Confirmed with Link: All-Purpose Coyotes Arena Talk: [Update] Land Auction Cancelled, Meruelo waiving ownership rights.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
Of course, the Yotes are footing the infrastructure which could reduce the cost of the other 100 acres.
Precisely.

Re: Floodplains

Every other development in that immediate area is in the same floodplain. Looking at how they handled it would be a key to what Meruelo will probably need to do.
I promise it’s already in the project plan.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It sounds to me like the only way they can lose this auction is through incompetence, aka low balling their bid. They should know going in who the other bidders are if there are any and how much theirs has to be to win. No way something this big stays under wraps to the point you can't dig up the particulars. This again is another reason they could use a person with strong Arizona connections. Hopefully they have or will bring someone on board to help get this thing across the goal line.

I'm not sure what will feel better: Knowing the team is staying for good or not having to talk about this for the first time in 2 decades.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’ve got a feeling they are going to be the only bidders
Would make sense if it were any other franchise besides the Coyotes.

It sounds to me like the only way they can lose this auction is through incompetence, aka low balling their bid. They should know going in who the other bidders are if there are any and how much theirs has to be to win. No way something this big stays under wraps to the point you can't dig up the particulars. This again is another reason they could use a person with strong Arizona connections. Hopefully they have or will bring someone on board to help get this thing across the goal line.

I'm not sure what will feel better: Knowing the team is staying for good or not having to talk about this for the first time in 2 decades.
Can’t low ball the bid.

Must come to the auction with a $15 mil check, bidding starts at appraised value

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Would make sense if it were any other franchise besides the Coyotes.

Can’t low ball the bid.

Must come to the auction with a $15 mil check, bidding starts at appraised value
By low balling I mean bidding less than anyone else. No way that should happen. It was incompetence to think the Tempe vote was anything but a long shot. If they lose this, they didn't do anything to improve their management team. Imo of course.

Reactions: Nowotny

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
While I'm glad XG is being honest, I don't think it's great that this is apparently our last horrah to keep the team here. Craig said in as many words that it might be Meruelo's last chance- I hope that means that the NHL would look for another owner that wants to keep them in ARI. I think there's a super low chance of that happening, but I'd rather have that than just immediately be relocated.

There should be basically no reason we don't win this and there should be no reason we don't have an arena.

Of course, we're the Coyotes, and that means nothing.

I'm still pretty confident this is going to end up with an arena for us, but if it doesn't happen...well I won't be relieved or de-stressed. It'll f***ing suck. I'll probably stop giving a shit about the NHL for a long time and probably hockey as a whole since NHL is mostly what I'm interested in and it's hard to give a shit with this kind of thing going on. It'll also be a huge blow to youth hockey.

The only positive is that if it doesn't work out I won't have to read another Jamieh or Jakey53 post ever again, thank god for that at least.

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
I'm still pretty confident this is going to end up with an arena for us, but if it doesn't happen...well I won't be relieved or de-stressed. It'll f***ing suck. I'll probably stop giving a shit about the NHL for a long time and probably hockey as a whole since NHL is mostly what I'm interested in and it's hard to give a shit with this kind of thing going on. It'll also be a huge blow to youth hockey.
This. I probably won't care about the NHL at all if the Coyotes are relocated. I've had enough of NHL fans. If that happens, I'm switching to following the SHL.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
Scottsdale is making and has made improvements protecting its residents etc. and in doing so is diverting a lot of potential water to this area of Phoenix.

Phoenix has two flood mitigation projects in the planning stages, and according to a document (link below) from the Phoenix Deputy City Manager, if all goes well, the parcel in question will no longer be designated a flood zone.

1712407028761.png

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
No names. The investors are going in on the whole thing with Muerelo . They’re all working together as a team. There won’t be any left overs to build anything on.
So all 100 or so acres will be developed? That's two and a half times bigger than TED. I don't think people realize how big 100 acres are, especially in a city. I think TED was $1B in total cost so this will be around $2.5B. WOW.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Not sure why a developer, unless purely to screw the Yotes, would suddenly want this 100 acres when there is another 100 acres right next to this one. And for years it was 200+ acres for the bidding.
Not really. The State has to decide to put the land up for auction. I think I read somewhere that this land was not available when the Coyote's first started looking, before they decided on Tempe.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It's a reserved auction. How are they going to low ball?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
By low balling I mean bidding less than anyone else. No way that should happen. It was incompetence to think the Tempe vote was anything but a long shot. If they lose this, they didn't do anything to improve their management team. Imo of course.
I don't think it will happen, but if someone comes in a bids a crazy amount to the point you can't make a ROI you pull out. I know you and others blame AM for the TED vote, but when dumb society gets involved anything can happen. Tempe residences blew it big time, not AM. Anyway, it's water under the bridge, and this development is going to be bigger and better than whatever TED was going to be.

MIGs Dog

Jan 3, 2012
It's a reserved auction. How are they going to low ball?

What he means is that suppose there are two bidders. Coyotes bid the minimum. Bidder 2 bids minimum plus $100k.

Before bidding, is it possible to know if there are other bids? I'd hire Jason Bourne to find out.

Reactions: RemoAZ and Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
While I'm glad XG is being honest, I don't think it's great that this is apparently our last horrah to keep the team here. Craig said in as many words that it might be Meruelo's last chance- I hope that means that the NHL would look for another owner that wants to keep them in ARI. I think there's a super low chance of that happening, but I'd rather have that than just immediately be relocated.

There should be basically no reason we don't win this and there should be no reason we don't have an arena.

Of course, we're the Coyotes, and that means nothing.

The only positive is that if it doesn't work out I won't have to read another Jamieh or Jakey53 post ever again, thank god for that at least.
:laugh::laugh: Didn't know you were a comedian. If you don't like reading my posts put me on your ignore list. I like reading everyone's posts, everyone's points of views etc. I agree it will devastate youth hockey.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Phoenix has two flood mitigation projects in the planning stages, and according to a document (link below) from the Phoenix Deputy City Manager, if all goes well, the parcel in question will no longer be designated a flood zone.

View attachment 846956

That takes effect after the flood control improvements are complete. Not sure how long that would take but I would think it would be after the start of construction, so if I'm reading this correct AM would have to meet current requirements.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

I think they have the COP on their side. Phoenix collecting all this tax money from a huge development that is basically in Scottsdale would be a huge feather in their cap.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
What he means is that suppose there are two bidders. Coyotes bid the minimum. Bidder 2 bids minimum plus $100k.

Before bidding, is it possible to know if there are other bids? I'd hire Jason Bourne to find out.
I believe the auction will continue until there's only one bidder left, at a price that the others choose to pass on. The starting bid will be the assessed value.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017

Arizonatah Coyetis

Formerly Kai Yo T
Nov 27, 2006
Scottsdale, AZ
Yeah, don't think it works like a silent auction where you submit only one anonymous bid, like at a charity event. They can keep increasing their bid as necessary to win. They'd be competing in real time, Barrett-Jackson like.

Last edited:

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Re: Floodplains

Every other development in that immediate area is in the same floodplain. Looking at how they handled it would be a key to what Meruelo will probably need to do.
They haven't handled it very well, imo..... IE: have not done enough to mitigate a potential problem.

Saw your link in my research yesterday, did not post because nothing has been done to date.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheLegend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad