2025 NHL Draft: Lose a ton for Porter Martone

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'd rather just draft BPA, even if its Hagens than get overly cute. One year of decent production from Smith and/or Celebrini doesn't guarantee they will be elite. No guarantee with Hagens either, but I'd rather improve our odds.

And if all 3 look to be elite players? Then we can trade one for a better targeted return I feel. A team with a decent defense corp may be willing to trade their stud defensive prospect for a Will Smith who looks like he could be an elite C.
Issue is that you get more in a haul trading the 1st overall pick than you do trading the young center drafted in the top 5. You take on more risk for sure as well with getting a younger more "prospect" D-Man rather than the proven 24 year old, but teams will value the aura of the 1st overall pick and bump that comes with it (plus cap space of a 3 year ELC) more than the guy that's already good but about to get paid and not come with the marketing and season ticket boom that a 1st overall pick does.

Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Technically we didn't win the lottery, just no one else won so we got 1st by default. as much of a "well actually" nerd take this is, it matters w/r/t winning 1st after finishing not-32nd
Well akshually they technically drew SJ's number once, meaning we won the lottery and kept our spot. We then had our number drawn three more times, only on the fourth did they draw CHI, meaning they kept their spot and set the rest of the draft order as expected.

What we did not do, is move up in the draft lottery.

Reactions: Cas

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Toronto failed because GM Boy Genius made a bunch of stupid trades and signings, not because they drafted too many elite forwards.

On that note, this kid definitely has that 1st overall pick it factor. He's like an unholy combo of MacKinnon and Filip Forsberg.

It's a good thing Barabanov is out, so #94 is free for Martone. Can't draft Hagens cause Givani Smith already wears #54!

StanleyCup2035

Oct 1, 2017
Hagens wears 10.

I thought Celebrini would wear 17.
I saw #54 in this image, didn't realize he switched to #10:

#10 is even worse. Kostin wears it, and if he going to be re-signed after a good year he'll keep the number. No way that midget 5'10 Hagens will fight the mighty 6'4 Kostin for the number. I kid, I kid.

Just love the fact we'll get another future star in 2025 Draft. Hagens would be insane. Mortone is a wonderful "consolation" prize

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I saw #54 in this image, didn't realize he switched to #10:

#10 is even worse. Kostin wears it, and if he going to be re-signed after a good year he'll keep the number. No way that midget 5'10 Hagens will fight the mighty 6'4 Kostin for the number. I kid, I kid.

Just love the fact we'll get another future star in 2025 Draft. Hagens would be insane. Mortone is a wonderful "consolation" prize
Maybe he'll flip them around and go with 01

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Well akshually they technically drew SJ's number once, meaning we won the lottery and kept our spot. We then had our number drawn three more times, only on the fourth did they draw CHI, meaning they kept their spot and set the rest of the draft order as expected.

What we did not do, is move up in the draft lottery.

It was the one time the whole year where the Sharks played exceptional defense.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Full sendin' it into the future!

Musty-Celebrini-Smith
Bystedt-Frondell-Eklund
Chernyshov-Edstrom-Halttunen
Wetsch-Graf-Cardwell

Dickinson-Pohlkamp
Mukhamadullin-Cagnoni
Thrun-Roberts

Ravensbergen
Chrona
Obviously assuming this is a bit, but I wonder how many homegrown players that folks here actually expect to be around on the roster when we next make the playoffs (will give anyone that was acquired before having ever played an NHL game a homegrown label for this exercise - thus including non-SJ draftees like Thrun and Muk).

Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Chernyshov, Bystedt, Musty, and Edstrom up front and Muk, Thrun, and Dickinson on the backend would be 10. Out of playoff teams last year, they averaged around 7.75 players that were homegrown. The Rangers had the most at 11 while Winnipeg was the only other one I believe in double digits.

Likely best case scenario, we get to around 10-12 hits out of a span of basically 6 draft classes from 2021-2026 that are good enough to comprise parts of our next playoff team in hopefully 2027 or 2028. Would say as of now, the group listed there plus 2025 early 1st rounder and 2026 early 1st rounder comprise the group that make that team in most likely 2028.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It is wild to the the Sharks could have a completely homegrown top 9 in the future.

4 Locks
Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Martone (top 5)

3 Highly likely
Edstrom, Bystedt, Musty

2 likely
Chernyshov, Halttunen

This also doesn’t include long shots like Lund or Graf

Even if the Sharks get only 7 homegrown top 9 players that is huge for a team.

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Full sendin' it into the future!

Musty-Celebrini-Smith
Bystedt-Frondell-Eklund
Wetsch-Graf-Cardwell

Dickinson-Pohlkamp
Mukhamadullin-Cagnoni
Thrun-Roberts

Ravensbergen
Chrona

I liked it, this would be my team:

Musty-Celebrini-Eklund
Bystedt-Hagens-Smith
Wetsch-Graf-Cardwell

Dickinson-Pohlkamp
Mukhamadullin-Cagnoni
Thrun-Roberts

Ravensbergen
Chrona

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
It is wild to the the Sharks could have a completely homegrown top 9 in the future.

4 Locks
Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, Martone (top 5)

3 Highly likely
Edstrom, Bystedt, Musty

2 likely
Chernyshov, Halttunen

This also doesn’t include long shots like Lund or Graf

Even if the Sharks get only 7 homegrown top 9 players that is huge for a team.
Sorry, but how are both Edstrom and Bystedt highly likely to be top-9 players? If one of them is likely to be a 3C with the other maybe as a 3rd line winger vs the 4C, that's a big win. Haltunnen is also not even "likely" to make the NHL let alone be a top-9 contributor unless he rounds out his game instead just being big and having a good shot. I get that we are all homers with Sharks prospects but come on lol

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Sorry, but how are both Edstrom and Bystedt highly likely to be top-9 players? If one of them is likely to be a 3C with the other maybe as a 3rd line winger vs the 4C, that's a big win. Haltunnen is also not even "likely" to make the NHL let alone be a top-9 contributor unless he rounds out his game instead just being big and having a good shot. I get that we are all homers with Sharks prospects but come on lol
You mean we aren’t going to be the first team in nhl history to draft our entire team and win a Cup?

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
You mean we aren’t going to be the first team in nhl history to draft our entire team and win a Cup?
It's funny because intellectually I know it's not going to work out that way (I mean, just look at our defense prospects!), but basically I refuse to not have hope for any of our--what, now, top 10 or more?!--prospects making it and being contributors for the Sharks. I'll just sit here and keep believing, while not being overly-hopeful, until it feels like the ship has sailed.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
It's funny because intellectually I know it's not going to work out that way (I mean, just look at our defense prospects!), but basically I refuse to not have hope for any of our--what, now, top 10 or more?!--prospects making it and being contributors for the Sharks. I'll just sit here and keep believing, while not being overly-hopeful, until it feels like the ship has sailed.
You don't win every time with pocket aces, but that doesn't mean you complain when you keep getting dealt them. Sharks have the best prospect pool they've ever had because they prioritized acquiring picks over dumping them to chase after overpaid and overrated vets. It'll take a while for that to pay off, but I bet in five years time, they'll be writing articles about the guys from this group who make it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad