Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
RD Seamus Casey, US-NTDP (STI Ranking #47, McKenzie #51)
Seamus Casey's wildly divergent consensus rankings may have as much to do with how certain scouts and draft writers idealize defensemen as it does with his own game. I've seen him with multiple rankings in the #11-#12 range, but I've also seen him as low as #50 (Button) and also quite low on the most generally accurate of the big rankings, Bob McKenzie's scout poll (#51). He is generally up-ranked by the more "new age" stat-based rankers, who do not see his 5'10-160 frame and lack of top-speed or much physicality as an issue. Right now, it's a fair argument that he is the top two-way defenseman for the heralded US-NTDP team, but in terms of projection there are certainly problems and questions in his overall style of play which will not affect stronger and faster defenders.

The native Floridian is an excellent example of how the tool of skating is often misconstrued in the scouting process. While Casey's straight-end speed is good but not great, his edges and ability to spin on a dime while deceptively and elusively manipulating the puck with his elite stickhandling makes him extremely difficult to defend. In transition, Casey often makes the opposition look downright silly, manipulating the puck to draw them in and then making a litany of quick moves in a lightning-quick directional change to leave them in his dust. Straight end speed is not everything, and Casey's high IQ and hockey awareness see him always playing faster than he actually is.

Unlike most small defenders, Casey is not simply an offensive guy. This is what I like about him the most. Casey grades as excellent in terms of defensive awareness, positioning, gap control, and effort. His compete level is sometimes misconstrued as average because he's just so smooth and natural out there it seems as if he's not trying. But Casey is certainly a guy giving it his all, and his brain never takes a moment of any shift off. He has an active stick and active feet, and will never be a defensive liability. That being said, Casey can also be beaten one-on-one, both in open ice against faster players and in tight by more physical ones. It's the nature of the beast when you're 5'10 and lack the preternatural strength of a defenseman of similar height like Brian Rafalski or Kris Letang and no fault of Casey's, but at the higher levels you're going to have to pair him with a Carlo or Slavin-type in order for him to succeed in a top 4 capacity.

Last edited:

johnny pierogi

15 MINUTES OF FAYNE
Aug 11, 2016
Warren County
4-B1-F6-F15-1623-4-B33-A269-42-B8-E7-C54514.jpg

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
great pick. such a smart, responsible defender. needs strength and needs speed but thats all in due time. the fundamentals of this player are very much there. had him ranked as a first rounder

Reactions: My3Sons and glenwo2

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
One of the top defencemen in the United States National Team Development Program this year, Seamus Casey played big minutes for the Under-18 team. He scored 10 goals and 23 assists for 33 points in 48 games in the USHL and against various college teams. He also played a big role for Team USA at the IIHF Under-18 World Championships. Casey put up three goals and six points in six games. He helped the American squad to a silver medal.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Casey over Luneau? It hurts a bit seeing Warren go a handful of picks first.
Luneau is pretty meh for me. Don’t see much upside there. See a little more with Warren but even he isn’t someone I would’ve been overly interested in especially after we took Nemec. Wasn’t really expecting this pick either but it’s certainly a higher upside pick IMO.

Reactions: longislanddevil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad