Prospect Info: #46 Overall, RD Seamus Casey US-NTDP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
It’s a love fest! Who drugged everyone?!?

I know you all have my back since no one mentioned that I’m not the best about proofreading before posting.

People quote my posts and it often feels like my grammatical atrocities are being thrown back into my face.

Proofreading is boring tho.

Feel for you.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
i love sti and guttersniped. but my vote goes out to guadana

here my all time favorite hfboard post:

only censored topic is fly fishing.

Its really hard to remember and find the best post from 4220 posts on hfbords, but you did it!

I like hfboards overall. There is a good atmosphere and vibe. Twitter is more about "see I prove you were wrong and terrible" or "I will say something stupid to burn some vsses", Facebook and Instagram are even worse. This kind of posters just can't find a living on hfboards. May be only on rangers forum or in Michkov's thread. And I'm not a visitor on the main/general forum, so I don't know nothing about how the things are going there.

Despite a very poor 2023 draft, Montreal has a top 10 prospect pool in the NHL right now, maybe top 5 if we're still considering Guhle a prospect. If not, I'd rank it:

1 Slafkovsky
2 Reinbacher
3 Beck
4 Mesar
5 Hutson
6 Farrell
7 Kapanen
8 Roy
9 Kidney
10 Mailloux

That's really impressive. Slafkovsky and Reinbacher are both top 20 prospects to me, and I'd rank the entire top 5 in my top 50. Their top 8 are probably all in my top 100. There's a bit of a drop-off in depth, but I think they have a couple other kids with big potential who could still hit, like Rohrer and Mysak.

I like Reinbacher, but top 20? Interesting take for you. You changed/fixed your rank philosophy?

It’s not surprising some MTL fans would be over exuberant about him. They don’t have much going for the team right now. A couple of good players and some developing defenders but the team seems to be a ways away from competing and even then it’s not likely that Suzuki is the number one center when they are competitive. Hutson is exciting and it’s the hope they are looking for not so much that they really believe it.

I'm always on defensive side, but I think they could easily draft their next top pairing D on the next draft where there are a lot of good defensemen and it doesn't look like they will be competitive next season. And this year they could draft generational player and put their team on the new level. Or at least draft Leonard to help with center depth - Leonard-Suzuki could be great duo. And yes, I think Leonard has reeal potential to play center in NHL.
I still think Reinbacher is a great player to add, there are no better options to draft than 1st-3rd defenseman who will eat a lot of minutes. Only your potential first line center or 1b center. Or freaking one of the best prospects in 21st century. But im happy with how it goes. Always liked Gauthier, their first line will be fun.

Last edited:

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Look, I've been a big booster and supporter of Lane Hutson since his draft eligible season began. But when I see him on lists of the top 10 or 15 prospects outside the NHL overall? I mean, we need to be realistic.

The kid is a special offensive talent, there's no doubt about it. His abilities with the puck are elite level. But for a slight-framed defender under 5'10 who has never particularly excelled on the defensive side of the puck -- well, it's a bit of a stretch to assume he's ever going to be an average defensive presence, much less an above-average one. And although I'd categorize his skating as excellent -- his edges and shiftiness are absolutely outstanding -- he still lacks the elite straightaway speed to compensate for some of his physical limitations and offensive chance-taking. We're not talking a Scott Niedermeyer who can rush the O zone, lose the puck, and still be able to beat a forward who has 5 steps on him back into the defensive zone.

So, ultimately I think what we'll have in Hutson is a offensive generator who will kill it on the PP, but whose minutes will need to be managed at 5x5 -- essentially, not an all-situations first-pairing sort, but still a benefit to his team. I think he'll beat the odds and be an effective offensive D in the NHL despite being probably the smallest D in the NHL.

But to think Hutson will be a superstar #1 defender is a bit of a stretch. With a one-goal lead late in a game, when coaches shorten their benches Hutson likely won't be seeing much ice. So, he's just not ultimately going to be able to achieve the same amount of overall impact as a Mintyukov or Mateychuk in my opinion.

I'd certainly list Hutson in my top 50 prospects outside the NHL, and he was a great pick for where the Canadiens landed him (#62 overall). But the idea we can judge a defenseman's NHL potential simply by the amount of points they accrue in amateur hockey is patently ridiculous. When I've seen Montreal fans say Hutson is better than Luke Hughes? Well, it's borderline absurd -- Hughes matches or eclipses Hutson in literally every offensive tool (I'd say they're equal across the board except shooting, where Hughes is markedly superior), he's a significantly better skater, and his size and strength give him far more defensive potential because, let's face it, Hutson just doesn't have the ability to ever be much of a factor in terms of net front presence or puck battles down low.

In the end, I'm rooting hard for Lane Hutson. I'd repeat with confidence that I think he'll beat the odds and have some 50+ point seasons at the NHL level. I think he'll be a better version of Shayne Gostisbehere or Tony DeAngelo, because he has equivalent offensive ability and is even smarter and more competitive both with and without the puck.
you ignore that late growth spurts is a thing in his family

;)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
By the way, I’m super excited about this prospect since I traded up from 39 to 28 to draft him over Hutson.

Also I walked right by him when he was leaving day 2 in Montreal, he was wearing a NJD jersey and had nobody with him. Thought that was odd.

What’s this talk about him playing C? Is this for real or just nonsense.

He probably doesn’t ever end up playing center but he might be able to. He said in an interview he made it a point to know how to play every position and last year Michigan was really short on guys so they threw Casey in the middle for a game. He had 2 goals and an assist

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
By the way, I’m super excited about this prospect since I traded up from 39 to 28 to draft him over Hutson.

Also I walked right by him when he was leaving day 2 in Montreal, he was wearing a NJD jersey and had nobody with him. Thought that was odd.

What’s this talk about him playing C? Is this for real or just nonsense.
it was an exhibition game against the USNTDP and they were very short on forwards. But as @Hisch13r said, Casey gave an interview answer where he said he makes it a point to learn the responsibilities of every player on the ice, not just his own.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Despite a very poor 2023 draft, Montreal has a top 10 prospect pool in the NHL right now, maybe top 5 if we're still considering Guhle a prospect. If not, I'd rank it:

1 Slafkovsky
2 Reinbacher
3 Beck
4 Mesar
5 Hutson
6 Farrell
7 Kapanen
8 Roy
9 Kidney
10 Mailloux

That's really impressive. Slafkovsky and Reinbacher are both top 20 prospects to me, and I'd rank the entire top 5 in my top 50. Their top 8 are probably all in my top 100. There's a bit of a drop-off in depth, but I think they have a couple other kids with big potential who could still hit, like Rohrer and Mysak.
once again Steven and the Habs board have a difference in opinion.:D

From their prospect ranking.

1. Lane Hutson, 50.8% (+7)
2. David Reinbacher, 84.8% (NA)
3. Logan Mailloux, 37.2% (+4)
4. Joshua Roy, 37.7% (+1)
5. Adam Engstrom, 42.8% (+21)
6. Owen Beck, 72.2% (+4)
7. Emil Heineman, 40.7% (+6)
8. Sean Farrell, 65.6% (-5)
9. Filip Mesar, 54.5% (-3)
10. Jakub Dobes, 29.5% (+4)
11. Jacob Fowler, 42.1% (NA)

Slaf has graduated so he's not in the poll.

Reactions: My3Sons

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
i love sti and guttersniped. but my vote goes out to guadana

here my all time favorite hfboard post:

only censored topic is fly fishing.

I get a kick out of the fly fishing stuff, but one thing that’s the written form of white noise for me is any discussion of watches, which is something that breaks out on the board every once and while.

Not complaining that fellas like to discuss their watches, have fun! while I skip it, but imagine dropping into a group of women discussing their high end purses. It feels like that for me.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

6. Owen Beck, 72.2% (+4)

Good lord, 1) some of them did not like Reinbacher pick I guess and 2) thinking Hutson is Cale Makar is going to lead to disappointment.

Last edited:

forceten

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Good lord, 1) some of them did not like Reinbacher pick I guess and 2) thinking Hutson is Kale Makar is going to lead to disappointment.
1689436909388.png

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg

6. Owen Beck, 72.2% (+4)

Hutson over Reinbacher? My sweet splitheads.

Guttersniped

Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Hutson over Reinbacher? My sweet splitheads.

I’m legit fascinated by this thread:

Question is : with everything we know now, if both Hutson and Reinbacher were draft eligible now, who would get drafted first? I believe Hutson would, mostly because there's more certainty about his game. So being closer to the NHL does count, or else this poll would be titled : which prospect has the higher ceiling? And Avtsin and Reway would have been 1st a few times in the past.

These examples lol
Alexander Avtsin (2009 Rd 4 #109)
Martin Réway (2014 Rd 4 #116)

I’m rooting for Lane, and I’m very curious to see how he does, but the segment of Habs fans who claim he would retroactively be a top pick now is wild to me.

Big toolsy all-purpose defensemen are in vogue guys, your team just took one.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
Right now Lane's best case scenario is what? A bottom pairing dman that gets into the lineup for his PP skills? Basically Tony DeAngelo / Gostisbehere? He has to prove he's not a complete liability in even strength also to even get into the NHL.

I think a lot of what's going on is just this upcoming generation, that trained from age 5 with these newish sticks to make it to the NHL, where million dollars were on the line are just another level. The shooting ability of the prospects in this draft was particularly absurd to me and I think the composite sticks are a huge reason why.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Right now Lane's best case scenario is what? A bottom pairing dman that gets into the lineup for his PP skills? Basically Tony DeAngelo / Gostisbehere? He has to prove he's not a complete liability in even strength also to even get into the NHL.

I think a lot of what's going on is just this upcoming generation, that trained from age 5 with these newish sticks to make it to the NHL, where million dollars were on the line are just another level. The shooting ability of the prospects in this draft was particularly absurd to me and I think the composite sticks are a huge reason why.

That’s definitely not a best case. A best case for Hutson is he’s so good offensively that him being lackluster defensively isn’t that big of an issue. The best case is he’s the 1LD who can be babysat a bit by Reinbacher. The best case is probably like Quinn (although I think Quinn was actually pretty good defensively this year)

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
I’m legit fascinated by this thread:

These examples lol
Alexander Avtsin (2009 Rd 4 #109)
Martin Réway (2014 Rd 4 #116)

I’m rooting for Lane, and I’m very curious to see how he does, but the segment of Habs fans who claim he would retroactively be a top pick now is wild to me.

Big toolsy all-purpose defensemen are in vogue guys, your team just took one.
A lot of crazy stuff. First of all I wasn't a fan of mtl fan culture before, im not a fan now too. Things started from what I saw in media when they traded Subban.
And I would say it push me to root for Lane, because with this level of expectations I can't imagine how fans will push on him. Girard level of output should be great, but its not Makar level.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I get a kick out of the fly fishing stuff, but one thing that’s the written form of white noise for me is any discussion of watches, which is something that breaks out on the board every once and while.

Not complaining that fellas like to discuss their watches, have fun! while I skip it, but imagine dropping into a group of women discussing their high end purses. It feels like that for me.
My mother in law had several Chanel purses. She made thr mistake of leaving them in thr attic for years. Eventually she gave them to my wife and she gave one to my sister in law and our niece. They need repair and we went to the Chanel store in Paris but it turns out the purses can only be sent in to Chanel for repair.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Jan 24, 2007
That’s definitely not a best case. A best case for Hutson is he’s so good offensively that him being lackluster defensively isn’t that big of an issue. The best case is he’s the 1LD who can be babysat a bit by Reinbacher. The best case is probably like Quinn (although I think Quinn was actually pretty good defensively this year)
If there's a reasonable chance he can be as good as Quinn Hughes then I don't think it's outrageous to say he's ahead of Reinbacher. At the very least it's a conversation. I'm choosing weasel words like "reasonable" and "best case" but Quinn Hughes is great, and Montreal would be lucky to have Reinbacher or Hutson turn out to be as impactful as Quinn Hughes.

In any case I hope Seamus takes a huge jump next year out of Luke Hughes's shadow, maybe plays some forward again. If the league is heading towards positionless offensive zone scheming that would suit Seamus perfectly potentially.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I was in on it too, but I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves with this idea that Casey could play fwd.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
If there's a reasonable chance he can be as good as Quinn Hughes then I don't think it's outrageous to say he's ahead of Reinbacher. At the very least it's a conversation. I'm choosing weasel words like "reasonable" and "best case" but Quinn Hughes is great, and Montreal would be lucky to have Reinbacher or Hutson turn out to be as impactful as Quinn Hughes.

In any case I hope Seamus takes a huge jump next year out of Luke Hughes's shadow, maybe plays some forward again. If the league is heading towards positionless offensive zone scheming that would suit Seamus perfectly potentially.
I’ll suggest that admitting you can’t see the future and have imperfect information doesn’t make them weasel words. You are just acknowledging reality.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site

one piece composite sticks have been available for more than 20 years now. There’s no difference in terms of stick between guys drafted this year and guys drafted in 2012. I wouldn’t be surprised if shooting technique has improved, along with broader access to ice rinks leading to a bigger pool of potential players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad