golf career didn't do that. Will ratings be a little lower when TW retires than years when TW played? Yes, of course, but you almost have to take that out of consideration. Compare ratings for when TW wasn't playing during his era to what ratings will be when he retires.

Golf is much better with TW, but it will be fine with or without TW. There are enough good players. This current era is way more talented than any recent era. Tiger's era wasn't even that good, besides him. Is there anyone who generates the interest of TW? No, at least not yet, but having a number of good players will be good enough for the sport. This current era has so much talent. If you take TW out of the equation, and combine his era with the one before, this current era is probably more talented than the 85-00 era, and the 00-15 era. It would be much more worrying if the current crop of golfers was like first half of the 90's before TW where it was a rotating bunch of mostly nobodies leading forward the sport. Then it might be correct to say golf is going down the drain without TW.

Pretty sure we've had this convo once or twice but not sure I'd agree on the bolded. Depends on your definition of "good" though.

I honestly think that appointing this current era as full of talent is correct, but so far the majority of that talent has underwhelmed and disappointed in their young careers. Obviously at the top end with Rors, Jason, Spieth and DJ it has delivered so far but two of those guys are still sitting on one major. Players like Patrick Reed, Hideki Matsuyama and Rickie Fowler as well as Keegan Bradley have consistently failed to perform in the majors. Bryson DeChambeau came onto the tour last year with immense hype and looked out of his league.

Tiger in his prime playing during this era would dominate it just as much as he dominated his supposedly "not good" era. Legendary athletes raise their games depending on the level of their competition, he thrived when he was threatened.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think we have to give this era some time. Rory is only 27, Jordan is only 23. They are pretty young. Neither is yet in what would be considered prime years for a golfer. Day and Johnson are both late bloomers, at least in the sense of winning events. They've always been good, just didn't win events at a high rate. Both seem to be hitting their stride in recent years.

As for how Tiger would do in this era in his prime, I think he'd be the best, but I don't think he'd dominate as much as he did in his era. There are just too many too many top golfers now. McIlroy, Spieth, Day, Johnson, etc would pick off too many tournaments for Tiger to be winning 7-8 times a year and one out of every 3-4 majors. I think he might win five times a year and 1 out of every 5-6 majors. I think the main difference between TW and JN is that Tiger is a little more talented and faced worse competition. TW was on his way to breaking JN major record easily because of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad