2025 NHL Draft: Lose a ton for Porter Martone

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I know the ducks haven't won or earned 1OA this time around, but they should 100% be barred from getting that pick. How many years of top prospects can you get before you need to start being better?!
I want to put this in a time capsule and use it to make fun of us Sharkies in about 2-3 years when we are inevitably still in the bottom 10 but absolutely loaded with exciting young names :laugh:

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I want to put this in a time capsule and use it to make fun of us Sharkies in about 2-3 years when we are inevitably still in the bottom 10 but absolutely loaded with exciting young names :laugh:
Its actually interesting because the ducks situation is more common than not when you rip it all the way down

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Ducks arguably didn't tear it down hard enough. They should have traded Terry, Fowler and Gibson when they had the chance.

Also the Zegras and Drysdale picks were awful. Verbeek managed to correct one of them, let's see what he does with the other.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Hey bottom 10 would be an improvement over the Ducks perennial bottom 3!

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
For people that are locked in on prospects:

What happened to Michael Misa? I'm pretty sure he was granted exceptional status about a year ago and usually those players maintain high draft stock and big hype, did he fall off the map?

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007

What happened to Michael Misa? I'm pretty sure he was granted exceptional status about a year ago and usually those players maintain high draft stock and big hype, did he fall off the map?
He hasn't fallen off the map. He had a very promising and historic D-2, but last year's D-1 was just good, not great (75pts in 67g). He's still in the conversation, seemingly, but more like a Catton- or Helenius-level prospect... not the top tier of C's but definitely still first-round talent, maybe even top 10 talent.

And who knows, maybe he bounces back. EP cites him as one of 6 possible players who could challenge Hagens for 1OA (not likely, but he's on the list after Martone and Frondell, infront of McQueen, Shaefer, Ryabkin).

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I’ve seen a lot of Misa because he plays in Saginaw and he just doesn’t have high-end skill in my opinion. Good player, delightful skater, mature and responsible game, but I don’t know if I’d have him in my top-10 right now. If he moves back to C this season and puts up a bucketload of points, then he could definitely jump back into the top-5. But he didn’t really perform to expectation last year at all despite winning the Mem Cup.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
It is going to be weird getting good at a similar time to the Ducks and Hawks again

At least the Kings don't seem to be doing all that well on their rebuild.
The Kings were seen to have one of the best/better prospects/young cores just a few years ago. Seems like they'll be a "mid" playoff team now. Goes to show how unpredictable development can be.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
The Kings were seen to have one of the best/better prospects/young cores just a few years ago. Seems like they'll be a "mid" playoff team now. Goes to show how unpredictable development can be.
Shows how important having an elite prospect to headline of your rebuild rather than a host of 2nd liners. Getting Celebrini was so important for our rebuild. Smith (at the caliber he's projected) couldn't be the best player of our rebuild. LA appears to be getting the development finally with Byfield, but Turcotte was always overrated and they traded away too many 1st rounders way too early for not good players. They just wholly mismanaged their rebuild by thinking they were further along than they were and that their "studs" like Turcotte would be such in the NHL when their junior profiles never showed that.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Shows how important having an elite prospect to headline of your rebuild rather than a host of 2nd liners. Getting Celebrini was so important for our rebuild. Smith (at the caliber he's projected) couldn't be the best player of our rebuild. LA appears to be getting the development finally with Byfield, but Turcotte was always overrated and they traded away too many 1st rounders way too early for not good players. They just wholly mismanaged their rebuild by thinking they were further along than they were and that their "studs" like Turcotte would be such in the NHL when their junior profiles never showed that.
Agreed, cannot overstate how important getting a prospect like Celebrini was for our rebuild. He could still turn out as a poor man's Tavares, but we'd all much prefer his risk profile to that of Levshunov, Demidov, Lindstrom... And if he DOES hit then we will actually build a contender.

Kings are as you pointed out, likely to be a cautionary tale. Wings have avoided their fate so far but are missing the top of the lineup stud like Celebrini... if they had that one player and Larkin was a 2C, then that team is on the right path. In contrast, NJ is building the way SJ will likely try to build, got lucky with some 1OA's, and should be an exciting team to watch this year.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Hensler is someone I have zeroed in on early on. I really like his play style and game. Would be a good piece for our future hopefully with the Vegas pick.

I might have already said this in this thread.
Man, if he's available at the Vegas pick, then he's fallen pretty far.

Or, hallelujah, Vegas fell far.

Boumedienne is also exciting as a potential LD. He seems like a Jiricek without the injury concerns, from very early watching (great skater, rangy, some good vision and skills, but very raw).

RD is really thin though in this draft, at least in the very early lists.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario

Boumedienne is also exciting as a potential LD. He seems like a Jiricek without the injury concerns, from very early watching (great skater, rangy, some good vision and skills, but very raw).

1st overall is falling pretty far?

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Charlie Trethewey is someone I intend to watch a bunch this year. I hope he has a great season with the NTDP, 6’1” right now and doesn’t turn 17 for a couple more weeks even, a bit of an offensive slant to his game from what I’ve seen so far. Committed to BU…

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Charlie Trethewey is someone I intend to watch a bunch this year. I hope he has a great season with the NTDP, 6’1” right now and doesn’t turn 17 for a couple more weeks even, a bit of an offensive slant to his game from what I’ve seen so far. Committed to BU…
Yep, for RD it's Hensler and Trethewey and what, one other guy currently being talked about first round? Radivojevic? Just goes to show you what an outlier year 2024 was.

I guess there's Alex Huang, Carson Cameron knocking on the door of round 1. Just using some of the lists posted on this thread.

1st overall is falling pretty far?
I don't know who's misreading who, but I was talking about Hensler falling to the Vegas pick. I don't think Vegas is going to be 32nd in the league, and if they're a lottery pick and we get to pick 1OA, I don't think we'll be picking Hensler. It seems like he's going to be a 5-15 guy depending on the year he has at Wisconsin. obviously anything can happen, but...

Juxtaposer

Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

IMO this was a fantastic game for Hensler against Muskegon from a few months ago. This game is a great example of what I want to see more of from Hensler this coming season—if he played like this consistently, I definitely see top-5 pick.

Muskegon is a great USHL team, and you can see Hensler matched up against Sacha Boisvert who is an incredibly strong kid and Hensler gets the best of him physically several times. His positioning was great, he made several outstanding 1-on-1 stops, he handled the puck well both in-system and was able to rush the puck a couple times in non-risky situations where his team was comfortably in position to cover for him. I liked his risk management a lot and he picked his spots really well. I didn’t love the one race he lost that ended with the puck in his net and he blew a tire at an inopportune time in the third, but other than that this was the best game I’ve seen from Hensler. That’s the player we need him to keep developing into.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Plus Blake's awful decisions AND the fact that he's still employed. Love to see it. F*ck that team.
What awful decisions has Blake made? Turcotte looks like a bad pick in hindsight but a lot of that is due to his multiple concussions.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad