Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
8 years 8.75 maximum.

If he settles for 8.5 then that's a great, great deal for us.

8.5x8.3x6.5
8.25x8x5

44.55 million.

11x11.6x1
7x11x3.5

Lol.
Why would he sign for that though? Barzal just signed for 9+. Norris and Tkachuk are making 8 and are nowhere near as proven as Debrincat.

He gets 9 automatically IMO. I'd be extremely surprised if he got anything less.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Career performance isn't nearly as important as recent performance, and one could easily make the argument that Fiala has been the better player since he was traded to the Wild.
Fiala for the wild, 215 games ,79 goals, 185 points
DeBrincat ,same time span, 286 games , 132 goals, 255 points

One could make argument, but it’s wrong.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Can you please try do it for us then, easily?

In the last 4 years DeBrincat has 255pts in 286gp, 0.89ppg. 132 goals.

Fiala has 218pts in 279gp in the last 4 seasons (186pts in 215gp since joining the Wild good for 0.86ppg). 89 goals over 4 seasons, 43 goals less than Debrincat over that same time. Thats a massive gap that Fiala does not make up in the form of assists....

The Wild were also a significantly better team over that same stretch too, so unless your trying to say that Fiala is that much better than DeBrincat defensively, or that Kane is that much better than Kaprizov, I just dont see how you can "easily" make this argument.

In the last 3 seasons Fiala and DeBrincat had the same amount of points (179), but Fiala did it in a few less games.

DeBrincat was being set up by arguably the best playmaker in hockey, while Fiala played primarily with Gaudreau and Boldy in 2021/22 and some combination of Rask/Johansson/Hartman/Eriksson Ek/Bonino/Greenway in 2020/21. Not sure about 2019/20.

Fiala has at the very least been on the same tier as DeBrincat over the previous 3 years. Never understood the argument that DeBrincat was a significantly better player and worth giving up significantly more in both assets to acquire and salary.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I think we see Joseph and Formenton getting traded eventually and Pinto will be signed. Rest of the bottom 6 will be guys on bridge deals or ELCs like Greig, Jarventie, Boucher, Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Kastelic, Reinhardt, Kelly and possibly other UFAs like Brassard and Motte.

We're already extremely lucky we have Batherson at 5 and hopefully we can get Pinto done at decent term and money. Cap going up is going to help a lot.

I agree with the NMC, we need flexibility and hopefully someone can replace him (or Giroux) at some point at lower cost.

Yeah I don't know if Formenton plays another game in a Sens uniform. Joseph seems a likely candidate to move in the next couple off-season too.

I'm less worried about the bottom 6 and more about the D and in goal. Talbot is an upcoming UFA and will be 36 by next season. He should be a great stop-gap but if we're looking to contend and Forsberg can't maintain his stellar play, we may need an upgrade there. And obviously the D is already a question mark and if Zub leaves it's an even bigger one.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
In the last 3 seasons Fiala and DeBrincat had the same amount of points (179), but Fiala did it in a few less games.

DeBrincat was being set up by arguably the best playmaker in hockey, while Fiala played primarily with Gaudreau and Boldy in 2021/22 and some combination of Rask/Johansson/Hartman/Eriksson Ek/Bonino/Greenway in 2020/21. Not sure about 2019/20.

Fiala has at the very least been on the same tier as DeBrincat over the previous 3 years. Never understood the argument that DeBrincat was a significantly better player and worth giving up significantly more in both assets to acquire and salary.
Lol, nice move of the goalposts from 4 years to 3 years now.
And literally every team and analyst, said they would of given what Ottawa gave up in a heartbeat.

Let alone DeBrincat had 2 years control left, and Fiala had zero years left.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
And literally every team and analyst, said they would of given what Ottawa gave up in a heartbeat.

No move of the goal posts here. At no point did I ever say 4 years was the comparison, since Fiala only has 3 full seasons with the Wild.

I like the DeBrincat trade and would have made it even if DeBrincat doesn't re-sign. Made sense to buy-low on him in a major buyer's market and rent him for a year and trade him next off-season. If he re-signs - even better.

Your last argument is a silly one. DeBrincat came with no extension, Fiala came with an extension.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009

All things being equal for the acquisition (7OA, 39OA, 2024 3rd round pick), Fiala for 7.875M x 7 vs DeBrincat at 6.4M x 1 year and RFA, I still take DeBrincat.

Now depending on what we sign him, that may change my answer.

If we sign him at less than 9M AAV, I maintain getting DeBrincat was a better choice (younger, fits with the core, higher talent/room to continue to develop). If we sign him at 9.1-9.5M AAV, I probably call it pretty even. If we sign him at >9.6M AAV, I probably wish we took Fiala instead. If he demands a trade out after 1 year or we can't sign him to a short term contract to finish out his RFA years, then maybe I choose Fiala, depending on what the return on DeBrincat is.

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Similar production the past 2 years, with far superior production 3 years ago, while playing with far inferior linemates.

I don't think anyone should downplay the difference in production that inevitably results from getting set-up by Patrick Kane versus Frederick Gaudreau.

Also Fiala produces better 5on5. Debrincat does have better advanced metrics though.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It's hilarious that about 5 months ago everyone was in panic mode about what we could do this offseason. Would Giroux come here? Probably not. Debrincat was not even in the cards. Will the team be able to spend? People were talking about trading for guys like William Karlsson and Jesse Puljujarvi. Matt Murray was still on the team, how in the world would they get rid of him? What to do with Connor Brown likely asking for too much as UFA?

A f***ing miracle happens and we trade for Debrincat AND sign Giroux. Add some help in net and get rid of Murray for peanuts. Buy out White and MDZ. Re-sign Stutzle, Norris, Joseph and add Motte. (All of this leaving Sweatred in a coma btw)

Move forward to now and some people talking about how nice it would be to get Debrincat locked up at Fiala money.

#firstworldproblems

Lmao

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Similar production the past 2 years, with far superior production 3 years ago, while playing with far inferior linemates.

I don't think anyone should downplay the difference in production that inevitably results from getting set-up by Patrick Kane versus Frederick Gaudreau.
I think Fiala feasted on inferior matchups whereas Debrincat played on a 1 line team.

The combined goal total by all Chicago forwards not on the top line was 95. That’s putrid. For comparison our forwards outside of our top line scored 118 goals.

I think we will see that Debrincat is a much more productive player this season.

Reactions: Alex1234

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Ideally, they have a live press conference of Debrincat signing his contract. But his pen doesn't work, so Zub appears from behind the curtains with an extra pen and new contract to sign as well.

But then his pen doesn't work, so Alfie shows up wearing a POHO t-shirt with a working pen and empty plate of nachos.
Bruce came early to that presser

Reactions: Yak and gab6511

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
9.5 x 8. Why would he take anything less? He's one of the most productive wingers in the game.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
9.5 x 8. Why would he take anything less? He's one of the most productive wingers in the game.
A lot of people think that’s because he played with Kane. If he doesn’t have a great season and scores in the 25-30 goal range I don’t think teams are looking to give him 9.5 mill.

I’d say 8x8.75. He can then go buy a nice place for his wife and young child.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A lot of people think that’s because he played with Kane. If he doesn’t have a great season and scores in the 25-30 goal range I don’t think teams are looking to give him 9.5 mill.

There are teams out there that may think they have a Kane to get him those totals again even if his goal scoring goes down with Ottawa.

Goal scoring is always in demand.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

I’d say 8x8.75. He can then go buy a nice place for his wife and young child.
Geez, I can't imagine people thinking that. I get it, Kane is a superstar, but all you have to do is watch Debrincat in action and you see the elite level talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad