All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
I was just guessing with that, I'd be looking only for that missing top pairing D who would replace Chara as our #1D, without that you can't win in this league.
I'd use my assets/cap on finding that.

Some of the guys you mentioned might be assets to get that guy. Even with Z we had Hamilton and Boychuk, and once we didn't we didn't get very far.

Last edited:

CashMash

Jun 5, 2015
Finland
We're out of Franson seems

Yeah, sure seems like it now that we got Irwin. Dunno if I'm that confident about him. Anyway, Franson may have asked for too much...If so, rather keep a little extra salary for other players later, we will get even more when we no longer have to pay for Lucic and if we shed some cap later on (Kelly, for example), we will be in good shape.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I don't lump LA and Chicago in together. LA has guys like Brown and Carter signed until they are 100 years old...and they might not be getting out from under that Richards contract either. Chicago has been far more aggressive in moving out non-core parts. Hard to find fault with them after 3 Cups, but it looks like they overreached on Sharp, Bickell and Crawford now.

I will say the juxtaposition of people complaining about the Bruins not being more ruthless on non-core players, but them bashing the Bruins for moving Boychuk instead of giving him almost as much as Bergeron is fascinating.

Every team has some bad signings -- but Carter and Brown is hard to knock-- Brown was key contributor to the first Cup win, led the team in scoring, and Carter the second, also among team leaders; and Carter has scored 25+ goals for them in three straight seasons, including the strike season. Sharp, Bickell and maybe even Crawford for Chicago but they also moved plenty of good goales and nickle and dimed Crawford, before finally settling on Crawford long term. But Crawford has won them Cups. So, there's that.

LA also made moves between their first and second Cups, moving a bunch of non-core players. They moved Dustin Penner, Rob Scuderi, Colin Fraser, Andrei Loktionov, Simon Gagne, not terrible players, but not core. They then had the cap flexibility to bring in Gaborik who played a key role in the 2013/14 Cup win.

By comparison, they move Penner, we lock in Chris Kelly to an overpaid contract. Oh, and we sign Simon Gagne last year, years after LA traded him.

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but my big critique of the Boychuk trade is not necessarily that he was moved (though in hindsight, that was a bad decision with Seids' regression), but the fact that Chiarelli made zero moves over the entire summer to free up cap space, so we'd have the flexibility to retain Boychuk and start the season cap compliant, if the offers out there were not good, and instead move him at the deadline. Boychuk should have fetched a much, much, better return. Or, in the alternative, do not re-sign Seids and instead commit to long term to Boychuk before his trade became inevitable.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Because of Irwin?

What if we're moving another D (e.g., Seids) in order to clear space for a Franson deal?

Irwin would be taking Seids' spot, perhaps.

I saw tough to play against and I thought ofcourse Irwin fits into Sweeneys' plans :laugh:
He is trying to build 1 tough lineup with elite speed soon.

Irwin is left hand and Franson right hand and he costs us .800M so I don't know why would we be out on Franson due to this.

IRWIN SCORED ON PRICE, this is the real reason we got him! :laugh:

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
This D situation is perplexing.....

2015 Defense Depth Chart

Left
Chara
Seidenberg
Krug
Irwin
Morrow
Arnesson
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon

Right
McQuaid
K.Miller
Trotman
C.Miller
Carlo

Some restructuring may be in order. :naughty:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I saw tough to play against and I thought ofcourse Irwin fits into Sweeneys' plans :laugh:
He is trying to build 1 tough lineup with elite speed soon.

Irwin is left hand and Franson right hand and he costs us .800M so I don't know why would we be out on Franson due to this.

IRWIN SCORED ON PRICE, this is the real reason we got him! :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:

Bmessy

Nov 25, 2007
East Boston, MA
Morrow better get a real chance this year. This kid is good. I'm not a fan of Trotman.
We may have to ditch Krug at the deadline and give Morrow and the new Miller their shots.
3.4+mil for a 5th Dman when you hardly have two top four defenseman is not the best idea. Unless Krug shows us he can be a #4 puck mover

Last edited:

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
early opinion on my trade boards message is that we are better off keeping our current core. If we can't trade Krug for a definitive upgrade, moving Seids and/or Mcquaid isn't worth it.

I honestly think the group as it stands right now isn't bad. Invite a few veterans to camp and let things sort themselves out.

If we could move Krug plus for Shattenkirk though; I'd make that move 7 days a week, depending in the 'plus' of course.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I posted a(n earlier) version of the Bruins cap situation a couple of nights ago. Here's an updated look with Irwin added. Someone please correct me if I am mistaken with any of this.

12 Forwards: Krejci ($7.25M), Bergeron ($6.875M), Marchand ($4.5M), Eriksson ($4.25M), Beleskey ($3.8M), Kelly ($3.0M), Hayes ($2.3M), Connolly ($1.025M), Spooner ($950k), Pastrnak ($925k), Talbot ($900k), Rinaldo ($850k)
$36.625M

7 Defensemen: Chara ($6.916667M), Seidenberg ($4.0M), Krug ($3.4M), McQuaid ($2.75M), Irwin ($800k), K. Miller ($800k), Trotman ($625k)
$19.291667M

1 Goalie: Tuukka Rask ($7.0M)
$7.0M

1 Retained: Milan Lucic ($2.75M)
$2.75M

Performance Bonus Overage: $969k
$969k

12 Forwards, 7 Defensemen, 1 Goalie Total: $66.635667M
Current Cap Space: $4.764333M

The Bruins will most likely carry 13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen and 2 Goalies during the regular season. Right now, it seems like Joonas Kemppainen ($792.5k) + Jeremy Smith (600k) will fill out the roster.

13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen, 2 Goalies Total: $68.028167M
Projected Cap Space: $3.371833M

Using an AAV that was floated on here for a Cody Franson addition ($4.8M), the Bruins would be ~$1.428167M over the cap if that contract was added right now.

As Dom (and others) has pointed out, the Bruins are going to want to bank some cap space going into the season. There's also the possibility that Sweeney will decide to add an experienced backup goalie.

If Franson is close to signing, I think the Bruins would like to move at least $3.5M off of the current team in order to accommodate Franson + a possible backup goalie signing + moving forward with some available space. Keep in mind that they will have 8 Defensemen on the roster if they sign Franson.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Isn't Bergeron's cap hit $6.5 Million? His extension was 8 years/$52 Million. Cap geek had him at $6.5M.

Talbot originally signed with the Flyers for 5 years/$8.75 Millon. That's $1.75/per. The Avalanche supposedly retained 50% of his cap hit. That would make his upcoming cap hit $875K?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

2015 Defense Depth Chart

Left
Chara
Seidenberg
Krug
Irwin
Morrow
Arnesson
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon

Right
McQuaid
K.Miller
Trotman
C.Miller
Carlo

I don't know a team that has worse right group than we do and we are trying for playoffs :help: :laugh: Someone please save us. Looking at that makes me want Franson with under 5M cap hit.

Isn't Bergeron's cap hit $6.5 Million? His extension was 8 years/$52 Million. Cap geek had him at $6.5M.

Talbot originally signed with the Flyers for 5 years/$8.75 Millon. That's $1.75/per. The Avalanche supposedly retained 50% of his cap hit. That would make his upcoming cap hit $875K?

We have 4.8M left and need 13th forward/backup.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
I don't know a team that has worse right group than we do and we are trying for playoffs :help: :laugh:

I think you can just add any of Ferlin/Kemppainen/etc to the list as 13th forward, they aren't going to sign anyone.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
I don't know a team that has worse right group than we do and we are trying for playoffs :help: :laugh: Someone please save us. Looking at that makes me want Franson with under 5M cap hit.

How about

Bos 1st

For

Trevor Daley (1m retained)

InterimGM

May 6, 2015
How about

Bos 1st

For

Personally, I wouldn't move either of those 1sts until you see how the early part of the season goes unless it's for a potential core guy. I like Daley, but he's not that. Chara or Rask goes down and that pick is potentially top 10 (might be anyway).

InterimGM

May 6, 2015

2015 Defense Depth Chart

Left
Chara
Seidenberg
Krug
Irwin
Morrow
Arnesson
O'Gara
Zboril
Lauzon

Right
McQuaid
K.Miller
Trotman
C.Miller
Carlo

I'm hoping the restructuring is Seidenberg, but fearing it's Krug or Morrow.

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
Daley is not worth a first, maybe a 2017 1st. We should keep both our 2016 firsts unless we can get a young #1-2 Dman with one in a package.

I think the retained money helps. He'd be a top 4 right side dman for 2.3m for 2 years. Veteran guy. We don't need 5 1sts in 2 years. The pool is full now, 1 1st will do next year

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think you can just add any of Ferlin/Kemppainen/etc to the list as 13th forward, they aren't going to sign anyone.

For sure, that's just what our roster looks like now on capfriendly, with Kemppainen we have 4.1M left and are missing backup.

How about

Bos 1st

For

That 1st is worth a lot now, those should be only moved for top pairing D who is in his early prime or make a package for 2nd overall.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Let's get real here, why would the B's trade their only real puck moving PP QB, makes zero sense. Don't know what Sweeney is doing next but I really doubt Krug is getting moved. What makes more sense is moving the likes of Kelly and/or Erikkson, 2 guys who don't fit the profile of the new regime's direction in that they are slow and aging, Kelly in particular should be moved for a bag of pucks if necessary as we could use that 3 mil cap space.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
I think the retained money helps. He'd be a top 4 right side dman for 2.3m for 2 years. Veteran guy. We don't need 5 1sts in 2 years. The pool is full now, 1 1st will do next year

But if that pick is in the top 10 or even worse one of the top 3 we just gave away a probable better player for a temporary D man who is a #3 at best. Just bad asset management in my opinion. Unless it's Klingberg coming back I don't even want to do business with Dallas ever again. Gives me bad memories. The pool might be full but you can always make room for a top 10 pick or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad