HF Habs: 2024 NHL Draft Thread

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Who do you want at #5?

• Tij Iginla

Votes: 209 49.5%
  • Cole Eiserman

Votes: 14 3.3%
  • Berkly Catton

Votes: 92 21.8%
  • Konsta Helenius

Votes: 13 3.1%
  • Beckett Sennecke

Votes: 75 17.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 19 4.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
Did that twice before got burnt hard. Kotkaniemi and Kostitsyn. Costs us Tkachuk and Parise. Probably 3-4 cups also. We had good teams in '06, '10, '14, '21.

Taking a guy rated way back based on good 2 months. I say again, Like I said then on here, I seen Brian Savage played like Coco Lemaire for 2 months. But it doesn't make him Lemaire. You want to learn through your mistakes. Base your draft on long term play.
Savage was Mr. October!

He's a beast, but hfboards has gone woke. Sad!
can you imagine some of the past "all stars" who had done things way worse, before muh-feelings?

Reactions: NotProkofievian

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
This would indeed be worst case scenario.
With already Hutson, Reinbacher and Mailloux, i see zero use in adding another D who'll require considerable offensive minutes. Specially at the cost of a 5th OV.

Whoever we'd end up trading away likely doesn't return a forward that really moves the needle.

Reactions: Garnet76

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Parekh was CHL dman of the year, won the Memorial Cup and had one of the most productive seasons every by an OHL dman in his draft year with 33 goals and 96 points. He has unreal offensive gifts that cannot be coached. By all accounts, he worked hard on his defensive play this season and will continue to.

My main concern with Parekh is that he's reckless and puts himself in situations where he gets absolutely tattooed. I worry about potential for concussion issues with this style of play.
Yup, Parekh had a great year too. I just have more concerns about his defensive game compared to Buium and generally his engagement and his upright stance.

Buium had a better freshman year offensively than Makar, Hughes and Fox. Not saying he will reach that in the NHL, but he's also no slouch offensively while in my opinion being much better than Parekh in his own zone.

Like I said though, I won't hate Parekh at 5. I just like Buium much much more.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
His defensive and positional play came a long way in Laval this year. He has great assets to work with to keep on improving with that size, skating, wingspan and strength. Everyone has a hard on for Hutson but his defensive game has more question marks than Mailloux's.
Sure Hutson has more of a questionable defensive game, but neither are projected to be good enough to feel comfortable putting them in penalty-killing situations.
We've been crying for decades to get offensive players. When we have them, we shouldn't be looking at getting rid of them early in their development stages.
To a certain degree, and it's mostly for forwards. We've got everyone losing their minds at how bad Matheson is yet he's 9th in points for dmen this season.

You don't trade away any of Mailloux/Hutson/Parekh right away, but you most likely have to down the road.

Reactions: Schooner Guy

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I like Parekh, but the lackadaisical style irks me a bit. He needs to give a shit at the next level. That playstyle better not keep following him.

He plays like Karlsson, but Karlsson is a phenomenal skater. Parekh can’t afford to play at 75% with his lack of physical tools.
Parekh might not be Karlsson pre-achilles but he's a still a very fluid skater. He flies through the neutral zone at high speed. If the Habs do pick him, he'll be the most offensively gifted player we'll have drafted in decades. He'll add 10 points per season to Slaf's, Suzuki's and Caufield's totals. It would be the end of our PP woes.

He would require some work but would have huge payoff if they could get him playing adequate D at the NHL level. Like I mentioned, my biggest concern is his potential for injuries the way he's so reckless and puts himself in harm's way.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
So I just listened to the podcast StevenIves was on and what he's saying about Nygard and why he places him so high is.

1. He does more Little things to win a hockey game then any 18 year old

2. He played in the 2nd best Swedish league but didn't put up big numbers which is why he's ranked in the lower teens but in international play he was phenomenal

3. Best Defensive Winger in the entire draft. He's so good that that when he moved up into the Swedish men's league later in the season the coach trusted him enough to play at center. That rarely happens for a an 18 year old in the top men's league in Sweden. and when he played center he did really well.

4. Big, physical one of the fastest forwards in the draft

5 He's so versatile that he could potentially be used up and down the lineup in different situations and succeed

6. Elite level shot, Elite IQ and likes to go to the net where most goals are scored in the NHL

7. All purpose player

8. His player comparison is which is pretty lofty but he thinks he can do it is "Faster Mark Stone"
------

So basically he's not a potential 80-100 pt player like some in the draft but he'll give you 60pts while making sure his team doesn't get scored on while he's on the ice.

A player like that can me way more valuable in tough games and in the playoffs.

Here's the podcast he was on where he goes through his rankings and talks about them in depth.

I expect New Jersey to take him at #10. He's exactly what that organization needs. They'd be dumb not to take him.

First 15 picks:

1. SJS: Celebrini
2. Chi: Levshunov
3. Ana: Dickinson
4. CBJ: Lindstrom
5. Mont: Demidov
6. Utah: Buium
7. Ott: Yakemchuk or Parekh
8. Sea: Yakemchuk or Parekh
9. Calg: Iginla
10. NJ: MBN
11. Buf: Sennecke or Helenius
12. Phil: Sennecke, Helenius or Catton
13. SJS: Silayev
14. Minnesota: Sennecke, Helenius, Catton or Eiserman
15. Detroit: Same as above.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
I swear of CLB steal Lindstrom one pick away again from us…! ****.

Lets trade up with Anaheim ffs

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I expect New Jersey to take him at #10. He's exactly what that organization needs. They'd be dumb not to take him.

First 15 picks:

Mike Grier would get charged for public indecency by running around naked if he came out with Celebrini+Silayev.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I swear of CLB steal Lindstrom one pick away again from us…! ****.

Lets trade up with Anaheim ffs
They did that with Dubois. Think Bergevin was going to pull the trigger on a trade with the Oil as he wanted PLD, but CLB took him and the trade died.

Reactions: Hannibal

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
If Lindstrom is there and the Hab's don't take him it would be the Pastrňák draft 2.0

He's Everyone's favorite player during the beginning of the season but gets injured for most of the season. GM's get amazed by late risers and Lindstrom falls down the draft and then goes on to prove how stupid most of the NHL GM's are.

Reactions: HabzSauce

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

First 15 picks:

I think it is very possible the draft unfolds like this. However I don t see Silayev going past PHI. Could see SJS having Celebrini Catton however which is a scary thought ;)

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
If Lindstrom is there and the Hab's don't take him it would be the Pastrňák draft 2.0

He's Everyone's favorite player during the beginning of the season but gets injured for most of the season. GM's get amazed by late risers and Lindstrom falls down the draft and then goes on to prove how stupid most of the NHL GM's are.

What do you mean by Pastrnak draft 2.0? Pastrnak was gone by the Habs pick.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019

I think there is a point to that, on the other hand you could look at the Nolan Patrick precedent and look like a genius when he is out of the league at 25. happy to trust the doctors since we have no information.

In terms of hockey Lindstrom is physically impressive, no denying, but there is always the question of how his game will evolve when he cannot dominate as much in the NHL.

My top 5 is Celibrini Dickinson Buium Demidov Catton but it would be foolish to dismiss Lindstrom could be better than them of course.

Reactions: CristianoRonaldo

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008

First 15 picks:

15 is where things could go off script.

How far does Eiserman slide? Solberg seems like a very Detroit type pick there. Boisvert and Hage also seem like they will get drafted high.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Whats the red flags on Iginla??
He might be a complementairy player, even if he is the youngest, you would assume he has the most run way but is dad is a Hall of famer he might have already optimised and had access to lot stuff that others didn't (work out, nutrition, pro tips) he does all the small things very well those are great habits to have but at the next level those small things won't give him as much of a edge.
Even if he is a good NHLer he might not end up being the best player at #5.

themilosh

Sponsor
Apr 27, 2015
Oakville, ON
1st question in my mind is more why a 6.2, 210 lbs forward with 35 more pts than 2nd spitfires forward is now losing 10 places in their ranking. Not a target, but if you can grab a sapin with 26ov, good for us
this is the first draft in my lifetime (i'm 50) where 2nd-18th is more or less a toss up. 19th-32nd there will be a few gems (fallers) and of course some surprises. I'm really hoping Hugo uses WPG 1st to swap with one of the teams in the teens in order to pick up that "second" piece of the first tier.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
I don't think Silayev gets by Anaheim. NHL GMs are way higher on him than public lists who like sexier picks.

I agree, he's like last year's reinbacher, not sexy, but solid all around and potential to be a top pairing guy and 100% an nhl player. although, silayev, probably has higher upside than reinbacher.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I think there is a point to that, on the other hand you could look at the Nolan Patrick precedent and look like a genius when he is out of the league at 25. happy to trust the doctors since we have no information.

In terms of hockey Lindstrom is physically impressive, no denying, but there is always the question of how his game will evolve when he cannot dominate as much in the NHL.

My top 5 is Celibrini Dickinson Buium Demidov Catton but it would be foolish to dismiss Lindstrom could be better than them of course.
Why wouldn’t he be able to dominate? There’s not a lot of fast, skilled 6’3 210+ lbs forwards in the NHL.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

I might be remembering it wrong but wasn't Nolan Patrick know to have suffered a concussion before the draft which nobody really cared about? It was later during his 1st season with the flyers that he got two concussions right after each other and has basically had to retire.

Nolan had really bad luck or "didn't keep his head up kid". I don't think people can use him as a cautionary tale for picking Lindstrom who only suffered a back injury that just takes a long time to heal.

What do you mean by Pastrnak draft 2.0? Pastrnak was gone by the Habs pick.
The tale wasn't meant as a slight against the Hab's but against over half of the league who past on him.

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad