All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Because Chia showed his hand and got taken to town, it is hindsight but was Morrow really toured higher than Klingberg? I wasn't on the boards then.

yes, Klingberg was a 5th round pick, he was ranked 3rd behind Morrow and Oleksiak at the time

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think Miller/Krug could be a second pair easily.

You mean something like this?

Chara - XXXX (Franson?)
Krug - K. Miller
Seids - McQuaid

If we move Seids to make room for FRanson, then we have to hope Trotman, C. Miller, or Morrow can step up and partner with McQuaid on the third pairing?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
hindsight is 20/20. he was a B prospect a the time.

also, it should have been Eriksson + Morrow + 10th overall

I have no ****ing idea how you trade Tyler Seguin and don't get that #10 pick.....

There are many things about Chiarelli's tenure that amazes me. This is but one.

PatriceBergeron

Apr 7, 2014
MA
There are many things about Chiarelli's tenure that amazes me. This is but one.

What amazes me even more is looking at all these other contracts around the league. Kane and Toews 10M+. Tarasenko 7M+.

Meanwhile Seguin is locked up @ 5.7M until 2020 and we let it go for that return.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
What amazes me even more is looking at all these other contracts around the league. Kane and Toews 10M+. Tarasenko 7M+.

Meanwhile Seguin is locked up @ 5.7M until 2020 and we let it go for that return.

Amazing Chiarelli Fact #3049450

Sign a bunch of bad contracts and have us hard against the cap making it very, very difficult to re-sign our #1 D, and then later, when you're the new Edmonton GM, play hardball and threaten offer sheets for that player in trades, and refuse to return a good D prospect in return (Nurse), all the while knowing we will find it hard to match because of the contracts Chiarelli himself penned and signed.

I mean you gotta have serious brass balls for that sort of thing.

captain stone

Jul 10, 2004
Hershey PA
Sweeney needs to do everything within reason to trade AT LEAST one of Chara & Seidenberg, preferably both, because they're only going to get worse.

Let the kids - Morrow, Trotman & the Millers - play along with Krug & McQ. They were acquired/drafted by this organization for a reason; let's see how they look at Thanksgiving.

If Chara can be convinced that he isn't part of the future here (which he isn't), then maybe he'll agree to a trade that will leave some cap space to sign a younger yet experienced DMan.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Seids or Kelly makes a lot more sense. But I feel like Dom was cryptically suggesting earlier that Kelly was not going to be moved..

No cryptic message, just my own personal opinion. There's four options with Kelly:

1) Trade him now
2) Trade him at the trade deadline
3) Extend him
4) Let him walk for nothing

Again, my own personal opinion is they choose option 2.

I also don't buy into the idea that if you sign Franson, you have to move Seidenberg. To me, it's a no brainer. You have both on the squad.

Of course, the question becomes "how do you fit both under the cap?" The answer to that question is not easy, and I haven't really wasted much of my time trying to figure it out because, frankly, we have no idea what kind of dollars are being discussed.

And I use that phrase "what kind of dollars are being discussed" in all seriousness, because I do believe there are discussions.

I also don't buy into anything with E4 in it. If it comes from Bobby Mac, or Friedman then I'm more than comfortable with that. Just as much as if I heard it with my own two ears from someone with knowledge of the situation.

Back to Kelly though, While there is a list of 8 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to right now, his choices make the Bruins virtually unwilling to do so. By trade deadline, those 8 teams could be expanded or different. Not that it is a systematic option in his contract, but there are ways to entice a player to accept a trade that is not on his list, or was on his list to start the season.

I don't buy into the notion that players with NTC can not be moved as is the opinion of many on this board. In fact, I think it's the exact opposite. I've said it a thousand times: In the history of the league, there have been two instances of a player refusing outright to waive his NTC, Mats Sundin and Darryl Sittler, the latter eventually waiving two years later.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Seidenberg makes more defensive plays than anyone on the team. Even last year.

Still can't see how virtually no one recognized how well Keven Miller played last year and how much of hit the B's took when he went down in the Calgary game (when the Bruins were up 3-0 and lost 4-3).

Seids was bad in 2013-14 before his injury. Last year he was a complete trainwreck. His lack of mobility affected his decision making which was always his strongpoint, I'll be pleasantly surprised if he ever becomes even a decent 2nd pairing Dman again. If I was Donny I'd see what kind of futures I could get for him before his value goes down even more.

I agree with K Miller, thought he played pretty steady last season, problem is we need more speed on the backend.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
No cryptic message, just my own personal opinion. There's four options with Kelly:

1) Trade him now
3) Extend him

I also don't buy into the idea that if you sign Franson, you have to move Seidenberg. To me, it's a no brainer. You have both on the squad.

Of course, the question becomes "how do you fit both under the cap?" The answer to that question is not easy, and I haven't really wasted much of my time trying to figure it out because, frankly, we have no idea what kind of dollars are being discussed.

And I use that phrase "what kind of dollars are being discussed" in all seriousness, because I do believe there are discussions.

I also don't buy into anything with E4 in it. If it comes from Bobby Mac, or Friedman then I'm more than comfortable with that. Just as much as if I heard it with my own two ears from someone with knowledge of the situation.

Back to Kelly though, While there is a list of 8 teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to right now, his choices make the Bruins virtually unwilling to do so. By trade deadline, those 8 teams could be expanded or different. Not that it is a systematic option in his contract, but there are ways to entice a player to accept a trade that is not on his list, or was on his list to start the season.

I don't buy into the notion that players with NTC can not be moved as is the opinion of many on this board. In fact, I think it's the exact opposite. I've said it a thousand times: In the history of the league, there have been two instances of a player refusing outright to waive his NTC, Mats Sundin and Darryl Sittler, the latter eventually waiving two years later.

Thanks Dom, very helpful stuff, as usual.

I think you're right, that a trade deadline move for Kelly is the best scenario and possibility at this point; if the teams he's listed are a no-go.

As for the rest, it does seem highly speculative to assume someone has to be moved in order to sign Franson, given that we have some cap breathing room now, and we also have no idea what kind of numbers we're talking.

I *have* read that Toronto's offer would require Franson to take a "hometown discount" to stay there. Since way back in February, there were stories suggesting the Leafs were willing to do 3 years at 4.4-4.5m a year, I'm assuming that they're probably staying put on that offer, and Franson may be looking either for a longer term or a slight bump in the money: (http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/id/34400/rumblings-leafs-wont-bend-on-offer-for-cody-franson)

If Franson is not settling for that Leaf offer, I predict that if we sign Franson, it'll be something around $5m/3years, or maybe a little over that...

That also shows what an incredible deal Shattenkirk is under his current contract....

PS: My "cryptic" comment was in reference to Glory's deciphering an earlier one line post of yours. He understood it, but I clearly didn't!

Last edited:

FONZIE

AYYYYYY!!!!
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Moved to NC, it's warmer than WI :)
Sweeney needs to do everything within reason to trade AT LEAST one of Chara & Seidenberg, preferably both, because they're only going to get worse.

Let the kids - Morrow, Trotman & the Millers - play along with Krug & McQ. They were acquired/drafted by this organization for a reason; let's see how they look at Thanksgiving.

If Chara can be convinced that he isn't part of the future here (which he isn't), then maybe he'll agree to a trade that will leave some cap space to sign a younger yet experienced DMan.

This is something I could get behind.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

1) Trade him now
3) Extend him

We have right now 5.6M cap space and no backup, 13th forward/1D is missing, so backup+13th forward should leave us in the 4M range with cap space, Franson made 3.3M last year so I guess it's pretty safe to say we need around 2M cap savings from somewhere(if he asks anything over 3M+). 1 article on Franson said he was looking for Petry money(5.5M), don't know how much he is now asking.

I can't see Marchand-Bergeron-Krecji-McQ-Chara-Rask being moved for cap space, Hayes-Connolly-Pasta-Spooner-Kemppainen-Talbot-Rinaldo won't save us anything.

Krug-Lou-Kelly-Seidenberg are the only ones who could give us cap space.

Last edited:

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
hindsight is 20/20. he was a B prospect a the time.

also, it should have been Eriksson + Morrow + 10th overall

I have no ****ing idea how you trade Tyler Seguin and don't get that #10 pick.....

the reason he didn't get the #10 pick was because the trade was made on july 4th.

i assume there were a lot of offers on the table at the draft. did dallas ever make an offer with the 10th pick? no clue. they also had our own 1st round pick that year, from the jagr trade.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
Really, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that I speak for (myself and) others here who thought that he looked pretty good in his own end.

I agree. I watched all of Morrow's games and he looked pretty solid. I cannot say the same for Zach Trotman, he is big and that is about it. We will not go anywhere with Trotman and or Kevan Miller in our lineup, mark it down...

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Amazing Chiarelli Fact #3049450

Sign a bunch of bad contracts and have us hard against the cap making it very, very difficult to re-sign our #1 D, and then later, when you're the new Edmonton GM, play hardball and threaten offer sheets for that player in trades, and refuse to return a good D prospect in return (Nurse), all the while knowing we will find it hard to match because of the contracts Chiarelli himself penned and signed.

I mean you gotta have serious brass balls for that sort of thing.

amazing chiareli fact... gets us to the finals 2 of the last 5 years. the other 2 teams that also got to the finals have a lot of players on 'good contracts' who make their payroll tight to the max

interesting how teams that are successful... are often successful because they are loaded with good players {who happen to be able to get good contracts}

ironically many crappy teams that have no sniff of playoff success are constantly buying out contracts or just letting their players go to the ahl and bounce out of the league.

our guys are in high demand... we like to keep them ourselves because they are good players, but whenever we lose one theres no shortage of teams lining up to take the guy.

we are keeping Kelly because we like him... not because we are stuck with him.

this is a team whose core did go to the finals 2 seasons ago... but a lot of our fans wont want to remember this because it makes them look like ungrateful self-entitled whiners when they cry 'poor me'

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
the reason he didn't get the #10 pick was because the trade was made on july 4th.

i assume there were a lot of offers on the table at the draft. did dallas ever make an offer with the 10th pick? no clue. they also had our own 1st round pick that year, from the jagr trade.

Is there a trade we can think of where Chiarelli didn't get steamrolled by Dallas?

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
amazing chiareli fact... gets us to the finals 2 of the last 5 years. the other 2 teams that also got to the finals have a lot of players on 'good contracts' who make their payroll tight to the max

interesting how teams that are successful... are often successful because they are loaded with good players {who happen to be able to get good contracts}

ironically many crappy teams that have no sniff of playoff success are constantly buying out contracts or just letting their players go to the ahl and bounce out of the league.

our guys are in high demand... we like to keep them ourselves because they are good players, but whenever we lose one theres no shortage of teams lining up to take the guy.

we are keeping Kelly because we like him... not because we are stuck with him.

this is a team whose core did go to the finals 2 seasons ago... but a lot of our fans wont want to remember this because it makes them look like ungrateful self-entitled whiners when they cry 'poor me'

Chiarelli helped us win a Cup. I won't forget that.

He also badly mismanaged the cap, failed to use compliance buyouts, handed out NTCs/NMCs like Christmas candy, gave away Seguin for a disastrous return and didn't get enough for Boychuk either, failed to replace Seguin, failed to replace, Boychuk, failed to replace Iginla, couldn't figure out how to move Kelly after several years under a bad contract, failed to force Julien's hand by moving Campbell, Paille, and others he over-relied upon. I mean I could go on.

Chiarelli's mistakes arguably cost us Cup window years-- and a better team-- for our actual core (Bergy, Chara, Krejci, etc) by failing to make moves on peripheral players.

You could also argue that since he was GM for most of Hamilton's tenure, Hamilton wanting to leave rests at his door too. I wonder if he knew, and if he did, I wonder if he disclosed it to Sweeney? I doubt we'll ever really know.

This is a rational assessment of Chiarelli's tenure. He wears the successes and the failures. Why shouldn't he?

Last edited:

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Agree here. His breakout passes were great, his skating was great, and his positioning was good. Trotman in his first stint was burned so many times in front of the net just standing in la la land instead of clearing the crease. He did look better in his second stint, but Morrow even with the what, 10 games? Looked better.

I also thugght that Morrow performed well during his brief stint last year. I think that the coaching staff told Morrow to concentrate on his defensive game, and he acquitted himself well. I am cautiously optimistic that he makes the team next season and will become a top-four defenseman for Boston.

I have less confidence in Trotman, but hope that he will turn out well.

The stats can be misleading. You are welcome to think otherwise, I am just not a fan. There's a reason why Morrow was on his third team before he was 21 and it was him and not Klingberg in the Segs deal.

yes, Klingberg was a 5th round pick, he was ranked 3rd behind Morrow and Oleksiak at the time

Came here to say the same thing. Klingberg wasn't on the radar at the time. He came out nowhere last year.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
We have right now 5.6M cap space and no backup, 13th forward/1D is missing, so backup+13th forward should leave us in the 4M range with cap space, Franson made 3.3M last year so I guess it's pretty safe to say we need around 2M cap savings from somewhere(if he asks anything over 3M+). 1 article on Franson said he was looking for Petry money(5.5M), don't know how much he is now asking.

I can't see Marchand-Bergeron-Krecji-McQ-Chara-Rask being moved for cap space, Hayes-Connolly-Pasta-Spooner-Kemppainen-Talbot-Rinaldo won't save us anything.

Krug-Lou-Kelly-Seidenberg are the only ones who could give us cap space.

I don't think he gets Petry money, but 5.25m/3years, yeah.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't think he gets Petry money, but 5.25m/3years, yeah.

So thats' +3M and means we need atleast 2M savings :laugh: I guess we have to have some room in the cap?

Just meant on that post that he is going to get anything between 3-5.5M and it means we need to find atleast that 2M cap, only 4 players can give us that without going close to rebuild mode.

Krug-Lou-Seidenberg-Kelly are the options,
-Kelly saves us the least, 2.1-2.3M(kemppainen/Talbot)
-Krug saves about 2.5-2.7M, (C.Miller/Morrow)
-Seidenberg 3.2M( or close to +/- 0 if we swap Franson to Seids. Around 3M cap left with that.
-Lou can saves us 1.25M if we put Kelly into his spot on the top9 or around 3.5M.(Koko/x)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad