Rumor: 23-24 Trade Rumors and Free Agency Part Trois: The Road to the Deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
I mean that team could get away with it because of having a 90pt 2C, a 65pt winger on the 3rd line and the 4th line was way better than this one currently. Plus JTC for all the shit he gets still can fill in on a 2nd line for a short stint.

This roster doesn’t have a 2C, has a solid 3rd line( but Colton doesn’t quite have the talent to fill in on the 2nd line), a legit boat anchor in RyJo and a not that great 4th line.

Henrique would honestly be a great addition on the wing, I just don’t think he has cup contention ability in the top 6 at C anymore and that Avs desperately need that. I think it’s been shown time and time again half measures at C do not work here.

That's definitely true and why Colorado ultimately won, but don't forget those two dealt with injuries, and Burakovsky himself was a healthy scratch in Game 4 against St. Louis.

My thinking is the Avalanche's roaring 20's line is a really good third line (at least when they're not overworked), and a fourth line of Cogliano-X-Parise has potential. If Colorado can find someone serviceable in the 2C hole, they might be able to pull off another championship.

I might be delusional there. For all I know, the cup window has already closed. But nevertheless, in a sea of middling options, I think Henrique is very reasonable. His 42 points ranks 49th amongst centers, but that is a flawed ranking because NHL.com includes players like Coleman, Kyrou, and Nyquist as centers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
That's definitely true and why Colorado ultimately won, but don't forget those two dealt with injuries, and Burakovsky himself was a healthy scratch in Game 4 against St. Louis.

My thinking is the Avalanche's roaring 20's line is a really good third line (at least when they're not overworked), and a fourth line of Cogliano-X-Parise has potential. If Colorado can find someone serviceable in the 2C hole, they might be able to pull off another championship.

I might be delusional there. For all I know, the cup window has already closed. But nevertheless, in a sea of middling options, I think Henrique is very reasonable. His 42 points ranks 49th amongst centers, but that is a flawed ranking because NHL.com includes players like Coleman, Kyrou, and Nyquist as centers.
You can add Henrique to that last sentence too.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
I've noticed that it's been, I dunno, 30 pages since anyone has mentioned Boone Jenner. Did Columbus decide his mentoring abilities mean that he's immovable?

Reactions: Alienblood

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Is there an Egyptian hieroglyph version of "Henrique isn't really a center anymore" that will make people understand??

1709659481670.png

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Outside of 21-22, the Avs have not been an aggressive front office since 2011... arguably 2007. IMO the reason they went aggressive in 21-22 is they saw the writing on the wall with contracts and the window. If they lost that year, they'd have been potentially looking at a Winnipeg situation where you wait yourselves out of a chance. So they took a bunch of risks and sold a lot to ensure they gave the team a good chance.
Given that they saw the urgency that season and actually went for it...is it possible that the lack of urgency we've seen since indicates that they're quite comfortable, particularly from a financial and season-ticket holder perspective, being a good-but-not-great team for the foreseeable future? As in, they'd rather be a good and consistent playoff team for the next ~5 seasons with an annual outside shot at the cup and guaranteed 1-2 playoff rounds rather than go all-in for another cup in the next 1-2 seasons and potentially see the bottom fall-out shortly after?

I certainly hope that's not the case -- the cup is all that ought to matter -- but if this deadline they fail to be highly aggressive as they were in 2022 I have to think that they're consciously settling for good-but-not-great...

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site

I agree with you. Despite all my pessimism, I actually don't think the Avs are that far off of being a true cup threat. I do think that they will actually need a goalie to play at least playoff-team average, which is the big difference from the 2022 team.

I think if they can get a smart, two-way C for that 2C position, and if Landy comes back relatively healthy and can play a meaningful role those are going to be massive additions. I actually think the 3rd and 4th lines may be better off than the cup winning team in terms of being playoff ready.

If they actually got Dowd to play between Cogs and Parise I think that 4th line suddenly becomes one where the mix of vet savvy and general playstyle can be a big addition for a playoff team. I think the 3rd line plays much more cohesively as a playoff type line than the mixed bag of players that were maybe more talented, but less cohesive.

Things will definitely need to come together in terms of guys playing up to their potential, but I also don't think the team is THAT far off.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

And my post isn’t to say we need a roster as good as 22 to win a cup, we don’t. But this team can’t do half measures at C with the rest of the roster lacking compared to the cup winning team.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He has a raptured spleen. I think it was Friedman who said a doctor told him people shouldn’t be naive thinking that’s not a serious injury
It's Mark Stone. This will be his career moving forward. Play a bit pre-February, suffer an injury that keeps him on LTIR until playoffs, Vegas adds using his 9.5M, Stone returns for the 1st round. Rinse and repeat.

They're not fooling anyone.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
It's Mark Stone. This will be his career moving forward. Play a bit pre-February, suffer an injury that keeps him on LTIR until playoffs, Vegas adds using his 9.5M, Stone returns for the 1st round. Rinse and repeat.

They're not fooling anyone.
If Landeskog comes back, looks halfway decent, and insists on continuing his career someone really needs to get him in on this shtick...just a serious but not too serious knee rehab every February...

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Given that they saw the urgency that season and actually went for it...is it possible that the lack of urgency we've seen since indicates that they're quite comfortable, particularly from a financial and season-ticket holder perspective, being a good-but-not-great team for the foreseeable future? As in, they'd rather be a good and consistent playoff team for the next ~5 seasons with an annual outside shot at the cup and guaranteed 1-2 playoff rounds rather than go all-in for another cup in the next 1-2 seasons and potentially see the bottom fall-out shortly after?

I certainly hope that's not the case -- the cup is all that ought to matter -- but if this deadline they fail to be highly aggressive as they were in 2022 I have to think that they're consciously settling for good-but-not-great...

They have stated a few times they want to be good for as long as possible, and I take them at their word on that... alongside that, their actions indicate as such. As a fan, I am fundamentally biased in thinking they should put the best team forward as much as they can while they can. I don't have to pay the bills for those consequences though. Well over half the NHL (likely including the Avs) are to some extent budget teams. Meaning if they don't consistently succeed revenue wise, the budget will decrease. It may not be directly related to cap... could be buyouts, off the ice facilities, travel cutbacks, etc. We know the last time the Avs went through a major rebuild, the belt got tightened. There is a good chance they want to avoid that and would rather be a good, but short of elite team for 7-8 years vs being an elite team for 2-4 years, good for another 1-2 then bad for 5-6 (at least.

All teams are different in this regard and very few have blank checks. Winnipeg wrestled with this for years, and they clearly don't have the base to survive a full rebuild. Columbus has been similar. Honestly, even Chicago was a team that got pretty close to some major issues before turning the corner after the lockout.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Is there an Egyptian hieroglyph version of "Henrique isn't really a center anymore" that will make people understand??

View attachment 829758

You can posit the opinion that Henrique would be better suited at W and you'd probably be right.

But for better or for worse, Henrique is playing center right now and has for most of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad