Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020

frankierelax.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
As much as I’d like to get ADB under 9, not sure it’s realistic, Lamoriello just signed Barzal at 9.15 x 8.
DBC at $8M - $9M AAV for 8 years is a likely scenario. I expect he would want 50% of that in signing bonus to guarantee most of it.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
DBC at $8M - $9M AAV for 8 years is a likely scenario. I expect he would want 50% of that in signing bonus to guarantee most of it.
Senators have never paid out signing bonuses. But, they've also never traded for, then tried to sign a guy like Debrincat. So, it will be interesting to see who wins in a battle over signing bonuses.

Reactions: Que and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Senators have never paid out signing bonuses. But, they've also never traded for, then tried to sign a guy like Debrincat. So, it will be interesting to see who wins in a battle over signing bonuses.
The paid out signing bonuses for Bobby Ryan, who at the time was a pretty big deal of a trade even if it didn't work out. DeBrincat is clearly better, but Ryan is certainly notable.

Going back further, we traded for Heatley who was a bigger deal than DeBrincat imo, and had to sign him (we bridged then extended I think). I know Heatley had signing bonuses even though capfriendly doesn't seem to show them, because Melnyk sued to try and recover them after Heatley demanded a trade.

Those two examples are probably what soured the team on signing bonuses, particularly Melnyk. I think we might see us do them again in the future when it makes sense. The reality is the borrowing cost can sometimes be low enough that the team can get more value by including them (particularly with americans that want to take advantage of the tax benefits of being paid in signing bonuses).

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
The paid out signing bonuses for Bobby Ryan, who at the time was a pretty big deal of a trade even if it didn't work out. DeBrincat is clearly better, but Ryan is certainly notable.

Going back further, we traded for Heatley who was a bigger deal than DeBrincat imo, and had to sign him (we bridged then extended I think). I know Heatley had signing bonuses even though capfriendly doesn't seem to show them, because Melnyk sued to try and recover them after Heatley demanded a trade.

Those two examples are probably what soured the team on signing bonuses, particularly Melnyk. I think we might see us do them again in the future when it makes sense. The reality is the borrowing cost can sometimes be low enough that the team can get more value by including them (particularly with americans that want to take advantage of the tax benefits of being paid in signing bonuses).
Yes, saying never was sloppy.

Based on previous negative experiences with signing bonuses the senators have adopted a policy of not providing them.

It remains to be seen whether they will continue this policy. Debrincat would be the sort of player that may warrant it.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

As signing bonuses are guaranteed and salaries are not as they can be bought out, signing bonuses are valuable to players. There may be tax benefits too but I do not know what they are.

Reactions: Alex1234

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Yes, saying never was sloppy.

Based on previous negative experiences with signing bonuses the senators have adopted a policy of not providing them.

It remains to be seen whether they will continue this policy. Debrincat would be the sort of player that may warrant it.
We've been in uncharted waters since Melnyk passed away, so maybe they won't be as opposed anymore.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
We've been in uncharted waters since Melnyk passed away, so maybe they won't be as opposed anymore.
I was thinking there hasn't been much info coming from ownership. I'm not suggesting its either bad or good. I was just thinking that we haven't heard much from them. Its hard not to be curious about whether the team is going to sold, what our internal budget will be, etc. The Lebreton topic is another subject of great interest. Maybe not much new info is available on that front?

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I was thinking there hasn't been much info coming from ownership. I'm not suggesting its either bad or good. I was just thinking that we haven't heard much from them. Its hard not to be curious about whether the team is going to sold, what our internal budget will be, etc. The Lebreton topic is another subject of great interest. Maybe not much new info is available on that front?
Its only a matter of when its sold imo, but I got tired of speculating. I think Seravelli had something on it recently maybe, but probably just speculation too.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Its only a matter of when its sold imo, but I got tired of speculating. I think Seravelli had something on it recently maybe, but probably just speculation too.
Ya, I also thinks there isn't much use in speculating and not worth spending a lot of time on it. But, even if you don't speculate, these topics are important yet there isn't much info on them.

I definitely think the Seravalli thing was pure speculation. His introductory paragraphs made that abundantly clear before he went on to the actual 31/32 thoughts.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Ya, I also thinks there isn't much use in speculating and not worth spending a lot of time on it. But, even if you don't speculate, these topics are important yet there isn't much info on them.

I definitely think the Seravalli thing was pure speculation. His introductory paragraphs made that abundantly clear before he went on to the actual 31/32 thoughts.
Ya it would be nice to get more transparency on the subject just because it is an interesting topic imo, but the importance of it feels like it has faded in to the background a bit with the current owners doing the right things unlike their dad.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ya it would be nice to get more transparency on the subject just because it is an interesting topic imo, but the importance of it feels like it has faded in to the background a bit with the current owners doing the right things unlike their dad.
The focus is rightfully on the season (and the lead up to the season) which is about to start. That is understandable.

I guess there's just a lot of curiosity about these subjects that is increasing or perhaps becoming more pent up given that things have been so quiet.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Part of his 32 Bold Predictions:

With renewed interest and buzz as the Sens’ rebuild bears fruit, late owner Eugene Melnyk’s daughters, Anna and Olivia, will reach an agreement to sell the Ottawa Senators franchise and maintain a minority stake. Melnyk left the team to his children upon his passing on March 28, 2022.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The focus is rightfully on the season (and the lead up to the season) which is about to start. That is understandable.

I guess there's just a lot of curiosity about these subjects that is increasing or perhaps becoming more pent up given that things have been so quiet.
Agreed. I'm sure it will happen in due time, but it has been eerily quiet on the subject hasn't it. Personally, I don't buy that they'll just carry on silent like this either way and if they intended to be majority owners long term they will make some sort of front facing confirmation.

With renewed interest and buzz as the Sens’ rebuild bears fruit, late owner Eugene Melnyk’s daughters, Anna and Olivia, will reach an agreement to sell the Ottawa Senators franchise and maintain a minority stake. Melnyk left the team to his children upon his passing on March 28, 2022.
Lol, right there in the title confirming speculation I guess eh, "bold predictions"

Reactions: Xspyrit

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Next LeBreton milestone is December 2023 I think.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018

That makes good sense to me. The daughters have the fathers estate and while I'm sure Eugene could have spent more on the team, there has been a noticeable financial investment in the team after his passing.

It would make sense to spend to improve the team - which boosts ticket sales, sponsorships etc., to make the team more attractive to a buyer. Same thing with the arena. Get the process started but it will be the next owners who will finish it.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
He can have every Senator Red™ cent as a signing bonus - I genuinely do not care. Neither do Anna or Olivia.

Pay this man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad