Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I’ve mentioned this atleast three times but, if people really wanted to understand they’d read this

On February 8, 2024, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, through the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in coordination with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), issued a Final Rule to revise the Confidentiality of Substance Use Disorder Patient Records regulations. The regulations at 42 CFR part 2 (“Part 2”) protect the confidentiality of substance use disorder (SUD) treatment records. Part 2 protects “records of the identity, diagnosis, prognosis, or treatment of any patient which are maintained in connection with the performance of any program or activity relating to substance abuse education prevention, training, treatment, rehabilitation, or research, which is conducted, regulated, or directly or indirectly assisted by any department or agency of the United States.” Confidentiality protections help address concerns that discrimination and fear of prosecution deter people from entering treatment for SUD.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I’ve mentioned this atleast three times but, if people really wanted to understand they’d read this

On February 8, 2024, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, through the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) in coordination with the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), issued a Final Rule to revise the Confidentiality of Substance Use Disorder Patient Records regulations. The regulations at 42 CFR part 2 (“Part 2”) protect the confidentiality of substance use disorder (SUD) treatment records. Part 2 protects “records of the identity, diagnosis, prognosis, or treatment of any patient which are maintained in connection with the performance of any program or activity relating to substance abuse education prevention, training, treatment, rehabilitation, or research, which is conducted, regulated, or directly or indirectly assisted by any department or agency of the United States.” Confidentiality protections help address concerns that discrimination and fear of prosecution deter people from entering treatment for SUD.
HIPAA doesn’t apply here.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005

May I ask what this was directed at?

I'm genuinely interested. I have been under the impression that the CBA in some way granted teams a bit more leeway in disclosing certain items. (i.e, upper body, lower body, loves to pack nasal passages with cocaine, has trouble sleeping, etc.) Sometimes players will voluntarily disclose what is going on, Girard is a great example of this.

I think of the NHL Players Assistance Program as being two completely different programs. There is one program where a player on their own accord reaches out and wants help. This is what appears to have happened with Girard. Then there is the program where the team refers the player to the program in accordance with guidelines set forth by the CBA. I feel the first program has a great chance at success. I feel the second version is geared solely towards keeping the player active long enough to get through their current contract and then f*** 'em. There are no serious consequences until a player pops positive for coke four f***ing times. It's bullshit. No other industry puts up with that crap but sports and entertainment.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

Attachments

• IMG_1987.png
    IMG_1987.png
    244.4 KB · Views: 3

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
People are often way too concerned about "winning" the trade when it comes to trading a star. It is also possible to "lose" the trade but the team comes out on the winning side as a whole. If trading that star player allows you to fill other holes in the lineup by getting two or three other very good players through a combination of player(s) acquired in the trade, re-signing a player you wouldn't be able to when keeping the star player, or through FA then who cares if the team actually "wins" the trade itself. The team could gain a lot by just being more balanced. This is what I would expect from a Mikko trade. Get a very good player (not a star or at least not yet) in the trade or draft picks that could get such a player from another team, re-sign Drouin, and then maybe even have extra cap space to do something else that would also helps the team out.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
It’s specifically written into the CBA. Players sign over their rights and teams are completely free to comment on anything that keeps them from playing.
That's what I was thinking when I said that teams were allowed to disclose certain things...i.e., Upper body, lower body, too much cocaine, etc.

Reactions: henchman21

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The VAST majority of us are glad to see Keefe gone, we wanted him gone after he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal, we understand that Tavares got a knee to skull but even still a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead you can't do that.

As for Marner I can only speak for myself but I'm VERY intrigued to see what moves Treliving and Berube make, I fully expect to see at least one of Zadorov or Tanev on this roster next year because Treliving already tried to land but when they were with Calgary so I think at least one of Zadorov or Tanev will end up in Toronto.

Marner is an odd one because I'm not as against a core change as I was, but at the same time there is a part of me that wonders if you gave this core an actual goaltender what could they do? because for as much talk as there has been about how this group can't win they have also never had a real goaltender.

What could team that can score like the Leafs can do if they had a Saros, Markstrom, Ullmark or even a Binnington?

I'd be tempted to find out because I'm not really interested in trading Marner just to trade him.

I think if they added say Markstrom, and then a guy like Pesce in free agency I think they'd go far.

I don't think they are far away.
My friend, the Leafs problem in the playoffs has not been goaltending. That team can't score when it matters, and sans Nylander the big boys disappear.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Honestly, you really do not want Binnington. He is not a good goalie anymore. Wouldn't be any different then Samsonov.

Ullmark would be the best target for the Leafs for the same reasons I think he'd be a good target for Colorado if they were to make an upgrade on Georgiev(They wont). He's very accustomed to running a true 1A/1B system at this point with Swayman, so you can run the same thing with him and Woll next year to see if Woll perhaps can handle closer to a starters workload and maybe you dont have to keep Ullmark beyond the last year of his deal.
Honestly think Binnington is better than Ullmark - he's just a head case. That may or may not fair well in Toronto.
The Binner contract works way better for Toronto as well. Guessing Ullmark will want 5-6 years and around 6-7 per.

My friend, the Leafs problem in the playoffs has not been goaltending. That team can't score when it matters, and sans Nylander the big boys disappear.
Not sure I agree. That Boston series came down to a goalie battle and they lost it. Swayman played out of his mind the Leafs can score.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly think Binnington is better than Ullmark - he's just a head case. That may or may not fair well in Toronto.
The Binner contract works way better for Toronto as well. Guessing Ullmark will want 5-6 years and around 6-7 per.

Not sure I agree. That Boston series came down to a goalie battle and they lost it. Swayman played out of his mind the Leafs can score.
Toronto scored 12 goals in 7 games, 25% of which came in game 2. How is it anything BUT a scoring problem?

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Toronto scored 12 goals in 7 games, 25% of which came in game 2. How is it anything BUT a scoring problem?
Swayman was unreal during that series (and whole playoffs really). Toronto was ~9 goals under their expected for the series. Not that they deserved to win, but a bit more normal goaltending that series could have easily flipped.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I still think Torontos biggest issue is that they severely lack puck moving talent on the back end. Rielly is basically the only decent puck mover they have and he’s also super weak defensively.

Reactions: Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I still think Torontos biggest issue is that they severely lack puck moving talent on the back end. Rielly is basically the only decent puck mover they have and he’s also super weak defensively.
I'd say Toronto's biggest issue is being in the Atlantic division. :laugh:

I'm only semi joking... they had to deal with Boston this whole time, Tampa's peak, and Florida surging up and surpassing them. They probably would have found more playoff success in a different division or setup (this doesn't excuse 21 though). I don't think they would have won a Cup or anything but at least won a round a bit more often.

I still think the biggest mistake they made was not going all in the day they signed Tavares. They set themselves up at that point to have cap issues, but had the primary pieces to push. Instead they sat on their hands waiting for the kids to mature. By they time they did, their salaries were so high there wasn't enough depth.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Swayman was unreal during that series (and whole playoffs really). Toronto was ~9 goals under their expected for the series. Not that they deserved to win, but a bit more normal goaltending that series could have easily flipped.
Perhaps, but this isn't a new trend.

Last year vs Florida they scored 10 goals in 5 games.

Two years ago they only score 1 goal in game 7 vs Tampa Bay on home ice.

2021 they scored 18 goals in 7 games vs Montreal, 9 of which came in two blowout wins and 9 in the remaining 5 games.

2020 vs Columbus they scored 10 goals in 5 games.

2019 vs Boston they scored 17 goals in 7 games.

The team gets shut down in the playoffs. Their highest scoring series of the last 6 years was vs Tampa Bay - THAT was the year they got let down by goaltending IMO.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012

2021 they scored 18 goals in 7 games vs Montreal, 9 of which came in two blowout wins and 9 in the remaining 5 games.

The team gets shut down in the playoffs. Their highest scoring series of the last 6 years was vs Tampa Bay - THAT was the year they got let down by goaltending IMO.
I'm saying they have faced good goaltending more than anything else.

2024 - Swayman (for 6 games)
2023- Vasi/Bobrovsky
2022 - Vasi
2021 - Price
2020 - Korpisalo (who was on an absurd heater)
2019 - Rask

Swayman looks like the next elite goalie in the NHL and outside Korpi, that's the who's who list of goalies over the past decade. Korpi (and Elvis) were great in that series too.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I guess I just don’t see how McCabe, Edmunson, Lyubushkin, and Benoit being 4/6 of your defense isn’t a gigantic problem from a transition standpoint. The core guys could definitely do a little better, but at the same time there catching grenades from their dmen, chasing down cleared pucks, or it’s getting iced 80% of the game.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I guess I just don’t see how McCabe, Edmunson, Lyubushkin, and Benoit being 4/6 of your defense isn’t a gigantic problem from a transition standpoint. The core guys could definitely do a little better, but at the same time there catching grenades from their dmen, chasing down cleared pucks, or it’s getting iced 80% of the game.
I will never understand how anybody thinks he's remotely good.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I will never understand how anybody thinks he's remotely good.
He’s not good defensively and he’s horrific with the puck on his stick. Why would you want him on the ice with Matthews or Nylander? You’re just tying an anvil to those guys.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
He’s not good defensively and he’s horrific with the puck on his stick. Why would you want him on the ice with Matthews or Nylander? You’re just tying an anvil to those guys.
Teams just seemingly talk themselves into him being a passible NHL player... and he's just not. He's decent at exactly one thing, zone entry denials. Outside of that he's a middle pairing AHLer. :laugh:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm saying they have faced good goaltending more than anything else.

2024 - Swayman (for 6 games)
2023- Vasi/Bobrovsky
2022 - Vasi
2021 - Price
2020 - Korpisalo (who was on an absurd heater)
2019 - Rask

Swayman looks like the next elite goalie in the NHL and outside Korpi, that's the who's who list of goalies over the past decade. Korpi (and Elvis) were great in that series too.
Again I don't disagree but you have to find a way to break through. You're going to play elite goalies, this core has shown time and time again they can't beat them so why run it back with them? Swayman, Shesterkin, Bobrovsky and Vasilevskiy aren't going anywhere.
Agreed here but the defending and goaltending hasn't actually been the cause of their demise. We can say the defensemen don't transition well enough, but that's not really the argument right now though it is a big reason why those forwards struggle - though William Nylander performing exactly the same as his regular season totals throws a wrench into that argument.

Reactions: henchman21
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad