Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Well that's the thing, he WASN'T good defensively before. I was actually surprised when Steven wrote up the scouting report about him and said he was solid defensively.

His defense has improved A LOT.

I didn't pay too much attention to him in his draft year because I honestly didn't think the devils had any shot of getting him. I certainly fell out of my chair when I saw that pick.
He was pretty good defensively before the draft. The problem was his speed for his size, and his size is still a proble, because what works against juniors, could easily not against pro. He has small lever against big and strong nhl players. I hope he will figure it out, the level of talent and how he reads the game, he is very good player.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If he’s 19 and in a good shape 180 then he may end up at 190-200 pounds when he’s in pro shape.

Even if he’s 5’10” and 190, that’s not big but it’s a good enough ratio to win battles if you’re tenacious.
I think 5'10 190 is plenty thick to defend in the NHL. Like you said, it has to be a good 190 or he will end up with Reilly Walsh skating.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

Casey was drafted (on July 8 2022) at 5’10” and 173. He’s 19 years and 6 months old.

Lane Hutson was drafted at 5’8” and 158.

Despite having the most discussed growth plates in hockey, at 19 years and 5 months old Hutson is…

At the IIHF U20 Championship in December Hutson was listed as 5’9”/1.75 and 154lbs/70kg.

I doubted the IIHF numbers then, and I usually don’t, because his weight was so low (and there was so much hullabaloo over his alleged growth) but these seem realistic now as his mid-season measurements.

It’s going to be fascinating to watch this little waterbug go at it in the NHL lol.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Casey was drafted (on July 8 2022) at 5’10” and 173. He’s 19 years and 6 months old.

Despite having the most discussed growth plates in hockey, at 19 years and 5 months old Hutson is…

At the IIHF U20 Championship in December Hutson was listed as 5’9”/1.75 and 154lbs/70kg.

I doubted the IIHF numbers then, and I usually don’t, because his weight was so low (and there was so much hullabaloo over his alleged growth) but these seem realistic now as his mid-season measurements.

It’s going to be fascinating to watch this little waterbug go at it in the NHL lol.

He may be able to add ten solid pounds in the next year or so but Hutson is never going to scare anyone when he doesn't have the puck. Great talent otherwise and I think he defies the odds and makes some sort of NHL impact.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Yep. And the nincompoop Capitals chose Chesley with our earlier selection. So not only did Casey drop but he dropped to us lower than our original pick. Sort of amazing when you think about it. I know STI was big on Chesley too, but Casey is just an incredible talent.
I had Chesley higher, but also really liked Casey. Chesley will be great -- he's an ace defender with a booming shot. What I really liked about Casey was his defensive excellence despite being a smaller offense-first defenseman, a rare combo in draft-eligibles. I cited this in my write-up of Casey, which I'm sure you can still find on the HFBoards Devils threads. If not, @Guttersniped is good at digging up any kind of information.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I'm a big fan of Hutson, but I would rate Casey as the better overall prospect. Hutson is an offensive wizard, but even his bigger fans must realize this is a player whose minutes will have to be monitored -- he's just not an effective defender in the D-zone without the puck, despite an impressive compete level and a whole lot of hockey smarts. I think he'll score a ton on the Montreal PP and generate offense effectively on the Canadiens' 3rd pairing if deployed correctly. Hutson was certainly an excellent pick where the Canadiens got him -- if you're down one goal with under 5 minutes in the game, you should probably have this little offensive whiz on the ice the entire time.

Casey however is a more complete defenseman. His offensive ceiling is *technically* below Hutson, but I see him scoring more points over his NHL career because he's a kid who can be deployed in any situation. Casey's gaps and positioning are tremendous, his stick always active, and his problem-solving in the defensive zone is near-flawless. He's never going to be a dominant net-front presence or win 99% of puck battles like prime-Zeno Chara of course, but this is a kid who can very capably defend. His ability to attain the puck clearly plays up his extraordinary abilities once he has the puck.

My personal bias towards more defense-first defenders may have caused me to undervalue Casey initially in my draft rankings, but this is a kid who has clearly proved all my concerns to be foolhardy. Though my 2022 rankings had Casey just outside the 1st round, I'd now feel confident ranking him among the top 10 RD prospects outside the NHL.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I had Chesley higher, but also really liked Casey. Chesley will be great -- he's an ace defender with a booming shot. What I really liked about Casey was his defensive excellence despite being a smaller offense-first defenseman, a rare combo in draft-eligibles. I cited this in my write-up of Casey, which I'm sure you can still find on the HFBoards Devils threads. If not, @Guttersniped is good at digging up any kind of information.
You should ask @Guttersniped to fact check all your writing.

My3Sons

Sponsor
@Guttersniped is absolutely a genius and pretty much the Sherlock Holmes of the HFBoards. Our Devils threads would be lost without her.
We have the best posters. It's what keeps us coming back. I still hope to moderate the podcast someday with you and @Guadana and @Guttersniped debating the draft. It would be glorious. Guadana's malapropisms and playing Gutttersniped off when the anecdotal evidence starts piling up while you get drunker and drunker and then we take calls and my kids phone in to insult me and ask all of you why you would trust your podcast to a senile old coot. It would be glorious.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Kind of scared we'll end up losing this kid. Maybe the team tries to play him on the left side eventually.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
We have the best posters. It's what keeps us coming back. I still hope to moderate the podcast someday with you and @Guadana and @Guttersniped debating the draft. It would be glorious. Guadana's malapropisms and playing Gutttersniped off when the anecdotal evidence starts piling up while you get drunker and drunker and then we take calls and my kids phone in to insult me and ask all of you why you would trust your podcast to a senile old coot. It would be glorious.
You are both the kindest to me and the most cruel poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad