Rumor: 2024-2025 Trade Rumors and Free Agency - Offseason Edition

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've really been thinking about what the Avs should do lately. I know this summer is already tough enough...but this core (Gabe, Nate, Rants, Nuke, Cale, Toews, Girard) and coach have been together for a long time. It's amounted to one cup victory. Maybe with all the shit that's happened, it is necessary to shake some things up. At the very least I'd like to see some new assistants and Bednar to come up with a new strategy or three.

Also, they won't do it, but I would trade Rants this summer. I just think the ability to keep JD and get another top six winger to fill two spots is much more in line with what we need moving forward. We have two good centers. It'd suck to only have two (Lehky and Rants) good wingers to split between them. As for selling tickets and jersey's I think JD would be at least some consolation there and it really depends on who else we can get in either the trade or with the cap space opened up.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
Seattle
I keep opening Armchair GM thinking the solution to a deep, competitve team is suddenly going to jump out to me. Like, oh, just make that trade and that signing and boom. But damn, I'm struggling to come up with realistic ideas that would fix everything.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
I keep opening Armchair GM thinking the solution to a deep, competitve team is suddenly going to jump out to me. Like, oh, just make that trade and that signing and boom. But damn, I'm struggling to come up with realistic ideas that would fix everything.
I want us to find a winger for mitts. Ideally that's Mikko but it's bednar so...?

AvsFan2123

Jan 21, 2014
Illinois
I hate this spot we’re in so much. Landy unknown return date (maybe management knows or has a timeframe they just aren’t saying).

The unknowns surrounding Nuke. Terminate? Come back when? Is there turmoil in locker room?

What do they do with Georgiev? There’s options out there, but do they use the limited money they have at offensive depth instead? Also I wonder about the relationships they have with Georgiev. There was the obvious clip of Mikko screaming at him. I know we heard them say they have his back but do we honestly expect them to say on camera, “Yea reporter you’re right. He does kinda suck and has let in a bunch of softies lately”. Think our main targets are the only guys out there that were rumored; Markstrom, Saros, Ullmark.

Yes I know we can have more quantity with a Rantanen trade, but I’m in the crowd that doesn’t want to do that right now. We need quality with our quantity not having player in 2 years and one in and out of rehab. I can’t think of a team who’s paid the price more for winning a Cup. Except maybe the Hawks PR department.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

the_fan

Have we traded Mikko yet?
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I predicted the Avs will win one more cup with this core in 2027 and I’m gonna stand by it. Although I predicted that before Val screwed up so a lot can change.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
As you go through the season with no players on LTIR and with un-used cap-space, I know it accrues. But how do you determine what salary you can afford on a certain date or how do you determine how much you would need to leave open to accomodate X salary on a certain date?

For example, Nuke can't come back before Nov 13th. But he won't be eligible for his full 6.125M salary. How much would we actually need to leave open to accomodate him on Nov. 13th? Does the needle move at all?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
As you go through the season with no players on LTIR and with un-used cap-space, I know it accrues. But how do you determine what salary you can afford on a certain date or how do you determine how much you would need to leave open to accomodate X salary on a certain date?

For example, Nuke can't come back before Nov 13th. But he won't be eligible for his full 6.125M salary. How much would we actually need to leave open to accomodate him on Nov. 13th? Does the needle move at all?
like 5M. A touch more. He’s suspended for about 1/6 of the season, assuming he comes back as soon as eligible. So you take about 5/6 of his cap hit.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Wish we could convince JD to not sign a contract until after November. Give us a chance to either activate and immediately trade or buyout Nuke and then make it right by him.

Reactions: BobRossColton

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
I've really been thinking about what the Avs should do lately. I know this summer is already tough enough...but this core (Gabe, Nate, Rants, Nuke, Cale, Toews, Girard) and coach have been together for a long time. It's amounted to one cup victory. Maybe with all the shit that's happened, it is necessary to shake some things up. At the very least I'd like to see some new assistants and Bednar to come up with a new strategy or three.

Also, they won't do it, but I would trade Rants this summer. I just think the ability to keep JD and get another top six winger to fill two spots is much more in line with what we need moving forward. We have two good centers. It'd suck to only have two (Lehky and Rants) good wingers to split between them. As for selling tickets and jersey's I think JD would be at least some consolation there and it really depends on who else we can get in either the trade or with the cap space opened up.

Yeah.. trading Rantanen for someone like Necas++ means we'd have Necas, Drouin, Landeskog and Lehkonen as top six wingers. Nuke could gtfo too and we'd still be fine in that regard.

BobRossColton

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Yeah.. trading Rantanen for someone like Necas++ means we'd have Necas, Drouin, Landeskog and Lehkonen as top six wingers. Nuke could gtfo too and we'd still be fine in that regard.
Lehky Nate Necas
Gabe mitts Drouin
Wood Colton LOC

He'd get his power play wishes at least

Who'd be the ++?

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
Lehky Nate Necas
Gabe mitts Drouin
Wood Colton LOC

He'd get his power play wishes at least

Who'd be the ++?
I still see no terrific reason to have Mitts and Drouin on the same line. Spread the elite passing around. In addition, Mac is going to be happier with Drouin on his wing than Necas. Swap those two and that is a pretty effective Top-9 for a team which would have just lost Mikko and Nuke.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It's the truth... getting rid of a franchise player over money is a bad look that doesn't encourage casual fans to buy tickets. They don't care that we can have 3 ERods... they want Mikko.
Eh, I think they have a point. The bigger determining factor to most casual fans is if a team is good, they’ll go. If the local media repeats so-and-so is good, they’ll buy in, doesn’t matter if it’s Mikko or ERod. It’s regular fans that can tell the difference. Mack, Makar, Toews, is enough name recognition for casuals as long as they are a good team.

Edit: and that’s before we add Landy and Nuke (lol) if they come back.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
In 2024-25 we have no 1st round pick, no 2nd round pick and no 3rd round pick.

Don't expect much from the deadline next season.

This year really was the year to win our 2nd cup.
They can always trade future picks, other contenders are doing the same. f*** the future, win now.
Or they can sit on their hands, options are open for both.

Reactions: The Moops

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Eh, I think they have a point. The bigger determining factor to most casual fans is if a team is good, they’ll go. If the local media repeats so-and-so is good, they’ll buy in, doesn’t matter if it’s Mikko or ERod. It’s regular fans that can tell the difference. Mack, Makar, Toews, is enough name recognition for casuals as long as they are a good team.

Edit: and that’s before we add Landy and Nuke (lol) if they come back.
With Mikko the team will be good, without Mikko the team will be good. That won't change all that much. Name recognition matters and all you have to really see is how attendance took a dive when the team lost some franchise stars. Then when Roy came back attendance shot back up.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
The best way forward IMO is still to trade Rantanen this summer, freeing up his 9.25, and using that money to extend Drouin around 6 million while having the left overs to fill roster holes.

I'd much rather retain Drouin @ 6 and bring in a blue chip winger prospect (and another first rounder) than only have Rantanen @ 9.24 and about to make over 13 leaving the rest of the roster gutted. The margin between Drouin and Rantanen is wide, but it isn't wide enough to f*** the rest of the roster.

- Rantanen to Anaheim for Edmonton's 1st and Cutter Gauthier (or any team with a first rounder and blue chip winger prospect)
- Extend Mitts and Drouin
- Eventually bring back Nuke (we all should probably get comfortable with this)
- Third line Landy @ 7 million! :banghead:

That still leaves you with three legit top six wingers (even if one can't get off the powder), Landy and Gautheir/whoever can fight for the last top six spot. And the strength of the forwards is now properly down the middle. And that top six isn't going anywhere, Lehkonen is the first one to hit UFA in three years.

If you're trading anyone from the core, Rantanen should be the guy.

Leaves just over 4 million to put towards beefing up the third D pairing or the fourth line.
1716987725173.png

Reactions: missionAvs

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The best way forward IMO is still to trade Rantanen this summer, freeing up his 9.25, and using that money to extend Drouin around 6 million while having the left overs to fill roster holes.

I'd much rather retain Drouin @ 6 and bring in a blue chip winger prospect (and another first rounder) than only have Rantanen @ 9.24 and about to make over 13 leaving the rest of the roster gutted. The margin between Drouin and Rantanen is wide, but it isn't wide enough to f*** the rest of the roster.

- Rantanen to Anaheim for Edmonton's 1st and Cutter Gauthier (or any team with a first rounder and blue chip winger prospect)
- Extend Mitts and Drouin
- Eventually bring back Nuke (we all should probably get comfortable with this)
- Third line Landy @ 7 million! :banghead:

That still leaves you with three legit top six wingers (even if one can't get off the powder), Landy and Gautheir/whoever can fight for the last top six spot. And the strength of the forwards is now properly down the middle. And that top six isn't going anywhere, Lehkonen is the first one to hit UFA in three years.

If you're trading anyone from the core, Rantanen should be the guy.

Leaves just over 4 million to put towards beefing up the third D pairing or the fourth line.
View attachment 876971
Can’t imagine Anaheims trading Gauthier 5 months after trading for him.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Can’t imagine Anaheims trading Gauthier 5 months after trading for him.

Don't put too much emphasis on my one trade example. I really don't give a shit where the 1st and winger prospect comes from. But I would specifically be targeting a winger whose play style fits well with Mitts - most likely a shoot first winger. Start building long term around Mitts on the second line.

The key here is removing Mikko and getting Drouin (extended) + NHL ready winger prospect + 1st in return.

Last edited:

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I just don't see Mikko as a face of the franchise while MacK, Makar, and even Landeskog are in the building, but maybe there is more interest in him from the fans than I see.

He's easily a great player and fans know that, but I just don't see him as a guy who could leave and interest or ticket sales would take much of a hit.

If you can trade him and 1) keep the team competitive and 2) make the team deeper and extend the 29+8 window, I don't know how you don't at least seriously consider it.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Necas makes zero sense for the Avs even in a hypothetical Rantanen trade.
You get the best young ELC d man in that scenario and get a winger in FA.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
I just don't see Mikko as a face of the franchise while MacK, Makar, and even Landeskog are in the building, but maybe there is more interest in him from the fans than I see.

He's easily a great player and fans know that, but I just don't see him as a guy who could leave and interest or ticket sales would take much of a hit.

If you can trade him and 1) keep the team competitive and 2) make the team deeper and extend the 29+8 window, I don't know how you don't at least seriously consider it.
He's clearly at least the 3rd most marketed player on the team behind MacK and Makar.

I get the appeal of the trading of Rants, but it is just not a realistic thing to have happen.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Trading is Mikko is the most logical thing the team could do and honestly probably makes the team better in the longer run.

However, it's not going to happen. First he puts butts in seats, second the Avs have always been a loyal team, they aren't Vegas and they don't just dump long standing players for something new and shiny.

The only ways they even consider a trade is either 96 demanding too much or some team just offers an extreme overpayment that you'd be absolutely stupid to reject.

We can thank 29 for going god mode so there is no way 96 can demand 29 level money. Hard to demand that kind of money when you weren't even close to 29s production and you were on the same line.

The best comp in the league is Pasta at 11.2M, not sure how Rants camp can make an argument they should be much higher than that. Pasta even has slightly better numbers and way less supporting cast.

So basically I'd expect a 11.5M (inflation on Pasta) type deal as the most likely scenario, like 90%. The 8% would be trade due to insane contract ask. And that trade wouldn't even be considered until probably late summer after months of failed negotiations. 2% trade at the draft due to some team offering something stupid insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad