Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'm still trying to figure out how this all works out. What I mean is, if he plays this year, he's a UFA at the end of the season and can get one of those crazy UFA deals in the summer. Why on earth would he want to sign now? What advantage is it for him to sign now (aside from the obvious major injury or the roadrunner dropping an anvil on his head or something)?
the vibes?

but seriously since we are a two line/two pp team instead of the one line/one pp team that he was on in chicago he may not be able to get as much ice time/pp time to get another 40 goal season or keep a 40 goal pace over the next two years

if he has two 30-35 goal years (which is still very good) will end up costing himself some money. It makes some sense to capitalize early if security is what he is after

in a way its like how most sens fans are norris' goal pace to go down

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I'm still trying to figure out how this all works out. What I mean is, if he plays this year, he's a UFA at the end of the season and can get one of those crazy UFA deals in the summer. Why on earth would he want to sign now? What advantage is it for him to sign now (aside from the obvious major injury or the roadrunner dropping an anvil on his head or something)?
RFA but still
If he doesn't want to re-sign and we trade him for say Clayton keller next summer
He plays one year for ARI hugggh...
Then become UFA and let's say only 4 teams have cap space to pay him 9.8 at that time and he doesn't want to go to one of those 4 teams for 7 years...
Maybe he ends up on a rebuilding team at the start of their let's say 5 years rebuild while we win a cup...
Maybe he really likes to play with Giroux who looks like a magician the last couple of games honestly not that far from Kane in distributing the puck

All hypothetical but could happen

Is it worth it to him for 9.8 vs 9?

Only ADBC has the answer

Last edited:
Reactions: Cosmix

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
He’s not UFA

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
the vibes?

but seriously since we are a two line/two pp team instead of the one line/one pp team that he was on in chicago he may not be able to get as much ice time/pp time to get another 40 goal season or keep a 40 goal pace over the next two years

if he has two 30-35 goal years (which is still very good) will end up costing himself some money. It makes some sense to capitalize early if security is what he is after

in a way its like how most sens fans are norris' goal pace to go down
Even with the fact that there's 2 strong lines and 2 distinct PP units, Debrincat is still likely to score the most goals in this team and crack 40 this year. Chicago had one line to check last year and DeBrincat is not a product of Patrick Kane.

Security is always a big factor and it will play out here as well. Stu could've waited until the season was over and got more but he didn't.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Debrincat is awesome. I don't mind trading away Norris in order to resign him

Pinto could easily step up and play between Cat and Giroux or even Tkachuk and Bath

Norris is just too north and south player for my liking. His 5on5 impact is minimal when it comes to creating offense

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Pinto could easily step up and play between Cat and Giroux or even Tkachuk and Bath

Norris is just too north and south player for my liking. His 5on5 impact is minimal when it comes to creating offense
We’re not trading Norris away to sign DBC.

Reactions: aragorn

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Some people seem to think that Debrincat's qualifying offer is a floor for an entire max contract.

Yes, Debrincat can get 9 mil for next year by accepting QO. But that's not a guarantee he gets 9 mil in 9 years when he's 34.

Based on the contracts received by huberdeau gaudreau Kadri and Miller this year, I think it behooves debrincat to either take a max contract or one that ends before he's 30.

If his goal is security 8 years x 8.75. If his goal is to maximize earnings 3 years x 9.2

From the senators perspective they maintain flexibility while locking in debrincat's top earning years.

From debrincat perspective he pprobably leaves a little on table through prime but gets another contract that takes advantage of higher cap and gets higher earnings through his mid to late 30's.

That next contract will probably also have signing bonuses that ottawa won't provide. So a 9.2 x3 is probably more like 40 million in 3 years plus a day.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Some people seem to think that Debrincat's qualifying offer is a floor for an entire max contract.

Yes, Debrincat can get 9 mil for next year by accepting QO. But that's not a guarantee he gets 9 mil in 9 years when he's 34.

Based on the contracts received by huberdeau gaudreau Kadri and Miller this year, I think it behooves debrincat to either take a max contract or one that ends before he's 30.

If his goal is security 8 years x 8.75. If his goal is to maximize earnings 3 years x 9.2

From the senators perspective they maintain flexibility while locking in debrincat's top earning years.

From debrincat perspective he pprobably leaves a little on table through prime but gets another contract that takes advantage of higher cap and gets higher earnings through his mid to late 30's.

That next contract will probably also have signing bonuses that ottawa won't provide. So a 9.2 x3 is probably more like 40 million in 3 years plus a day.
As much as I’d like to get ADB under 9, not sure it’s realistic, Lamoriello just signed Barzal at 9.15 x 8.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
As much as I’d like to get ADB under 9, not sure it’s realistic, Lamoriello just signed Barzal at 9.15 x 8.
Barzal is center so arguably can command more.

That being said, Barzal also confirms my point regarding QO. His QO was 10; He got 9.15, so QO is not an 8 year floor.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Not saying it won't happen, but I can't see DeBrincat taking anything less than max term. 8 years or nothing.

If he does sign with Ottawa, it will be the biggest contract in their history

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

:facepalm:

Reactions: OD99 and Loach

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
If we do have to trade him, we should target a goalie like Spencer Knight. Hypothetically, let's say he's willing to extend in Miami, we trade him for Knight and have our goalie of the future. I like Mads, but not convinced he'll be a star like Knight will/may be.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If we do have to trade him, we should target a goalie like Spencer Knight. Hypothetically, let's say he's willing to extend in Miami, we trade him for Knight and have our goalie of the future. I like Mads, but not convinced he'll be a star like Knight will/may be.
Knight isn't gonna move. I'd sooner target dostal or tarasov ++.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
I think the Norris contract ages really well, he's a smart and efficient player and locked up until the end of the decade. I'd rather see Batherson traded, as crazy as it sounds. The value could be insane, might be able to get players for him we simply wouldn't for Norris.

All depends on the cap going up of course and being able to keep ADB+Zub first, but that that point it might make sense as an option for acquiring a D or G.

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
3-4 year deal does the first, while allowing you to set up for the latter. The 8M lost from not signing 8 years now is then recouped with inflation/increase salary cap.

8.5 X 4 = 34
10 x 8 = 80
Total = 114M

9.5M x 8 = 76M
7M x 6 = 42M
Total = 118M

With the latter assuming/gambling he's able to land a still significant contract at 32 y.o. Option 1 secures his 30M right away, gives his new family some stability with new baby. Option 2 basically all but guarantees he's on the move again next year.

He's a December baby, so he'll be 25yrs old for most of this year.
That means he will be age 25 to 33 if he were to sign a 8yr deal.
He would become a UFA in the 2031 offseason.
By the time the 2031-32 season rolls around, he will be 2 months away from age 34.

Given his style of game, and the historic stats on goal scorers in their mid 30s... I don't think that contract would be all that lucrative.

If he really is looking to make as much money as possible, he would sign a 2yr deal, and then cash in on a 8yr deal in the 2025 offseason when the cap is 92 million.

Lets say he signs for ~11%:
2 x 9.000 = 18.000 (ages 25-27)
8 x 10.000 = 80.000 (ages 27-35)
Total: 98.000

Otherwise, if he were to sign for ~11% now:
8 x 9.000 = 72.000 (ages 25-33)
Unlikely he makes up 26.000 at almost age 34. I doubt he bets on that either way.

1665236694319.png

If he signs long term for any team, it's because he values security and not just money.
If he signs short term, then he values money the most.
If it's somewhere in the middle, the he values both somewhat equally.

Reactions: Que and playasRus

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I think the Norris contract ages really well, he's a smart and efficient player and locked up until the end of the decade. I'd rather see Batherson traded, as crazy as it sounds. The value could be insane, might be able to get players for him we simply wouldn't for Norris.

All depends on the cap going up of course and being able to keep ADB+Zub first, but that that point it might make sense as an option for acquiring a D or G.
I'd trade Norris long before I'd trade Batherson.

Either way we we're not trading any of them. You guys are cray

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
Not bad... we haven't even played a game yet and already we have some that want to trade out a player we just signed to an 8 year contract, in order to sign another guy for 8 years who hasn't even played a game for us yet...

Can we at least play a few games before tearing the team down and starting over? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad