2024-25 Roster…too soon?

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
generally when people say they care about something "this much", it's to a greater extent than voicing an opinion on a hockey forum that crashes when it has more than 1000 users on it at the same time.
i disagree. the issue is one of proportionality. for example: if an ant dies, i would question someone in the same way for even thinking about it much less externalizing it.
I don't think he has to argue against any of them either. "You" being anyone -- like someone with the last name Wirtz, for instance -- not specifically him.
the wirtzes don’t have to argue about it either, unless there’s disagreement amongst them, and even then i’d imagine the buck stops with danny. if he decides brandon bolig is getting his number retired, and he’s dead set on it, there’s very little point in arguing about it. particularly when you realize that it’s fundamentally a meaningless question that only has sentimental significance to a narrow slice of a subcultural fandom.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
i don’t understand why you care this much about what numbers hang from the rafters of the airplane company building, but i won’t try to take it away from you.
It's straight tribalism but you're obviously guilty of it if you've registered on a hockey forum and predominantly post on a team centric sub forum.

Like you care way more than most if you're posting in the middle of July.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
It's straight tribalism but you're obviously guilty of it if you've registered on a hockey forum and predominantly post on a team centric sub forum.

Like you care way more than most if you're posting in the middle of July.
for sure. i do not mean to say that i am exempt or “above it all”. i will say to my defense though, i take this stuff far less seriously than a fair portion of this website’s userbase. that’s something like 25% of my posts is making fun of people investing too much emotional energy into hockey fandom. another 35% is pedantry, 25% statswatching, and 15% ragging on musto.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
for sure. i do not mean to say that i am exempt or “above it all”. i will say to my defense though, i take this stuff far less seriously than a fair portion of this website’s userbase. that’s something like 25% of my posts is making fun of people investing too much emotional energy into hockey fandom. another 35% is pedantry, 25% statswatching, and 15% ragging on musto.
Gotta pump those last numbers up.

Reactions: statswatcher

MTU34

Oct 6, 2020
Curious if Jakob Chychrun ends up a ufa next season . He might wanna play for his Uncle Luke? What would be a fair price ,I'm guessing about 5.3 x 5 or 6 years. Good signing for us or not?
I don’t think making a significant investment into a left shot D as a free agent would be a great idea. Vlasic has already established himself and is trending towards being a premier shutdown defenseman in this league. Korchinski is raw but the sky is the limit with his frame, skating, and puck moving abilities. In a perfect world you’ve already got 2 left shot D that will command 22+ minutes a night. Then you factor in the fact that Kaiser/EDM/Allan are all trending towards being NHL defenseman in some capacity and I just don’t think it’s justifiable to commit significant money and term to Chychrun

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I don’t think making a significant investment into a left shot D as a free agent would be a great idea. Vlasic has already established himself and is trending towards being a premier shutdown defenseman in this league. Korchinski is raw but the sky is the limit with his frame, skating, and puck moving abilities. In a perfect world you’ve already got 2 left shot D that will command 22+ minutes a night. Then you factor in the fact that Kaiser/EDM/Allan are all trending towards being NHL defenseman in some capacity and I just don’t think it’s justifiable to commit significant money and term to Chychrun
He does play RD .

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
This isn't 2022, nobody thinks Jakob Chychrun is that good anymore, lol. Look at what he just returned in trade.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
If KD is really interested in trading the 25 1st can we do it for a player like Brady Tkachuk and just staple him to Bedard's line for the next 5+ years

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
If KD is really interested in trading the 25 1st can we do it for a player like Brady Tkachuk and just staple him to Bedard's line for the next 5+ years
I dunno that top 6 2025 mock draft fits us perfectly. 5 centers and a big RW

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
What would you personally trade for Patrick Laine? For me, 2 2nds but I understand people who stay away. Just think we have the assets that we can gamble.

Edit: I guess we’d have to send some salary the other way so maybe Donato and two 2nds or something.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
What would you personally trade for Patrick Laine? For me, 2 2nds but I understand people who stay away. Just think we have the assets that we can gamble.

Edit: I guess we’d have to send some salary the other way so maybe Donato and two 2nds or something.
No thanks. One dimensional, hasn't played more than 70 games since '19.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022

Why would you want to gamble? What's the upside? So he can recover his trade value and you trade him for more next year? We don't really have the coach to help Laine thrive at the moment and at 26, he doesn't really fit the long-term plan here.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I would trade Reichel + Dach

That's about it

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Why would you want to gamble? What's the upside? So he can recover his trade value and you trade him for more next year? We don't really have the coach to help Laine thrive at the moment and at 26, he doesn't really fit the long-term plan here.
I mean if he gets back to himself he’s your second best player for two years. You can resign or an amazing trade chip.

If he sucks it cost you two 2nds. What are the odds that a 2nd round pick becomes a Laine? 50/1?

Just an opportunity to find cheap offensive talent. I’m lukewarm, but could make sense.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
if you do move one of the extra 2nds you have for Laine there is a decent chance they can parlay that into a 1st at the deadline if he comes in motivated and produces even half of what his peak was, worst case you probably get what you moved for him or maybe a 3rd worst case...

I would trade Reichel + Dach

That's about it
why....just give up a pick that likely becomes nothing anyway, Reichel should be moved in a hockey deal for an equivalent type prospect

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I mean if he gets back to himself he’s your second best player for two years. You can resign or an amazing trade chip.

If he sucks it cost you two 2nds. What are the odds that a 2nd round pick becomes a Laine? 50/1?

Just an opportunity to find cheap offensive talent. I’m lukewarm, but could make sense.

If he gets back to himself, playing under Luke? I don't really see it. Also, who'd be getting him the puck? Do you want Laine taking opportunities away from Bedard? Because he's not a setup guy, he's a shooter and we already have our shooter.

I think the most likely outcome if you traded say Dach + Allan + 2nd round pick for Laine is that he languishes here for a year and a half and then maybe he's dumped or he walks at the end of his contract. It's just a bad fit. Better to hold onto those assets and use them for someone that fits at a better time.

Reactions: Giovi

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I would love Laine. He would automatically be the second most talented forward on this team. Plus if a guy like Nazar makes it, he can have a talented winger to play with him since Nazar is a very good passer with great vision to set him up. Team will still be bad, but at least way more fun to watch.

But I doubt Davidson does it. Even if he gives up picks, there's just way too many bodies even if Nazar, Slaggert, etc go down.

Reactions: Hollowmoon

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
If he gets back to himself, playing under Luke? I don't really see it. Also, who'd be getting him the puck? Do you want Laine taking opportunities away from Bedard? Because he's not a setup guy, he's a shooter and we already have our shooter.

Let's not act like Bedard doesn't know how to pass the puck. If anything, his passing and vision is arguably just as elite as his shot. I doubt that would be much of an issue if both were on the same line. I prefer Teravainen on Bedard's line because he's better defensively and Laine won't solve the issue of that 1st line getting caved in 5 on 5 other than his size on that line (which would be most welcomed on this team). He would be a better fit with Nazar though no doubt.

But like I said, there's just way too many bodies. I personally still don't get the Maroon acquisition even if there's injuries (sure he's big and can eat fists, but he's slow as molasses and old and not very good defensively. Its like we got Perry back but without the offensive talent) but that's another discussion.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad