Confirmed with Link: Blues sign 2 Oilers to offer sheets!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Michael64

Aug 20, 2024
Long time reader, first time poster. As a Toronto based Blues fan for decades dating back to Garry Unger, Red Berenson and the Plagers, I like you have seen the ups and the downs for our squad. I say this in context as over the immediate past we have had several tough blasts to contend with...and persevered.

Throughout I was hopeful that DA and the FO would manage to right the ship. Certainly several tough decisions, however now looking at both the lineup, the improvements made over the summer and most importantly the quality of the prospect pipeline, this restoration is in good shape. I have read about retool, rebuild etc...this is part of a ...restoration. This v shrewd, methodical, analytic add of Broberg and Holloway is first rate. Even if they are over paid, it is a strong strategic spend of cap dollars over a 2 yr period of time that allows the pipeline to provide at least 4 ( if not all)of the following for the roster: Bolduc, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, Lindstein, Jiricek, LF, Stenberg, Dean...and say 1 wild card( KOS or Jecho on F, Ralph on D).

I laughed when the Hockey Guy on Youtube rated the top 10 GM's/Execs and DA was omitted. Not here to shill for him or anyone, but seriously the gulf between the OILERS FO and ours was plainly on display for all to see. And we will be vindicated in time to come.

Drubilly

Sep 23, 2018
Collinsville
Long time reader, first time poster. As a Toronto based Blues fan for decades dating back to Garry Unger, Red Berenson and the Plagers, I like you have seen the ups and the downs for our squad. I say this in context as over the immediate past we have had several tough blasts to contend with...and persevered.

Throughout I was hopeful that DA and the FO would manage to right the ship. Certainly several tough decisions, however now looking at both the lineup, the improvements made over the summer and most importantly the quality of the prospect pipeline, this restoration is in good shape. I have read about retool, rebuild etc...this is part of a ...restoration. This v shrewd, methodical, analytic add of Broberg and Holloway is first rate. Even if they are over paid, it is a strong strategic spend of cap dollars over a 2 yr period of time that allows the pipeline to provide at least 4 ( if not all)of the following for the roster: Bolduc, Snuggerud, Dvorsky, Lindstein, Jiricek, LF, Stenberg, Dean...and say 1 wild card( KOS or Jecho on F, Ralph on D).

I laughed when the Hockey Guy on Youtube rated the top 10 GM's/Execs and DA was omitted. Not here to shill for him or anyone, but seriously the gulf between the OILERS FO and ours was plainly on display for all to see. And we will be vindicated in time to come.
Hi Michael!

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Dude I keep trying to make a lineup guess and there is just too many players I want to include. This is the one I keep going back to

Neighbours - Thomas - Kyrou
Saad - Buchnevich - Schenn
Texier - Holloway - Joseph
Toropchenko - Faksa - Sundqvist (if ready at start of season)

Other guys who could push for a spot: Walker, Kapanen, Dvorsky, Bolduc, Dean and Sylvegard

Broberg - Parayko
Leddy - Faulk
Suter - Kessel

Assuming Krug is out for season, you also have POJ and Perunovich

Holy shit has Army done a fantastic job of replenishing the depth.

BlueSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West

Thank you for your words. Very well said!

I am slowly coming back around to giving Army the respect he is due. It's one thing to totally mess up things but imo its what you do after that, that displays your integrity and character. And Army has been nothing but amazing when he gets to that point.

The Blues are coming.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri

I like to call it a "ressurection"...but restoration, retool, re-anything-but-build is good as well.

Reactions: BlueSeal

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Dude I keep trying to make a lineup guess and there is just too many players I want to include. This is the one I keep going back to

Other guys who could push for a spot: Walker, Kapanen, Dvorsky, Bolduc, Dean and Sylvegard

Broberg - Parayko
Leddy - Faulk
Suter - Kessel

Only thing I would flip is putting Schenn on the 1st line with Thomas and Neighbors and Kyrou with Buch and Saad. Saad-Buch-Kyrou played pretty well together.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Thank you for your words. Very well said!

I am slowly coming back around to giving Army the respect he is due. It's one thing to totally mess up things but imo its what you do after that, that displays your integrity and character. And Army has been nothing but amazing when he gets to that point.

The Blues are coming.

Coming from a girl that wanted Army fired...I have to admit, he's done an amazing job in fixing this team, getting help in unexpected places, replenishing the prospect pool, and most importantly, he's learned from his mistakes. I hope that Steen is just as good as Army's been for us.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008

Broberg - Parayko
Leddy - Faulk
Suter - Kessel

Bolduc is going to beat the door down this camp

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
For the first training camp with a new coach, they gave him a lot of pieces to craft a decent young team with. There will be some real buzz and competition. As Armstrong said, there are some veterans who show up just planning to get into a rhythm in camp, but they better not take that approach this year.

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
He'd better.
He won't make the team if he doesn't.

Barring more moves, this might be the deepest group of forwards the Blues have ever gone to camp with. I count 20 guys that could make a legit claim for NHL ice time.

Possibly more if one or more of Robertsson, Kaskimaki, Peterson, Dickinson, or someone else impresses - and it's a real possibility that they could impress. I'm not even including Stenberg, Pekarcik, Stancl, or any of the others we've selected in the past two drafts, Dvorsky aside, or even Snuggerud, who can't be at camp, since he's in college (unless I'm mistaken?), and that's not even including defensemen who could, at the very least, carve out a career as a seventh D-man/first call-up for the AHL.

I cannot, for the life of me, recall a deeper prospect pool for the Blues than what we have now.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
@Blanick mentioned Sylvegärd. This is getting stoopid now. How are they going to manage all of this talent?

Does Sylvy got chops? Is he good? His numbers are good and he's 25.

Copied from EliteProspects: Sylvegård is one flashy player, who stands out with his great speed and physical play. Owns a terrific shot. Aren't afraid to show emotions on the ice. Lacks a bit of routine to control himself whenever the game heats up a bit. - David Enbom (2019).

Reactions: mk80

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
@Blanick mentioned Sylvegärd. This is getting stoopid now. How are they going to manage all of this talent?

Does Sylvy got chops? Is he good? His numbers are good and he's 25.

Copied from EliteProspects: Sylvegård is one flashy player, who stands out with his great speed and physical play. Owns a terrific shot. Aren't afraid to show emotions on the ice. Lacks a bit of routine to control himself whenever the game heats up a bit. - David Enbom (2019).

Back when we signed him I pulled up some highlights and he reminded me a lot of Toropchenko. A physical, straight line, hard start and stop player. I remains to be seen if his offense can translate to NA but given what I saw I think he could absolutely slot in on the 4th line and be effective. Because he is such a relatively unknown I feel like he gets left out of the discussion a lot but I don't think he signed over here with an intent to be a AHL player, he wants to play in the show.

ChicagoBlues

Terraformers
Oct 24, 2006
I really don't think we are overrating our prospect pool.

Room will be made at the tdl with some combo of Saad, Suter, Kap, Faksa, Peru being traded.

So there is a pathway to opportunity and success for these young and new players.

Now DA/Steener need to keep restoring (I like that term) our blue line.

Doug Armstrong is making an Olympic 4 x 400 Gold Medal baton pass to Alexander Steen.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Actually I dont care about an OS. The Oilers WILL NOT do an offer sheet. I find it interesting that you dont think that Holloway making $2.2M for 15 goals will have any affect on what Jake asks for scoring 35. Or what Perukovich and Joseph will ask for when Broberg is making $4.6M. What better comparables to use than those on your team.

Just FYI, Alberta boys are Alberta boys, regardless of whether they were in Calgary or Edmonton. Again...no OS from t he Oilers.....just really interesting seeing the obliviousness to the market set by these two signings.

The guy I do feel sorry for here is Holloway. He was used by Ferris and Broberg as a pawn and now will be playing bottom six minutes on a non-playoff team instead of in the SCF
Nobody cares about Scott P and Joseph is a complete unknown at this point so who knows what either will be worth. There worth will be whatever the market dictates. I haven’t looked at if either have arbitration rights or offer sheet rights but if they go through either process the blues can either match or decline. At this point getting a pick for either would be okay.

If either wants close to Broberg money they ain’t getting it unless it’s via offer sheet or arbitration, the blues aren’t offering extra money to bottom pair D with little upside.

Neighbors is so above what Holloway got that it’s funny you even bring those two up together. They aren’t comparable. Neighbors will get significantly more than what Holloway just got. Do players say, I’m 3x better than player X So I should get 6M per? No, they typically look at players around their production and say why they should get similar or get more. Which is good for oilers fans, otherwise Bouchard would be asking for $27M per season (yes I know that’s way above max, P.S. Nurse sucks).

Now go start lobbying for other fanbases to get on board with offer sheeting Neighbors. Make sure they have their 1,2,3 picks because anything less than that would be a match for the blues.

Reactions: Memento

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I like the way our team is trending (80% of that is because I won’t have to watch Krug for the season) but man, this team still has a lot to prove fellas.

Let’s see if we can even make the ploffs first….

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
These moves have me excited to watch this team again. The last 2 years were extremely hard to get up for, and it’s nice to have this feeling back.

With that being said, 2025-26 looks to be when the real fun starts.

We’re looking at a forward group of: Thomas, Kyrou, Buchnevich, Schenn, Neighbours, Dvorsky, Snuggerud, Holloway, Bolduc, Texier, Joseph, Dean, Toropchenko, and Sundqvist.

Obviously, I have Saad being traded here, and maybe Joseph gets dealt too. Either way, that team is going to be so enjoyable, even if they aren’t contenders just yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad