All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think hamiltons wanting to leave... might have more to do with how boston treats soft skilled players. we can trace or history back to guys like thornton/wheeler/kessel/seguin... and even further back... our media leads our fan base into being very unforgiving to our soft skilled young players here in boston.

when Hamilton was drafted I was very impressed how smart he is. I hoped this would help him 'adjust' his style to what was necessary for success here. I hoped he would develop a larry robinson style of play. I never expected he would get a killer attitude on the ice, but I at least hoped to see signs that he would step up when necessary.

im guessing Hamilton really doesn't want to do that and he was 'smart enough' to see the writing on the wall. if he did resign here he would become public enemy number 1 and end up miserable.

a gm doesn't have much to do with that... its fans and media that have been turning on our young for as long as ive been a bruin fan. we own that. we can point our fingers at ourselves for that.

as for chiarelli giving out money to guys that wanted raises...

he didn't do that for boychuk and the fans here demanded he be fired for it. just imagine the uproar if he let krejci or Bergeron or chara or rask leave when they were up for their last contracts. its a fun fantasy to imagine these guys would sign for less than going rate but its really just a fantasy.

a lot of fans say chris Kelly is overpaid. I wish those fans can explain why matt stajan got paid... why did boyde Gordon get paid... why did lars eller get paid... why did brian bolland get paid... why did Brandon sutter get paid... why did jarret stoll get paid...

it turns out that these guys all got paid because that's what the market pays a thir line center that scores 15 goals and picks up 35 points.

our fans can freak out over the Kelly contract but all it really means is our fans are clueless to the reality of nhl contacts.

it actually turns out that when a team wins a cup... the players on the team have a lot of bargaining power because everyone wants them. when brian bolland becomes an ufa he gets 5 mill cause he won a cup in Chicago. when Andrew ference becomes an ufa a team like Edmonton jumps all over him.

if we need to deal rich peverly and the mess he was... we will find a taker because cup experienced vets will always be in high demand. Gregory Campbell and shawn thornton might be useless to us... but other teams lick their lip to get these guys.

our players were on fair contracts... the reason our cap is maxed is cause we have a deep team full of good players. when tsn ranks the top 50 players in the nhl last year boston has more guys in the list than anyone because we have a deep team with lots of good players

we have more playoff success than anyone in the nhl {along with Chicago and LA} during the chiarelli years because we have a good team with good players.

now.. time marches on. Chiarelli kept the core together for as long as possible to give us a chance to win. Las Vegas odds makers had us rated as the favorite to win the cup last year because they agreed chiarelli was doing one hell of a good job.

then injuries crippled us... chara and Seidenberg has career worst seasons... krejci was ineffective the entire season... no one stepped up for extradinary seasons to offset the loss of these 3 guys. iginla/boychuk were rightfully rewarded with new contracts to play elsewhere...

we got slammed but that happens... its happening to Chicago... its happening to LA... it happens...

chiarelli lost his job cause neely is power hungry. neely wanted to get rid of chiarelli for years. neely couldn't do it because chiarelli was too successful. a single season after going to the finals, neely pounced. it was 100% political move. neely hired his buddy to jump in and take over.

it might work... I like neely/Sweeney. I didn't like chiarelli... so maybe it will work??? I hope it will work... but its disingnerous to say that chiarelli was fired for just cause. chiarelli was hugely successful here. the second he was fired, he was given a huge contract to take over another franchise that bent over backwards to clean house of the owners best friends to make room.

this other market is very excited at the good movies chiarelli is making to turn their fortunes around just like he did the same thing for us.

it was chiarelli that completely rebuilt bostons defense in his first 2 years here... chiarelli that opened the doors for chara/ward/ference to form the new nucleus and then made the wise move to move out morris and bring in Seidenberg... who approved deals to take chances on boychuk and mcquaid who were minor league cast offs from other franchises...

chiarelli completely rebuild the defense... chiarelli hired Julien to come in and put in our system... chiarelli worked hard to find us elite goal tending...

then chiarell approved a system where our forwards were told to work their butts off to make it work.

if a player was very gifted offensively like wheeler/kessel/seguin but refused to buy into the team system that was successful... chiarelli had the guts to move these guys and bring in players that would play the bruin way.

you don't need to enjoy the style of play... but you must admit that the choices led to team success.

eventually Neely's desire for power tied chiarelli's hands. success and interference. we will never know what chiarelli could have done to continue the success because neely wanted him gone and was part of the process... neely and the younger Jacobs... both wanted a change and didn't really care that we were successful.

they grabbed power, so lets hope they can deliver. in the meantime I have no doubt at all chiarelli will make the oilers cup contenders within a couple seasons and keep them there for most the next decade.

Good post. Obviously we disagree on some key parts; but I appreciate the the deep dive.

It's hard to know why Hamilton wanted to leave. Right now, all we can speculate. Probably the truth is somewhere in the middle-- maybe wasn't thrilled by the intense media. Maybe wasn't thrilled with Julien's system or demands. Maybe was a bit isolated on the team and didn't fit in well. Probably all of these things are true to some extent. At some point, Hamilton might talk, but even then, we can't be sure what he says is the actual truth, given all the PR spin these days.

Chiarelli kept the "core" together, but then also made some bad moves, some minor (overpays for Kelly, keeping around Soupy), some bad (Boychuk trade) some disastrous (Seguin trade return). Certainly, he hit up against some bad luck, with Krejci and Chara injuries. But with aging players, this will happen, so you need to have cap flexibility to accommodate it if it happens. A plethora of bad minor moves by Chiarelli added up to big problems when things go a little awry.

I give Chiarelli credit for building our D core-- key to our Cup win-- and also the Kessel trade, which at the time was a master stroke. Unfortunately, he completely undid the brilliance of that move by the terrible Seguin trade return. I'm also not convinced he would had done better dealing Hamilton, given his moves on Seguin/Boychuk.

I don't have any evidence that Neely is "power hungry" but no doubt he played a key role in Chiarelli's firing. But I don't think we need suggest grand conspiracies. Chiarelli probably could have been given a second chance, as Julien had, but I think his firing was also justified in the context. The Seguin trade itself was a fire-able offense, IMHO, but that wasn't why he was likely fired. The Bruins had seemed to lose any fire, passion, toughness, lost their identity, and were also in a very difficult spot cap wise and it wasn't clear Chiarelli could dig the Bruins out. And in ways, you could say we moved Hamilton in order to replenish a bone dry well of prospects that suffered at the hands of Chiarelli's bad drafting (he may not have scouted, but he has to answer for it as GM).

So we thanked Chiarelli for his service and he moved on to a good opportunity in Edmonton. History will still need to judge Chiarelli's tenure here. We know about the successes (a Cup, a Cup final, and a President's Trophy) and the failures (Seguin trade, cap management, weak drafting), but we're still working out the impact of his cap mismanagement and years of bad drafting...

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I remember going all the way back to our cup win... and how there was all sorts of talk that chiarelli/Julien were going to be fired if we lose to montreal in round 1 that year.

I mean... in a way I understand it... because chiarelli/Julien are outsiders. they aren't bruin family. Jacobs/neely/Sweeney and their buddies are bruin blood. these are guys who go way back in boston being boston.

I personally... have often admitted I don't like chiarelli/Julien on a very superfiscial level. I have run out the idea of trading Julien to another team. I suggested that we hire guys like terry oreilly to gm here because he would bring back what it meant to be bruin.

so, im an idiot probably... but that said, I have to still call a spade a spade.

I second guessed chiarelli every step of the way and all he did is win us 1 cup... make us a cup favorite 5 years in a roll... give us one powerhouse team after another to cheer for...

the dude had a plan and stuck to it even at the cost of making very bold moves.

then in his last year here... neely basically hung him out to dry and some fans here thought they were so freaking cute mocking chiarelli for bad contacts and 'evaluating.'

I became tremendously embarrassed to be associate with some of these fans. thankfully most of them are band wagon jumpers and now that the team is likely going to return to the old mess we were before chiarelli... these fans wont be around anymore. me? I let this team control my every waking moment since around 1975... ill be around even in years like 1996 when we definitely didn't have anyone as smart as chiarelli running the show.

neely is one of my heroes. hes a true bruin. so im getting my wish now to see a true bruin running the show. if it blows up in my face I have to admit... I asked for it. if Hamilton wants out I have to admit... I asked for it. I like many of us old timers here, have a certain expectation of my team to live up to the bruin identity.

now we will all see whether or not that means success in playoffs. the chiarelli way meant success in playoffs. the dude deserves some credit for having given us one of the bet 7 year runs of bruin playoff in my 40 years as a fan

I just don't know and nobody know how much Neely gets involved. That's what bothers me. I agree with you, I'm a fan no matter what. Building teams is as much luck as brains. Chiarelli is a smart guy. Did he get lucky with some of his signings to start ? He also had good and bad trades to win the the cup. He screwed up on contracts and fell in love with his players. That isn't Neely trying to get him. What's he's opposed to do when he sees his team with no wiggle room to rightened the ship. Injuries only are a small problem. The system needs correction on how they are playing. Teams have neutralized it with the players we have. Chiarelli wasn't his guy. Ok. He still won a cup with him, but now he made a change and we all think he had it in for him? It happens everywhere. It's his job to make a change just like every other GM that's out there. Some presidents are involved in everyday transactions and some aren't. We simply don't know. I don't think he is but I don't know.

Sorry to hijack thread. Now back to trade rumors!!!!!!

Last edited:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
its starting to feel like the bruins don't have a lot of bullets left in the gun... cap space is pretty much spent. tradable assets are pretty much traded.

I keep wondering if theres a move that makes sense of krejci for a dman but that move made way more sense when we still had soderberg as a fall back plan.

maybe if the devils were to ever part company with adam Larson or if Nashville suddenly made seth jones available... we'd have to kick tires on something like that.

overall though its hard to really see anything else happening now. the cody franson thing is interesting but ultimately I think the hold up is cap space. I cant really see franson being affordable unless the plan is to move on from krug.

I guess the team could still be shopping Eriksson since hes 1 year from ufa and has value... but feels to me he would have moved already if that was the case.

we did get a lot of bang for our buck already this off-season as far as moves go... might be time to just let things settle and see what happens

I think you're right that the trading Krejci ship has sailed now that Soderberg is gone. His NMC also just kicked in July 1st so he now has complete control over where he goes which would make any deal tough. If one or Jones of Larsson are available though you're correct in your assertion that Boston should pursue targets like that.

As for Franson. I don't get why people (not just you) seem to see Krug as a viable piece to move if the team brings in Franson. Krug has elite hockey IQ, he may be the only defensmen currently on the roster who does. He just thinks the game faster than most and combined with his wheels is the most dangerous tranistion player we have on the backend. Franson just doesn't have that IQ, speed or passing to aid Boston in transition which is where they seemed to really fall short last year. The Franson talk is also puzzling because after the McQuaid signing it would seem we would have a top-4 of Chara, Seids, McQuaid and Franson which would be abysmal for transition and one of, if not the least mobile top-4 in the league. In which case I'd probably see Seids as the person the axe would come down on and I think he's a Sweeney kind of player.

Eriksson seems like a good trade deadline piece to try and get Sweeney another 1st should Boston be out of it. 3 more 1st could help Boston move up if possible or really restock the prospect pool which Sweeney has really put on emphasis on.

I 100% agree with your last statement though. I think the moves we saw are it for the summer, at least until maybe just before/after camp. I think if the defense is going to be more mobile, that Sweeney will have to let some of the kids come up and take shoulder some of the minutes. Morrow seems ready to go and C.Miller had a huge year in the AHL and looks like he's earned at least a look this year. I see an infusion of youth coming up and what could be a season very short on wins but high on excitement. I think the team will be flying around the ice and PPs more frequent letting guys like Spooner, Krug, Connolly, and Pasta really showcase their skill. I see Hayes as a beast on the PP parked right on top of the blue paint and a lot of creativity.

Regardless of where they finish next year this could be one of the most excited I've been to see how a team gels and what they can do. Maybe it's that "shiny new toy" mentality but I think it's a fact this team has less talent but far more impressive tools across the roster and is on the right track to getting back to what being a Bruin means.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
No idea what you're talking about re: number he wears.

Pretty self explanatory as I discussed it right above what you bolded. People have whipping boys and once they do, it biases the way they look at things. If Morrow played exactly the way he did, but was wearing a Bartkowski or Seidenberg jersey, many here would have a different opinion about his play. Because he's a first round pick and hasn't been up in the lineup long enough for everyone to pick up on the warts, people see what they want to see.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Good post. Obviously we disagree on some key parts; but I appreciate the the deep dive.

It's hard to know why Hamilton wanted to leave. Right now, all we can speculate. Probably the truth is somewhere in the middle-- maybe wasn't thrilled by the intense media. Maybe wasn't thrilled with Julien's system or demands. Maybe was a bit isolated on the team and didn't fit in well. Probably all of these things are true to some extent. At some point, Hamilton might talk, but even then, we can't be sure what he says is the actual truth, given all the PR spin these days.

Chiarelli kept the "core" together, but then also made some bad moves, some minor (overpays for Kelly, keeping around Soupy), some bad (Boychuk trade) some disastrous (Seguin trade return). Certainly, he hit up against some bad luck, with Krejci and Chara injuries. But with aging players, this will happen, so you need to have cap flexibility to accommodate it if it happens. A plethora of bad minor moves by Chiarelli added up to big problems when things go a little awry.

I give Chiarelli credit for building our D core-- key to our Cup win-- and also the Kessel trade, which at the time was a master stroke. Unfortunately, he completely undid the brilliance of that move by the terrible Seguin trade return. I'm also not convinced he would had done better dealing Hamilton, given his moves on Seguin/Boychuk.

I don't have any evidence that Neely is "power hungry" but no doubt he played a key role in Chiarelli's firing. But I don't think we need suggest grand conspiracies. Chiarelli probably could have been given a second chance, as Julien had, but I think his firing was also justified in the context. The Seguin trade itself was a fire-able offense, IMHO, but that wasn't why he was likely fired. The Bruins had seemed to lose any fire, passion, toughness, lost their identity, and were also in a very difficult spot cap wise and it wasn't clear Chiarelli could dig the Bruins out. And in ways, you could say we moved Hamilton in order to replenish a bone dry well of prospects that suffered at the hands of Chiarelli's bad drafting (he may not have scouted, but he has to answer for it as GM).

So we thanked Chiarelli for his service and he moved on to a good opportunity in Edmonton. History will still need to judge Chiarelli's tenure here. We know about the successes (a Cup, a Cup final, and a President's Trophy) and the failures (Seguin trade, cap management, weak drafting), but we're still working out the impact of his cap mismanagement and years of bad drafting...

I think the bold has more to do with Charlie Jacobs than Cam Neely. Charlie came out publicly and said if the team didn't make the playoffs that there would be changes. I think CJ painted himself into a corner and realized his credibility would take a hit if something wasn't done. A quick lesson on media misuse and putting your foot in your mouth for CJ here. I truly couldn't say how much of it was CJ or Neely but this was my opinion on it.

Also I think the team was at an impasse. I see a GM too enamored with what he created in 2011 and trying to hard to hold on to pieces that outlived their shelf life. I think the vision of "what was" clouded Chiarelli's judgement on "what is" and in the end forced him into some bad trades and poor cap decisions.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think the bold has more to do with Charlie Jacobs than Cam Neely. Charlie came out publicly and said if the team didn't make the playoffs that there would be changes. I think CJ painted himself into a corner and realized his credibility would take a hit if something wasn't done. A quick lesson on media misuse and putting your foot in your mouth for CJ here. I truly couldn't say how much of it was CJ or Neely but this was my opinion on it.

Also I think the team was at an impasse. I see a GM too enamored with what he created in 2011 and trying to hard to hold on to pieces that outlived their shelf life. I think the vision of "what was" clouded Chiarelli's judgement on "what is" and in the end forced him into some bad trades and poor cap decisions.

Well put. I think the difference between say LA and Chicago, that have had multiple Cup wins in recent years, and Boston (who could have had multiple Cup wins) is that the former teams really focused on a central core of key players, and were ruthless in moving other players-- even good ones-- to retain that core. Chiarelli took a wider more liberal view of what the Bruins' Cup "core" was, and it has cost us.

As for Sweeney and Neely, I think they're certainly assembling a more entertaining team. That's good. But I also hope they want to quickly get back to Cup contention.

I like winning. And I hate losing, especially to the Habs.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I'm not as ready as some in this thread to write off Seidenberg yet. My hope is that he & Chara see a bit of resurgence in their games this coming season. With Hayes on board, Julien should take Chara off the PP thus cutting his minutes down a bit. With Morrow Krug C.Miller etc.. I think the point on the PP is covered.

I love the direction the team is headed. I agree with those suggesting it will be an exciting brand of hockey. Fast & physical. Lots to look forward to: Will Krejci & Erikkson finally get a chance to work some magic on a line together? Will Spooner & Pastrnak continue to build on their chemistry? Will Connolly finally show why he was drafted 6th overall & could he be the RW sniper this team desperately needs? Will one of the blue line kids step up & surprise the fan base? With Beleskey being put in a position to succeed can he once again score 20+ goals?

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well put. I think the difference between say LA and Chicago, that have had multiple Cup wins in recent years, and Boston (who could have had multiple Cup wins) is that the former teams really focused on a central core of key players, and were ruthless in moving other players-- even good ones-- to retain that core. Chiarelli took a wider more liberal view of what the Bruins' Cup "core" was, and it has cost us.

As for Sweeney and Neely, I think they're certainly assembling a more entertaining team. That's good. But I also hope they want to quickly get back to Cup contention.

I like winning. And I hate losing, especially to the Habs.

I don't lump LA and Chicago in together. LA has guys like Brown and Carter signed until they are 100 years old...and they might not be getting out from under that Richards contract either. Chicago has been far more aggressive in moving out non-core parts. Hard to find fault with them after 3 Cups, but it looks like they overreached on Sharp, Bickell and Crawford now.

I will say the juxtaposition of people complaining about the Bruins not being more ruthless on non-core players, but them bashing the Bruins for moving Boychuk instead of giving him almost as much as Bergeron is fascinating.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Oduya holding out in hopes the Hawks can clear room to sign him.

Babcock tells Dubas not to trade Phaneuf.

Ehrhoff - had my ear chewed off on this one.

Franson - This is the $4.8 million dollar question

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

I'd do Franson for the $4.8 as long as term is 4 years or less

He's much better than what people are saying here to me- I think he'd thrive on this team

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Oduya's Hawks chances are getting thin, Kruger is the 1st guy they would re-sign and they need to get rid of both Sharp and Bickell to get enough cap room.

"Jay Zawaski @JayZawaski670

Just spoke with a great source. Bickell is basically "unmovable" and only 1 or 2 teams are willing to take on Sharp's contract."

tells you that Oduya should start looking at different team, do you know if Boston is after him?

Ehrhoff is supposedly ready to make a cheap contract with the Hawks like Richards did last year and that makes Oduyas' situation even tougher.

I may be completely wrong but I've been trying to follow lot of Hawks threads and those have come up a lot.

That's a good price for Franson if that's the number.
But please give me atleast 2 strong skating D's, Krug can't do it on his own.

Last edited:

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I'd do Franson for the $4.8 as long as term is 4 years or less

He's much better than what people are saying here to me- I think he'd thrive on this team

We went with 5 on Beleskey (27) and 4 on McQuaid (29 when season starts). Why would we draw the line at 4 on Franson (28)?

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I'm sort of glad that teams aren't willing to just blatantly help out the Hawks cap troubles. They are fighting for every inch right now. The Saad trade they got a decent return on, but not great (and they had to give up additional parts). Nobody really wants that Bickell contract unless they get to give up a bad part in return. And while Sharp is a good player, nobody wants to to have to have a nearly 6 million dollar cap hit for the next two years on a guy thats starting to trend down at age 33.

Hawks will definitely take a step back next year, but they're a great drafting team and they'll find a way to come through the brush. Good to see teams not holding their hand through it like before though.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Oduya's Hawks chances are getting thin, Kruger is the 1st guy they would re-sign and they need to get rid of both Sharp and Bickell to get enough cap room.

"Jay Zawaski @JayZawaski670

Just spoke with a great source. Bickell is basically "unmovable" and only 1 or 2 teams are willing to take on Sharp's contract."

tells you that Oduya should start looking at different team, do you know if Boston is after him?

Ehrhoff is supposedly ready to make a cheap contract with the Hawks like Richards did last year and that makes Oduyas' situation even tougher.

I may be completely wrong but I've been trying to follow lot of Hawks threads and those have come up a lot.

That's a good price for Franson if that's the number.
But please give me atleast 2 strong skating D's, Krug can't do it on his own.

You'll just have to trust me when I say "he's holding out hope that the Hawks can fit him in." Whether they can or not is a different story. Doesn't mean they aren't giving it 100% effort.

It takes two teams to make a trade - not always easy. Especially when one team is in cap hell. Bruins fans should know that all to well;)

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey

I forgot to comment on this.

If you truly want to know what management is thinking about assets, signings, trades and such, the last thing anyone should do is read what fans think - because the two rarely ever jive.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We went with 5 on Beleskey (27) and 4 on McQuaid (29 when season starts). Why would we draw the line at 4 on Franson (28)?

Zboril-Colin Miller-Carlo, lots of strong D prospects in the system who should be ready by then, 3y is the ideal.

You'll just have to trust me when I say "he's holding out hope that the Hawks can fit him in." Whether they can or not is a different story. Doesn't mean they aren't giving it 100% effort.

It takes two teams to make a trade - not always easy. Especially when one team is in cap hell. Bruins fans should know that all to well;)

When I respond to your posts I always know you set me straight :laugh:

And like I said I know they both truly want that but they are over the cap and short on men already. If there's a chance they wil 100% do it.

I'd start looking into moving Seabrook, get a strong D prospect for him and save ton of cap, they also have already strong right handed D prospects ready to step up.
They have to re-sign Seabrook-Shaw-(Versteeg) and Anisimovs' new contract kicks in after next year, if they push themselfs against the cap again this offseason someone has to go again and assuming they traded Sharp this offseason it leaves just Seabrook.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I forgot to comment on this.

If you truly want to know what management is thinking about assets, signings, trades and such, the last thing anyone should do is read what fans think - because the two rarely ever jive.

I didn't mean just fans, been trying to read lot of NHL rumours and NHL reporters too, everyone seem to say that they truly want to re-sign Oduya and that they have a deal ready if they can move enough cap.

But you find a lot of interesting tweets from those threads.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
Zboril-Colin Miller-Carlo, lots of strong D prospects in the system who should be ready by then, 3y is the ideal.

When I respond to your posts I always know you set me straight :laugh:

And like I said I know they both truly want that but they are over the cap and short on men already. If there's a chance they wil 100% do it.

I'd start looking into moving Seabrook, get a strong D prospect for him and save ton of cap, they also have already strong right handed D prospects ready to step up.
They have to re-sign Seabrook-Shaw-(Versteeg) and Anisimovs' new contract kicks in after next year, if they push themselfs against the cap again this offseason someone has to go again and assuming they traded Sharp this offseason it leaves just Seabrook.

That's great. Good luck getting the player then.

If Zboril, C. Miller, and Carlo are all ready for top 4 roles in 5 years, there are a number of avenues we can take.

We're not a rebuilding team, let's worry about what holes prospects can fill when they're good and ready. If Franson is still a solid player in 3 years, he can be moved for other assets.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

My feeling if they are young identified cornerstone players and the character is at the time impeccable I go 6. If it's a secondary/good solid top 4 D or top 9 forward my preferences is 4 years.

The problem is guys like David Bolland are getting 5+ years and in his case absurb money.

I actually don't like Boychuk deal with the Islanders but like Seidenberg's term and money. Chia got that one right but the player got hurt.

McQuaid ideally to me is even a rung lower and 3 years was my preference

As Mick Jagger sang 'you can't always get what you want'

But to me this is my view
McQuaid 3/8
Beleskey 4/16
Franson 4/18
Hamilton 6/33

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
My feeling if they are young identified cornerstone players and the character is at the time impeccable I go 6. If it's a secondary/good solid top 4 D or top 9 forward my preferences is 4 years.

The problem is guys like David Bolland are getting 5+ years and in his case absurb money.

I actually don't like Boychuk deal with the Islanders but like Seidenberg's term and money. Chia got that one right but the player got hurt.

McQuaid ideally to me is even a rung lower and 3 years was my preference

As Mick Jagger sang 'you can't always get what you want'

But to me this is my view
McQuaid 3/8
Beleskey 4/16
Franson 4/18

Sure, we prefered Beleskey at 4, went to 5, I'd do the same with Franson, wouldn't have signed McQuaid at all. That cap space would be really handy to sign Franson.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That's great. Good luck getting the player then.

If Zboril, C. Miller, and Carlo are all ready for top 4 roles in 5 years, there are a number of avenues we can take.

We're not a rebuilding team, let's worry about what holes prospects can fill when they're good and ready. If Franson is still a solid player in 3 years, he can be moved for other assets.

I was just guessing with that, I'd be looking only for that missing top pairing D who would replace Chara as our #1D, without that you can't win in this league.
I'd use my assets/cap on finding that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad