Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I agree that Parekh's defensive game gets overly shit on, but Buium is the best defensively after Silayev of the big 6 in this draft IMO. His offense won't translate as well I don't think, but he is fantastic defensively and is a one man breakout machine.

Also laughable that Basu is trying to stir up the Russian factor for Demidov. He's been nothing but clear that he wants to come to NA as soon as his contract is up, and is in fact why he got shafted the whole year by being stuck in the MHL.

Basu is saying the same thing that the Athletic podcast stated and other insiders have stated.. Demidov tantalizes a lot of teams but they do have concerns about CSKA, with Demidov's brothers, trying to push him into a long term deal OR throwing him back in the MHL again next year.

Both items aren't ideal.. so again it's a bit of that Michkov fear again, when you aren't sure they are unequivocally better than your other option, you want to take the lower risk profile when you're talking top ten picks.

Again, it's a guesstimation but it is a consideration. That consideration or Lindstrom's medicals might be the only reason we are likely to have a shot at one of them.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Did you watch Mailloux in his NHL debut against a Red Wings team that absolutely had to win that game? I was very impressed by his play. He looked so composed, played an almost flawless game and even produced a point. I was far more impressed by Mailloux's all around game than I was Hutson's.
Yes, I also watched Ryan Poehling's NHL debut when he scored a hat trick and his "poor shooting" argument was apparently completely invalid because he had some nice goals. Mailloux was impressive in his first game but one game at the end of the season doesn't mean all his previous seasons of a questionable defensive game is not valid anymore.
Also keep in mind Mailloux played very little hockey in his draft year and his D+1 year and has showed great progression in the last two seasons. He made the AHL All Star Game as a true AHL rookie at age 20. He has some very raw upside and he's just starting to scratch surface. He could be an absolute gem by the time he's 25 years old. We've made enough huge mistakes trading 1st round D long before they became finished products.
I'm not denying his progression, he's just got a lot to work on defensively since it's been an issue for a while. If he turns into someone you can play on the PK then great, but it's definitely not something you can feel confident about given his resume and one game won't change that.

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Assuming all of these players are available when the Habs pick, how would you rank these combinations?

Demidov + Reinbacher
Lindstrom + Reinbacher
Michkov + Levshunov
Michkov + Parekh

Personally, I prefer the first ones with Reinbacher.

Lindstrom//Demidov - Reinbacher. For sure.

Michkov have high offensive potential, but Lindstrom and Demidov are much complete player than him.

Reinbacher is in the same tier of Leshunov, the difference, Reinbacher is better at D zone, more safe choice between both.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
We talking about that 160 pound stick that lives and breathes bigotry and bullying?

I'd slap a DND on him and move on

I like him more now.

giphy.gif

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'd lose it at Buium. Buium and Helenius are the least appealing options that have been discussed with the Habs.
I’m surprised to be honest, I would’ve bet the farm that Buium did it for you.

Helenius is not in the convo that seems clear.

Freewheeling like Parekh does is fine… for a team that doesn’t sport Lane:naughty: Buium inspires me more of a structured player, but Dickinson would be my preferred option between the rest of the D. I’m looking for a minute cruncher with upside and size if I’m out of Demidov Lev Iggy or Lindstrom.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I’m surprised to be honest, I would’ve bet the farm that Buium did it for you.

Helenius is not in the convo that seems clear.

Freewheeling like Parekh does is fine… for a team that doesn’t sport Lane:naughty: Buium inspires me more of a structured player, but Dickinson would be my preferred option between the rest of the D. I’m looking for a minute cruncher with upside and size if I’m out of Demidov Lev Iggy or Lindstrom.

Buium creates offense like Lane but doesn't do it as good as Lane and I don't find him better defensively than Guhle, Xhekaj, Engstrom or even Struble.. so the combo doesn't work for me on the left side.

Reactions: Gustave

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Mailloux is destined to be a 3rd pairing D at best, so drafting or not drafting Parekh doesn’t really affect his standing
It should change his standing. I’d sell while his value is high and we know both of the top 4 RD spots are taken. I wouldn’t wait. You’re better off getting a veteran RD for the bottom pairing than having a guy who doesn’t offer much value defensively or has no chance to show what he has offensively.

Reactions: Michelangelo

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Yes, I also watched Ryan Poehling's NHL debut when he scored a hat trick and his "poor shooting" argument was apparently completely invalid because he had some nice goals. Mailloux was impressive in his first game but one game at the end of the season doesn't mean all his previous seasons of a questionable defensive game is not valid anymore.

I'm not denying his progression, he's just got a lot to work on defensively since it's been an issue for a while. If he turns into someone you can play on the PK then great, but it's definitely not something you can feel confident about given his resume and one game won't change that.
His defensive and positional play came a long way in Laval this year. He has great assets to work with to keep on improving with that size, skating, wingspan and strength. Everyone has a hard on for Hutson but his defensive game has more question marks than Mailloux's.

We've been crying for decades to get offensive players. When we have them, we shouldn't be looking at getting rid of them early in their development stages.

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
How are Cgy going to swap 9OA for 4OA? When was the last time a team moved down or even traded a top-5 pick?
Cal has a 2nd first rd pick. Plus they’d have to throw in a prospect or another 2nd rd pick. Will depend how bad they want that player. Not saying it will happen but you just never know.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Understatement of the century.

If they go Parekh at 5 I will lose it.
I wouldn't lose it if they went Parekh, I see the upside there.

But I think Buium is better and have had him higher than Parekh most of the year. He had one of the best draft eligible years ever in NCAA history for a defenseman. He helped lead USA to gold and won the NCAA national title.

I also see a common trend where people think these players are "low ceiling" but they turn out to be some of the best players of the draft looking back. Rewind to me arguing with these same people in 2020 that Guhle should be a target of ours in that draft and they told me he had a low ceiling.

I'd suspect one of Lindstrom or Demidov is there at 5 anyway so I think this conversation will turn out to be moot anyway.

Last edited:

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Did that twice before got burnt hard. Kotkaniemi and Kostitsyn. Costs us Tkachuk and Parise. Probably 3-4 cups also. We had good teams in '06, '10, '14, '21.

Taking a guy rated way back based on good 2 months. I say again, Like I said then on here, I seen Brian Savage played like Coco Lemaire for 2 months. But it doesn't make him Lemaire. You want to learn through your mistakes. Base your draft on long term play.

There is no world where this team was a Parise away from 4 cups.

Reactions: HabzSauce and 1909

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I wouldn't lose it if they went Parekh, I see the upside there.

But I think Buium is better and have had him higher than Parekh most of the year. He had one of the best draft eligible years ever in NCAA history for a defenseman. He helped lead USA to gold and won the NCAA national title.
Parekh was CHL dman of the year, won the Memorial Cup and had one of the most productive seasons every by an OHL dman in his draft year with 33 goals and 96 points. He has unreal offensive gifts that cannot be coached. By all accounts, he worked hard on his defensive play this season and will continue to.

My main concern with Parekh is that he's reckless and puts himself in situations where he gets absolutely tattooed. I worry about potential for concussion issues with this style of play.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Lindstrom//Demidov - Reinbacher. For sure.

Michkov have high offensive potential, but Lindstrom and Demidov are much complete player than him.

Reinbacher is in the same tier of Leshunov, the difference, Reinbacher is better at D zone, more safe choice between both.
and Reinbacher is younger.o_O

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Parekh was CHL dman of the year, won the Memorial Cup and had one of the most productive seasons every by an OHL dman in his draft year with 33 goals and 96 points. He has unreal offensive gifts that cannot be coached. By all accounts, he worked hard on his defensive play this season and will continue to.

My main concern with Parekh is that he's reckless and puts himself in situations where he gets absolutely tattooed. I worry about potential for concussion issues with this style of play.
I like Parekh, but the lackadaisical style irks me a bit. He needs to give a shit at the next level. That playstyle better not keep following him.

He plays like Karlsson, but Karlsson is a phenomenal skater. Parekh can’t afford to play at 75% with his lack of physical tools.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I don't see how Chicago lets Levshunov slip or Columbus picks Demidov over someone like Lindstrom.

I think the biggest probability is that Demidov is available and that's who management will pick.

NHL teams value size, low risk, translatable games (not just into en regular season, but the playoffs as well). They don't bank on sub 6' players being outliers like Point, Briere and Kucherov. They expect them to perform with difficulty in the post-season. They don't like leagues like the MHL with poor competition and structure or countries with instability. Its possible hes picked before 5, but that would be the surprise of the draft for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad