2024-25 Roster…too soon?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
All this Askarov stuff is pointless as Hawks are firmly committed to two vets over next 2 years with Mrazek (Extended during season) and Brossoit (FA)

So, there is no path to NHL with Hawks for kid

Also, with investments in Commesso and Gajan (Both recent 2nd rounders) the Hawks probably dont look to bring in another young G at this stage

Honestly think Flyers should be team calling up Preds. They have 3 1st round picks in coming draft so they can offer one to Preds (Let them choose if they want Avs or Oilers pick at draft), they have a few good prospects (not top guys like Michkov/Bonk) that may interest Preds, and they have a guy in Ersson signed at 1.5M who can be traded to Preds and compete with Wedgewood for #2 spot and loser goes to AHL

Something like

1st (Preds choice of Avs or Oilers)
Barkey or Knuble (Both solid prospects)
Ersson

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
All this Askarov stuff is pointless as Hawks are firmly committed to two vets over next 2 years with Mrazek (Extended during season) and Brossoit (FA)

Also, with investments in Commesso and Gajan (Both recent 2nd rounders) the Hawks probably dont look to bring in another young G at this stage

Honestly think Flyers should be team calling up Preds. They have 3 1st round picks in coming draft so they can offer one to Preds (Let them choose if they want Avs or Oilers pick at draft), they have a few good prospects (not top guys like Michkov/Bonk) that may interest Preds, and they have a guy in Ersson signed at 1.5M who can be traded to Preds and compete with Wedgewood for #2 spot and loser goes to AHL

Something like

Ersson
This makes sense. The Hawks don't have an NHL spot for Askarov which he is demanding. The Preds aren't going to take Mrazek since they just paid Saros a ton. Brossoit is signed for 2 yrs so the Preds won't take that at $3.3m hit with Saros making $7.7 and Wedgewood at $1.5m.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Doesnt say "I want to play in the NHL, thats why I want out." so no, its not cut and dry at all.
Top Nashville Predators goaltending prospect Yaroslav Askarov has requested a trade and will not report to the team's AHL affiliate, ESPN reported Monday.

Insider Kevin Weekesreports that Askarov has made it clear-if he doesn't crack the Predators' roster out of training camp, he won't be suiting up for their AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Top Nashville Predators goaltending prospect Yaroslav Askarov has requested a trade and will not report to the team's AHL affiliate, ESPN reported Monday.

Insider Kevin Weekesreports that Askarov has made it clear-if he doesn't crack the Predators' roster out of training camp, he won't be suiting up for their AHL affiliate, the Milwaukee Admirals
Yeah, the Predators, because there is zero path to a starting job in the next 7 or so years. Where does it say he won't report to another teams AHL team? Hint: It doesn't.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Yeah, the Predators, because there is zero path to a starting job in the next 7 or so years. Where does it say he won't report to another teams AHL team? Hint: It doesn't.
So in your world you trade Soderblom /Reichel/pick for Askarov and have him report to Rockford and you think Askarov will report? He thinks he is NHL ready and wants NHL money not AHL money.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
So in your world you trade Soderblom /Reichel/pick for Askarov and have him report to Rockford and you think Askarov will report? He thinks he is NHL ready and wants NHL money not AHL money.
He hasn't said that anywhere. And yes, zero doubt he would report, as there is a high chance he gets called up at some point and has a future in the NHL in Chicago in the next year or 2.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
He hasn't said that anywhere. And yes, zero doubt he would report, as there is a high chance he gets called up at some point and has a future in the NHL in Chicago in the next year or 2.
Mrazek is signed for 2 years more as is Broisset. I guess we differ on opinion. I believe Askarov wants to play in the NHL now and doesn't want to wait until 2026-2027 season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Mrazek is signed for 2 years more as is Broisset. I guess we differ on opinion. I believe Askarov wants to play in the NHL now and doesn't want to wait until 2026-2027 season.
Mrzaek is made of glass, and a 2 year commitment isn't a 8 year commitment. Hawks could easily trade one of the two if Askarovs play allows them to. But, they aren't trading him here anyway, they'll trade him somewhere where he wont burn them in the future.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008

Something like

Ersson
Moderate overpay for a minor league goalie, particularly one who refuses to report. I’d offer a second, and if they demand one of the low firsts, the prospect is off the table or I’m getting a second or third back.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
when you go on the ahl website and filter 2023-24 goalie stats by "qualified goalies"' askarov is 17th in sv% and commesso is 27th. that .5% is the difference between being a statistically mediocre to below average ahl starter and statistically amoung the worst ahl starters.

What? They weren't measured as "starters", they were measured on games played. When you go to the AHL website and filter by "qualified goalies", you find that the site ranks 48. It's not as if Commesso was 27th out of 30.

The difference between 17th and 27th? 0.5%. The difference between Commesso and the worst qualified goalie in the AHL was 3.4%.

That's the difference between allowing 5 more goals for every 1000 shots faced and allowing 34 more goals for every 1000 shots faced.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
This. I like Commesso but he doesn't have Askarov's talent. It's a lazy argument to say "well this guy is only __ % lower" or "well this guy only has __ points less" when their are other variables. Watch them both play. I've seen Askarov steal many games. His size, athleticism, hockey sense, lateral movement, skating, etc. are all there.

It's lazy to cite stats that measure the performance of a goaltender who has literally one job: stop pucks? Goaltending isn't as nuanced as other positions. You don't get credit for being seen as more athletic if the less athletic guy stops as many pucks as you. You're not lauded as a great "two-way" goaltender. The eye test matters a lot less to goaltenders.

Sv% isn't perfect, there are better starts for measuring goaltending relative to the quality of shots faced but I don't have access to GSAx for the AHL -- as far as I know it's not tracked.

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
It's lazy to cite stats that measure the performance of a goaltender who has literally one job: stop pucks? Goaltending isn't as nuanced as other positions. You don't get credit for being seen as more athletic if the less athletic guy stops as many pucks as you. You're not lauded as a great "two-way" goaltender. The eye test matters a lot less to goaltenders.

Sv% isn't perfect, there are better starts for measuring goaltending relative to the quality of shots faced but I don't have access to GSAx for the AHL -- as far as I know it's not tracked.

Great goaltending can also be a double edged sword, at times.

Think of all of those shitty Montreal teams that Carey Price carried to the playoffs/just outside the playoffs where drafts tend to drop off outside of the top 3 to 5 (or 7) picks. It's a godsend to have a netminder that can pretty much single handedly steal games for your team but that's not really what would be ideal for a rebuilding/up and coming team.

2 seasons ago, games where Mrazek played seemed like a 75-80% chance of losing. That's ideal tanking numbers. Stalock played well in the games he started otherwise the team would have had 3-5 more losses. Obviously finishing 3rd last still landed Bedard but I digress.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
When you go to the AHL website and filter by "qualified goalies", you find that the site ranks 48. It's not as if Commesso was 27th out of 30.
the difference between 48 and 30 with regards to this is not so significant as to warrant bolded emphasis. as mentioned previously by someone else, starters and backups aren't as distinct in the ahl as they are in the nhl. i really just used "starter" as a term of convenience, and my point doesn't turn on that specific phrase.

The difference between 17th and 27th? 0.5%. The difference between Commesso and the worst qualified goalie in the AHL was 3.4%.
sure, at the same time, only three goalies played as many or more games than commesso and had a worse save percentage. only five played at least 2000 minutes with a worse save percentage.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Has anyone mentioned how thin the Ice Hogs were last year? The Blackhawks were decimated with injuries and had to call up a ton of AHL players from Rockford thus leaving Rockford extremely thin..add in Rockford injuries. Blackhawks had the second most games lost to injury in the NHL...that means call ups...that means a weaker team in Rockford and using 3rd and 4th liners along with ECHL fill ins. Nashville had the 2nd LEAST games missed due to injury. In fact, there was a long stretch of the season where the Admirals didn't even have one call up to the NHL. Askarov had a much, much stronger and healthier team in front of him all season.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Askarov is well regarded. He's considered a top 1 or 2 goalie prospect by everyone. It's always the people most admittedly ignorant with the strongest opinions. Getting lots of "I've never heard of this guy before today, but I've decided he isn't good!" vibes fyi.

It's fine to think the Hawks aren't the best fit (especially if a central division premium price is paid) since they have an established 1-2 for the next couple years along with a couple of good (if not spectacular) goaltending prospects already. So they may not be the right team to blow a load to bring in an unproven at NHL level goaltender.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
Askarov may end up being great, who knows.
But I'm comfortable with Commesso and Gajan for our future netminding duties.

The Hawks' pipeline still has way too many holes to worry about possibly upgrading a position where they already have some decent strength.

McGroarty makes a lot more sense. We need forwards.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Askarov may end up being great, who knows.
But I'm comfortable with Commesso and Gajan for our future netminding duties.

The Hawks' pipeline still has way too many holes to worry about possibly upgrading a position where they already have some decent strength.

McGroarty makes a lot more sense. We need forwards.
Hall at 50% for rutger

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
If that's all it took - McGroarty would be long gone from the Peg.

Unfortunately for us (and RG) I think that Chevy will stay true to form and play the super long game where if he doesn't get what he wants, he'll hold onto RG.
He can't play that long of a game though. Pretty sure he only has 2 more years of college left until he becomes a UFA. And the closer the Jets wait until that point, the less they'll get for him in a trade.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
He can't play that long of a game though. Pretty sure he only has 2 more years of college left until he becomes a UFA. And the closer the Jets wait until that point, the less they'll get for him in a trade.
In the NHL not signing a RG level player for 2 years is what I would consider the long game. If RG goes 2 more years without being signed, the Jets get a 2nd round compensatory pick, so that's the theoretical floor of the value they get back. It sounds like RG wanted a guaranteed roster spot, so I understand why Chevy is taking this approach.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
One final point on Askarov stuff

He just turned 22 yrs old in June

His 20 yr old first season in North America
26-16-5 with 2.69 GAA and .911 Sv pct

His 21 yr old 2nd season in North America
30-13-1 with 2.39 GAA and .911 Sv pct

Trotz mucked things up not moving kid before extending Saros. He made it worse bringing in Wedgewood on top of it

The reality is Trotz for some reason has not been fan of several of Poille prospects since taking over and Askarov is most talented one he doesn't seem to want

Whatever the reason thus far the kid has shown at very young age he can play and is ready for NHL

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Askarov has put up numbers since he was in the U16s. But I guess all of those teams he was on were elite too...

I can see if he all of a sudden started doing this, but he's been doing it for years in Russia and now the states. People should just acknowledge the kid is good. Really, really good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad