Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah he's in T49 atm. Good little start.

Rahm might win

And he did win.

Don't quote me on this, I did my own research, but I believe Rahm is the fourth golfer in the last 25 years to win on the PGA Tour within a year of turning pro.

Everyone take guesses who the other three are.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
And he did win.

Don't quote me on this, I did my own research, but I believe Rahm is the fourth golfer in the last 25 years to win on the PGA Tour within a year of turning pro.

Everyone take guesses who the other three are.

I know one has to be Tiger...

The others... Rory and someone maybe?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I've mentioned this kid before (Noah Goodwin) as a really good young talent. Here's an article about him in golf week that just came out. http://golfweek.com/2017/01/29/grow...n-overcomes-health-issues-to-reach-ajga-apex/I've noticed some of the major golf outlets are starting to take notice. Tim Rosaforte of Golf Channel did a feature not too long ago.

Golf Week does rankings for Junior, Amateur, Pro, College, Team College, and all that for Men's and Women's and they use the same formula to determine all categories, there are like 10 categories they grade of golfers. His average score for his category (Boys junior) is literally almost a full shot lower than anyone else's score for their category. Its hard to put into perspective how good that is (a low 67 would lead most categories, even high 68's lead some categories, he has a low 66, second best score in any category is a low 67). The kid is pretty much a lock to be the youngest US Walker Cup'er ever, or as far as I can tell the youngest since 1926, they don't have records down to the month for 1926. He also has a legitimate chance to be youngest US Am Champion ever as well, likely going into the event as one of the favorites. And he still has another year and a half of high school left. Crazy. I'm trying not to get too hyped up, but honestly, he's bordering on best golf prospect since Tiger. Sergio, Rory, Jordan probably all could give him a run for his money in that category, but I'm hyped up to find out how good he will be.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I know one has to be Tiger...

The others... Rory and someone maybe?

Tiger, Phil, Jordan.

Good company. :laugh:

Rory doesn't really apply. He didn't start out on the PGA Tour. A lot of golfers don't apply because they didn't start on the PGA Tour. Rory didn't even win an event in his first year after turning pro, he played on the European Tour. DJ almost made this list, but he missed it by a week to a week and a half.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I didn't watch the whole thing, but it looked really bad from what I saw.

TT made it seem like he didn't drive the ball that poorly, but was hitting terrible iron shots and couldn't make any putts.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
It looks like his back is finished.

The way he was swinging, it's absolutely fine. But he's walking stiffer and definitely trying to protect it, no different than anybody who's had back injuries, really.

It's the game and the mental issues that are a major problem. For somebody who is probably the best putter in the history of the game, not being able to read and adjust to green speeds is inexcusable. The number of horrendous putts he hit short and 2 feet off line in his latest round you wouldn't see from a 10 handicapper, let alone a professional golfer. Also needs to learn how to hit fairways consistently or he's never going to score again. He was better this round but when he misses, they're shockingly bad.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The way he was swinging, it's absolutely fine. But he's walking stiffer and definitely trying to protect it, no different than anybody who's had back injuries, really.

It's the game and the mental issues that are a major problem. For somebody who is probably the best putter in the history of the game, not being able to read and adjust to green speeds is inexcusable. The number of horrendous putts he hit short and 2 feet off line in his latest round you wouldn't see from a 10 handicapper, let alone a professional golfer. Also needs to learn how to hit fairways consistently or he's never going to score again. He was better this round but when he misses, they're shockingly bad.

He's hitting up on the ball with his putting stroke, which is effecting how well he lags the ball to the hole, the ball is hopping after impact. He's completely changed his putting set-up. I wonder if its because of his back. He's changed his set up with full shots, bunker shots, putting, pretty much everything.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
ESPN just failed so badly trying to make a point about Tiger.

They set up an intro trying to make Tiger look bad where they claimed his playing partner Fitzpatrick was ranked like 130th or something like that in the world, and yet he was totally outplayed. He's 31st in the world. One of the best young golfers in the world. This is why the mainstream media should not discuss golf. Who in their right mind that knows golf would think Fitzpatrick is a nobody?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Every sport result has been **** for me since my favs, Serena and Fed, won the Aussie Open.

Oilers losing 2 in a row. Tiger looking like he already has one foot in the grave. Super Bowl with Patriots around the corner. RIP Woof's happiness.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Sports isn't going well for me either. Pretty much every team and athlete I root for is either struggling or I don't like how things are going with that team or athlete. Been a really bad sports week so far. And 2016 was a terrible sports year for me. I was so mad with AV's decisions recently that I was rooting against the Rangers tonight. They extend the guy, and then he goes all rogue with lines and pairings. I fist pumped when Buffalo tied the game in the third :laugh: But then Kreider had to ****ing win it in OT. :(

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/chamblee-tiger-looks-old-man

What does everyone think of this Chamblee hot take? Hard to disagree with him.

KaylaJ

i bent my wookie
Mar 12, 2009
hell
That opinion was pretty popular this morning.

I don't know about his back, but his demeanor was off. I mean, he keeps talking about patience which is true, but I wonder if he really believes that himself.

Apparently a bit windy today so that should make things interesting.

edit: Tiger WD, email stating bad back.

Last edited:

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Tiger just withdrew from Dubai citing lower back spasms.

Just ****ing retire already. Sick and tired of this constant dog and pony show with him. It's ****ing embarrassing.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Tiger just withdrew from Dubai citing lower back spasms.

Just ****ing retire already. Sick and tired of this constant dog and pony show with him. It's ****ing embarrassing.

No kidding. It all started when he screwed up his knee training with the Navy Seals. His body is shot. It was a good run but it's over.

According to Tiger it had nothing to do with back pain.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates -- Tiger Woods withdrew from the Omega Dubai Desert Classic on Friday morning, according to the European Tour. No reason was given.

Woods, 41, shot an opening-round 77 that included 5 bogeys and no birdies. It was his worst score in 29 rounds at Emirates Golf Club, where he has won twice and finished in the top 5 on five occasions.

At times during the first round, Woods appeared to be in distress, walking tentatively and being careful when lining up putts. This was just his third tournament start since returning from more than a year following two back surgeries in 2015.

"No, I wasn't in pain at all," Woods said when asked directly about it after the first round. "I was just trying to hit shots and I wasn't doing a very good job."

Woods is scheduled to play at the Genesis Open in two weeks followed by the Honda Classic

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, its all a little too dramatic for my liking, but I don't think he should retire yet. Give it until the end of the year. He's played 3 competitive rounds since 2015. You can't give up that quickly.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Sports isn't going well for me either. Pretty much every team and athlete I root for is either struggling or I don't like how things are going with that team or athlete. Been a really bad sports week so far. And 2016 was a terrible sports year for me. I was so mad with AV's decisions recently that I was rooting against the Rangers tonight. They extend the guy, and then he goes all rogue with lines and pairings. I fist pumped when Buffalo tied the game in the third :laugh: But then Kreider had to ****ing win it in OT. :(

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/chamblee-tiger-looks-old-man

What does everyone think of this Chamblee hot take? Hard to disagree with him.

Rooting against the Rangers is ****ing ridiculous.

Jan 3, 2012
Wow

watching GC coverage... commentator asks another "is jordan spieth able to have an elite career despite lacking the distance of day or Rory?"

Wow they can't think of anything else to discuss?

Jan 3, 2012
Would be nice.

I'd like to see a major in my lifetime. Though not high on my bucket list with regards to live sporting events. Not well setup for spectators like most sports.

Jan 3, 2012
Good start to the season for the Canadians on tour this year. Hughes with a win early, Hadwin almost winning and still in good form, and now DeLaet looking good in Phoenix. Just need the our boy Hearn to show next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad