Post-Game Talk: #79: Flyers at Red Wings, Wednesday, April 6, 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
No because what you just described is the exact definition of coincidence. When most people talk about clutch they don't restrict it to high impact players either. A collection of great players makes a great team. A great team makes the playoffs a lot and goes deep. Players on great teams who go deep in the playoffs a lot get a lot of chances to score important goals and eventually somebody is going to score them and it's usually going to be one of their best players since those are the people who get in the position to score the most.

Or you can just place it all on some completely intangible and lazy concept like clutch.

Jeff Carter is a repeat Cup winner since leaving us as a key member of the LA Kings top six. Not the best example to bring up.

You have a problem with the clutch argument but have no problem with "coincidence"? Lol

I'm saying Carter got ripped here (and still does) for his inability to make the big play...something that finally changed when he scored that one SCF GWG for LA.

Even though I like the guy the critisicm back than was kind of warranted.

Same deal with Giroux.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Not gonna be popular in here but Giroux deserves some critisicm as well, even though he isn't a main issue.

Dude has not been able to kick the door down and control a big, game since GM 6 of the 2011 playoffs against Pitt where he leveled Crosby and scored in one shift.

You get paid like a big boy and get the big fancy C you should be noticeable every night despite extra mins and playing against star opposition.

He simply hasnt.

Wouldn't it have been faster for you to just type "I don't pay attention but I want to complain too!"?

Well I called it in the GDT, only a matter of time before people say stupid **** about Giroux too. :laugh: How embarrassingly predictable.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
g isn't as good as carter. Voracek is an out of shape flake too. 8 yr deal for a dud.

Without getting into the Jake comment, there is no doubt in my mind Carter is a better goal scorer than Giroux.

From there the different Pros and Cons of the two players become a lot more blurry.

Without a doubt Giroux looked more comfortable playing the game when he didn't have the added pressure of representing the team with the C.

Really do think it was a mistake giving him the C.

Should have just let him focus on being awesome on the ice.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Some things to consider-- the Flyers are probably not going to be facing a full Penguins or Islanders lineup. If Pittsburgh wins tomorrow they clinch home ice. There is no chance they play Crosby, Kessel, or Letang in a meaningless game against the Flyers of all teams. The Islanders could catch the Rangers, but they are probably much more comfortable in a wild card spot playing Florida than Pittsburgh.

The Flyers are a tired group at this point. They put a lot in during the run to get to this point, then the schedule condensed on them. They had been overperforming considerably as well, so I never really expected them to maintain the pace or play they had, and I'm not terribly surprised that they've seemed so listless the past couple games. I was really hoping they could have kept that energy somehow though.

Also, it's not said enough, but losing MDZ really, really hurt. Especially because he had something going with Ghost as well.

MDZ-Ghost
Schultz-Streit
MacDonald-Gudas

would have been so, so much better than

Schultz-Streit
MacDonald-Ghost
Manning-Gudas

Lots of players have looked off for a couple games here including Giroux and Schenn who had otherwise been very reliable. I won't say much on Jake, but as bad as he's been, he's not the reason they're losing. He's one of them right now, but not nearly as big of one as some people would make it seem.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Warning: Numbskull comments about Giroux are being made.

Do not engage. I repeat, do NOT engage.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
bqS2rO4.jpg

Did I just see someone say G shouldn't be captain?

8DjLMXsmG5E.jpg

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Without a doubt Giroux looked more comfortable playing the game when he didn't have the added pressure of representing the team with the C.

When was that? He pushed Carter to the wing pretty rapidly.

Interesting, a lot of players strongly disagree with you. But you know better, right?

He's done just fine at that actually, what with him leading the NHL in points over the last 5 years while also playing damned good defense, and being the linchpin of our PP while also being an effective PKer.

Why do you just make things up? I don't get it.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Without getting into the Jake comment, there is no doubt in my mind Carter is a better goal scorer than Giroux.

From there the different Pros and Cons of the two players become a lot more blurry.

Of course he looked better before he had the C, the entire team was better. G is nearly our entire offense.

We have G and Voracek as legit top 6 forwards and then a BUNCH of low end 2nd line/3rd liners.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Why is that hard to believe? The best player on the team doesn't have to be the captain.

When did I say the best player had to be captain? Never. Who would you like to be captain? You won't find one other person upset with Giroux's role as leader of this team. Each and every player looks up to him and leads by example.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Come on now.

Schenn, Simmonds, Coots are not low end 2nd and 3rd liners.
I beg to differ. Nobody is worrying about them when they are on the ice.

Each of them, while good players, have problems.

Jeff Carter who you mentioned earlier is a PRIME example of a top second line player. When he went from "first liner" here, to a second tier player in LA, he's been MUCH more consistent.

Our depth is so mediocre, we can't get anyone to take reliable pressure off of our first line.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
But the bottom 6 is atrocious and can't take on tough matchups like back in 2012. Plus up until this year the defense was god awful in puck movement and transition (it still is).

Honestly, I think with Lindblom, Cousins, Laughton, Leier and Ghoul in the bottom 6, it will actually be good. Well, when they are in the bottom 6.

In the future:

Konecny-Giroux-Voracek
Schenn-Couts-Simmonds
Laughton-Cousins-Lindblom
Leier-xxxx-Ghoul

Fast and lots of skill.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
Even though they don't score the 4th line has had some of best sustained pressure in the ozone at ES the last couple of games. And I think VV has actually been the best at battling and creating chances of the three on that line.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Such a disappointing outcome. Biggest game of the season and not even one goal scored. Things get more interesting now. But on more positive note, we still have everything in our hands. I don't believe that Voracek is fully healthy, he has to be playing through some injury. Otherwise he really has to think about his game in the summer. Soon to be an 8M winger can't play like that.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
So 5 points needed without Detroit's help tonight or 3 pts needed if Detroit wins in regulation tonight.

Sound about right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad