Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You seem to have a knack for hyperbole. Whether it's thinking that Spieth should be 4 or 5 shots better every round he plays (every golfer can say that) or otherwise. Some of Tiger's scrambling around the greens has been excellent today... :laugh:

Bogeyed the last two holes because of poor scrambling. I'm done with these lowered expectations. They get lowered every few months. He's 41 years old, hasn't won a major since 2008. If he's going to get to 18 majors, it requires being good right away, and probably getting a major or two this season.

Everyone else can get excited for a made cut, completing four rounds, maybe contending in one or two events later in the season. Thats not TW that I watched, he doesn't need to be as good as his best, but I don't think he should be treated any different than the top golfers, given what he's accomplished. Anything other than a top 10 in a non-major is a bad result, wins preferred. Anything other than a win in a major is a bad result.

If this is the TW's new level of golf, he might as well just retire, although I'm not sure that it is, I don't know, but an over par round isn't a good start. I'd like him to make a few birdies coming in, a few under par wouldn't be a bad round, might be able to make up some shots the next few days, but I don't think scrambling to make the cut can be considered playing well for someone who's won as many tournaments as he has.

I expect much better than TW being any other golfer. Maybe its unrealistic, but the last few years have been difficult as a TW fan. He's contended in one golf tournament since 2013.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Bogeyed the last two holes because of poor scrambling. I'm done with these lowered expectations. They get lowered every few months. He's 41 years old, hasn't won a major since 2008. If he's going to get to 18 majors, it requires being good right away, and probably getting a major or two this season.

Everyone else can get excited for a made cut, completing four rounds, maybe contending in one or two events later in the season. Thats not TW that I watched, he doesn't need to be as good as his best, but I don't think he should be treated any different than the top golfers, given what he's accomplished. Anything other than a top 10 in a non-major is a bad result, wins preferred. Anything other than a win in a major is a bad result.

If this is the TW's new level of golf, he might as well just retire, although I'm not sure that it is, I don't know, but an over par round isn't a good start. I'd like him to make a few birdies coming in, a few under par wouldn't be a bad round, might be able to make up some shots the next few days, but I don't think scrambling to make the cut can be considered playing well for someone who's won as many tournaments as he has.

I expect much better than TW being any other golfer. Maybe its unrealistic, but the last few years have been difficult as a TW fan. He's contended in one golf tournament since 2013.

I don't even disagree with what you said here. My expectations are tempered because this is his first real competitive start in over a year and a half. If he still looks like this come Augusta, this post has a lot more credence.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Looks like the entire DJ/Day/Tiger group will miss the cut. What a letdown.

Would be interesting to analyze how his playing partners have done in recent years. I remember the disastrous group he was in at Chambers Bay. I wonder if the added attention and Tiger's current level is dragging down those playing with him.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Can I tell you guys what most about Tiger's two rounds worries me?

The swing.

I'm sorry, but it looks really bad.

Take a look at how unathletic that swing is, and he has no clue what he's doing. Tempo is off, open club face, missing right way too often. He clearly doesn't have control of this swing, and even if he did have control, I don't think you'd find many PGA Tour golfers with a worse swing than that.

Tiger's going to really have to start improving his short game back to what it was in 2012 and 2013 if this is going to be the swing he's playing with. I want to be optimistic, but this is like a baseball pitcher getting TJ surgery, and coming back throwing 4-5 MPH less. Not even four years ago, Tiger had one of the best swings on the PGA Tour. Its really upsetting to watch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad