Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves on a DeBrincat signing because of the Weekes tweet. What we heard after the trade was we'll see how the fit is. We haven't even started the season yet. Lots of time for DeBrincat and his wife to reflect on the fit in Ottawa before he commits long term.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves on a DeBrincat signing because of the Weekes tweet. What we heard after the trade was we'll see how the fit is. We haven't even started the season yet. Lots of time for DeBrincat and his wife to reflect on the fit in Ottawa before he commits long term.
Damn you Weekes!!!

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ya I believe so.
I recall reading that I think re: lease agreement.

That is going to be interesting and important/pivotal. We'll find something out about the dynamic between the Senators ownership and the rest of the joint venture. Senators will want a low cost lease whereas the other partners could be motivated by a higher agreement.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
...pretty weak start to the season for the Cat. Not sure if he's normally a hot and cold guy, or what.

Here's hoping he picks it up soon.

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
...pretty weak start to the season for the Cat. Not sure if he's normally a hot and cold guy, or what.

Offensively I think he has had a positive impact. He has 15 shots on goal. He’s getting to quiet areas and making himself available. He has had some really good looks and has shown why he is a goal scorer in the league, just a matter of time before they start going in.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I see him more as a 30-35 goal guy than a 40+

He is playing with some good players for sure this year but it's not close to playing as the triggerman for one of the best playmakers of all time in their prime. Still an elite level NHL player. I just don't feel good giving him a 9m aav. probably somewhere in the low 8's. Which is tough since he is guaranteed to make 9M at least next year.

This is what I would like as a contract structure

$8M X 6yrs.

1 - 9M
2 - 8
3 - 7
4 - 9
5 - 7
6 - 8

Otherwise I am game trying to do Matthew Tkachuk type trade with him where we get a equally valuable dman in return.

Reactions: bicboi64

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

He is playing with some good players for sure this year but it's not close to playing as the triggerman for one of the best playmakers of all time in their prime. Still an elite level NHL player. I just don't feel good giving him a 9m aav. probably somewhere in the low 8's. Which is tough since he is guaranteed to make 9M at least next year.

$8M X 6yrs.

1 - 9M
2 - 8
3 - 7
4 - 9
5 - 7
6 - 8

Otherwise I am game trying to do Matthew Tkachuk type trade with him where we get a equally valuable dman in return.
He’s not guaranteed to make 9 next year. That’s his QO. We have all year to make a deal that could pay him less over longer.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

$8M X 6yrs.

1 - 9M
2 - 8
3 - 7
4 - 9
5 - 7
6 - 8

I get the sense you may be the kind of fantasy guy that trashes the player they're trying to trade for as a negotiating tactic.

8 x 6 is a total non starter.

The contract is either going to end before he's 30 or be max. There's no way he'd take a discounted contract that leaves him a FA as he approaches his mid 30s.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

3 games on a new team, new linemates, new city. First time in his life he has been traded at any level. Patience. This team is going to take some time to gel. Been trying to say it all summer. With the amount of change in this roster it's not automatic.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
3 games on a new team, new linemates, new city. First time in his life he has been traded at any level. Patience. This team is going to take some time to gel. Been trying to say it all summer. With the amount of change in this roster it's not automatic.
15 shots on net in 3 games. The man's a scorer. They'll start going in.

Reactions: Senscore

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Yep. I'm not worried that the goals will come. I'd like to see a bit more impact away from the puck too though. His style of play doesn't scream $9M to me (yet). Maybe I'm just biased by watching Bath, Stu and Pinto score and play a more complete game for less bucks.

Or maybe I'm just skittish based on the career trajectory of our last "all star" sniper.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I get the sense you may be the kind of fantasy guy that trashes the player they're trying to trade for as a negotiating tactic.

8 x 6 is a total non starter.

The contract is either going to end before he's 30 or be max. There's no way he'd take a discounted contract that leaves him a FA as he approaches his mid 30s.

Lol not tryna trash Debrincat at all . Saying a player is capable for 35 goals and deserves 8m on long term aint trashing .

My point is his price tag isn’t worth it to me I would be cool with an overpay at 9m if our long term cap didn’t look tight but it does and I rather use that money for depth throughout the forward lines or on D.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Lol not tryna trash Debrincat at all . Saying a player is capable for 35 goals and deserves 8m on long term aint trashing .

My point is his price tag isn’t worth it to me I would be cool with an overpay at 9m if our long term cap didn’t look tight but it does and I rather use that money for depth throughout the forward lines or on D.
It is when you're asking him to take an offer below his qualifying that has him looking for a new contract when he's 32.

If you don't think he's worth what NHL comparables are, or dont want to pay it, then yes you trade him ala huberdeau.

Just no point in saying I don't think he's as good as he has been performing so I'll ask him to take less, for less, than what his peers are getting.

That's just not reasonable.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Not sure why people aren’t getting this. Chemistry is so important.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Doesn't look comfortable to me out there. He just needs to have one go in and I think he'll find his way. Probably the 2nd most underwhelming top 6 guy next to Norris so far, but it'll come for both of them and have still contributed something.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Doesn't look comfortable to me out there. He just needs to have one go in and I think he'll find his way. Probably the 2nd most underwhelming top 6 guy next to Norris so far, but it'll come for both of them and have still contributed something.
Norris? I think he’s played great in his new role. He’s had to adapt his game away from being the trigger man to being the guy who has to go and get the puck in the corner and make plays.

This change has had also affected the way he physically engages in the game. He’s more physical now, and has been getting into shoves and heated moments more so far. He’s essentially kind of doing Brady’s role on the second line while Cat looks for the soft spots to score, like he did a lot on the top line.

I think Norris has been great so far in his new role, and is now PKing as well. Of course he was a post away from his signature PP goal the other game as well so that’s still there.

Anyways, it looks like he’s transitioning to being more of a two way force, than a sniper, which is great for a young centre man.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Norris? I think he’s played great in his new role. He’s had to adapt his game away from being the trigger man to being the guy who has to go and get the puck in the corner and make plays.

This change has had also affected the way he physically engages in the game. He’s more physical now, and has been getting into shoves and heated moments more so far. He’s essentially kind of doing Brady’s role on the second line while Cat looks for the soft spots to score, like he did a lot on the top line.

I think Norris has been great so far in his new role, and is now PKing as well. Of course he was a post away from his signature PP goal the other game as well so that’s still there.

Anyways, it looks like he’s transitioning to being more of a two way force, than a sniper, which is great for a young centre man.
He's been mostly fine, he hasn't been a liability or anything and wasn't implying it, but if we're ranking the top 6 offensively, I have him and Cat ranking below the other 4 so far. Josh and Cat scored a combined 76 goals last year and haven't found the back of the net yet, so I'm sure they're hoping that changes soon and I'm sure it will.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I like DeBrincat & think he is playing well & the scoring will eventually come as that line begins to gel together. Having said that though, we shouldn't be given him $9 mil, in fact, he shouldn't be paid more than Brady, Timmy or Norris. While he certainly helps with the scoring & will eventually start scoring he just isn't as dynamic & doesn't do as much as some of our younger guys are already doing & they will only get better too.

And let's not forget that the Sens still have some young guys coming that are also going to help this team score goals & the leadership of this team is still quite young. Crookshank could turn into a player & goal scorer, he seems to have that "it" potential, we think Greig has IT as well. Formenton, Ostapchuk & Boucher will bring the grit needed for playoff hockey & could add some scoring & even Jarventie & Sokolov have offensive potential, if needed. They will have plenty of scoring they could use some money on upgrading their goaltending in future as well as their RD options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad