Golf: All Purpose Golf Thread VI | 2017 PGA Tour Season: Here comes Cantlay!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Maybe one of these years. Doable trip with me being in San Diego... but it'd be behind a few other things sports wise. Still need to get out to Flushing Meadows for a US Open and Churchill for the Kentucky Derby.

I have a buddy that owns a home in San Tan Valley that has asked my wife and I to come down next year. Not sure about next year but it will happen.

Jan 3, 2012
despite starting 3 back, hideki is beginning the charge, probably going to win this.

Best player in the world and he can't even putt. That's how good he is.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
As good as Matsuyama is playing, I still question how good he can be when he is so awful with his putting and short game. His putting is flat out bad, a lot of his misses go nowhere near the hole, his stroke is so mechanic and his green reading isn't good. He also hits a lot of really poor shots around the greens. No one goes 12 months of the year hitting every fairway and hitting every approach shot to within 20 feet, unless he is going to become the best ball striker maybe ever. Eventually, you have to make some putts. I still prefer someone like Thomas to Matsuyama because he's a better putter. Matsuyama is Westwood-bad with his putting and short game.

He might be the best ball-striker in the game though. I think he's beginning to challenge Stenson for that, but Stenson level ball-striking won't be good enough to sustain this type of play. It'll either need to be a notch higher or he begins rounding out his game. None of the top players are as bad in one aspect of the game as Matsuyama is with putting. People made fun of Rory's putting a year ago, but Rory is good compared to Hideki.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
As good as Matsuyama is playing, I still question how good he can be when he is so awful with his putting and short game. His putting is flat out bad, a lot of his misses go nowhere near the hole, his stroke is so mechanic and his green reading isn't good. He also hits a lot of really poor shots around the greens. No one goes 12 months of the year hitting every fairway and hitting every approach shot to within 20 feet, unless he is going to become the best ball striker maybe ever. Eventually, you have to make some putts. I still prefer someone like Thomas to Matsuyama because he's a better putter. Matsuyama is Westwood-bad with his putting and short game.

He might be the best ball-striker in the game though. I think he's beginning to challenge Stenson for that, but Stenson level ball-striking won't be good enough to sustain this type of play. It'll either need to be a notch higher or he begins rounding out his game.

Yeah this is totally true. I guess time will tell, but if he really improves his putting, everyone could be doomed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I wonder how good Oosthuizen would be if he didn't lack motivation. The guy is top 5 in the world like one month a year and the other 11 months he's an ordinary golfer.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
An missed a 3-4 footer over a full foot outside the hole. How is that even possible? One of the worst strokes I've seen from a pro, pressure is getting to this guy.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Likely going to be another top 10 for Jordan. He's quietly playing very well. That would be five in a row in the top 10, 10 in a row in the top 25 going back to July.

Just needs to sharpen his short game, and stop making so many big numbers. Ball striking has been excellent, he's leading the PGA Tour in GIR %, he put in a lot of work on it in the offseason.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
hope so.

An in the bunker. Guy can't help himself.

Whenever I see a player in a fairway bunker in the middle of the fairway like 50-100 yards from the hole, I think of Tiger's poor lay-up in the third round at the 2012 Open. I think if he didn't make that mistake, he would've ran away with that tournament. :(

Of all his close calls not winning a major during 2012 and 2013, thats the one that haunts me the most as a fan of his. He played that tournament so well, just couldn't get out of his own way. Had no momentum going into Sunday after that mistake late on Saturday.

Jan 3, 2012
playyyyyyyyyyyyyoffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad