Rumor: Adrian Dater - Sakic looking to add a C with a bit of term and Goalie insurance- Mentions JT Miller

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Hughes has played off-side D before and done it well.

You dont refuse an offer than includes Byram because OEL is eating up minutes.
thats not OEL thats LOL

have you heard of the salary cap? it's a new thing. it means, unless oel or hughes is traded, the canucks are not wasting assets or cap space adding a valuable left hand defenceman. for different reasons a trade of either is unlikely so, for better or worse, they already have 45 minutes per game and $14m per year in cap spoken for on that side for years to come. they have 15 minutes to fill spending about $2m in cap space.

they could certainly make room for a solid young elc prospect over there, but they would not use valuable treasure to pay the premium for a known marquee prospect like byram to fight for minutes at the expense of sunk costs. they will logically use that treasure to strengthen themselves elsewhere.

and you don't ever make a trade based on the hope moving your best player to the right side to make room for him will work out long term. hughes is an undersized defenceman just now finding a way to play defence on his strong side. committing to a major move based on the belief you can safely put him on his backhand without a drop off in play would be idiotic.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
have you heard of the salary cap? it's a new thing. it means, unless oel or hughes is traded, the canucks are not wasting assets or cap space adding a valuable left hand defenceman. for different reasons a trade of either is unlikely so, for better or worse, they already have 45 minutes per game and $14m per year in cap spoken for on that side for years to come. they have 15 minutes to fill spending about $2m in cap space.

they could certainly make room for a solid young elc prospect over there, but they would not use valuable treasure to pay the premium for a known marquee prospect like byram to fight for minutes at the expense of sunk costs. they will logically use that treasure to strengthen themselves elsewhere.

and you don't ever make a trade based on the hope moving your best player to the right side to make room for him will work out long term. hughes is an undersized defenceman just now finding a way to play defence on his strong side. committing to a major move based on the belief you can safely put him on his backhand without a drop off in play would be idiotic.

Even if Byram is healthy,

He isnt ready for the top minues that OEL and Hughes are eating on the left side.

Let him get healthy, marinate as the 3rd pairing LD role.

No issue with that.

I would take any AVS offer that includes Byram for Miller, assuming all health and medical test pass for Byram.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Barron, 1st( 2023 or 2024), 3rd- Jost

for

Miller 50% retained and Halak

* Canucks get to choose which year the 1st round pick is* Either 2023 or 2024 no protection*

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
I think it’s clear as day that most don’t know who Miller is and has been (as a Canuck) as a player.

He absolutely should garner 3 quality pieces.

If not, he stays and the Nucks look to deal him either at the draft or next years TDL.

Reactions: bh53

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Name one

Lol cmon man
Contact man what? Top 20 in scoring, been near the top past 2 seasons as well. Near the top of the league in FO%. Plays all 3 forward positions, and is on pp1 and pk1. He is the jewel of the TDL and there will be 10-15 teams trying to get him.

Reactions: bh53

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Even if Byram is healthy,

He isnt ready for the top minues that OEL and Hughes are eating on the left side.

Let him get healthy, marinate as the 3rd pairing LD role.

No issue with that.

I would take any AVS offer that includes Byram for Miller, assuming all health and medical test pass for Byram.
Byram was logging 20+ minutes a game on a cup contender, he’s ready. With that said there’s no way he’s available, I’d trade Girard before Byram.

Reactions: bh53 and Ararana

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Avs should be all in for the next two years. There's a ton of pay raises coming in the next 1-3 years and the Barron's and Newhooks of the world aren't nearly enough to compensate for the upcoming cap problems. Not being willing to trade Newhook + for two playoff runs with Miller or a similar calibre player is foolish.

But Sakic is too conservative of a GM to go all in. Reminds me of Gillis in that way.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Avs should be all in for the next two years. There's a ton of pay raises coming in the next 1-3 years and the Barron's and Newhooks of the world aren't nearly enough to compensate for the upcoming cap problems. Not being willing to trade Newhook + for two playoff runs with Miller or a similar calibre player is foolish.

But Sakic is too conservative of a GM to go all in. Reminds me of Gillis in that way.

Vancouver is not getting a player of Newhook's caliber for two years of Miller...

Pre concussion , that would be crazy for Avs to do.

Post concussion- that would be crazy for Canucks to do

Strong disagree. Canucks would roll the dice on that 100 times out of 100. Which is the same reason the Avs aren't trading him. IMO, Byram ends up coming back from this and has has himself a career.

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
Vancouver is not getting a player of Newhook's caliber for two years of Miller...
I don't think Sakic will make any significant move, so in that sense I agree. It's just not his MO. He'll dig in the bargain bin for cheaper and roll the dice on whether or not the budget version works out.

But if he does acquire Miller, there will be a big add on Newhook.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021

Strong disagree. Canucks would roll the dice on that 100 times out of 100. Which is the same reason the Avs aren't trading him. IMO, Byram ends up coming back from this and has has himself a career.

I'm not here to predict what will happen to Byram but concussions and brain injuries are not something id gamble on.

Canucks cant afford to gamble that Byram will have himself a career.

Imagine turning down a top prospect + a 1st round pick for Miller and instead getting Byram instead only to have Byram be a shell of himself or worse retire early.

Too big of a risk for the Canucks who are retooling and lack sure things in their system.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
I think it’s clear as day that most don’t know who Miller is and has been (as a Canuck) as a player.

He absolutely should garner 3 quality pieces.

If not, he stays and the Nucks look to deal him either at the draft or next years TDL.

This is a horrible asset management and negotiation tactic. If you’re looking to move Miller you move him for pieces that helps your team moving forward. Getting caught up in the we have to get 3 quality pieces or else is the ego talking, those hard lines don’t do any good. I don’t care about “winning” the trade, I’m fine with a fair deal that addresses ours and their needs. Canucks biggest need is a long term partner for Hughes.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
The Canucks front office trying to churn up the rumor machine with random reporters that don't have ties to the teams they are reporting on is pretty comical

so Vancouver targeted none other than Adrian Dater to “spread” this rumor.

don’t blow your shoulder out with that reach.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
This is a horrible asset management and negotiation tactic. If you’re looking to move Miller you move him for pieces that helps your team moving forward. Getting caught up in the we have to get 3 quality pieces or else is the ego talking, those hard lines don’t do any good. I don’t care about “winning” the trade, I’m fine with a fair deal that addresses ours and their needs. Canucks biggest need is a long term partner for Hughes.
3 quality pieces is a fair deal unless one piece is extremely blue chip.

Right now offers are $0.75 on the dollar at best.

So you wait till you do get fair value.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
3 quality pieces is a fair deal unless one piece is extremely blue chip.

Right now offers are $0.75 on the dollar at best.

So you wait till you do get fair value.

A fair deal isn’t about the number of pieces in the deal it’s about how it helps us moving forward. These hard lines usually backfire

Canuck Luck

Jun 15, 2008
Vancouver
Take out Helleson and put in Kaut or a second and I’d consider it
Would have to be Helleson if we are retaining on miller. There is no top end prospect and the 1st should be in extremely late.

helleson = late 1st/early 2nd value
Barron = mid 1st value
23 1st = late 1st

The price for miller at full cost starts at something like Barron + 1st for us to even consider a trade. Is the 2.625M ret for 1.5 years worth helleson to Colorado?

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Would have to be Helleson if we are retaining on miller. There is no top end prospect and the 1st should be in extremely late.

helleson = late 1st/early 2nd value
Barron = mid 1st value
23 1st = late 1st

The price for miller at full cost starts at something like Barron + 1st for us to even consider a trade. Is the 2.625M ret for 1.5 years worth helleson to Colorado?

LOL. No.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad