Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
If you really honestly believe that all the NHL contracts are the exact same other than "minor" details then I don't know what to tell you. That's like saying real estate contracts are all same. While on the surface yes they are pretty similar, there are always little things like refrigerator, washer, dryer are included with sale. Or mold in basement will be treated prior to X date or sale is void.

The "minor" details are huge. You're right there probably isn't a clause directly relating to being able to do nose candy at will or anything like it. But they could have negotiated something revolving around the PAP not being grounds for contract termination. Not likely, but maybe. Without seeing his actual contract we have no idea what's in it, or what "minor" details need to be considered.

This is going to be my last post on this topic. I'm sick of arguing about it. I think some posters, not just you, need to accept that straight up contact termination is the absolute least likely scenario. Not impossible but ike less 5% chance. The Avs more than likely are done with Nuke and will more than likely have some sort of cap implications revolving around it.
OIP.2-bEvSmza0U1FAG26RxbnwHaC9

Page 40

(a) Standard Player's Contract. The standard form SPC annexed hereto as Exhibit1 will be the sole form of employment contract used for all Player signings after the execution of this Agreement. The standard form SPC may not be amended or modified in any manner whatsoever. Filed and approved 2005 SPCs that are valid and effective at the time of execution of this Agreement will remain valid and effective until their expiration, as deemed modified by this Agreement, including the Transition Rules attached as Exhibit 16 hereto, and shall be deemed for all purposes to constitute an "SPC" within the meaning of this Agreement.

The minor details are the blanks on 310.. things like years, money who it is between, trade clauses, etc. This is a CBA thing. Teams cannot carve out special rules for players. It is a negotiated Standard Player's Contract where all parties are bound by the CBA.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
He's clearly at least the 3rd most marketed player on the team behind MacK and Makar.

I get the appeal of the trading of Rants, but it is just not a realistic thing to have happen.
Yes, I get it, you disagree

I think it is unrealistic because I think the Avs are too risk averse to gamble on a large trade like that with a known commodity unless their hand is forced like the Duchene drama.
I simply don't think Mikko is this powerful draw that folks are arguing he is. Definitely not enough to not consider an offer for (aka untouchable).

If Landeskog wasn't out the last 2 years he would be above Mikko on the marketing but that is neither here nor there currently.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
If the Avs are making moves based on which players are popular and put butts in the seats, then they’ve lost the plot.

Want butts in the seats? Win games. Because if 4-5 years from now, if we’re a bottom 5 team, Rantanen ain’t putting butts in the seats.

Now, on the other hand, trading Rantanen doesn’t necessarily make you better.

So I’m completely on board with keeping Rantanen if the management doesn’t feel like a trade makes us better and they have other avenues. But I can’t get behind a PR-motivated decision here.

He isn’t the face of the franchise. Whatever decisions need to be made, need to be made with the health of the team as priority 1. If the team is good and winning, seats will be filled.
If you suck, seats will be empty.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yes, I get it, you disagree

I think it is unrealistic because I think the Avs are too risk averse to gamble on a large trade like that with a known commodity unless their hand is forced like the Duchene drama.
I simply don't think Mikko is this powerful draw that folks are arguing he is. Definitely not enough to not consider an offer for (aka untouchable).

If Landeskog wasn't out the last 2 years he would be above Mikko on the marketing but that is neither here nor there currently.
There’s just way too much risk from a PR standpoint trading Mikko. At worst he’s the 4th most popular player on the team and is top 5 at his position. It’d be a PR nightmare if they FO messed up a Mikko trade during a contention window.

I’m not saying as a whole they shouldn’t consider trading Mikko, but the PR side is definitely a big reason the FO won’t move him.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I just don't see Mikko as a face of the franchise while MacK, Makar, and even Landeskog are in the building, but maybe there is more interest in him from the fans than I see.

He's easily a great player and fans know that, but I just don't see him as a guy who could leave and interest or ticket sales would take much of a hit.

If you can trade him and 1) keep the team competitive and 2) make the team deeper and extend the 29+8 window, I don't know how you don't at least seriously consider it.

My very scientific study: the jerseys people wore at Avs games I went to (current players only):

MacKinnon/Makar
Landeskog
Rantanen
Everyone else far behind.

Rantanen isn't the face of the franchise at all, but fans do like him. I wouldn't say the attendance is dependant on him being in the lineup or not tho.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Website glitch lmao. I saw the quote after I posted and deleted but I honestly have no idea what it was from. Something about Alex Kerfoot :laugh:

Also, today I found out people get notifications when they're quoted? I don't and didn't know it was even a thing l.

Yeah It's a little red 1 beside the bell which is at the top of the website.

You also get alerts if somebody gives your post a like or something

Reactions: Alienblood

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah It's a little red 1 beside the bell which is at the top of the website.

You also get alerts if somebody gives your post a like or something
So are Leaf fans excited for the offseason? New coach, possibly no Marner at training camp...

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
My very scientific study: the jerseys people wore at Avs games I went to (current players only):

MacKinnon/Makar
Landeskog
Rantanen
Everyone else far behind.

Rantanen isn't the face of the franchise at all, but fans do like him. I wouldn't say the attendance is dependant on him being in the lineup or not tho.
This definitely tracks for jersey popularity for the Avs. Noticed it in Vancouver too (though Sakic seems to still be No 1 at those games).

In theory, r/hockeyjerseys is mostly collectors who you’d expect to be more willing to go outside the box than a casual fan. Outside of the game worn ones, those 4 in that order are the most common current players you see pop up (most of the old ones are Sakic/Foppa/Roy too).

I’ve been on the trade Mikko to have a deeper team train for a long time but he clearly is a very popular player and losing him would ruffle the feathers of some casual fans. Not sure how much it would affect attendance but the NHL is a gate driven league still and Kroenke is running a business not a ‘get me the Cup no matter what’ pet project like Foley seems to

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don’t know about PR, but I would love to be in the room to see the reaction when MacFarland tells Nathan MacKinnon they’re trading Mikko Rantanen while Nate is in his prime.

Yeah explaining a Mikko trade to Mack would certainly be a fun conversation to have assuming that it wasn’t someone like Brady coming back.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
While all this armchair GM action is fine and well, the fact of the matter is that we do not know what Cmac knows. Landy may or may not be back. Nuke may or may not be back, and if he isn't there is some currently unidentified impact on the cap.

If Landy does return, a contract is going to need to be moved, and Drouin likely loses his spot as well. One can make an argument that Nuke + $1M equals Landy's spot. But it would cost more than that in every year aside from 24-25 because of buyout ramifications.

Personally, I can't see Mikko being moved to a place like Ottawa, even if Brady was the perfect trade target. It strikes me that the only possibility is a sit-down with his agent, and setting up a sign and trade ( giving him an 8th year) with a team Mikko would want. Carolina was mentioned by @Richard88 as a winning, Finn-friendly landing spot. Mikko would be 35 at the end of that contract and he does not strike me as a player who'll play past 35 just for the love of the game.

My opinion is that it would be irresponsible to sign Mikko for more than $11M AAV. This might get done if they take prospective offers for 7 years and stretch the same total over 8 years. If Mikko wants more than that, Mikko - by necessity - becomes an internal rental for next year. It is a virtual given that Nuke's termination is going to eat more cap than anyone wants. Mikko at $13M, plus a Nuke penalty, equals a bottom 6 of not particularly talented AHL players and a Georgie / Juice tandem in net. @The Mars Volchenkov correctly posits that Mac would be pissed if Mikko goes. TMV is closer to the team than all but 2 or 3 people here. Maybe that is true. But I have to wonder about Nate's state of mind regarding 2nd round exits for the rest of his career if his linemate is making $500K more than him.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
prepping for that 8 year extension to be announced July 1st.
I'll still love Mikko. I'll still love the Avs.

The only thing that'll change will be my expectations moving forward. I'll have none other than to make the playoffs and occasionally the second round. Even that will be a tall task in a few years. I'm really worried this season was the harbinger of the end for Mikko and it's all going to go down-hill as his skill decreases along with his give a shit.

Yeah explaining a Mikko trade to Mack would certainly be a fun conversation to have assuming that it wasn’t someone like Brady coming back.
Are we sure of that? MacK might be getting tired of dragging Mikko's ass up and down 200 feet of ice.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So are Leaf fans excited for the offseason? New coach, possibly no Marner at training camp...

The VAST majority of us are glad to see Keefe gone, we wanted him gone after he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal, we understand that Tavares got a knee to skull but even still a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead you can't do that.

As for Marner I can only speak for myself but I'm VERY intrigued to see what moves Treliving and Berube make, I fully expect to see at least one of Zadorov or Tanev on this roster next year because Treliving already tried to land but when they were with Calgary so I think at least one of Zadorov or Tanev will end up in Toronto.

Marner is an odd one because I'm not as against a core change as I was, but at the same time there is a part of me that wonders if you gave this core an actual goaltender what could they do? because for as much talk as there has been about how this group can't win they have also never had a real goaltender.

What could team that can score like the Leafs can do if they had a Saros, Markstrom, Ullmark or even a Binnington?

I'd be tempted to find out because I'm not really interested in trading Marner just to trade him.

I think if they added say Markstrom, and then a guy like Pesce in free agency I think they'd go far.

I don't think they are far away.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Are we sure of that? MacK might be getting tired of dragging Mikko's ass up and down 200 feet of ice.
The lazy narrative is getting out of hand here. I mean it wasn’t great this year… but it’s been 1 year really where it’s been noticeably bad.

I’m sure Mack would much rather have Mikko on his line than some prospect or young winger who is basically guaranteed to be significantly worse player than Mikko.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
The VAST majority of us are glad to see Keefe gone, we wanted him gone after he blew a 3-1 series lead to Montreal, we understand that Tavares got a knee to skull but even still a good coach doesn't blow a 3-1 series lead you can't do that.

As for Marner I can only speak for myself but I'm VERY intrigued to see what moves Treliving and Berube make, I fully expect to see at least one of Zadorov or Tanev on this roster next year because Treliving already tried to land but when they were with Calgary so I think at least one of Zadorov or Tanev will end up in Toronto.

Marner is an odd one because I'm not as against a core change as I was, but at the same time there is a part of me that wonders if you gave this core an actual goaltender what could they do? because for as much talk as there has been about how this group can't win they have also never had a real goaltender.

What could team that can score like the Leafs can do if they had a Saros, Markstrom, Ullmark or even a Binnington?

I'd be tempted to find out because I'm not really interested in trading Marner just to trade him.

I think if they added say Markstrom, and then a guy like Pesce in free agency I think they'd go far.

I don't think they are far away.

Honestly, you really do not want Binnington. He is not a good goalie anymore. Wouldn't be any different then Samsonov.

Ullmark would be the best target for the Leafs for the same reasons I think he'd be a good target for Colorado if they were to make an upgrade on Georgiev(They wont). He's very accustomed to running a true 1A/1B system at this point with Swayman, so you can run the same thing with him and Woll next year to see if Woll perhaps can handle closer to a starters workload and maybe you dont have to keep Ullmark beyond the last year of his deal.

MacKaRant

Sponsor
Jul 27, 2021
It is hyperbole he was that bad... but even with the effort he gave, he was a 100 point player.
I agree to compare Mikko to PLD is hyperbole and I acknowledge he's currently one of the league's best wingers. I just don't think he puts butts in seats and, judging by his current trajectory, I can see a scenario where we're getting negative value out of his next contract relatively soon after he signs it. Not every NHLer ages gracefully.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Honestly, you really do not want Binnington. He is not a good goalie anymore. Wouldn't be any different then Samsonov.

Ullmark would be the best target for the Leafs for the same reasons I think he'd be a good target for Colorado if they were to make an upgrade on Georgiev(They wont). He's very accustomed to running a true 1A/1B system at this point with Swayman, so you can run the same thing with him and Woll next year to see if Woll perhaps can handle closer to a starters workload and maybe you dont have to keep Ullmark beyond the last year of his deal.

Woll could be the #1 guy the talent is clearly there the question is health.

As for Binnington being no different than Samsonov I disagree I think Binnington believes in himself, maybe even a bit to much, but I'd rather have somebody that believes in themselves to much than somebody that is SHOCKINGLY mentally weak.

It is unbelievable how easy it is to break Samsonov I've never seen anything like it and Jack Campbell was a Leaf, that dude would be on the verge erge of tears whenever he lost a game regardless of if it was October or April.

I don't think Binnington would do that

Reactions: Chiarelli

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
So have we traded Mikko for Brady yet or what
As much as I'd love it, and to be honest even if CMac loved it, I really doubt Staios would.

I'm just kinda done with our core/coach combo. As we still have the whole summer, I'm hopeful that we shake up the core. After we move into the season depending on results, my attention will probably turn to Bednar. He's got to do more than he's done. Skating harder is not the answer to every problem.

niwotsblessing

May 1, 2010
City of Holy Faith
I don’t know about PR, but I would love to be in the room to see the reaction when MacFarland tells Nathan MacKinnon they’re trading Mikko Rantanen while Nate is in his prime.
CMac: Great news, Nate, we figured out how we are keeping your friend Jonathan Drouin on the team!

Dogg: That's amazing Chris! I'm so happy to be playing with JD, he's a great friend. How'd you pull it off?

CMac:

Dogg:

CMac: We had to trade Mikko...

Dogg: {trashes CMac's office}

Reactions: cinchronicity

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
CMac: Great news, Nate, we figured out how we are keeping your friend Jonathan Drouin on the team!

Dogg: That's amazing Chris! I'm so happy to be playing with JD, he's a great friend. How'd you pull it off?

CMac:

Dogg:

CMac: We had to trade Mikko...

Dogg: {trashes CMac's office}
I mean, if Mikko was in any way contributing to driving his own line, I could see this reaction. As it stands...not so much. No winger is so important that they need to cost twice as much as your 2C and be pinned to your 1C to be effective. It's bullshit and everyone knows it but most are afraid to speak it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad