Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
It's just utter insanity what Jared Bednar does to this guy and the top stars now.

He's going to run them into the ground next season once again and they're going to be completely out of gas come April because he doesn't trust his 8 of his 12 forwards to take regular shifts.
To be fair he kinda had to during the regular season with Slowhansen half-assing it all over the ice. And then the bottom fell out of Colton’s game once he wore down and LOC was lost. One would hope he’d try like hell to balance out the ice time with MacKinnon, Mittelstadt, and Colton healthy and fully rested going into the season, and especially with Mittelstadt getting a full camp and plenty of time to adjust to the new system.

Where I really fault Bednar is the PK (yes I know :deadhorse ). He needs to spread it out more so he doesn’t have to rely on quicker defensemen to execute it.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
To be fair he kinda had to during the regular season with Slowhansen half-assing it all over the ice. And then the bottom fell out of Colton’s game once he wore down and LOC was lost. One would hope he’d try like hell to balance out the ice time with MacKinnon, Mittelstadt, and Colton healthy and fully rested going into the season, and especially with Mittelstadt getting a full camp and plenty of time to adjust to the new system.

Where I really fault Bednar is the PK (yes I know :deadhorse ). He needs to spread it out more so he doesn’t have to rely on quicker defensemen to execute it.
But he doesn't HAVE to during the regular season. So the Avs end up a #3 seed or a WC seed. Just get in with a healthy, rested group.

Nathan MacKinnon by the end of it played the equivalent of 109 hockey games while Jason Robertson played 95. And we wondered why the Avs were getting skated out of their own building the last half of game 6.

MacKinnon and Rantanen should not break 20 minutes next season and Makar should not break 23. IDGAF about regular season games. Bednar needs to realize it doesn't matter, the regular season is not what we play for. But I know he's way too damn stubborn and we'll see MacKinnon lead the league in ice time again with Rantanen for forwards. Then they'll look gassed come playoffs. Rinse and repeat until Bednar is gone.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not disagreeing with you but would just like to see him in a new situation before writing him off completely. Look at Drouin. There's lots of cases where guys look like crap in one situation and change completely in a new one, even if the signs aren't there.

To me the biggest thing is his skating. He's got the checking ability and the natural talent to find a scoring touch again if he can get up and down the ice efficiently. That's what I'd drill into him.

Needless to say I wouldn't pay a high price, but he's not a bad potential low-risk pickup as like a secondary or tertiary move this offseason
Drouin has shown his skill before though. He had injuries and the general stress of Montreal… but he clearly had shown a high level of play in the NHL before. Nuke even showed flashes early in his career too. He got votes as an 18 year old for the Calder. Kakko has yet to really even flash. I’m not saying he can’t be a NHLer, but if he was going to be a good top 6 player, he’d likely be showing more now. Thats not saying it is impossible for him to hit that level, it is just pretty unlikely.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Drouin has shown his skill before though. He had injuries and the general stress of Montreal… but he clearly had shown a high level of play in the NHL before. Nuke even showed flashes early in his career too. He got votes as an 18 year old for the Calder. Kakko has yet to really even flash. I’m not saying he can’t be a NHLer, but if he was going to be a good top 6 player, he’d likely be showing more now. Thats not saying it is impossible for him to hit that level, it is just pretty unlikely.
I'm not really expecting him to be that. Just a solid 3rd line winger with some offensive upside that can contribute in the top 6 when injuries hit. Not that Kakko is the guy but that was an issue for us this season, not enough skill in the bottom 6. I know it's a philosophy of this team but it needs to change IMO

BaconNater

Jul 4, 2011
CO
Not that I'm expecting much excitement out of the Avs off-season but atleast there is always fun things happening in the next few weeks.

..but hiding behind that excitement is the fear of bad things. For example headlines like "Avalanche interested in Ian Cole" absolutely rattles me to the core.

• Haha
Reactions: niwotsblessing

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
So are we signing that Sward guy?
We invited him to prospect camp a few years ago. Think it might’ve been summer of 2021. Then NSH stole his rights from us by drafting him in following draft. Fast forward 3 years we trade back for him. I’m thinking they should, but what do I know.

AvStock

Mar 15, 2022
It's just utter insanity what Jared Bednar does to this guy and the top stars now.

He's going to run them into the ground next season once again and they're going to be completely out of gas come April because he doesn't trust his 8 of his 12 forwards to take regular shifts.
Bednar is an extremely frustrating moron

Reactions: Alienblood

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
That doesn't mean he's infallible, but he for sure is not an idiot.
mWO7WiN.gif

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
But he doesn't HAVE to during the regular season. So the Avs end up a #3 seed or a WC seed. Just get in with a healthy, rested group.

Nathan MacKinnon by the end of it played the equivalent of 109 hockey games while Jason Robertson played 95. And we wondered why the Avs were getting skated out of their own building the last half of game 6.

MacKinnon and Rantanen should not break 20 minutes next season and Makar should not break 23. IDGAF about regular season games. Bednar needs to realize it doesn't matter, the regular season is not what we play for. But I know he's way too damn stubborn and we'll see MacKinnon lead the league in ice time again with Rantanen for forwards. Then they'll look gassed come playoffs. Rinse and repeat until Bednar is gone.
I get it but making the postseason as a top seed and just not making it at all is a much thinner line than we’d all like to admit. Look at how close Vegas came to missing entirely.

In the end there are things Bednar can do to lighten the load on his top players, but really it’s up to management to get him a roster with proper depth. They simply have not done that in all but one season. This year they did but had to wait until the deadline in order to do so.

All I see is a guy who, for now, has zero Cups.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
In all seriousness, Bednar may have the best "plan A" in the league: his game plan is based on advanced stats and players coming from other teams are on record saying they were blown away by it.

The issue is when it doesn't work, "plan B" is actually "plan A but try harder".

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
In all seriousness, Bednar may have the best "plan A" in the league: his game plan is based on advanced stats and players coming from other teams are on record saying they were blown away by it.

The issue is when it doesn't work, "plan B" is actually "plan A but try harder".
A move that the Avs could do that doesn't impact the cap is changes to the assistants: it brings in fresh ideas and reminds everyone that failure is not acceptable.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Terrible value by Seravalli. Suspect he ends up on a Carolina or a Nashville but I like Marner for Chicago. Insulate Bedard with a high level playmaker to help him get his top tier shot off more. They’re not competing for a Cup so his playoff woes matter a lot less
They need to surround him with a respected vet and pro. Someone like Perry maybe?

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not THAT bad of a proposal. The Leafs need real defensemen. What are people expecting for Marner? A top 10 defensemen?

The Leafs are probably losing any Marner trade value wise. If it makes their team more balanced, though? It might make them better.

Seth Jones would be the Leafs best defensemen since Tomas Kaberle.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
It's not THAT bad of a proposal. The Leafs need real defensemen. What are people expecting for Marner? A top 10 defensemen?

The Leafs are probably losing any Marner trade value wise. If it makes their team more balanced, though? It might make them better.

I mean I'm not expecting a top 10 dman from Marner, but a slightly better contract than Nurse for Marner wouldn't be good for them either.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

This isn't the Seth Jones from 8 years ago. Jones now is basically OEL 2.0 and is making 9.5M AAV for 6 more years. That's heavy negative value.

Dude peaked ultra early and started regressing in his mid 20's.

If you trade Marner for another big contract the other player better be good. Otherwise just take the cap space and build a defense with that.

Reactions: MacKaRant
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad