Rumor: Rumors & Proposals Thread | Does Bowman Make His Mark on the Team Before Training Camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
A sports hernia isn't an actual hernia though, it's just a confusing name for a soft tissue injury in the groin. Could be severe could be minor. Considering how bad things were at the end and for how long he's had issues with it you'd think it would need some sort of intervention.
Dumbass me-lol. I’m curious what the team docs are saying. You’d think if surgery was needed, it’d have been a few weeks ago.

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Not happy with the pick but it’s who JJ decided to hire. So, moving on…

Who are we trading for Saad? Because, you know, 4th time is the charm, right?

• Haha
Reactions: oobga and Duke74

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Deleted - I’ll move to the OT thread

Attachments

• 1721971626435.png
    1721971626435.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 1

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
Drai signing is already "done". He agreed to it a while ago. Like Bob said. It will come out soon.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Dumbass me-lol. I’m curious what the team docs are saying. You’d think if surgery was needed, it’d have been a few weeks ago.
Players often avoid surgery if there is a chance to heal on its own. I don't know that the team is overly worried either as the longer he waits the better chance of using some LTIR and avoiding having to dump another contract.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I wonder if a Draisaitl extension was already agreed to and they wanted to wait until after the Bowman announcement to confirm it to calm the waters with the fanbase after the initial shitstorm from the Bowman announcement. Wouldn't surprise if me if JJ strategically did this.

Drai signing is already "done". He agreed to it a while ago. Like Bob said. It will come out soon.

I hope you are right but all I see is how hiring Bowman could piss off McDrai. There have been rumors of how McDavids camp likes to have their say and while Drai may not care we just don't know.

And I am not just talking the PR nightmare stuff. Who wants a GM that took his team from best to worst. It is such a bad hockey hire I would be surprised if McDrai were not upset by it.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
I wonder if a Draisaitl extension was already agreed to and they wanted to wait until after the Bowman announcement to confirm it to calm the waters with the fanbase after the initial shitstorm from the Bowman announcement. Wouldn't surprise if me if JJ strategically did this.
This would be a smart business decision.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I hope you are right but all I see is how hiring Bowman could piss off McDrai. There have been rumors of how McDavids camp likes to have their say and while Drai may not care we just don't know.

And I am not just talking the PR nightmare stuff. Who wants a GM that took his team from best to worst. It is such a bad hockey hire I would be surprised if McDrai were not upset by it.
Another way of looking at this is how they view the hiring a GM who oversaw a decade of his Original Six franchise's most successful run including winning three Stanley Cups. In the Cap era. McDavid and Draisaitl have repeatedly identified winning over personal stats and recognition. It is equally or more likely that they buy-into the hire and most importantly Jackson's vision for building a best-in-class organization and direction as an active CEO with strong management team support around him with his hires, Knoblauch, Bowman, Pracey, Larsson, a support function guy in Parkatti. Lots of fresh thinkers and results being added to pursue winning the team trophy that McDavid, Draisaitl and every NHL player aspires to win.

Think it's pretty clear a Draisaitl extension will be the next big announcement to follow. Smart pr to follow a tough business decision with good news. And alleviate misplaced fears and outside wishful fan thinking that Edmonton can't retain its cornerstone super stars.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
Sign Laine to a league minimum 1 year deal now that he is cleared to return? Begin training once his shoulder is healed from surgery...

Oilers88

Jun 19, 2011
Drai has probably already agreed to terms with JJ and the release is going to make Bowman look like a genius after doing nothing. JJ has already shown sneaky media strategies like this, ala holding the press conference during a media golf tourney.
I also doubt they'd sign anything before the McWedding. Jackson and Drai are both in attendance this weekend- next week is the earliest I would expect any news of a Draisaitl extension.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Sign Laine to a league minimum 1 year deal now that he is cleared to return? Begin training once his shoulder is healed from surgery...

I believe they have said that he has trade interest so I think we would have to compete for him. If he comes cheap... why not? Nice reclamation project.

Think I rather focus on finding some defence tho

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
He’s currently under contract for 2 more years at 8.7 per with Columbus.
Looks like I misunderstood Elliotte's tweet. It sounded like teams were free to contact him - meaning he was not under contract.

I believe they have said that he has trade interest so I think we would have to compete for him. If he comes cheap... why not? Nice reclamation project.

Think I rather focus on finding some defence tho
Would be a good reclamation on the cheap, but defense is certainly a priority.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay

Jackson is McDavids camp, that’s the whole reason that he took the position leading the Oilers. I think it’s highly unlikely that the team leadership core wasn’t aware of the hire before hand and if they objected then Bowman probably wouldn’t be here.

It’s all speculation but here are two things we know for fact about McDavid. One, he trust Jeff Jackson explicitly and two, when it comes to hockey, winning is the most important thing to him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
If we LTIR Kane and move Ceci, we can. Probably not the best idea. That Nurse deal is hurting us in so many ways.
I think you have to give him one or two years at a low salary and buy yourself some time. Anything else is far too risky.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Looks like I misunderstood Elliotte's tweet. It sounded like teams were free to contact him - meaning he was not under contract.

Would be a good reclamation on the cheap, but defense is certainly a priority.
So about a week or two ago it came out that teams were interested in Laine and wanted to talk to him before acquiring him.

Waddell had no issue with this, but as per CBA you can't have discussions with a player while he is in the assistance program. Not the current team or an interested teams.

But he's been cleared to return so now Waddell can give those teams permission to speak to him and see if there is a fit.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It would be great to get both signed for three years to get them past the McDavid extension. But what does a long term deal for Broberg look like though? The cap situation in 2025-26 sort of limits the amount you can give him. And any limit on the amount significantly impacts the term.

Even if you thought he was going to really break out how do you manage say $3-4M on the cap this year and next?
I'd be tempted to try to go longer with Broberg and Holloway. Definitely go for length with Bouchard

Although we've been burned by gambles before. I'm sure Holland figured that Campbell would be a 7 aav quality goalie when he gave him 5 aav. He was trying to game the system. I like Broberg and Holloway but maybe another bridge deal makes sense, both in playing it a bit safe and saving some cap in the short term. Even going for 1 year with the aim of a lower AAV long term deal might be the way to go.

Imo we should get the right number for them rather than religiously sticking to a cap layout for the future. Make a problem by committing long term to Bouchard and just force yourself to make the space when you need to. It can be the fuel to make a tough decision that we probably should make anyway

Reactions: Oilhawks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad