Which prospects impress and disappoint at Rookie and NHL camps?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Beating two beer league level goalies is nothing to brag about.

What was somewhat important is how the Mailloux, Reinbacher and Hutson will do because they are suppose to be half our future defense. Then Beck is the next in line to graduate this year.

Other then Hutson, the other two played OK but did not dominate to prove the are NHL ready right this minute. Beck was our best forward and easy call up.

If you want to see our future forward lines come back next year when Demidov, Kapanen and Hage enter the picture. Add to it more mature Tuch, Thorpe and Little X.

The game was a bit of disappointment that several forwards are not as far along as they should be, but it's a pile of kids thrown together after a long summer. Let's see them at the pre-season games to make a better judgement.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
All this talk about savoie being disappointing is hilarious considering all the talk this summer about how amazing of a spec he is a what a steal of a trade that was for Edmonton (I wasn't of this opinion) :laugh:

People really just look at where someone was drafted and make an entire opinion on that.

Last edited:

Kaners PPGs

Jun 2, 2012
Chicagoland (Tinley Park)
All this talk about savoie being disappointing is hilarious considering all the talk this summer about how amazing of a spec he is a what a steal of a trade that was for Edmonton (I wasn't of this opinion) :laugh:

People really just look at where someone was drafted and make an entire opinion on that.
Multiple analysts said how Savoi had fallen behind Benson, Kulich, and Ostlund. The deal definitely wasn't as lopsided as many made it out to be.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Multiple analysts said how Savoi had fallen behind Benson, Kulich, and Ostlund. The deal definitely wasn't as lopsided as many made it out to be.
Yup. Savoi isn’t looking like an NHLer. IMO the Oilers made that trade for cap reasons.

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
I am usually one to quickly defend the NHL-CHL transfer agreement but I certainly believe that he was done a disservice last year. He looked good in his brief AHL stint, and I think this was the place for him to develop instead of what was, in essence, his 5th junior season (I know he only played 22 games at 15 and a COVID shortened USHL season).

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gotta be disappointed as a Habs fan. Dropping 2 games vs the Leafs despite them being deep in a rebuild and the Leafs having only have 1 first round pick player in both games. Hutson looks good but most of the rest of the roster were very underwhelming.

Minten and Cowan look better than every Habs forward
Probably not as disappointing as realizing the Habs have a way better and deeper prospect pool plus have won more playoff rounds in the last 4 years

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006

That is a small sample size to make your judgement.

LeProspector

AINEC
Feb 14, 2017

I tried to tell them, man.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

Andy Dufresne

Jun 17, 2009
People making way way too many conclusions on these prospect tournaments. I've watched the Canucks Youngstars tourney as long as it's been going. Been live 2 years. It's fun. In the end it means almost nothing. Seen dozens of guys look great....and turn into pretty much nothing (at the nhl level). Vice versa- guys look pedestrian who turn into everyday nhlers or better.
Matt Savoie's career isn't over. Lane Hutson isn't a lock for the HOF.
It is what it is.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
For the Devils

-Mikael Diotte (undrafted) played a mature game, nothing shiny but knew where to be. Maybe has a chance to be a injury call up in a year or two

-Tyler Brennan did pretty good in the game he was goalie. Perhaps showing that there is still hope for him to become something after Devils fans souring on him last year.

-Isaac Poulter also did pretty well in net.

- Chase Stillman Had a bit of a coming out party after not really standing out in previous years and thought of GM fitzergerald's biggest mistakes in drafting. He managed to score four goals and one assist while being noticeable in all area's of the game. It's still up in the air if he'll ever be worth the 28th pick but at least it looks like he will be a Devil.

Seamus Casey looked like a veteran in doing everything right and really seemed to do a good job being a quarterback for the powerplay. With Hamilton, Pesce, and Nemec blocking him from playing in the NHL it's hard to see where he fits within the organization long term.

-Graham and Melovsky while not showing up much in the score board both looked promising and perhaps the reason they were drafted a couple months ago.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
At the Prospect Showcase in STL, these are the players that stood out to me.

Blues:
Zack Bolduc was the best. I think he makes the team. Dalibor Dvorsky, Zach Dean and Michael Buchinger stood out too.

Blackhawks:
Frank Nazar was probably the best player of the 3 teams. Hate to say it as a Blues fan but he was really good. Hockey sense and speed for days.
Nick Lardis, AJ Spellacy, Nolan Allan, Landon Slaggert and Drew Commesso looked good too.

Wild:
…nobody? I guess Riley Heidt and Ryder Ritchie looked alright but the Wild were pretty outclassed by both teams.

Shlep

Sep 13, 2024
2 games in Canucks

Lekkerimaki looked electric vs the OIlers could have had 3 or 4 goals. Then conversely looked out of sync against the Jets and just small and timid. Really need to see him against NHLers in camp and exhibitions to get a better read as he's a pure goal scorer who may excel with an elite c but could also really suck if he cant find ways to finish and gets pushed out of the play.

Raty much the same. Really good 1st game 2nd game couldn't create much space and the whole line chased the play. Really bad service from the D and no PPs but expected more. Skating is barely acceptable so he'll need to pick it up at main camp. Some noted improvements but looked sluggish today after looking good in game 1.

Bains has been poor so far especially for someone who is 23 and should be dominant. Fighting the puck horribly and he usually has good hands and playmaking so far a hot mess.

Pettersson is someone teams will get familiar with soon. He's a player. Elite prospects had him at 57 and that was before he grew 2" and 20lbs and become a physical beast that can really skate. Looking like a steal but he's got things to work on. Tools and stature look like a sure fire NHLer but gotta be reliable. He'll need seasoning in Abby but excited to see a huge mover from his draft position to pretty much a blue chip

Alriksson is someone to keep an eye on. Massive physical specimen that can skate and looks like he's made some significant strides. Big year in the OHL incoming

Kudryavstev has also been a nice surprise. Lots of work to do and may even be back in the OHL this year but a good looking puck mover with poise a solid core and 4 way mobility who could be a solid AHLer as a 20yr old if they decide to go that route. Last 2 are long shots but have some intriguing traits that could make them useful

On the opposition

Oilers
Savoie looked really bad. Complete passenger small and weak. Bad teammates but was pretty disappointing for a 9OA
Jets
Lambert was a stud. Scored a nice goal and set up another. Skating is elite. He looks like a guy who could help the Jets this year
Yager looks like a really good prospect. Smart 2 way game. High end skill wicked shot and really good skater. Another year of development and then he should be pushing for a spot with the Jets. I get the feeling they wont miss McGroarty that much.
Barlow looked poor. Struggled to keep up and rough around the edges. Strong kid but still a ways to go for NHL impact
Chibrikov is very good in the offensive zone and feisty. Other 2 zones im not so sure about.
Julien was a noticeable checker/energy player

My 2C
Regarding Chibrikov, he back checks like hell but when he gets the puck in the defensive zone he can definitely make some passes that you'd rather not see. Good transition game in the neutral zone and great zone entries. I'm a big fan.

Lekkerimaki did have one absolute bomb from a spot that I didn't think he could get off against us, but yeah apart from that didn't feel like a great game by his standards.

Thought Romani looked really good, solid pick in the 6th round.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
At the Prospect Showcase in STL, these are the players that stood out to me.

Blues:
Zack Bolduc was the best. I think he makes the team. Dalibor Dvorsky, Zach Dean and Michael Buchinger stood out too.

Blackhawks:
Frank Nazar was probably the best player of the 3 teams. Hate to say it as a Blues fan but he was really good. Hockey sense and speed for days.
Nick Lardis, AJ Spellacy, Nolan Allan, Landon Slaggert and Drew Commesso looked good too.

Wild:
…nobody? I guess Riley Heidt and Ryder Ritchie looked alright but the Wild were pretty outclassed by both teams.
Heidt, Bankier, Haight were clear best forwards for the Wild group. Lambos and Spacek were both pretty good on D, Peart was great vs Chicago but not so much vs Blues. Team played two games in 20 hours vs a rested opponent and all the goals against came in the third on the 18 year old goalie Wutzke and roster was also 50% invitees. Leskovar deserves a nod for standing out physically at his age, thought he played well until he ran out of steam and got burned by Bolduc. Ritchie looked about how you would expect for a new draftee, overwhelmed mostly but did show a nice shot a couple times.

None of these guys are currently projected to the Wild starting lineup this year, but the D are battling for injury call ups vs some of the older prospects. Heidt may get time if he continues to play well and converts with more talent around him, but still needs strength and speed development IMO.

Bolduc was an obvious standout, good speed and strength on display. I was not as impressed by Nazar but only caught part of his game vs the Blues. High skill level for him, but not yet pro ready IMO.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
TBH not a single player came all that close to wowing me from the Young Stars Penticton tournament. Watched bits & pieces of the other ones but not enough to get a good read. Michkov and Nazar seemed to be making things happen nearly every time they were on the ice. Bolduc looked good for the Blues. Kulich should make the Sabres. Cowan, Minten, Hutson, Mailloux all looked like future NHLers from the Habs v Leafs games.

The best players for each team in my view from Penticton:

Calgary - Brzustewicz only played two games but was the best player on the ice IMO for 5/7 periods. Just makes correct decisions 90% of the time. Stromgren and Morton both furthered their cases for being late cuts at camp. Wouldn't be surprised if those two got some NHL games this season. Ciona looked a lot faster than he was last year, will be interesting to see if he can take a step or two in the AHL this season. Gridin, Parekh, and Basha clearly all talented but all tried to do too much themselves. Was a very young group that flashed some nice individual skill but lots and I do mean lots of work to do yet.

Edmonton - Their goalies maybe? The Oil scored 1 goal in the tourney. Never been a big Savoie fan but I've seen quite a few slagging him for his performance which seems unfair. None of their defenseman could make a pass and the best guy he played with projects to be a bottom 6 defensive C at best. He's not a guy to carry an offense. Him and O'Reilly the only guys that looked like they had NHL potential, maybe that Nicholls kid who played smart and effective. Corbet fought everyone that came in arms reach so good for him.

Vancouver - Lekkerimaki was dangerous. Could have had 4-5 goals if he could hit the net. Decent speed and some nice hands. Some other energy fwds that could be NHLers. Elias Pettersson the second was surprisingly good with the puck and a handful physically. Thought Raty looked a lot faster than I remembered. Alriksson(sp?) is very big and had a good game against the Flames today.

Winnipeg - Lambert is one of the most fluid skaters I've watched. Probably doesn't have the IQ to be a top of the lineup guy but I was miffed he dropped so far being a natural center with his size and stride. As a big Yager fan I didn't think he was particularly good in the tourney, needs a year or two in the AHL for sure. Barlow and Chibrikov were both just OK. That big defenseman Salomensson or something you could see the tools and he looked composed for being so young.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Calum Ritchie played well for the Avs.

5 assists in two games on a bad rookie team with no depth. Two very nice sauce passes on PP goals. Cross seam. No look. Here is one of them.

x.com

Behrens looked good defensively.

Olausson scored a few times.

Really was just Ritchie that looked ready for the NHL. He also said he put on 17 lbs of muscle this summer. Seems a bit dubious to add that much in a few months, but lets just assume he was pleased with his work in the weight room over the past 4 months. Avs likely drafted a future top six forward (a big center) with that 2023 1st round pick.

Last edited:

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
O’Rielly, Clattenburg and Nichols looks good for Edmonton. Savoie made one decent play in 3 games and decent PKing skill, overall looked very underwhelming in something he should be dominating.

Chibrikov and Jager for the Jets looked really good, they had a few other stand out players but I already forgot the names

Reactions: Nevins

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Tristan Broz had a fantastic weekend for the Pens rookies this past weekend in Buffalo!! He played really well along side McGroarty.

Other stand outs for the Pens were Ponomarev and Koivunen both pick up in the Guentzel trade last season.

On D, the most consistent player over the games was 5th rounder Isaac Beliveau. He had a decent season last year and should get a good 1st AHL season under his belt this season.

And finally Murashov since coming over to NA a few weeks ago has been just phenomenal

A long way to go, but quite a few promising young players coming up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad