Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Lotta misinformation here boys, let me clear some of it up.

Richard Burke was the owner who wanted to sell the team, rather than move to Glendale. In fact his original intent was to move the team to St. Paul, but an arena situation thwarted that effort (ironic eh?). Steve Ellman has been correctly characterized here in that he was a developer, looking to improve assets and reap financial reward. When Ellman refused to show the City of Scottsdale financials, he found a willing partner in the City of Glendale. Burke said that it will never work in Glendale and sold the team to Ellman, Moyes and Gretzky, the latter whom no doubt just wanted to grow the game, having had a direct impact on the growth of hockey in California.

I've met Jerry Moyes personally and had a business associate who actually leased Jerry his very first truck back in the day. Jerry once told me "I don't even know how to spell puck" and he relied heavily on Wayne as to all hockey decisions. Jerry believed in Glendale, was/is "Glendale proud" and wanted to help put his city on the map, he also of course, liked making money and had had success with Diamondback investment.

Below is what it looks like when things start to go south and after that people often do things they normally wouldn't to try to stay afloat. In Jerry's case, he tried to save "his baby" Swift Transportation.

Everyone will have their own thoughts on the viability of Meruelo's latest attempt and while there are plenty of differences in the two situations, there are plenty of similarities.

I've described in the past, what I believe to be "the perfect storm" that killed the Yotes in Glendale. In summary, the lockout and subsequent cancellation of an All-Star game killed the shiny new buzz and respectable attendance in Glendale and then the economy went to hell, killing the ED. Of course, everyone will have their own thoughts on this as well, but that's a brief summary of mine, of which I've no doubt left out plenty, considering this epic saga.
This is a great post, thanks for the timelines and recap of what actually happened.

I run in some circles of investment banking in Phoenix the last 30 years, so plenty of connections in business here. Ellman had a reputation before the coyotes deal as that of a developer trying to make deals with mirrors, saying what he had to say to get a deal done, and using almost exclusively other peoples money. He didn't have a good reputation before the Coyotes/Glendale transaction.

Meruelo is the opposite. His reputation before the Coyotes is that of a guy that puts up his own capital and has had numerous success's in distressed situations. I was thinking about this in regards to other business's I have been invested in or as an executive. An early stage business or a turn around situation (Coyotes) requires a leader with Grit. It's the number 1 reason, I think anyway, why tougher situations become successful. I think we have that with Meruelo, at least his track record speaks of it anyway. The way guys like this are wired, is it becomes important for them to prove they can pull it off.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
This is a great post, thanks for the timelines and recap of what actually happened.

I run in some circles of investment banking in Phoenix the last 30 years, so plenty of connections in business here. Ellman had a reputation before the coyotes deal as that of a developer trying to make deals with mirrors, saying what he had to say to get a deal done, and using almost exclusively other peoples money. He didn't have a good reputation before the Coyotes/Glendale transaction.

Meruelo is the opposite. His reputation before the Coyotes is that of a guy that puts up his own capital and has had numerous success's in distressed situations. I was thinking about this in regards to other business's I have been invested in or as an executive. An early stage business or a turn around situation (Coyotes) requires a leader with Grit. It's the number 1 reason, I think anyway, why tougher situations become successful. I think we have that with Meruelo, at least his track record speaks of it anyway. The way guys like this are wired, is it becomes important for them to prove they can pull it off.
You're welcome and thank you.

The business acumen of the two individuals is close to night and day, for certain.

Reactions: cobra427

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I've described in the past, what I believe to be "the perfect storm" that killed the Yotes in Glendale. In summary, the lockout and subsequent cancellation of an All-Star game killed the shiny new buzz and respectable attendance in Glendale and then the economy went to hell, killing the ED. Of course, everyone will have their own thoughts on this as well, but that's a brief summary of mine, of which I've no doubt left out plenty, considering this epic saga.
People discount this way too much. Those of us that were directly effected by it know how much the crash hurt and basically killed Glendale and Westgate. I watched from across the street and on hand at games and frequenting Westgate often the dwindling of people at games and all the businesses there. I saw many restaurants/bars open and close after the crash. Before it you could hardly get a spot anywhere. It's really great to see how Westgate and all the land around it has thrived in recent years. I hope Meruelo gets everything he needs completed before the next inevitable crash when the current bubble bursts. Buy gold and silver!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
People discount this way too much. Those of us that were directly effected by it know how much the crash hurt and basically killed Glendale and Westgate. I watched from across the street and on hand at games and frequenting Westgate often the dwindling of people at games and all the businesses there. I saw many restaurants/bars open and close after the crash. Before it you could hardly get a spot anywhere. It's really great to see how Westgate and all the land around it has thrived in recent years. I hope Meruelo gets everything he needs completed before the next inevitable crash when the current bubble bursts. Buy gold and silver!
The location at the 101 and Scottsdale rd will be way more insulated from an economic downturn than the Westgate area for a variety of reasons.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The location at the 101 and Scottsdale rd will be way more insulated from an economic downturn than the Westgate area for a variety of reasons.
I know a person should never say never, but I doubt we will ever see a crash like in 08. There will always be corrections with the economy, but like you said Scottsdale is much more insulated.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No one has questioned that they talked to other groups. The claim has been made twice now they there has been a $1Billion off from SLC Group, and i call bs on that. If it ever gets to a relocation offer it will not be a billion to Mureulo it will be a purchase price much below that and a hefty Relocation Fee to league to make up rest of approximately $1 Billion price.
It was a report by a journalist.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Lotta misinformation here boys, let me clear some of it up.

Richard Burke was the owner who wanted to sell the team, rather than move to Glendale. In fact his original intent was to move the team to St. Paul, but an arena situation thwarted that effort (ironic eh?). Steve Ellman has been correctly characterized here in that he was a developer, looking to improve assets and reap financial reward. When Ellman refused to show the City of Scottsdale financials, he found a willing partner in the City of Glendale. Burke said that it will never work in Glendale and sold the team to Ellman, Moyes and Gretzky, the latter whom no doubt just wanted to grow the game, having had a direct impact on the growth of hockey in California.
Sorry yes, I meant Burke in my post not Ellman.

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Feel free to post that report.
Why don't you get off your lazy ass and do a quick google search instead of asking everyone and their mother do their work for you? It's not our fault you're ignorant and refuse to do any research yourself. The burden of proving us wrong goes to you, not us. Or maybe you can acknowledge you might be talking out of your ass and that whatever you say simply is designed to fit your agenda? Better yet shouldn't you be focusing on the Leafs playoffs run? Surely you have more productive things to do than type out this drivel. I heard that AM guy is lighting it up this year.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Why don't you get off your lazy ass and do a quick google search instead of asking everyone and their mother do their work for you? It's not our fault you're ignorant and refuse to do any research yourself. The burden of proving us wrong goes to you, not us. Or maybe you can acknowledge you might be talking out of your ass and that whatever you say simply is designed to fit your agenda? Better yet shouldn't you be focusing on the Leafs playoffs run? Surely you have more productive things to do than type out this drivel. I heard that AM guy is lighting it up this year.
In the real world those who make a claim should be required to provide backup. You seem much more concerned about the Leafs on here than I ever do?? Maybe talk to someone about that.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Feel free to post that report.
Sirius xm hotstove. Pagnotta

“According to two separate sources, Smith has even offered to purchase the Coyotes for a significant sum, well beyond the current valuations per Forbes and Sportico, and is willing to cover the relocation fee on top of it. Whether that offer was formally in writing or something vocalized is semantical, but the overall price of doing so would be less than the expansion fee and the NHL remains firm on its position on the Coyotes.“

Took 2 seconds to find it.

U can search the sirius website to find the episode when he uttered the “billion” number.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Haven't you guys learned that EVERYONE makes up shit regarding the Coyote's, especially these jokers that are thousand of miles away and don't put in any effort to source out the claims to see if it's true.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

“According to two separate sources, Smith has even offered to purchase the Coyotes for a significant sum, well beyond the current valuations per Forbes and Sportico, and is willing to cover the relocation fee on top of it. Whether that offer was formally in writing or something vocalized is semantical, but the overall price of doing so would be less than the expansion fee and the NHL remains firm on its position on the Coyotes.“

Took 2 seconds to find it.

U can search the sirius website to find the episode when he uttered the “billion” number.
Yes, he said he is ready to take a team immediately and pay. Now show me the offer to Mureulo for $1 billion. Cause this does not prove that. And that was your assertion, a billion to Mureulo.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
One where they list $1Billion figure.

Yes, he said he is ready to take a team immediately and pay. Now show me the offer to Mureulo for $1 billion. Cause this does not prove that. And that was your assertion, a billion to Mureulo.
  • The Coyotes will deny it publicly ‘til the cows come home, but Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith discussed a major offer, believed to be around $1B offer, to buy the team and relocate them to Salt Lake City – understanding the need to cover the NHL’s relocation fee, as well. I first reported this on Feb. 7. The attempt was rejected, and I don’t think talks escalated beyond that, but an offer was made in some fashion.

See below

Haven't you guys learned that EVERYONE makes up shit regarding the Coyote's, especially these jokers that are thousand of miles away and don't put in any effort to source out the claims to see if it's true.
And u don’t believe in Morgan. So essentially no journalist matters. Well then I don’t know what to tell you. U ask for proof. Its provided. Not good enough because this journalist in your mind isn’t credible. Why ask then if no matter what i sourced it wasn’t going to be accepted.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
One where they list $1Billion figure.

• The Coyotes will deny it publicly ‘til the cows come home, but Utah Jazz owner Ryan Smith discussed a major offer, believed to be around $1B offer, to buy the team and relocate them to Salt Lake City – understanding the need to cover the NHL’s relocation fee, as well. I first reported this on Feb. 7. The attempt was rejected, and I don’t think talks escalated beyond that, but an offer was made in some fashion.

See below

And u don’t believe in Morgan. So essentially no journalist matters. Well then I don’t know what to tell you. U ask for proof. Its provided. Not good enough because this journalist in your mind isn’t credible. Why ask then if no matter what i sourced it wasn’t going to be accepted.
An offer was made in some fashion and everyone denies it a month ir so after Morgan reported that the Coyotes never even met with Smith. I still have huge doubts under Uncle Gary's watch. I'm sure everyone knows the lay of the land and Smith is first call if needed but I highly doubt an offer was launched and turned down under Uncle Gary.

Reactions: Jakey53

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
An offer was made in some fashion and everyone denies it a month ir so after Morgan reported that the Coyotes never even met with Smith. I still have huge doubts under Uncle Gary's watch. I'm sure everyone knows the lay of the land and Smith is first call if needed but I highly doubt an offer was launched and turned down under Uncle Gary.
well now u can doubt the source instead of doubting the person who posted the report. Enjoy.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
...it sounds more like Smith talking with the league about options to get a team to SLC and nothing beyond it, never said who they discussed it with. The league probably did tell AM that Smith is interested in getting a team to Utah!

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad