All Bruins rumors/proposals: Reset and Sweenified

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
It is hindsight but there is certainly irony that we are now craving a top 4 rhd when Boychuk loved Boston and would have likely signed for a hometown discount not far from what Franson is asking for and Johnny is way better.

Franson is also 4 years younger and bigger. It's easy to forget that in Boychuk's first season he played more than 5 games, he was only a year younger than Franson is now.

Boychuk was also 2 years older than Trotman is before he played more than 5 games in a season.

Both those guys are ahead of where Boychuk was at their age.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
It is hindsight but there is certainly irony that we are now craving a top 4 rhd when Boychuk loved Boston and would have likely signed for a hometown discount not far from what Franson is asking for and Johnny is way better.

I doubt he would have given the Bruins s discount. It'll be interesting how good he gets late on in the contract. His body has taken a beating. See chara.

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
I've seen a few different numbers being thrown around for the current Bruins cap space. Here's where I think they stand.

12 Forwards: Krejci ($7.25M), Bergeron ($6.875M), Marchand ($4.5M), Eriksson ($4.25M), Beleskey ($3.8M), Kelly ($3.0M), Hayes ($2.3M), Connolly ($1.025M), Spooner ($950k), Pastrnak ($925k), Talbot ($900k), Rinaldo ($850k)
$36.625M

6 Defensemen: Chara ($6.916667M), Seidenberg ($4.0M), Krug ($3.4M), McQuaid ($2.75M), K. Miller ($800k), Trotman ($625k)
$18.491667M

1 Goalie: Tuukka Rask ($7.0M)
$7.0M

1 Retained: Milan Lucic ($2.75M)
$2.75M

Performance Bonus Overage: $969k
$969k

12 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, 1 Goalie Total: $65.835667M
Current Cap Space: $5.564333M

The Bruins will most likely carry 13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen and 2 Goalies during the regular season. Right now, it seems like Joonas Kemppainen ($792.5k) + Colin Miller ($602.5k) + Jeremy Smith (600k) will fill out the roster.

13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen, 2 Goalies Total: $67.830667M
Projected Cap Space: $3.569333M

As Dom (and others) has pointed out, the Bruins are going to want to bank some cap space going into the season. There's also the possibility that Sweeney will decide to add an experienced backup goalie.

If Franson is close to signing, I think they'd like to move at least $2.5M off of the current team in order to accommodate Franson + a possible backup goalie signing + moving forward with some available space.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I've seen a few different numbers being thrown around for the current Bruins cap space. Here's where I think they stand.

12 Forwards: Krejci ($7.25M), Bergeron ($6.875M), Marchand ($4.5M), Eriksson ($4.25M), Beleskey ($3.8M), Kelly ($3.0M), Hayes ($2.3M), Connolly ($1.025M), Spooner ($950k), Pastrnak ($925k), Talbot ($900k), Rinaldo ($850k)
$36.625M

6 Defensemen: Chara ($6.916667M), Seidenberg ($4.0M), Krug ($3.4M), McQuaid ($2.75M), K. Miller ($800k), Trotman ($625k)
$18.491667M

1 Goalie: Tuukka Rask ($7.0M)
$7.0M

1 Retained: Milan Lucic ($2.75M)
$2.75M

Performance Bonus Overage: $969k
$969k

12 Forwards, 6 Defensemen, 1 Goalie Total: $65.835667M
Current Cap Space: $5.564333M

The Bruins will most likely carry 13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen and 2 Goalies during the regular season. Right now, it seems like Joonas Kemppainen ($792.5k) + Colin Miller ($602.5k) + Jeremy Smith (600k) will fill out the roster.

13 Forwards, 7 Defensemen, 2 Goalies Total: $67.830667M
Projected Cap Space: $3.569333M

As Dom (and others) has pointed out, the Bruins are going to want to bank some cap space going into the season. There's also the possibility that Sweeney will decide to add an experienced backup goalie.

If Franson is close to signing, I think they'd like to move at least $2.5M off of the current team in order to accommodate Franson + a possible backup goalie signing + moving forward with some available space.

Thanks for the update. Things will sure get interesting if we sign Franson...I hope it happens, he'd be an upgrade in that department IMO. Be nice to see how management deals with that as well.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
Franson is also 4 years younger and bigger. It's easy to forget that in Boychuk's first season he played more than 5 games, he was only a year younger than Franson is now.

Boychuk was also 2 years older than Trotman is before he played more than 5 games in a season.

Both those guys are ahead of where Boychuk was at their age.

Great point.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If Franzon is the Bruins second best defenseman for the next 3 seasons, then it is going to be 3 long years for the Bruins

Franzon may well be the best defenseman on the market left especially if Oduya has a deal with Chicago pending them freeing up space. But that doesn't make him a better player than he is. He is a solid #4, nothing more, nothing less

This may be true, though he might be a #3. Either way that makes him the Bruins second best defenseman.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Or you just don't buy at all?
I would have rather paid Martin Mirancin 4-5 M if we are just going to do something stupid to do something at all ...

Sorry I didnt get back to you (my battery died :D ).

Not buying can be a viable alternative. The tipping point is does the FO truly believe Trotman, Morrow and/or C. Miller are ready for the role?

I dont know. If they are then this makes it a helluva lot easier. But my gut tells me if they are after Franson then even they arent truly convinced yet.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

By the time he left, I was not happy with Chia, but to think that he never reached out to JB55's agents to find out what it was going to take before dealing him is ridiculous. Chia was an agent so he knows how the game works. Loved JB55, but he was obviously not going to give them a discount, which is why he was dealt.

The problem was that Chia and Co. chose Sides over JB55, because they were only going to be able to keep one of them. In fairness, there was no way to predict Sides' leg injury and if that doesn't happen, he may well have been the better value.

Speaking of 44, I heard that he looks great and has been busting his a$$ this offseason to get back up to par. I don't know if he will ever regain 100% of his old form, but I expect him to be significantly better this season almost two years removed from the injury.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
I dont know. If they are then this makes it a helluva lot easier. But my gut tells me if they are after Franson then even they arent truly convinced yet.

Which, seems un-Sweeney like... or there is another shoe to drop somewhere else (maybe they want a certain amount of salary cap space available in-season).

I'm coming to the realization that what we have, now, might be what we have in October.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Which, seems un-Sweeney like... or there is another shoe to drop somewhere else (maybe they want a certain amount of salary cap space available in-season).

I'm coming to the realization that what we have, now, might be what we have in October.

Perhaps. You never want to spend to the very top. Solid point.

Dont get me wrong Travis. I dont believe we are near contention this year. If they want to throw any one of those kids in and see what they got Im ok with that. Gotta swim in the deep end sometime.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
By the time he left, I was not happy with Chia, but to think that he never reached out to JB55's agents to find out what it was going to take before dealing him is ridiculous. Chia was an agent so he knows how the game works. Loved JB55, but he was obviously not going to give them a discount, which is why he was dealt.

The problem was that Chia and Co. chose Sides over JB55, because they were only going to be able to keep one of them. In fairness, there was no way to predict Sides' leg injury and if that doesn't happen, he may well have been the better value.

Speaking of 44, I heard that he looks great and has been busting his a$$ this offseason to get back up to par. I don't know if he will ever regain 100% of his old form, but I expect him to be significantly better this season almost two years removed from the injury.

I think counting on Seidenberg to be anything more than our 5th #5/6 defenseman is probably foolish. He was supposedly almost ready for Game 7 two seasons ago and with an entire offseason he was awful last season.

I think we should be prepared for the fact that his decline last season might have a lot more to do with age and wear and tear than his knee.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Sorry I didnt get back to you (my battery died :D ).

Not buying can be a viable alternative. The tipping point is does the FO truly believe Trotman, Morrow and/or C. Miller are ready for the role?

Actually Wally, I look at it a different way. They think that C. Miller, Trotman, Morrow may be ready, but that their upsides may not be as high as they once thought (moreso for Trotman/Morrow), and so they are getting Franson to deal with the eventual loss of Chara/Seidenberg. Franson would still be on the team once one or both guys are gone, and guys like Zboril/Carlo would be ready by then, with Franson there to anchor them, along with Miller/Trotman/Morrow to anchor the bottom of the D.

Just another perspective I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad