Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
There should be no reason why they have to buy Nichushkin out.

I’m sorry, but this is where you have to be ruthless as an organization.

Go back, collect all the documentation from all the times this guy used, or missed practice/games do to whatever the hell he’s been doing and use those facts to terminate him.

I guarantee there’s been a lot of shit that’s gone on behind closed doors in addition to the suspension.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

Go back, collect all the documentation from all the times this guy used, or missed practice/games do to whatever the hell he’s been doing and use those facts to terminate him.

I guarantee there’s been a lot of shit that’s gone on behind closed doors in addition to the suspension.
you keep saying this despite all evidence pointing to an outright termination not being a possibility.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
you keep saying this despite all evidence pointing to an outright termination not being a possibility.
It appears that the reason the reporters keep saying that is because it's not a possiblity right now, because once he's in the PAP you can't terminate. Nothing stops them from initiating it after he's reinstated (if that time comes, remember there's no guarantee he's reinstated in 6 months, that's just when he's first eligible to apply for it).

Reactions: Frenchy

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Didn't the Avs still sell out games after Forsberg left lol
While icing a roster that included Joe Sakic, Rob Blake, and Milan Hejduk, yes they did. Those guys were the type of player that Henchy is talking about. Are they "franchise caliber players"? Only Sakic is/was in that group, imo; but they were marketable faces that the fans knew and would pay money to come see.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
There's no way you trade Mikko and "win the trade". You trade Mikko to better balance your roster, that's where you "win".
There is a perfect example of trading an older almost UFA star. For a younger star guy super recently. Florida traded their 100pts soon to be UFA star for a younger star. Seemed to work out nicely for Florida.

I understand this is only one example, but you can absolutely trade a 100 pts star player and still come out on top.

If we traded Rants 1 for 1 for Brady Tkachuk, we will win that deal. I'd even throw in another decent player or prospect and we'd still win because we'd get a damn good younger player, and extra cap space. And you can't tell me that Brady wouldn't hit 90+ points playing with 29.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
It appears that the reason the reporters keep saying that is because it's not a possiblity right now, because once he's in the PAP you can't terminate. Nothing stops them from initiating it after he's reinstated (if that time comes, remember there's no guarantee he's reinstated in 6 months, that's just when he's first eligible to apply for it).
Which will result in NHLPA grievences and the possibility the Avs wind up with a cap hit anyway.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Which will result in NHLPA grievences and the possibility the Avs wind up with a cap hit anyway.
Not a reason to not do it, imo. He can't come back. 2 postseasons in a row, 3x within the last 13 months, that he's deliberately chosen to participate in something that directly resulted in him being unavailable to play. The trust isn't just gone--it's disintegrated.

Reactions: Frenchy

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Didn't the Avs still sell out games after Forsberg left lol
For one season, right after the lockout. Attendance dropped dramatically over the following years despite still having Sakic and Hejduk. We also see that when Sakic retired, the attendance fell further despite the following year's team actually being significantly better (under 14k and worst in Avs' history). Whether we like it or not, names and ticket sales matter. The Avs are not as dependent on it as other organizations, but KSE still doesn't want to lose their shirt.

Do people forget that a Coyotes player was fully terminated for just a video of coke?

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For one season, right after the lockout. Attendance dropped dramatically over the following years despite still having Sakic and Hejduk. We also see that when Sakic retired, the attendance fell further despite the following year's team actually being significantly better (under 14k and worst in Avs' history). Whether we like it or not, names and ticket sales matter. The Avs are not as dependent on it as other organizations, but KSE still doesn't want to lose their shirt.

I'm just being flip, but if KSE lost their shirt, and the Avs' attendance was listed as the primary reason, I'd have some serious questions...after all, they've got some WalMart money at their disposal (among money from a multitude of different avenues)...and I know it's more complicated than that, just pointing out that the guy that runs the place is married to someone who was, independent of himself, a billionaire already.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
There is a perfect example of trading an older almost UFA star. For a younger star guy super recently. Florida traded their 100pts soon to be UFA star for a younger star. Seemed to work out nicely for Florida.

I understand this is only one example, but you can absolutely trade a 100 pts star player and still come out on top.

If we traded Rants 1 for 1 for Brady Tkachuk, we will win that deal. I'd even throw in another decent player or prospect and we'd still win because we'd get a damn good younger player, and extra cap space. And you can't tell me that Brady wouldn't hit 90+ points playing with 29.
Why would Ottawa trade their captain for a guy that isn’t guaranteed to re sign with them?

And why would Mikko give up the chance at UFA for Ottawa?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The Avs can try whatever they want, but the league isn't going to let the Avs circumvent the cap on a fraudulent baseless termination attempt.

There is literally no grounds for outright contract termination. Just because you enter the PAP multiple times doesn't mean your contract can be terminated. Unless there is a clause that says that. And I'd venture to guess that there really isn't something like that or I feel like that would be out in the open at this point.

The only real options the Avs have are, let him play, try to trade him, or terminate via a buyout. It's a complete pipe dream to think that an outright termination due to breach of contract is an option at this time. Maybe if he f***s up again, but not currently.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can they do that though? Or does time stand still until the 6 month suspension is up?

This I'm not sure of. I dont know if you can buy a player out while he's in the NHL Players Assistsnce program, or suspended.

I'm pretty sure they could trade him. But don't know about the buyout. Cap Friendly doesn't say anything about it not being allowed and they usually do a good job about rules, but this is a pretty unique situation so it wouldn't be surprising if they don't know either.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
While icing a roster that included Joe Sakic, Rob Blake, and Milan Hejduk, yes they did. Those guys were the type of player that Henchy is talking about. Are they "franchise caliber players"? Only Sakic is/was in that group, imo; but they were marketable faces that the fans knew and would pay money to come see.
Well, sure, and this team would be icing a roster that includes Nathan MacKinnon, Cale Makar, and as it stands, Gabriel Landeskog. It's fairly apples to apples.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Why would Ottawa trade their captain for a guy that isn’t guaranteed to re sign with them?
Why would Calgary trade their star 24 year old for a soon to be UFA star?

Brady doesn't seem super thrilled in Ottawa, he saw what getting traded out of Calgary did for his brother.

It's not a likely scenario but also not impossible.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The Avs try whatever they want, but the league isn't going to let the Avs circumvent the cap on a fraudulent baseless termination attempt.

There is literally no grounds for outright contract termination. Just because you enter the PAP multiple times doesn't mean your contract can be terminated. Unless there is a clause that says that. And I'd venture to guess that there really isn't something like that or I feel like that would be out in the open at this point.

The only real options the Avs have are, let him play, try to trade him, or terminate via a buyout. It's a complete pipe dream to think that an outright termination due to breach of contract is an option at this time. Maybe if he f***s up again, but not currently.

This is just wrong, but okay.

The foundation has been laid for them to terminate for reasons that he violated his SPC. I know we differ on this, but I feel it's pretty clear based on what CMac said in the press conference last week ("It's a privilege to play in this league, and when you sign on the dotted line you're agreeing to adhere to certain things...") That's not just some statement he made.

Feel free to continue believing it, I have my belief that they're not going to just sit and accept this. They may not be able to do anything right now, but they're not going to just accept not being able to do anything at all.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle

Do people forget that a Coyotes player was fully terminated for just a video of coke?

Conversly, the Kings were given 17 years of a termination cap hit when Richards got caught smuggling oxy.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

Where are those numbers from? HockeyDB has annual attendance figures as:

05-06: 18007
06-07: 17612
07-08: 16842
08-09: 15429
09-10: 13947

It climbs back up after that though the 16-17 season is an abomination and I'm not sure how exactly they even averaged 13K that season but the drop-off IMO has more to do with the Avs not being all that good than it did Peter Forsberg leaving. There are two missed playoff seasons in there, one of which was horrific in 08-09.

Reactions: MacKaRant

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Conversly, the Kings were given 17 years of a termination cap hit when Richards got caught smuggling oxy.
I'm not at all saying the Avs get out with any damage (I'd expect in the realm of 1.5-2.5m for the remaining term)... but terminations have gone through with less.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Brady doesn't seem super thrilled in Ottawa, he saw what getting traded out of Calgary did for his brother.

Matthew didn’t want to be in Calgary and wouldn’t sign? Mikko would re sign here that isn’t a similar scenario.

Also Brady has zero leverage right now with how long he’s signed for. He could force his way out but clearly we aren’t there yet.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

They're almost certainly still going to get hit with a cap penalty though, even if they do terminate. Just look at Richards termination and Perry last year.

If we go by Perry, he had a $4M cap hit and the penalty for termination I believe was $2M. If it ends up the same for the Avs and Nichushkin, is paying Nichushkin $3M on the cap for 6 more years, really a better solution then a buyout? A buyout would pay him $-180k next year, $500k in 2025-26, then $3M for 2 years after that. Given our cores age, I would argue the buyout gives this group the best chance of winning honestly.
Yeah exactly. There's so much uncertainty about whether they can even terminate(I'd bet they could), what penalty would come out of it when Nuke and the NHLPA file a grievance, etc.

A buyout would be simple and you get your clarity before the summer even begins.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Where are those numbers from? HockeyDB has annual attendance figures as:

05-06: 18007
06-07: 17612
07-08: 16842
08-09: 15429
09-10: 13947

It climbs back up after that though the 16-17 season is an abomination and I'm not sure how exactly they even averaged 13K that season but the drop-off IMO has more to do with the Avs not being all that good than it did Peter Forsberg leaving. There are two missed playoff seasons in there, one of which was horrific in 08-09.
I'd personally consider going from (at the time) the longest sellout streak to 15.5 a pretty dramatic drop off in a few seasons. Even when teams are bad, stars keep fans interested. You have it even right there with the Sakic drop off in 09-10 despite the team being better in 09-10. There isn't just one reason, but to think that losing star power isn't a part of it is misguided.

Also, a team with potentially Lehky, Drouin, Wood and Ritchie as their top 6 wingers has the makings of a team that could miss the playoffs.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

Mackenzie Weegar was an important part of that trade too.

If there is an extension in place for Rants, I think it'd be a good deal for both teams one for one. Without that Ottawa doesn't do the trade. But what would the incentive for Rantanen be to sign an extension in Ottawa vs testing free agency?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I'm not at all saying the Avs get out with any damage (I'd expect in the realm of 1.5-2.5m for the remaining term)... but terminations have gone through with less.
Perhaps I'm just misinterpreting what others are saying, since it seems some think they can just make him go away penelty free. That really isn't a realistic possibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad