2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Maybe he should try to make some step up to thr organization. Sure nobody is around that was at the top but his 2010 offseason moves were seen as spiteful.

Chelios made ammends and worked with the team to earn it. Will Wilson do that? He works for Pittsburgh now
Screw Doug Wilson after the Hammer offsersheet
It did, but he's still a d-bag that deserves no love from this organization.
True, but I understand that fans hold it against him. And I would understand if ownership does as well.

Hawks are the ones who owe Wilson an apology for allowing Keenan to treat him the way he did and ultimately allowing Keenan to make situation so terrible that going to expansion Sharks was seen as a positive

#24 should be in rafters if HOF standard is what they claim

#24 and #28 should have gone up years ago IMO but it's clear Hawks will never do it even if Larmer also makes it into HOF at some point

Reactions: BuddyTheGoon

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Hawks are the ones who owe Wilson an apology for allowing Keenan to treat him the way he did and ultimately allowing Keenan to make situation so terrible that going to expansion Sharks was seen as a positive

#24 should be in rafters if HOF standard is what they claim

#24 and #28 should have gone up years ago IMO but it's clear Hawks will never do it even if Larmer also makes it into HOF at some point
I think the bigger problem is that Larmer isn’t in the HOF than that the Hawks haven’t retired Wilson’s number.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
True, but I understand that fans hold it against him. And I would understand if ownership does as well.

I would understand that even less, not to mention no one in current ownership/front office roles was here when that happened in 2010.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Pretty much in dead part of offseason at this point

Don't see any major moves on horizon around league and Davidson appears to have finished for summer

Mid July thru early Sept is always terrible as a hockey fan

Reactions: Muffinalt

Fortyfives

Jul 13, 2011
Man that Hossa jersey retirement is just going to look so dumb in hindsight. It was dumb at the time. We all love Hoss but he only spent 40% of his career here and he was out of prime for more than half those games.
random-get-away.gif

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Man that Hossa jersey retirement is just going to look so dumb in hindsight. It was dumb at the time. We all love Hoss but he only spent 40% of his career here and he was out of prime for more than half those games.
No, it won't, that's stupid. The value of being a core piece and Hall of Fame level player on 3 Stanley Cup winners coming off a 50-year drought can't be overstated. "If he's retired, some dude from the 80s who got beat in the 2nd round has to get there", no, they don't. Cups matter a ton for a player's legacy amongst a specific team.

Some kid points to the Hossa jersey in 20 years and their dad says "yeah, he was a Hall of Fame, best 2-way winger of his generation, that helped the Hawks get over the top and be a mini-dynasty". Not "idk, some old guy that was good for some other teams and then had some equipment rash"

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
No, it won't, that's stupid. The value of being a core piece and Hall of Fame level player on 3 Stanley Cup winners coming off a 50-year drought can't be overstated. "If he's retired, some dude from the 80s who got beat in the 2nd round has to get there", no, they don't. Cups matter a ton for a player's legacy amongst a specific team.

Some kid points to the Hossa jersey in 20 years and their dad says "yeah, he was a Hall of Fame, best 2-way winger of his generation, that helped the Hawks get over the top and be a mini-dynasty". Not "idk, some old guy that was good for some other teams and then had some equipment rash"

If Hossa had played his entire career to his Blackhawks numbers, he wouldn't be in the HHoF. He would have gone into the Hall of Very Good.

Point being, raising Hossa's number to the rafters in the context of *what he did as a Blackhawk* lowered the bar for jersey retirements in Chicago.

You can't argue that Hossa was a significantly more important piece to the Cup puzzle than Sharp, Hjalmarsson or Seabrook. Those three guys, on their numbers alone, probably aren't guys whose jerseys you retire. Now? I don't see how you argue against them. Unless your argument is merely "they're not in the hall of fame", which you argue against claiming that Cups matter a ton to a player's legacy with a specific team.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL

100% agree. I'm not sure they win any cups with Big Hoss. I'm glad they retired his #.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
If Hossa had played his entire career to his Blackhawks numbers, he wouldn't be in the HHoF. He would have gone into the Hall of Very Good.

Point being, raising Hossa's number to the rafters in the context of *what he did as a Blackhawk* lowered the bar for jersey retirements in Chicago.

You can't argue that Hossa was a significantly more important piece to the Cup puzzle than Sharp, Hjalmarsson or Seabrook. Those three guys, on their numbers alone, probably aren't guys whose jerseys you retire. Now? I don't see how you argue against them. Unless your argument is merely "they're not in the hall of fame", which you argue against claiming that Cups matter a ton to a player's legacy with a specific team.
Seabrook's number is retired and he'll absolutely get a night honoring his name being raised to the rafters because it has nothing to do with merit and everything to do with the Blackhawks being able to make more money off of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad