HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
Why wouldn’t he be able to dominate? There’s not a lot of fast, skilled 6’3 210+ lbs forwards in the NHL.
Size advantage won t be as important in theNHL. It s not as if all big junior players picked top 10 would always succeed (top of my head RyJohnason, Connelly,Ritchie bing big dominant top 10 draft busting out). You always have uncertainty with any prospect

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Size advantage won t be as important in theNHL. It s not as if all big junior players picked top 10 would always succeed (top of my head RyJohnason, Connelly,Ritchie bing big dominant top 10 draft busting out). You always have uncertainty with any prospect
Size advantage is becoming more and more important in the NHL, especially come playoff time. Also, peak RyJo was a pretty damn good player, he's 36th in points for forwards from 2013-2022.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Half of those guys (assuming Xhekaj significantly improves his defensive game) are not who you want on a PK. I don't see it as a championship D at all.
I think we should let that incredibly young inexperienced D prove that they can with time before making judgements.

He's a beast, but hfboards has gone woke. Sad!
It’s not about being woke. The kids an asshole. Period

Reactions: Doublechin

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I think we should let that incredibly young inexperienced D prove that they can with time before making judgements.

It’s not about being woke. The kids an asshole. Period

He’s a kid.

That’s the thing with today’s generation. We don’t want to be tough on crime with adults but we’re willing to burn a 17-18yr old kid at the stake for being a dick.

It’s completely routed in lunacy.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Johansen is not a bust. I would have love to have him during our pick between 2013-18

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He’s a kid.

That’s the thing with today’s generation. We don’t want to be tough on crime with adults but we’re willing to burn a 17-18yr old kid at the stake for being a dick.

Hardly burning a kid at the stake for not drafting him super high. He's probably still a late first rounder by an American team with a small media presence.

Reactions: GoodKiwi

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
this is the first draft in my lifetime (i'm 50) where 2nd-18th is more or less a toss up. 19th-32nd there will be a few gems (fallers) and of course some surprises. I'm really hoping Hugo uses WPG 1st to swap with one of the teams in the teens in order to pick up that "second" piece of the first tier.

I have a top 17 and Greentree is about to be 18th. I would say that there's a small step who separates the "teens from the top ten and I would gladly accept a move up to reach a the top 17. Therefore, this scenario sounds a bit unlikely since that move has already be done somewhere else. I think a move up with the Isles is a realy possible scenario and Im sure everybody here would put the trigger. Therefore, the more we look at it, more we can smell that someone good enough will be there at 26.

I think we'll be all smiles on draft day!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Those guys couldn’t skate

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
He’s a kid.

There's the other end of the spectrum where people think that not drafting a kid with the 5th overall pick is burning/cancelling him which will scar his mental for the rest of his life. He's going to be picked later on and will survive.

I like his on-ice game a lot, but I sure won't take the risk of drafting with the 5th overall a kid who's played for 7 different programs in 6 years, has different toxic stories involving him throughout all his teen years, couldn't land in a top NCAA program, shows absolutely no accountability for anything and blames everyone else.

The range of prospects with a high upside similar to Connelly is pretty wide. I'd rather gamble on a prospect that shows equal promise but with a good attitude and a clean history instead. Said prospect also deserves that reward much more than Connelly.

Reactions: Michelangelo

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
There's the other end of the spectrum where people think that not drafting a kid with the 5th overall pick is burning/cancelling him which will scar his mental for the rest of his life. He's going to be picked later on and will survive.

I like his on-ice game a lot, but I sure won't take the risk of drafting with the 5th overall a kid who's played for 7 different programs in 6 years, has different toxic stories involving him throughout all his teen years, couldn't land in a top NCAA program, shows absolutely no accountability for anything and blames everyone else.

The range of prospects with a high upside similar to Connelly is pretty wide. I'd rather gamble on a prospect that shows equal promise but with a good attitude and a clean history instead. Said prospect also deserves that reward much more than Connelly.

Who said anything about picking him 5th overall?

I just don’t think he belongs on a DND list, unless of course he’s shown no remorse for his past actions in team interviews.. then maybe stay clear of him.

But kids must be given an opportunity to learn from mistakes, and generally speaking their book is not written at 17-18 years old. All I’m saying.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I wish I had a bit more meat on the bone to evaluate with Demidov, outside of clips of him clowning jabronies in the MHL. Even just seeing him at the combine would at least have given me a bit more context on the guy. I can't help feeling a bit uneasy about him at #5 and most of it is pure fear of the unknown on my part.

Hacketts

Jul 12, 2018
I wish I had a bit more meat on the bone to evaluate with Demidov, outside of clips of him clowning jabronies in the MHL. Even just seeing him at the combine would at least have given me a bit more context on the guy. I can't help feeling a bit uneasy about him at #5 and most of it is pure fear of the unknown on my part.
Then everybody gets to see him.. the more mystery the better we have a chance at him.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well considering as young inexperienced D they each had questions on if they can even defend well enough in their respective leagues outside the NHL, I don't think it's a stretch to say that they likely won't be PK guys.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
After what I just read on The Athletic by Harpoon Basoong, I'm worried they might pass on Demidov if he's there. It will depend on what I hear from Dany Dubé and Martin McGuire in the upcoming weeks.

My take on Michkov last year was mostly about the geopolitical situation and the habs wanting no part in that, but I thought they'd turn the corner with the new conflict being in Israel/Palestine.

For the record, I'm much higher on Demidov than Michkov. So this would totally blow.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
15 is where things could go off script.

How far does Eiserman slide? Solberg seems like a very Detroit type pick there. Boisvert and Hage also seem like they will get drafted high.

I also like Luchanko going to Detroit. It's hard to predict what they will do.

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
Who said anything about picking him 5th overall?

I just don’t think he belongs on a DND list, unless of course he’s shown no remorse for his past actions in team interviews.. then maybe stay clear of him.

But kids must be given an opportunity to learn from mistakes, and generally speaking their book is not written at 17-18 years old. All I’m saying.
I mean the discussion stems from asking why he's not considered as a top 3 pick, to which it devolved into "cause woke people".

I agree with you that he should not be canceled. He's a f***ing asshole but not a criminal.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Why wouldn’t he be able to dominate? There’s not a lot of fast, skilled 6’3 210+ lbs forwards in the NHL.
Think about the 2016 draft. At this moment in time, do you prefer M. Tkachuk or C. Keller, or the three big guys drafted at 2, 3 and 4 that most people expected to dominate for the next decade. Size is not everything, far from it. When I see Iginla play, I see skills that I do not see in Lindstrom. Will Lindstrom develop them to accompany his massive frame? Maybe, but maybe not. Will he be plagued by injury issues like this year? Maybe, but maybe not. Will he shine under the crazy bright lights of our city and its rabid fans? Maybe, but maybe not.

When I think about the whole picture (as far as I can see it), I think Iginla is a better pick for us, but hey, I'm happy to be wrong if we end up with Lindstrom.

Reactions: crosbyshow

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I mean the discussion stems from asking why he's not considered as a top 3 pick, to which it devolved into "cause woke people".

I agree with you that he should not be canceled. He's a f***ing asshole but not a criminal.

No one's asked for him to be canceled either, just being drafted in the NHL is a privilege and when your own character and actions makes you a toxic asset for the majority of teams and impacts your draft stock, you reap what you sow.

In the end, just like Mailloux the consequences will be getting drafted in round 1, having to PR a bit and signing an ELC worth millions..

Reactions: Cubebrick

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Well considering as young inexperienced D they each had questions on if they can even defend well enough in their respective leagues outside the NHL, I don't think it's a stretch to say that they likely won't be PK guys.
Sorry dude but Guhle and Reinbacher were defensive studs

Cubebrick

Mar 5, 2014
No one's asked for him to be canceled either, just being drafted in the NHL is a privilege and when your own character and actions makes you a toxic asset for the majority of teams and impacts your draft stock, you reap what you sow.

In the end, just like Mailloux the consequences will be getting drafted in round 1, having to PR a bit and signing an ELC worth millions..
Of course he shouldn't be. I agree with you 100%.

I'd want to reward a kid who is within the same upside range in the draft and who has done right with that opportunity over the other kid who has a toxic history.

Reactions: WeThreeKings

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He’s a kid.

It’s completely routed in Luna it’s not a mistake. It’s a reputation. There’s a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad