Player Discussion Alex DeBrincat

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
He's not going to give up 3 years at 8+ million to sign another contract at 29.

He signed a bridge deal so he could get a mega deal now, he's not going to be signing for anything less than 7 years

He signed a bridge deal because the Hawks were on the decline and he likely wanted to have maximum control over where he goes. He would be forgoing 2 years (i doubt he would sign for 8) of salary so that hes still signing a contract in his prime.

Just look at the contract Huberdeau signed for a comparable. Huberdeau gets to essentially retire making a boatload of money. Also with the cap going up in the next 3 years it would be more profitable for top players to sign shorter deals to realize that increase when it happens.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
adtvjvkgzlp91.jpg

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
He signed a bridge deal because the Hawks were on the decline and he likely wanted to have maximum control over where he goes. He would be forgoing 2 years (i doubt he would sign for 8) of salary so that hes still signing a contract in his prime.

Just look at the contract Huberdeau signed for a comparable. Huberdeau gets to essentially retire making a boatload of money. Also with the cap going up in the next 3 years it would be more profitable for top players to sign shorter deals to realize that increase when it happens.
Hard to imagine if Kadri was stirring up so much attention in the UFA market as a 31 year old that DeBrincat wouldn't also for a max contract as a 29 year old.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

Huberdeau signed a 6 year deal, without even hitting 60 points yet, after his ELC. DBC already signed his after ELC contract.

Debrincat has 2 seasons of ppg+, and 3 seasons of 40g+.

At the points in their careers of signing their contracts, they aren't similar players whatsoever.

Chances of DBC signing for anything less than 7 years are incredibly, incredibly slim.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Huberdeau signed a 6 year deal, without even hitting 60 points yet, after his ELC. DBC already signed his after ELC contract.

Debrincat has 2 seasons of ppg+, and 3 seasons of 40g+.

At the points in their careers of signing their contracts, they aren't similar players whatsoever.

Chances of DBC signing for anything less than 7 years are incredibly, incredibly slim.

I feel if Fiala outproduces Debrincat again, Debrincat would be asinine to ask for anything more than $9mill. Sens management will go crazy and be like you expect to make more than a $1mill than a player that outproduced you two seasons in a row?

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I feel if Fiala outproduces Debrincat again, Debrincat would be asinine to ask for anything more than $9mill. Sens management will go crazy and be like you expect to make more than a $1mill than a player that outproduced you two seasons in a row?
Zero clue what this is asking

Reactions: Masked

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm just saying management will be like why would you ask for $9.5mill+ when a comparable who outproduced you twice in a row is making way less?
His agent would probably say:

1. Fiala hasn't outproduced my client twice in a row
2. My Client is 2 years younger
3. Fiala signed a 7 year deal, not a 5
4. My client has scored over 40 goals 2 times, and has paced over 40 3. Fiala has never scored or paced over 40.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
His agent would probably say:

1. Fiala hasn't outproduced my client twice in a row
2. My Client is 2 years younger
3. Fiala signed a 7 year deal, not a 5
4. My client has scored over 40 goals 2 times, and has paced over 40 3. Fiala has never scored or paced over 40.

Well Debrincat better be signing for 8 years.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'm just saying management will be like why would you ask for $9.5mill+ when a comparable who outproduced you twice in a row is making way less?
He'll probably retort with "because at least 10 teams will offer me that."

Note, in his first 4 seasons alone (286 games), DeBrincat has outscorde Fiala's entire 6 year career (414 games).

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Barzal just got 9.1

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think he'll get around 9.

He's more proven than guys signing for less, and not as good as guys signing for more.

Tap on the Ankle

Jun 9, 2004
Ottawa
DeBrincat is over a year younger and has a career average 35 goals per 82 games vs Fiala's 23.7 over 82. Different players.

DeBrincat's career low (an 18 goal off-year in 2019-20) is one hot streak away from Fiala's career average.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
DeBrincat is over a year younger and has a career average 35 goals per 82 games vs Fiala's 23.7 over 82. Different players.

Career performance isn't nearly as important as recent performance, and one could easily make the argument that Fiala has been the better player since he was traded to the Wild.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I hope we can get DeBrincay for 8 years with an $8.5 aav max. He'll be the highest paid player on the roster and it'll make him even more loved by fans. He'd be leaving a million or at least $500k on the table if he does that, but it would help us keep depth that can compete.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Career performance isn't nearly as important as recent performance, and one could easily make the argument that Fiala has been the better player since he was traded to the Wild.
One could try to make that argument but they would be wrong.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I still think we're getting too top heavy and investing too much at forward, but re-signing DeBrincat definitely makes sense.

If I were Dorion I would give him a bit extra on the contract if he would forgo the NMC. Would be nice to have some flexibility there after 2-3 years once money becomes more tight.

Reactions: NB613 and GCK

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
One could try to make that argument but they would be wrong.

Similar production the past 2 years, with far superior production 3 years ago, while playing with far inferior linemates.

I don't think anyone should downplay the difference in production that inevitably results from getting set-up by Patrick Kane versus Frederick Gaudreau.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I still think we're getting too top heavy and investing too much at forward, but re-signing DeBrincat definitely makes sense.

If I were Dorion I would give him a bit extra on the contract if he would forgo the NMC. Would be nice to have some flexibility there after 2-3 years once money becomes more tight.

I think we see Joseph and Formenton getting traded eventually and Pinto will be signed. Rest of the bottom 6 will be guys on bridge deals or ELCs like Greig, Jarventie, Boucher, Ostapchuk, Crookshank, Kastelic, Reinhardt, Kelly and possibly other UFAs like Brassard and Motte.

We're already extremely lucky we have Batherson at 5 and hopefully we can get Pinto done at decent term and money. Cap going up is going to help a lot.

I agree with the NMC, we need flexibility and hopefully someone can replace him (or Giroux) at some point at lower cost.

Reactions: NB613

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

I agree that we’re a bit top heavy but a lot will shake out when the games are played.

I think any of our top nine would be attractive to other teams so we can work in an ELC like Grieg or maybe Crookshank and lose someone to shore up another area over time.

Reactions: Cosmix

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Can you please try do it for us then, easily?

In the last 4 years DeBrincat has 255pts in 286gp, 0.89ppg. 132 goals.

Fiala has 218pts in 279gp in the last 4 seasons (186pts in 215gp since joining the Wild good for 0.86ppg). A total of 89 goals over the last 4 seasons.

Thats 43 less goals than Debrincat scored over that same time. Thats a massive gap that Fiala does not make up in the form of assists (Fiala only has 6 more assists fwiw)......

The Wild were also a significantly better team than the Hawks over that same stretch too, so unless your trying to say that Fiala is that much better than DeBrincat defensively, or that Kane is that much better than Kaprizov, I just dont see how you can "easily" make this argument.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad