Post-Game Talk: #79: Flyers at Red Wings, Wednesday, April 6, 2016

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bungle

Casual Observer
Jan 20, 2006
LA
I'd like to see Hakstol get the Flyers to the playoffs in his first season, but I'm kind of burned out on watching this current lineup.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm losing faith. This defense is terrible and Ghost looks out of gas. I think they win but miss by a couple of points. I don't think they win at all this weekend. Wednesday game was huge and they got nothing.

skoods

May 10, 2010
Boston, MA
Some terrible "fans" on this site. People calling for Schenn to go because of one game? People saying that this is the most unlikeable Flyers team in memory? You little girls need to stop watching the games and play with your doll houses if you want something that won't leave you so upset afterwards.

It was one game. They come out and win tonight, it's meaningless.

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Some terrible "fans" on this site. People calling for Schenn to go because of one game? People saying that this is the most unlikeable Flyers team in memory? You little girls need to stop watching the games and play with your doll houses if you want something that won't leave you so upset afterwards.

I agree that people need to get behind the team, but last night was certainly not meaningless. They are just now likely required to get some points this weekend as well.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

That type of "fan" sees bad losses as an opportunity to go after their favorite targets regardless of whether they had anything to do with the loss.

DogwoodFLY

Jul 13, 2009
I still can't get over that nothing was called on their first goal. A Hook into a spear causing Ghost to throw the puck in front of his own net.

Don't even get me started on Milbury.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I had to miss the first period of the game, so I'm not sure how the effort looked out there, but the one player that was noticeably giving a crap effort in the 2nd/3rd period was Simmonds. I'm not one to ever say, "This guy shouldn't be on the team, or let's trade him," and I'm not saying that but the effort needs to be there on a game like last nights. The only decent play was his hit on Abdelkader, which sprung Giroux's slap shot from the slot, but the rest of his effort was horrendous, especially for a guy who has an A on his jersey. While Jake needs to put more of those pucks on net on that PP in the 2nd period, Simmonds blew two pretty good opportunities because he looked like he just wasn't ready for a pass and didn't react.

Other Notes:
- As somebody else mentioned, Ghost has got to be tired. Given that he played in the NCAA and his injury last year, he's played significantly more games in this period of time than he has in his life and it's showing. There's just not as much going on with the breakouts or even with his creativity from the point. Not really anything you can do about it but just something to be cognizant of.

- Mason haters are the worst. He's been playing lights out. The first goal was a fluke and he nearly made the save on the break away for the second goal. He's the best goalie we's had in probably 25-30 years and it's not really close IMO.

- Voracek looks like a different player from last year. There's no confidence in his play, a lot of mismanaged pucks and he hasn't been creating like he did last year. I'd like to see him put back on the first line with G and see if that can spark him.

- Gagner and Read have been horrendous. I personally didn't really buy into Gagner's hot streak. He doesn't really show up for the strong majority of the game and then he may have a nice play or two but he's horrible defensively, soft and inconsistent. I'd imagine there's no way he's back. Read has been an offensive black hole and a bit too passive defensively for my liking. The defense isn't really a concern for me but we can't paying this guy 3 million a year for this level of play. Not sure if he has any value but I'd be more than OK with unloading him this offseason.

- Vandevelde has impressed me recently. However, take this for what it's worth. Comparatively, he's been playing a lot better the last few games than he has for the rest of the year. He's still not bringing any offense but his forechecking and PKing has been better the past few games than it was earlier in the year. This is the first time all year I can say that he's been playing the best hockey on his line (not that the competition is all that fierce).

Lastly, I don't think we're going to make the playoffs but I hope I'm wrong. I know the odds are still in our favor but I think we're too worn down and simply not good enough to sustain the level of play that we were putting out there.

Danko

The Bearer of Bad Knees
Jul 28, 2004
Read has been an offensive black hole and a bit too passive defensively for my liking. The defense isn't really a concern for me but we can't paying this guy 3 million a year for this level of play. Not sure if he has any value but I'd be more than OK with unloading him this offseason.

Cannot wait until he is gone.

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
i was in the ER during the game and i was hoping they'd give me more morphine to deal with the pain of being a Flyers fan

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
The team needs to score more goals.

Goals For: 203 (24th of 30), Goals Against: 211 (14th of 30) (was 13th before last night)

Defense, as much as it needs fresh bodies, was part of the surprise this season.

Guys that took a step backward (V, Read, etc) have taken a lot of danger out of this team.

If V never wakes up it is going to get ugly. This year he's gotten somewhat of a pass. If he's a turd next year it is time to criticize the hell out of him. I get he's injured. That excuse won't hold in October.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
It's hilarious how quickly people forget that this team was over performing and isn't supposed to be where they are.
weird post
they earned their positioning & frankly the east is full of mediocre and sub-par teams

explosive skating

Jul 5, 2015
I think most people here overreacted.. I agree they lost a huge game but their effort wasn't that bad.

The game was even, they didn't get bounces and that's all. Remember that the first goal shouldn't have happened because it was caused by illegal play. And that goal set the tone of the game. And then Voracek mishandling the puck led to the second one. Even EN was fluky :shakehead

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
I think most people here overreacted.. I agree they lost a huge game but their effort wasn't that bad.

The game was even, they didn't get bounces and that's all. Remember that the first goal shouldn't have happened because it was caused by illegal play. And that goal set the tone of the game. And then Voracek mishandling the puck led to the second one. Even EN was fluky :shakehead

The first goal, Richards practically took Ghost's sweater right off his friggin' arm, but no hooking penalty? Bettman's NHL.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

I wouldn't really say that, Detroit pretty much shut them down offensively last night. They clogged up the middle of the slot & kept the Flyers to the outside. The Flyers aren't an overly skilled team so that's pretty much a death sentence to them if you take away that from them.

hckyplayer8

Don't bang the glass
Mar 26, 2011
Grand Forks,ND
The team needs to score more goals.

Goals For: 203 (24th of 30), Goals Against: 211 (14th of 30) (was 13th before last night)

Defense, as much as it needs fresh bodies, was part of the surprise this season.

Guys that took a step backward (V, Read, etc) have taken a lot of danger out of this team.

If V never wakes up it is going to get ugly. This year he's gotten somewhat of a pass. If he's a turd next year it is time to criticize the hell out of him. I get he's injured. That excuse won't hold in October.

Oops. Somebody bucking the Manning! Streit! Defense! 4th line! narrative. Be prepared to get blasted.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Yeh, how on Earth isn't their first goal a hook? I mean, if you had to put together a classic example of it, you'd use a video of that play.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oops. Somebody bucking the Manning! Streit! Defense! 4th line! narrative. Be prepared to get blasted.

And surely, since you're clueless, you don't see how those things contribute to scoring less goals, right?

Because bad players have no impact on the offense at all? Of course not. Clearly the answer is to cry about the players who actually do perform.

Smart. :laugh:

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I still can't get over that nothing was called on their first goal. A Hook into a spear causing Ghost to throw the puck in front of his own net.

Don't even get me started on Milbury.

Yup. It was still a foolish decision by Ghost. He should have obviously went around the boards or just ate it up against the wall, but he was very clearly hooked and speared.

The amount of holding and interference that is being let go in games nowadays if ****ing staggering. Detroit may be the biggest perpetrator of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad