All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
Perhaps. You never want to spend to the very top. Solid point.

Dont get me wrong Travis. I dont believe we are near contention this year. If they want to throw any one of those kids in and see what they got Im ok with that. Gotta swim in the deep end sometime.

this feels like... the year after Lewis to me? I'm okay if the miss the playoffs; but, i want to see them fight like hell.. i just want to see the effort, every night.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I think counting on Seidenberg to be anything more than our 5th #5/6 defenseman is probably foolish. He was supposedly almost ready for Game 7 two seasons ago and with an entire offseason he was awful last season.

I think we should be prepared for the fact that his decline last season might have a lot more to do with age and wear and tear than his knee.

He's not that old and is an absolute physical specimen. The guy does 45 minute post game work outs. That's nuts!

Knee injuries are some of the hardest for athletes, especially ones in contact sports with a lot of stopping and starting to come back from. Not always because they have lingering effects that can hinder performance but because you don't have that trust in your own knee and mentally it takes time to get over that. His training, his skating, hitting, everything he does might have been hampered by his own self doubt and him questioning his body. And honestly, who could blame him? This is profession after all.

I think you're also overlooking that Seids looked to be one of Boston's best defesnemen after the all star break and truly took over for a still recovering Chara and a struggling Hamilton. A full year and a half removed from the injury we should see major strides. This is truly going to be a make or break season for him, if he gets back to form then Boston has a solid #2 again at a steal of a contract, if not it may be time to move on from him.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
this feels like... the year after Lewis to me? I'm okay if the miss the playoffs; but, i want to see them fight like hell.. i just want to see the effort, every night.

Funny you should mention that because I just text a buddy of mine that: We may not see the wins we were hoping for but I have a feeling the fight, drive and intensity will be back and this team should be a hell of a lot of fun to watch.

Looking forward to the years ahead when Sweeney's vision hits it's full stride.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
He's not that old and is an absolute physical specimen. The guy does 45 minute post game work outs. That's nuts!

Knee injuries are some of the hardest for athletes, especially ones in contact sports with a lot of stopping and starting to come back from. Not always because they have lingering effects that can hinder performance but because you don't have that trust in your own knee and mentally it takes time to get over that. His training, his skating, hitting, everything he does might have been hampered by his own self doubt and him questioning his body. And honestly, who could blame him? This is profession after all.

I think you're also overlooking that Seids looked to be one of Boston's best defesnemen after the all star break and truly took over for a still recovering Chara and a struggling Hamilton. A full year and a half removed from the injury we should see major strides. This is truly going to be a make or break season for him, if he gets back to form then Boston has a solid #2 again at a steal of a contract, if not it may be time to move on from him.
i thought he played some impressive games last year down the stretch. i didn't see the drop off in his play that has led to the tide turning on him.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
I like Dougie and wished he'd have stayed...but....

IF they sign Franson for $4.5 - $5 mil, it's similar to trading Dougie for Franson, a 1st, and 2 Seconds, and saving about a mil off the cap.

Not too shabby.
it makes some sense if franson can approximate what dougie would have given you. i just don't think that highly of franson. i also like seidenberg and krug more than most people. i don't think franson is any better than those guys.

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Sorry I didnt get back to you (my battery died :D ).

Not buying can be a viable alternative. The tipping point is does the FO truly believe Trotman, Morrow and/or C. Miller are ready for the role?

I dont know. If they are then this makes it a helluva lot easier. But my gut tells me if they are after Franson then even they arent truly convinced yet.

They'd better not be truly convinced, because these guys, while showing potential, haven't proven it yet.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
it makes some sense if franson can approximate what dougie would have given you. i just don't think that highly of franson. i also like seidenberg and krug more than most people. i don't think franson is any better than those guys.

Last season 53 defencemen scored 30 points or more, and Franson was one of them. He fills the offensive hole by left Dougie. The only question marks are his play in his own zone, but we know that Dougie was no saint in that department either. Not yet at least.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
Last season 53 defencemen scored 30 points or more, and Franson was one of them. He fills the offensive hole by left Dougie. The only question marks are his play in his own zone, but we know that Dougie was no saint in that department either. Not yet at least.

is he actually good offensively or is he a guy you put on the powerplay of a crappy team and he stands there like a statue and occasionally steps into one? he probably wouldn't be worse than dougie defensively but that's why they didn't want to pay dougie the big bucks.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
People need to understand that it usually takes a full year of actually playing on a repaired ACL to get back to normalcy.

Now, Seidenberg may never get back to the level he was at prior. Its not inconceivable that he can be a good 3 next year. I thought he was better towards the end of the season and I hope to see even more progress once camp rolls around.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
is he actually good offensively or is he a guy you put on the powerplay of a crappy team and he stands there like a statue and occasionally steps into one? he probably wouldn't be worse than dougie defensively but that's why they didn't want to pay dougie the big bucks.

Just looked up his stats and only 5 of his 36 points last season were on the PP. Lower than I expected

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Let's change hated to dreaded.

With hated I didn't mean that we need to be punch of idiots who don't know how to play hockey :laugh:
I want us to be able to do everything and do them well, that others would know you can't outskate us, you will pay the price(hits) and we can score and be hated to play against.+ have few players like Marchand and Beleskey who will drive you crazy :laugh: .

We have a chance to be elite skating team in 1-2 years, we've added few hopeful scorers and we have done it without sacrificing the size.

Dreaded would have been a good word to describe it.

Kelly out.
Franson in.

And at a lower number than 5.3.

DS will continue to get good deals. 4.5-4.75 per.

No, it would have to be Seidenberg, we can't have the slowest D group in the league.
Chara-Seids-Franson top4 can't happen, we still need a top pairing D and how will our prospects ever get the chance to play for us if we have 5 spots locked up?

Last edited:

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

I strongly disagree with this. I remember reading a few posters claim this at the time and I disagreed then. He cost us multiple goals per week in the last month of the season. IMO he was a trainwreck all year.

Along with every d-man we have aside from Chara, he's now a bottom pairing defenseman. I think there's a chance a kid or two may prove to be better than that (Krug, Trotman, C. Miller?), but as of now I think we have holes at #1, #3, #4. We have several #5's, #6's and #7's though.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
With hated I didn't mean that we need to be punch of idiots who don't know how to play hockey :laugh:
I want us to be able to do everything and do them well, that others would know you can't outskate us, you will pay the price(hits) and we can score and be hated to play against.+ have few players like Marchand and Beleskey who will drive you crazy :laugh: .

We have a chance to be elite skating team in 1-2 years, we've added few hopeful scorers and we have done it without sacrificing the size.

Dreaded would have been a good word to describe it.

No, it would have to be Seidenberg, we can't have the slowest D group in the league.
Chara-Seids-Franson top4 can't happen, we still need a top pairing D and how will our prospects ever get the chance to play for us if we have 5 spots locked up?

we still need Seids even if we got Franson, the D is not good

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour

I think Franson could approximate what Dougie would have given you now, or next year.

In 5 or 6 years I expect Dougie to be better than Franson at his best.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
we still need Seids even if we got Franson, the D is not good

No we don't, you can't build one of the slowest D groups in the league when you want us to be faster and get offense through speed.
Everytime Sweeney talks he says he wants us to be tougher to play against and he wants us to be faster, have better/faster D-zone exits.

Chara-Franson-Seids-McQ is a nightmare for that. Also Seids and Franson in the lineup wouldn't change the thing that we are still 1 top pairing D short, future #1D when Chara is not Chara.
They won't trade kelly, they feel he brings too much on the table and has jut 1year left and like Dom said he is very hard to move thanks to his list, cap savings would come from Lou or Seids, we can't kill our wing completely while getting D okay.

I'm fine with the D now if we avoid messing with our forwards, it's a mess but the younger players have a chance to step up and we have a chance to have a huge amount of cap space+assets available in the next offseason and fill up the roster when this team is starting to be ready to fight again.

With all these players we don't have a chance to push prospects on ELC contracts who can contirbute and keep improving, something that every successfull team needs.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
I think Franson could approximate what Dougie would have given you now, or next year.

In 5 or 6 years I expect Dougie to be better than Franson at his best.

I actually hope they're not thinking of Franson as a Hamilton replacement.

It's better to view him as an upgrade on Seids or a Boychuk replacement in the top 4D, we're getting a year too late.

Signing Franson allows us to reduce our reliance on Seids, which is good given how absolutely awful he was last year. His Corsi numbers, for example, made him the Gregory Campbell of our D group.

They still need to find an elite D to be our future #1D; I hope they bid big on Shattenkirk next year.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Saw this on the main board. Not specific to the Bruins, but if Gryba is out there, would you take a shot? We have some speed and puck moving defensemen, and Gryba is not that. He's big and nasty. Played his college days at BU. If the price was right, I'd take him and pair him with a fast PMD.

@Bob_Stauffer: Heard earlier today Erik Gryba, Ottawa might be in play, wonder if Sens move him for a younger prospect who can clear waivers?

Didn't Ottawa trade him to Edmonton just a week ago?

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
Saw this on the main board. Not specific to the Bruins, but if Gryba is out there, would you take a shot? We have some speed and puck moving defensemen, and Gryba is not that. He's big and nasty. Played his college days at BU. If the price was right, I'd take him and pair him with a fast PMD.

@Bob_Stauffer: Heard earlier today Erik Gryba, Ottawa might be in play, wonder if Sens move him for a younger prospect who can clear waivers?

We have one "fast PMD defensemen that is definelty NHL ready. Even then Krug for all of his glory lacks that great zone exit pass. Plus Gryba was already traded.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
People need to understand that it usually takes a full year of actually playing on a repaired ACL to get back to normalcy.

Now, Seidenberg may never get back to the level he was at prior. Its not inconceivable that he can be a good 3 next year. I thought he was better towards the end of the season and I hope to see even more progress once camp rolls around.

Seidenberg I'm optimistic returns to a top pairing shut down defender- he's in the area and all signs are very good so can someone give me an explanation why we get rid of him

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Seidenberg I'm optimistic returns to a top pairing shut down defender- he's in the area and all signs are very good so can someone give me an explanation why we get rid of him

TO play devils advocate because hes cooked and its 3 more years on his deal not 1 or 2.

Back in 2013 when Segsy was being shipped out of town people around here still thought Kelly's playoff no show was due to injury and that he'd be a 3+ mil player again the following season (s).

2 more years of genuine Chris Kelly sucking awfully and stealing icetime and a lot of talent leaving the roster instead of Kelly has followed he was toast and should have been bought out 1 year into that awful contract.

I actually feel a lot better about Seidenberg (and Chara) now that neither of them has to worry about being paired with Hamilton the turnstyle. But thats just this year 3 more years at their contracts is a lot like both guys and happy to have them this year but we aren't Detroit our D men will actually age and we are lucky we got as much good hockey out of Dennis Iafrate as we did great player but this guy gets hurt a lot (unlike a Boychuk who never gets hurt and Seids at his prime was the better player than Boychuk.)

He might be done even when he was younger he'd have a season ending injury every other year.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Ok I will. And I will preface this by saying I'm a huge Seids fan.

He's 34 years old in a week. He's a physical player who has logged big minutes against top players since he got to Boston 5 years ago. He had a knee injury in the winter of 2014 and was by all accounts prepared to play in Game 7 of the Cup Finals that spring before the Bruins were eliminated. So it's fair to say they felt he was game ready in April 2014. With an entire offseason to come, it was reasonable to expect he'd be healthy, yet he was one of our worst defensemen from Day 1. He was slow, he made countless judgment errors and his execution was poor. All season long. He averaged 27 pts. per 82 games since 08-09, and he had 14 last season.

Lastly, you are paying him $4M per season for this and two more. I think he was overpaid the second he signed it, but the thought of him making $4M with two more years of tread on him should piss all of us off. If you get a chance to dump that contract and bring in a younger option for similar money, you do it and run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad