Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't think that's a good move at all. If Landeskog is back next year you've also got the DT deal kicking in. It's gonna be a lot harder. The time to make the move is now. Actually the time to make the move was back in November, but nothing can happen quickly with this leadership.

Can we go back in time and wake cMac up 6-24 months ago? Dude is out of runway and it's completely his own fault.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
While I'm certainly happy that Annunen has posted B2B shutouts, I would hardly say that he, or Prosvetov, has made it impossible for Colorado to seek an experienced backup for Georgiev.

I will say that I liked Annunen's game last night, Chicago had both more SOG's, and it also seemed like there were more high danger chances that he stopped. It was nice to see. But it was still against a shitty Chicago team.

As SEPH already pointed out, once enough scouting tape is out on him, the holes will likely return. You just have to get him moving side-to-side and he breaks down. That's what we've seen from him before. I hope to god I'm wrong and that he's cleaning that up with practice and with Jussi, but his weaknesses, to date, haven't changed.
Agreed, but backup goalie should be on the lower end of priorities at this point. The team is attached to George. If he sucks or gets hurt we probably aren't winning much anyways.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Next you'll be telling me Nieto has some connection to Long Beach!
dumb-and-dumber-no-way.gif

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I don't think we can afford to waste assets on a goalie at this point unless we are someone getting an upgrade on Fourgiev. Annune and Prost have shown enough good work lately it is worth the risk. 2C is the need that needs to be focused on if it can even be addressed at this point.
I think that Annunen can still be sent down to the AHL without needing waivers so if the Avs can snag a vet and fit him in under the salary cap, they should probably do it but for a mid-round pick.

I see that as a deadline day deal where if it happens great but if not, you've got 2 guys to rely on. I think they are better options than we had than with the hamburglar.

To me it just feels that if it's all going to come together, we're going to have back-to-back trades. One that fills the #2C slot and probably the other that fills the D slot that was just vacated by the first trade.

Don't think you want to put yourself out there that you've made a #2C trade but now have an immense need at D and allow yourself to be gouged. Conversely, if you do the opposite you also don't want to be in the surplus ha-ha too bad for you situation.

C-Nap & Joe have proved to be extremely stuck in their ways when it comes to making trades. It seems like they are almost always looking to 'win' the trade at all costs rather than maybe more importantly sometimes - just getting it done. If your pro scouts are telling you - go get Mittelstadt, then get it done.

You don't want to see him go elsewhere and then you're left haggling over Kerfoot all because you didn't want to hand over an extra 3rd round pick so you can pick Garrett Meurs' little brother two years from now.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I just don't understand why people are saying Hendrique is not enough. Henrique is a big improvement. Is he enough to beat the Panthers? Probably not but at least we have a chance if we are healthy and maybe the other team has injuries. We would need to stay relatively healthy though but I think with Nuke coming back and Kovy hopefully providing some good depth we can beat any team in the West. And then there is Landy that is still a complete wild card. What if we don't do Henrique because "he doesn't move the needle", we stay very healthy, Landy comes back pretty strong AND Kovy helps a lot more than we anticipate? Then we would have wasted a year for sure because if all those things go right we can't win with Ryjo in the lineup.

Hendrique is certainly not my first choice. Mitts would be. Zegras second. But I would take Hendrique in a heartbeat if nothing else better is available.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
If it's not Mittelstadt/Zegras, just hold on to the assets and accept that cMac f***ed the team for a second year in a row. Nothing else out there is going to move the needle in helping them win, they'd just be blowing limited assets for nothing.

Regroup in the summer and they've got one year left to do the thing assuming they actually wise up and get a 2C.

cMac should be fired before the season over.
d9713772-6949-4753-9045-7839d6167bb5_text.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I fully agree with this. Trying fix the huge problem that CMac created with a small little bandaid like Henrique or Wennberg is simply asset wasting. You'll lose round 1 with either of those guys as the 2C so why bother, because you'll get the same result with Colton or RyJo as 2C.

CMac absolutely should be canned after another round 1 loss. That will be 2 contention years thrown out the window because he refuses to address the elephant in the room.
We just beat Dallas pretty easily without Val AND our 3rd line as 2nd line.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I just don't understand why people are saying Hendrique is not enough. Henrique is a big improvement. Is he enough to beat the Panthers? Probably not but at least we have a chance if we are healthy and maybe the other team has injuries. We would need to stay relatively healthy though but I think with Nuke coming back and Kovy hopefully providing some good depth we can beat any team in the West. And then there is Landy that is still a complete wild card. What if we don't do Henrique because "he doesn't move the needle", we stay very healthy, Landy comes back pretty strong AND Kovy helps a lot more than we anticipate? Then we would have wasted a year for sure because if all those things go right we can't win with Ryjo in the lineup.

Hendrique is certainly not my first choice. Mitts would be. Zegras second. But I would take Hendrique in a heartbeat if nothing else better is available.

Colorado's third line sucked when they won the cup. In the post-season the line started out as Burakovsky-Compher-NAK, but with injuries to Burakovky and Kadri, the line morphed into Newhook(12gp)-Sturm(13gp)-NAK(14gp) for a stretch.

That is truly horrendous; those three combined for zero goals and 6 assists in the playoffs.

The point is, I wholeheartedly agree. Not even the 16-4 Avs were perfect, and Henrique is a very reasonable option given the situation Colorado is in. He's on pace for 57 points on the 5th lowest scoring team in the NHL. He would be a substantial upgrade on Johansen.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
We just beat Dallas pretty easily without Val AND our 3rd line as 2nd line.
That's not really a fair look at Dallas. They were on the 2nd night of a back to back where they had to travel we were rested at home, where we play well.

Dallas is much better than they showed that night. All they really need is Otter to get hot like he was in that Calgary series and we'd have no chance.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
While we're adding Wennberg and a bottom pairing D, Vegas will be adding Guentzel and another top 6er.

This is the part I envy.

Vegas will explore every loophole, rid themselves of every prospect and pick, whatever it takes to give them the best chance to win every single year.

It also helps that they've quickly become arguably the most desirable spot for every player in the league. They can treat players like absolute shit, but the next guy available will salivate at playing in Vegas.

Fans can say it's shortsighted, but the guys in the room appreciate it. Your management will give you the best possible chance to win a(nother) Stanley Cup.

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
If Stone doesn’t come back in the playoffs, doesn’t matter who Vegas gets, that would be a big loss for them. Same as Avs losing Landy

Bender

Sep 25, 2002

HFAmnesia strikes again!!

The reason for this is because of the Brassard trade, bringing back Soderberg and watching JT2C do fly-bys in last year's playoffs. These are half-measures that people don't want to see...they'd much rather see the Avs pay a little more, even a lot more to solve the issue for real.

It's been proven that with this core, you need to have a guy who can drive offense on the 2nd line for this team to be successful in the playoffs. Match-ups wise, it's too easy for other teams to shut down a 1-line team especially when the Avs are on the road.

I don't mind Henrique, I think he's a good player but I don't think he's got the wheels to play #2C on the Avs. That's the one thing that we've seen that is probably an absolute must for that position.

Avs are off tonight, Sabers are off tonight, Flyers are off tonight. Just saying.
Yeah this feels like a good day to get shit done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad