Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Simmer tweeting that Mike Johnson says he thinks it will be 8×9.5

I don't even care, just want him signed.
Same

More worry about the production of the other members of the 8 club to be honest

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Yea, more I see the comparables, and his own production... can't think it's a dime less than 9. Matthew got 9.5 and has much bigger greater career year over DeBrincat + other elements. I understand tax differences but I think they settle for 9 or somehow he is ultra generous and does slightly less than 9.

Reactions: Samsquanch

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
DeBrincat seems to have the elite skillset to become like Kane IMO. Hopefully, we get him at a reasonable salary in the $8.5 range give or take. I wonder how long this Formenton saga will go on for this yr & whether he will re-sign here or not. Also wonder whether they need to sign Brassard or not & what to do with Gambrell & Kelly if Formenton signs. Sending Kastelic down to Belleville solves a "numbers" problem for them.

Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
DeBrincat - Pinto - Giroux
Formenton - Stutzle - Batherson
Motte - Kastelic - Watson
Brassard - Gambrell - Kelly

Reactions: Cosmix

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
The reason he might sign for a bit less is to play on a deep team with quality throughout the line up, and to have stability (of playing on that deep team) for more than a couple years. There may be value in a player’s perspective of signing into a core where all the other members are similarly young and locked up throughout their primes. A little discount might help the team put quality role players around that core.

Is there another realistic opportunity for debrincat that looks as promising and as stable wrt term and locked in young quality players? There’s a lot of positives that are hard to match elsewhere.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wonder if they will offer Pinto a small one year deal, with a second long term deal also worked out to sign the second he’s allowed. That way the team can squeak through the one tight year, then give him his long term core deal.

Get both lined up at once, in essence a 9 year deal. Obviously some level of trust that the second deal gets signed right away, but it could get us where we want to be, and where Pinto wants to be.

It’s brilliant to sign all these core guys to long term deals covering their core years, all while the cap is low. Virtually all these deals could look like bargains half way through them.

And/or

Each guy is potentially less likely to demand a ridiculous retirement deal knowing that they were well paid during their prime years. It will be really interesting to see how this strategy plays out. No bridges for the core.

Reactions: Arogie

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
He also may want to set himself up for the future. Sometimes betting on yourself for an extra 8 million over the course of a contract isn’t worth it.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
He also may want to set himself up for the future. Sometimes betting on yourself for an extra 8 million over the course of a contract isn’t worth it.
3-4 year deal does the first, while allowing you to set up for the latter. The 8M lost from not signing 8 years now is then recouped with inflation/increase salary cap.

8.5 X 4 = 34
10 x 8 = 80
Total = 114M

9.5M x 8 = 76M
7M x 6 = 42M
Total = 118M

With the latter assuming/gambling he's able to land a still significant contract at 32 y.o. Option 1 secures his 30M right away, gives his new family some stability with new baby. Option 2 basically all but guarantees he's on the move again next year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
3-4 year deal does the first, while allowing you to set up for the latter. The 8M lost from not signing 8 years now is then recouped with inflation/increase salary cap.

8.5 X 4 = 34
10 x 8 = 80
Total = 114M

9.5M x 8 = 76M
7M x 6 = 42M
Total = 118M

With the latter assuming/gambling he's able to land a still significant contract at 32 y.o. Option 1 secures his 30M right away, gives his new family some stability with new baby. Option 2 basically all but guarantees he's on the move again next year.
He’s said numerous times that he is a homebody and doesn’t want to move, didn’t want to move to begin with. I doubt he’ll opt for 3 years of security. I bet he signs long term.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If Cat signs a deal similar to Robertson that's 4 years but at a cap hit like $8.5 million, I'm fine with that. I know its completely different scenarios since Robertson was an RFA and all, but we have a short window to go deep with a few contracts that we'll rely on as ELCs that a short contract would work

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
DeBrincat seems to have the elite skillset to become like Kane IMO. Hopefully, we get him at a reasonable salary in the $8.5 range give or take. I wonder how long this Formenton saga will go on for this yr & whether he will re-sign here or not. Also wonder whether they need to sign Brassard or not & what to do with Gambrell & Kelly if Formenton signs. Sending Kastelic down to Belleville solves a "numbers" problem for them.

Tkachuk - Norris - Joseph
DeBrincat - Pinto - Giroux
Formenton - Stutzle - Batherson
Motte - Kastelic - Watson
Brassard - Gambrell - Kelly
I get what you're saying but the Formenton thing isn't really a saga to me, it's more of a vacuum. There's been literally nothing said about his absence. Makes me wonder if there is more to it than the HC thing.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I get what you're saying but the Formenton thing isn't really a saga to me, it's more of a vacuum. There's been literally nothing said about his absence. Makes me wonder if there is more to it than the HC thing.

Of course there is - he’s a me first player that the coach can’t get to play 2 way effective hockey that probably wants a Colin White ($3-5) type contract of his last season. Motte has shown how easy it is to find a good $1.5 two way winger.

The team should see Joseph’s historical pay scale for him … my guess is they are millions apart and the HC issue is an easy way to just park the gap.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Of course there is - he’s a me first player that the coach can’t get to play 2 way effective hockey that probably wants a Colin White ($3-5) type contract of his last season. Motte has shown how easy it is to find a good $1.5 two way winger.

The team should see Joseph’s historical pay scale for him … my guess is they are millions apart and the HC issue is an easy way to just park the gap.
Ahhh welcome back, been quiet around here.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
If Cat signs a deal similar to Robertson that's 4 years but at a cap hit like $8.5 million, I'm fine with that. I know its completely different scenarios since Robertson was an RFA and all, but we have a short window to go deep with a few contracts that we'll rely on as ELCs that a short contract would work
In theory this is a great risk to take given Cat is on record saying he doesn't see himself as a guy who plays for more than 1 team and such but it would be a mostly UFA year contract vs Robertson's full RFA contract. So I'm not sure the salary savings would really be there, Robertson's side didn't have a ton of leverage over those RFA years.

So it's really Robertson's next contract that is comparable to Cat's current situation.

Reactions: bicboi64

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Let’s break this down

“He’s a me first player” - Wildly speculative on your part. If you had said he had a hard time playing with others maybe but you have often called him selfish. Nothing in his play shows that.

“the coach can’t get to play 2 way effective hockey” - debatable based on your bias towards the player. He was a rookie last year, very few rookies are effective 2 way players right away. Way, way too early to say he’s not coachable.

“probably wants a Colin White ($3-5) type contract of his last season.” - there is absolutely no indication on this one way or another, no numbers have been leaked by either side. This is just another speculative statement that you pile on to try to characterize the player without any facts.

“Motte has shown how easy it is to find a good $1.5 two way winger.” - Motte has looke good in preseason, we have no idea if he can bring 3rd line two way play for any amount of time in the regular season. He’s been around for awhile and all his coaches have used him as a 4th liner who kills penalties. All his coaches have loved the player but still deployed him as mainly a 4th line energy player.

Welcome back.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Let’s break this down

“He’s a me first player” - Wildly speculative on your part. If you had said he had a hard time playing with others maybe but you have often called him selfish. Nothing in his play shows that.

“the coach can’t get to play 2 way effective hockey” - debatable based on your bias towards the player. He was a rookie last year, very few rookies are effective 2 way players right away. Way, way too early to say he’s not coachable.

“probably wants a Colin White ($3-5) type contract of his last season.” - there is absolutely no indication on this one way or another, no numbers have been leaked by either side. This is just another speculative statement that you pile on to try to characterize the player without any facts.

“Motte has shown how easy it is to find a good $1.5 two way winger.” - Motte has looke good in preseason, we have no idea if he can bring 3rd line two way play for any amount of time in the regular season. He’s been around for awhile and all his coaches have used him as a 4th liner who kills penalties. All his coaches have loved the player but still deployed him as mainly a 4th line energy player.

Welcome back.

Nothing in his play (that you can see) shows that. I see tonnes of me first play. It’s a hockey fan forum. Of course it’s my opinion although there is rumblings DJ’s not thrilled.

Anyway, I like DaCat.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

He’s the first player DJ mentioned when talking about our Pk this year …

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
if he signs anything less than 9M, he's leaving money on the table. Saying that, I would love to get him for like $8.75 x 6

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I'm still trying to figure out how this all works out. What I mean is, if he plays this year, he's a UFA at the end of the season and can get one of those crazy UFA deals in the summer. Why on earth would he want to sign now? What advantage is it for him to sign now (aside from the obvious major injury or the roadrunner dropping an anvil on his head or something)?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad