Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
personally I thought he looked fine at the NHL level last season. Which is why I just don't see it unless he somehow regressed. Keep him developing with the big club. If he struggles send him down, but I'm fairly against starting him in Providence.

I see it a little different.

He hasn’t played a real game in months.

Let him go to Providence, play 1C, play 18+ minutes per game, play on PP1, maybe even kill penalties for 30-35 games and see where he’s at around the new year and go from there.

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
Sure, if it's some sort of binary where the only thing Carolina will do in evaluating a goalie is look at their SV%. I'm not making up that Carolina wants to make a change at goalie - it's everywhere. I'm also not making up that Carolina inquired about Ullmark at the deadline - it's everywhere. Do they ultimately decide to either get Markstrom, Saros, or someone else? Do they decide to stand pat with Freddy and Kochetkov? Sure, it can happen. But making it seem like Ullmark would never possibly be on their radar is incorrect.

Carolina apparently is done with Freddy given his durability issues as well as his performance in the playoffs. I wouldn't scoff at the idea that they'd consider Ullmark at all.
I can absolutely see Carolina interested in Ullmark, I just don't think we get Necas out of the trade (as many posters suggest) unless we add ....but I'm all for adding to get Necas... he would thrive here.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I'd be fine with Stamkos too but can't see him wanting to leave Tampa
I’m no capologist and TB always seems to find a way (😉)…but they only have 5 million in cap space right now and they have at least 3 spots to fill up front.

They’ll probably work it out, but at what cost?

Reactions: Gordoff

DaBroons

Aug 2, 2005
Even if the reality is somewhere in the middle, who are they getting out of Carolina or Toronto?

I think Necas or Jarvis is a complete pipe dream. Carolina is not a deep organization moving forward. I think they have significant issues up front and on D in both the short and long-term.

Same with Toronto. Who are the Bruins getting? Forget Matthew Knies. I could see a package including Nick Robertson. Cowan or Mintin would be adequate return but that still more future oriented and they will be hard to pry out of TO. The funny part about Toronto is Boston may be reluctant to give them a goalie, meanwhile, Calgary seem to want nothing to do with trading with Treliving. Saros might be their best and only option.

I think Ottawa and Chychrun is doable. Pinto is untouchable IMO with all the question surrounding Josh Norris's health. Grieg is highly valued as well.

New Jersey I can see Holtz or Bahl. I don't think Mercer or Nemec is realistic (especially Nemec he's untouchable IMO).

LA my guess if Laferriere, Kaliyev and maybe Jordan Spence on D.

Detroit I see Joe Veleno and that's pretty much it.

Pittsburgh is my darkhorse. I think they've lost faith in Jarry and don't want to waste any more Crosby years. Would they do Marcus Petterson for Ullmark (UFA for UFA similar to Ullmark for Chychrun)?
I'm not interested in multiple average/slightly above players for Ullmark (not saying that anyone on your list is that way, just making a point). Rather I'd want a 1-for-1 trade with a very good player, or a top 10 draft pick (e.g., Ottawa or NJ). For players, Necas has talent, but intangibles are iffy. Chychrun would be great, and I wonder if the deal would hinge on both being sign and trade. He would give us a great top 4, as good as anyone's.

If Ullmark goes to LA, then Trevor Moore would be a good player, especially if we sign a good center (would that mean that Zacha stays at C, b/c Marchy and Moore would the top 2 LWs?). Also, I've always liked Byfield, but what is his ceiling at this point? If you think it's high, then he's a great target. I recall that when the latter was drafted, I spied a Broons' jersey or banner on the wall of their LR.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm not interested in multiple average/slightly above players for Ullmark (not saying that anyone on your list is that way, just making a point). Rather I'd want a 1-for-1 trade with a very good player, or a top 10 draft pick (e.g., Ottawa or NJ). For players, Necas has talent, but intangibles are iffy. Chychrun would be great, and I wonder if the deal would hinge on both being sign and trade. He would give us a great top 4, as good as anyone's.

If Ullmark goes to LA, then Trevor Moore would be a good player, especially if we sign a good center (would that mean that Zacha stays at C, b/c Marchy and Moore would the top 2 LWs?). Also, I've always liked Byfield, but what is his ceiling at this point? If you think it's high, then he's a great target. I recall that when the latter was drafted, I spied a Broons' jersey or banner on the wall of their LR.
Swayman wouldn't get you Byfield.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

They way I see a Chychrun deal is UFA for UFA. If they say trade Ullmark for Chychrun and decide not to or can't extend Chychrun, the Bruins are no worse off as they likely didn't plan on extending Ullmark anyways. I'd like to see Chychrun in the Bruins system before committing to an extension. Conversely, if Ullmark is willing to go to Ottawa but has reservations, he may want to see how it goes there first before committing.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Best case scenario is that Poitras wows again in camp, has a significant jump in his year two, and takes control of the #1 center position and the talk about getting one ends and the Bruins are able to spend that money elsewhere on the roster.

I just can't see that happening. I think Poitras is a fine young player but he still has a lot to prove and the Bruins will most likely try to acquire a prime aged player to take the #1 spot instead of resting their hopes on a 20 year old kid.
What if he does well enough to make the roster to play on the 3rd line like I mentioned? I don't think it should be #1C or bust with Poitras, but if Poitras is supposed to be a core member of the Bruins moving forward and potentially a top 6C, why not develop him in the NHL? He was more than good enough to skate between Zacha and Pastrnak, play with Marchand, and skate between Frederic and Geekie earlier in the season. If Poitras is seen as a future top 6C on this team, what the Bruins shouldn't do is sign two centers this offseason to long-term deals to block Poitras' path to the NHL.

If Poitras was healthy, would he have played in the playoffs this year?

Reactions: HustleB

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What if he does well enough to make the roster to play on the 3rd line like I mentioned? I don't think it should be #1C or bust with Poitras, but if Poitras is supposed to be a core member of the Bruins moving forward and potentially a top 6C, why not develop him in the NHL? He was more than good enough to skate between Zacha and Pastrnak, play with Marchand, and skate between Frederic and Geekie earlier in the season. If Poitras is seen as a future top 6C on this team, what the Bruins shouldn't do is sign two centers this offseason to long-term deals to block Poitras' path to the NHL.

I'm not sure if Poitras would have been ready for the physicality for the playoffs last year. He might have been in a game or two but I don't think he would have been a starter.

He could be a candidate for the third line, but if the Bruins do sign two top 6 centers, that pushes Coyle down to the 3C and Poitras is either riding the pine or on the RW, assuming Geekie gets the promotion to the 2nd. But if the Bruins sign two centers and resigns DeBrusk, Poitras is most likely headed to Providence.

Reactions: Absurdity

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007

Hard to say because he was injured so long ago. I think he would've played though. Plus, I think they were desperate enough for the solution at center that he would have played top 6C.

I still think it's best to keep him on the wing, third line, and then as the season progresses and situations change, maybe move him up if it's going well or try him at center here and there.

If they can somehow land a pair of top 6 centers, and I don't think they can anyway, then I still think they should do that first. There's no telling what Poitras will be, and I'm not waiting around and hoping he's "that guy" based on what I've seen from him so far. God forbid they find themselves in a situation where the top 6 is full and Poitras is deserving of the spot, then they go with the "up or out" method. Move him up the lineup, or ship him out. Same goes for the 2 hypothetical centers they'd bring in.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Hard to say because he was injured so long ago. I think he would've played though. Plus, I think they were desperate enough for the solution at center that he would have played top 6C.

I still think it's best to keep him on the wing, third line, and then as the season progresses and situations change, maybe move him up if it's going well or try him at center here and there.

If they can somehow land a pair of top 6 centers, and I don't think they can anyway, then I still think they should do that first. There's no telling what Poitras will be, and I'm not waiting around and hoping he's "that guy" based on what I've seen from him so far. God forbid they find themselves in a situation where the top 6 is full and Poitras is deserving of the spot, then they go with the "up or out" method. Move him up the lineup, or ship him out. Same goes for the 2 hypothetical centers they'd bring in.
But he isn't a wing. They didn't play him at wing last fall, even with Geekie and Frederic in the lineup. He's a center, and they'll play him there. If he's with Frederic, he can get some help on draws, especially left dot DZ draws (though we know Freddy hasn't excelled there yet). There's no indication that they'll play him on the wing, and that includes comments from Sweeney that they won't play him on the wing.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
But he isn't a wing. They didn't play him at wing last fall, even with Geekie and Frederic in the lineup. He's a center, and they'll play him there. If he's with Frederic, he can get some help on draws, especially left dot DZ draws (though we know Freddy hasn't excelled there yet). There's no indication that they'll play him on the wing, and that includes comments from Sweeney that they won't play him on the wing.
Third line center? I'm ok with that. Even from there if he's playing well and a spot opens up later on I'm ok with moving him up.

No chance do I start him off in a top 6 center role.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Third line center? I'm ok with that. Even from there if he's playing well and a spot opens up later on I'm ok with moving him up.

No chance do I start him off in a top 6 center role.
Maybe they won’t.

Side stat: of all the Bruins line combos that played 20 or more minutes together, Zacha-Poitras-Pastrnak was third in xGF% at 66.7%.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
FWIW,

Reactions: kinghock

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
FWIW,

My Ullmark for Kochketkov and a 2025 2nd rounder proposal doesn't look so bad now.

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Buying him out will cost them something like 1.4 million for 14 years. So I think the retain amount LA would be willing to do is somewhere between, 1.4 and 4 million. I suspect it is probably closer to 2 million than 4 in terms of what they would likely be willing to retain in a trade. That would bring PLD down to the point where he is basically the same price it would likely cost you to bring in Stephenson, and the talent level is significantly above Stephenson (and a good bit less than Lindholm) , but the effort has not been
Some forget how good PLD was for Columbus a few years ago. Yes red flags but the bruins need to take a chance because they have nothing in their system on the track to be a #1 center in near future.
Get ready for the Matthew Poitras comments

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Some forget how good PLD was for Columbus a few years ago. Yes red flags but the bruins need to take a chance because they have nothing in their system on the track to be a #1 center in near future.
There's absolutely zero evidence to suggest PLD has a better chance of being a 1C than Poitras. In effect the evidence is the other way. And that's without considering the abomination that is PLD's contract, even with the far fetched idea that LAK would retain for seven (7) years.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Detroit is a possibility. I don't see a fit with Edmonton for the team or player.

It's not likely, not that prospects are a sure thing. But we have two top goalie prospects, one who should be ready in 2 years (Cossa) the other maybe 1-2 year's after (Trey Augustine).

It's likely we go after a ufa stop gap for around a 2 year deal again.

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
I can absolutely see Carolina interested in Ullmark, I just don't think we get Necas out of the trade (as many posters suggest) unless we add ....but I'm all for adding to get Necas... he would thrive here.
Carolina might be fine letting Necas go. It depends on whether or not they sign Guentzel I think in terms of their cap and what's left.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

PLD's production while in Columbus:

48P
61P
49P

He's a $8.5 million cap hit and when he's not motivated he just goes through the motions.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
It's not likely, not that prospects are a sure thing. But we have two top goalie prospects, one who should be ready in 2 years (Cossa) the other maybe 1-2 year's after (Trey Augustine).

It's likely we go after a ufa stop gap for around a 2 year deal again.
Have you looked at the UFA netminders though? Good luck with that lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad