Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
That is to say you have no more proof that he can accomplish this, than I do that what you're relying on as "proof" isn't just a house of cards.

I'm not talking proof, I'm talking about the signs. All the signs show he can and is making progress towards getting this done. I think the fact that he's pursuing it, has gotten this far, and has other big real estate projects in the works is a pretty strong indicator that he can get this done.

There are no signs that money will be a problem. If there were I'd feel differently.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'm not talking proof, I'm talking about the signs. All the signs show he can and is making progress towards getting this done. I think the fact that he's pursuing it, has gotten this far, and has other big real estate projects in the works is a pretty strong indicator that he can get this done.

There are no signs that money will be a problem. If there were I'd feel differently.
What if any, were the signs Ellman would have money problems? And yes, I understand Meruelo is in a different league, but let’s not forget Ellman wasn’t even paying for an arena.
Don’t know if you’re a fan of “No Country for Old Men”, but “even in the case of man vs steer, the outcome is never certain”.

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
What if any, were the signs Ellman would have money problems? And yes, I understand Meruelo is in a different league, but let’s not forget Ellman wasn’t even paying for an arena.
Don’t know if you’re a fan of “No Country for Old Men”, but “even in the case of man vs steer, the outcome is never certain”.

There's plenty of real estate developments and entertainment districts that succeed too. It's easy to point to Ellman since it hit so close to home, but that doesn't make it the norm.

I know there's no guarantees, but based on what I see and hear now, I feel good about it all. Still, something could come out tomorrow that changes my level of confidence. Anyways, the money part of it is low on my list of concerns.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
There's plenty of real estate developments and entertainment districts that succeed too. It's easy to point to Ellman since it hit so close to home, but that doesn't make it the norm.

I know there's no guarantees, but based on what I see and hear now, I feel good about it all. Still, something could come out tomorrow that changes my level of confidence.
Unfortunately, it’s “Coyote norm.” :help:

Hopefully that help is on the way and I admit, I feel fairly good about this, but the only thing these guys have proven to me is hockey ops… and they stayed the hell out of that! Based on their past performance and the questions I’ve raised, I can’t be too comfortable, not yet.
Never too high
Never too low

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Are you referring to the location or the development plan?
Pretty much everything. I remember having an owner who some question his financial backing, last ditch effort to save the Coyotes, breaking ground, watching the build on state of the art facility and entertainment district. Just feels really familiar to me. I want to know / hope that something is different this time.

Knights2017

Deactivated Coyotes Fan
Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
Pretty much everything. I remember having an owner who some question his financial backing, last ditch effort to save the Coyotes, breaking ground, watching the build on state of the art facility and entertainment district. Just feels really familiar to me. I want to know / hope that something is different this time.
Yeah. The location. That matters, Glendale is still Glendale. This is essentially north Scottsdale.

Reactions: PainForShane

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
state of the art facility and entertainment district.

Ellman and Moyes couldn't pull this off. Not even close. They outkicked their coverage even without the financial crisis of 2008.

Westgate as a destination is respectable now in terms of a shopping and retail center (though hardly state of the art) but it took 10 years longer than originally intended and is still in some ways scaled down from the original plans. The Glendale arena itself was also not terribly upscale in terms of arenas even when it launched. It had good bones other than the ice plant but everything else was stuck in like 2001. The food options, the club sections, the scoreboards and displays, the concourse amenities. Zero effort was put into improving these as time went on until the very end. Most of the time they got worse.

This new district has a much more forward looking development plan for one thing. Meruelo could easily faceplant this. But he's just simply better at this than those two were. Glendale was a gamble after failed attempts elsewhere. There is no gamble with a high end commercial district in the North East valley, even if it is our last resort option. I still think TED was better for a Hockey Team, which I primarily care about as a fan. But this location is objectively better for the type of commercial district AM wants to build. The difficulty will be getting it done not making the actual district itself a success. That's the difference between this and Westgate.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Why not? I haven't heard of anything that sounds like financial issues other than speculation on HFB. It's typical for there to be many investors involved in projects this large, so it's not all on his finances alone.

Are you worried he can't afford this either? Or any of his many other ventures?

Bringing Las Vegas to Reno: Why Alex Meruelo is betting $1 billion on the BLC

When SR says that AM is still intent on other non-hockey real estate developments in AZ too, I believe it. It's not about having all the money, it's about having access to all the money. I think he's got access.

His financial capabilities have been vetted by two cities just in Arizona. Add Reno to that list and any others and he's met all of their financial requirements.
That arena in Reno looks mighty familiar.

Reactions: Arizonatah Coyetis

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Thank you, when I said state of art I believe that's how they proposed Glendale. It would be a designation lol. It's all about execution :)

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Way, way, waaaaay different. You had an owner that wanted to get rid of the team. You had a shady developer that was only using the team as a way to get his project financed. Then you had a third guy come in that didn't want the team either. None of them had anywhere near the finances to afford the team OR the project, let alone both. Throw in one of the worst crashes of any of our lifetimes and it was one big disaster. The long list of pretenders after just made it worse. Only Glendale's subsidies and ransom money, Gary Betman's stubbornness and possibly divine intervention have kept the team here this long. Hopefully the current owner is through stepping on his dick and finally gets this thing done. Not to jinx it but there doesn't seem to be anything left in his way that he can't easily overcome at this point.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Smith isn't going to do jack squat to interfere with either Meruelo or the NHL, because he knows that if he does he will immediately become persona non grata with Bettman, and you only have to look at Jim Balsillie to know what happens to people who rub the league the wrong way when it comes to their franchises.

Ishbia might be too busy with his feud with the Cavs owner to even notice this is going on.
And Smith isn’t paying $68m+ for 100 acres in a potential flood zone. ;)

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
It's very different. Listen to the PHNX podcast with Craig. They talked about the situation with previous owners before in a recent one. Think it was in the old thread, few pages back.

Moyes specifically wanted to move the team to Glendale because he was an investor and Glendale was giving him a sweet deal for working with them. It's well documented that Moyes didn't care about the hockey team or on ice product. There's a few stories from the team at that time too. Ellman DID want to succeed and have an NHL team, and when Moyes agreed to the Glendale deal he backed out immediately because he knew Glendale wouldn't be a successful location.

I'm not sure how this compares to what AM has done at all. For one thing we have a report that he turned down a 1b offer which would have doubled his money. For another he's still here 5 years later trying to get an arena.

EDIT: Burke is the one I meant, not Ellman.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's very different. Listen to the PHNX podcast with Craig. They talked about the situation with previous owners before in a recent one. Think it was in the old thread, few pages back.

Moyes specifically wanted to move the team to Glendale because he was an investor and Glendale was giving him a sweet deal for working with them. It's well documented that Moyes didn't care about the hockey team or on ice product. There's a few stories from the team at that time too. Ellman DID want to succeed and have an NHL team, and when Moyes agreed to the Glendale deal he backed out immediately because he knew Glendale wouldn't be a successful location.

I'm not sure how this compares to what AM has done at all. For one thing we have a report that he turned down a 1b offer which would have doubled his money. For another he's still here 5 years later trying to get an arena.
I doubt anyone can provide backup to that $1 billion offer.

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Ellman was going to spend 10 years building out Westgate and then sell it all (including the Coyotes.) The Coyotes were nothing but a means to an end for him. He was actually quoted saying as much.

Moyes was only interested in the real estate investment aspect of Westgate. He was never around except to hand out team awards at the last game of the season. When he took full control of the team he put the head of his trucking company in as CEO and boasted having Wayne Gretzky on a personal services contract was all he needed (and we all saw how that worked out).

Then we all found out during the BK trial when the recession hit he’d mortgaged the franchise to Michael Dell for $80 million to bailout Swift Transportation, moved the front office out of the arena into a building he and his wife owned and charged 3x the going rate for rent directly into his pocket.

KibbleandBlitz

Apr 5, 2024
why don't coyotes go back to Tempe location? make the voters understand more clearly?

Chipman isn't the money. So you don't think Jets could survive without $12 million USD subsidy despite owner being worth north of $50 billion yet Coyotes $2 billion Owner loses more than that every year and is fine? Strange thinking??

If the Team is sold for relocation I'll bet everything I own that the NHL will be getting a decent sized portion of the sale price in the form of a relocation fee.

the jets dont receive subsidies.

the government takes money from vlts and uses it for infrastructure only like arena or road repairs. the money never sees the hockey club.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Lotta misinformation here boys, let me clear some of it up.

Richard Burke was the owner who wanted to sell the team, rather than move to Glendale. In fact his original intent was to move the team to St. Paul, but an arena situation thwarted that effort (ironic eh?). Steve Ellman has been correctly characterized here in that he was a developer, looking to improve assets and reap financial reward. When Ellman refused to show the City of Scottsdale financials, he found a willing partner in the City of Glendale. Burke said that it will never work in Glendale and sold the team to Ellman, Moyes and Gretzky, the latter whom no doubt just wanted to grow the game, having had a direct impact on the growth of hockey in California.

I've met Jerry Moyes personally and had a business associate who actually leased Jerry his very first truck back in the day. Jerry once told me "I don't even know how to spell puck" and he relied heavily on Wayne as to all hockey decisions. Jerry believed in Glendale, was/is "Glendale proud" and wanted to help put his city on the map, he also of course, liked making money and had had success with Diamondback investment.

Below is what it looks like when things start to go south and after that people often do things they normally wouldn't to try to stay afloat. In Jerry's case, he tried to save "his baby" Swift Transportation.

Everyone will have their own thoughts on the viability of Meruelo's latest attempt and while there are plenty of differences in the two situations, there are plenty of similarities.

I've described in the past, what I believe to be "the perfect storm" that killed the Yotes in Glendale. In summary, the lockout and subsequent cancellation of an All-Star game killed the shiny new buzz and respectable attendance in Glendale and then the economy went to hell, killing the ED. Of course, everyone will have their own thoughts on this as well, but that's a brief summary of mine, of which I've no doubt left out plenty, considering this epic saga.

Last edited:

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Lotta misinformation here boys, let me clear some of it up.

Richard Burke was the owner who wanted to sell the team, rather than move to Glendale. In fact his original intent was to move the team to St. Paul, but arena situation thwarted that effort (ironic eh?). Steve Ellman has been correctly characterized here in that he was a developer, looking to improve assets and reap financial reward. When Ellman refused to show the City of Scottsdale financials, he found a willing partner in the City of Glendale. Burke said that it will never work in Glendale and sold the team to Ellman, Moyes and Gretzky, the latter whom no doubt just wanted to grow the game, having had a direct impact on the growth of hockey in California.

I've met Jerry Moyes personally and had a business associate who actually leased Jerry his very first truck back in the day. Jerry once told me "I don't even know how to spell puck" and he relied heavily on Wayne as to all hockey decisions. Jerry believed in Glendale, was/is "Glendale proud" and wanted to help put his city on the map, he also of course, liked making money and had had success with Diamondback investment.

Below is what it looks like when things start to go south and after that people often do things they normally wouldn't to try to stay afloat. In Jerry's case, he tried to save "his baby" Swift Transportation.

Everyone will have their own thoughts on the viability of Meruelo's latest attempt and while there are plenty of differences in the two situations, there are plenty of similarities.

I've described in the past, what I believe to be "the perfect storm" that killed the Yotes in Glendale. In summary, the lockout and subsequent cancellation of an All Star game killed the shiny new buzz and respectable attendance in Glendale and then the economy went to hell and killed the ED.

Burke confirmed that to Craig Morgan a while back. He would have kept his ownership share if they had built the Los Arcos site.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If SLC group made an offer on an existing franchise before Uncle Gary wanted it they would no longer be at front of line, anyone that doesn't know that hasn't paid much attention. You don't get to change Gary's process
Who knows?

Given what Gambadoro said the other day about Meruelo talking to other group I think somewhere inbetween there’s been discussion but only as an exit strategy between all the parties.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Who knows?

Given what Gambadoro said the other day about Meruelo talking to other group I think somewhere inbetween there’s been discussion but only as an exit strategy between all the parties.
No one has questioned that they talked to other groups. The claim has been made twice now they there has been a $1Billion off from SLC Group, and i call bs on that. If it ever gets to a relocation offer it will not be a billion to Mureulo it will be a purchase price much below that and a hefty Relocation Fee to league to make up rest of approximately $1 Billion price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad