All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

SPV

Zoinks!
Sponsor
Feb 4, 2003
New Hampshire
hfboards.com
One thing that is still curious to me this off-season, the contract they gave to McQuaid. I like Adam a lot; so I don't mind that he's back, but giving him 2.75 per year tells me they are expecting him to be in the top 2 pairings.
This is my fear with signing Franson, while I would like to have him; next year you have Seidenberg, Chara, Franson, and McQuaid signed for nearly 19 million (figuring Franson at 5 million). With Krug an RFA at the end of the year again, you then have to re-sign him too.

Next year, Byfuglien, Seabrook, Giordano, and Erik Johnson are all UFA defenseman; all would be better than practically anyone in our signed top 4 at that point, and if Krug is making 3 or 4 million; we can't take a run at any of them.

I know many of those guys won't even make it to the open market; but it makes me wonder if the better option now would be to invite some veterans to camp and have them and the kids battle for the remaining spots this year, leaving you the flexibility next year to make a splash with a bigger name than Franson.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
Not buying can be a viable alternative. The tipping point is does the FO truly believe Trotman, Morrow and/or C. Miller are ready for the role?

The fact that they made a play for Mike Green would suggest they are not comfortable with two rookies back there. Now the Franson stuff...

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Seidenberg I'm optimistic returns to a top pairing shut down defender- he's in the area and all signs are very good so can someone give me an explanation why we get rid of him

The only reason I'd ever consider getting rid of him is if it's to clear cap space to bring in a top-3 guy with some wheels. I certainly wouldn't want a top-4 of Seids, Franson, Chara and McQuaid though. Way too slow and I think that's where a lot of the Seids speculation comes from since McQuaid was just signed and Chara likely retires a Bruin.

There is some serious discussion to be had about this defense though. The forwards I get and the pieces should all fit together nicely. The defense I have no Idea what it will look like. McQuaid signing has me wondering where his place is on the roster? He's more of a bottom pairing guy so who moves up on the right side? Trotman, Miller, C.Miller? Does Sweeney see McQuaid as more of a middle pairing guy? If so who does he play with? Krug and McQuaid were a dumpster fire at times last year, neither McQuaid or Seids move the puck all that well, Morrow maybe but hasn't Krug earned a top-4 look? Does Seids go over and play his off hand side with Chara, Morrow or Krug next to him? Certainly a puzzling situation. :popcorn:

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
One thing that is still curious to me this off-season, the contract they gave to McQuaid. I like Adam a lot; so I don't mind that he's back, but giving him 2.75 per year tells me they are expecting him to be in the top 2 pairings.
This is my fear with signing Franson, while I would like to have him; next year you have Seidenberg, Chara, Franson, and McQuaid signed for nearly 19 million (figuring Franson at 5 million). With Krug an RFA at the end of the year again, you then have to re-sign him too.

Next year, Byfuglien, Seabrook, Giordano, and Erik Johnson are all UFA defenseman; all would be better than practically anyone in our signed top 4 at that point, and if Krug is making 3 or 4 million; we can't take a run at any of them.

I know many of those guys won't even make it to the open market; but it makes me wonder if the better option now would be to invite some veterans to camp and have them and the kids battle for the remaining spots this year, leaving you the flexibility next year to make a splash with a bigger name than Franson.

Good point. I also think Shattenkirk will be available next year, with 1 year left on his current contract.

The Franson move only makes sense if you view it as a Boychuk or Seids replacement. So maybe they move Seids?

I bet Chiarelli would bite. Except that both sides torched that bridge back at the trade deadline.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
If we're looking for a short term top 4 alternative until some of the kids develop, what about Visnovsky on a 1 year term? Has played with Z internationally. Obviously not ideal or long term, but would fill a hole in the interim.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
If we're looking for a short term top 4 alternative until some of the kids develop, what about Visnovsky on a 1 year term? Has played with Z internationally. Obviously not ideal or long term, but would fill a hole in the interim.
how about zidlicky? right handed, used to be good on the PP. i'm not going to pretend i've been scouting the guy recently or who's better between him and visnovsky.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
how about zidlicky? right handed, used to be good on the PP. i'm not going to pretend i've been scouting the guy recently or who's better between him and visnovsky.

Pretty sure Vis was used a lot as a middle pairing guy by the Isles. Think Zidlicky was used in more of a Krug type role. Neither have much left in the tank but for what we need I'd probably go with Vis even with the LH shot. Very similar players but IMO Lubo's a little better rounded defender.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Seidenberg I'm optimistic returns to a top pairing shut down defender- he's in the area and all signs are very good so can someone give me an explanation why we get rid of him

If Sweeney wants to bring a new top4D guy in then we have to get cap space somehow, Kelly is the 1st option but how likely is it?

Then contracts that could give us cap space are Lou and Seids, there is no way I'm giving up Lou for cap space, our wingers group would get a lot worse while we made our D okay. Then we end up with Seidenberg's contracts.

I like Seids but I can't see who should go out before him when we are trying to add another D, not a huge fan of Franson-Seids-Chara-(Trotman/x) top4, one of the slowest groups in the league and Sweeney wants to go to the opposite direction.

We should go all in for that top pairing D, without that we won't win in this league, time is running out on that one, I don't know how long Chara can be #1D beast, if he has another injury our D will explode and we have noone in the system who could replace him in time.

Hopefully Sweeney can decide who helps us more during the next 3 seasons Franson or Seids and after that the top pairing D is his priority number1.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
FWIW, 3 current NHL Defensemen appear on Cody Franson's (hockey-reference.com) Similarity Scores tables.
  • Dmitry Kulikov
  • Johnny Boychuk
  • Ryan Suter
Explanation ▪ Players with careers of similar quality and shape (thru 2014-15)

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011

He had one bad season and it just so happen to fall on the same season that he returned from a major injury and a season that the team in general just couldn't get it together. So hes the odd man out.. DUH :sarcasm:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Franson is the worst of the 4 AINEC.

Absolutely.

THe guy would be Hamilton minus 5-10 points a year but significantly better in the areas Dougie struggles. Im not sure if that is enough to make him a fan favorite or not but it makes him a good fit at the correct number.

Also takes a lot of heat off Z and Seids and gives them a better chance to bounce back.

Some stupid organization like Buffalo probably has a 7 year deal on the table though and hes trying to squeeze a long one out of us or another good organization.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
In Friedman's 30 thoughts, Boston is believed to have interest in Oduya.

"Among the most interested parties"

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In Friedman's 30 thoughts, Boston is believed to have interest in Oduya.

"Among the most interested parties"

He can't wait for that much longer, Chicago is in hell right now and they'd re-sign Kruger before him.

Oduya for 2-3y deal could be good, he'd be cheaper to get than Franson and he knows how to play D, but then again our D groups speed would be the problem.
They'd probably try to create our version of Hawks 2nd pairing which is damm impressive shutdown pairing, Oduya/Seids.

Chara-Please not Trotman
Oduya-Seidenberg
Krug-McQ
We'd again have just 1 strong puck mover if Trotman wins that last RD spot.

We should be able to add Oduya without shredding cap and if they make a cap move then we'd have cap room at the deadline.

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008
He had one bad season and it just so happen to fall on the same season that he returned from a major injury and a season that the team in general just couldn't get it together. So hes the odd man out.. DUH :sarcasm:

Or because he's 33 years old, making $4m a year and is never going to be what he was a few years ago.

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers

From my eyes he started to decline in the shortened season of 2013, before his injury in December 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad