Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
You know whats not weird though...Elliotte Friedman confirming the Hurricanes had conversations with the Bruins at the TDL for Ullmark

So you can think that Ullmark isn't an upgrade over Andersen as much as you want but it doesn't take away the fact their former GM thinks differently
1) According to Friedman, when CAR was inquiring it was when Andersen was injured.

2) I do think he's an upgrade on Andersen. However when people say "They need a goalie better than Andersen when they get to the playoffs", the simple fact is that Ullmark HASN'T been better than Andersen in the playoffs. I think a large part of that is just variations due to small sample sizes and that if I was the GM for CAR I would make an offer on Ullmark with the hopes that the next go around he'll be better...

BUT

I wouldn't offering Necas for him or Jarvis (as someone said here) because the fact is, as good as Ullmark has been in the regular season, is post season numbers are flat out bad. I'd make a bet that will improve, but I wouldn't make a bet with my best assets. If I lose out on him, I lose out on him.

But every GM Is different and who knows what will happen over the next 5 or so weeks.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
1) According to Friedman, when CAR was inquiring it was when Andersen was injured.

2) I do think he's an upgrade on Andersen. However when people say "They need a goalie better than Andersen when they get to the playoffs", the simple fact is that Ullmark HASN'T been better than Andersen in the playoffs. I think a large part of that is just variations due to small sample sizes and that if I was the GM for CAR I would make an offer on Ullmark with the hopes that the next go around he'll be better...

BUT

I wouldn't offering Necas for him or Jarvis (as someone said here) because the fact is, as good as Ullmark has been in the regular season, is post season numbers are flat out bad. I'd make a bet that will improve, but I wouldn't make a bet with my best assets. If I lose out on him, I lose out on him.

But every GM Is different and who knows what will happen over the next 5 or so weeks.
Jarvis is crazy talk. They'll need to add to Ullmark for Necas but the base is there.

There difference between the goaltenders is that Andersen is 0-8 in elimination games...he has proven up to this point, especially turning 35 that he cannot win you the big games. He can get you there and he can win a couple playoff games but when the pressure is on he can't rise to it.

Ullmark's track record hasn't proven this yet. You can point to his two playoff loses here and the save percentage and all that but he isn't a monumental choker like Andersen is

Reactions: Gordoff and Bodit9

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I'm on the pld train. Buy low.
I don’t get this Don are ya trolling or something ?
Even if he’s free that contract is awful and even as bad as he has been they’re not eating his salary and wasting years on retaining his salary preventing them to use this tool that would better help there team.
( think you can only retain 2 different times until they’re off the books ) Meaning it would be in there best interest to buy him out vs retaining.. And I doubt there at that point yet.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That was the IIHF that had cams on the refs. If you look at it closely, you can see all 4 officials in the video.

Gotcha.

It’s a pretty cool idea, IMO.

I’ve mentioned this before and I know it won’t happen, but I’d love to see them offer a couple of games per season (pay per view) where everyone is mic’d up and there are no announcers and we just hear the players, coaches and officials.

Even if they did it and showed the game on a 10/15 minutes delay, so they could bleep out anything egregious, I’d pay a few bucks fir it.

HuskyBruinPride

Aug 1, 2011
I’m no capologist and TB always seems to find a way (😉)…but they only have 5 million in cap space right now and they have at least 3 spots to fill up front.

They’ll probably work it out, but at what cost?
Yeah, that's where things may get interesting. They don't have the cap space for him, well as of today, but it feels like they'll find some way to dump some cap to accommodate him. How that happens exactly would be interesting to ssee. Guess we'll see, but if he does leave I do for some reason feel like Boston might be of interest to him.

Reactions: sarge88

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Yeah, that's where things may get interesting. They don't have the cap space for him, well as of today, but it feels like they'll find some way to dump some cap to accommodate him. How that happens exactly would be interesting to ssee. Guess we'll see, but if he does leave I do for some reason feel like Boston might be of interest to him.

Such a tough spot for TB management.

To keep him, they might have to weaken the team overall.

But to let him walk, might really piss off the fanbase.

Last edited:

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Maybe? I'd take Guenztal over Necas as well. But if the Cap is the issue then Ullmark washes out what Necas will get in arbitration ...so they're left with the same problem unless they want a young cost controlled guy we have for Nacas and not Ullmark
I don't see how they are "left with the same problem". Necas gives you a forward who can play with Pasta. There's no issue with him earning the money as Bussi will be making a lot less than Ullmark.

Pasta Necas Zacha is a line to get people excited about and we'd still have cap room to upgrade elsewhere. Carolina gets a Vezina goalie . It's win win for all.

Guentzel is definitely a good FA but he will be EXPENSIVE,

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
I don't see how they are "left with the same problem". Necas gives you a forward who can play with Pasta. There's no issue with him earning the money as Bussi will be making a lot less than Ullmark.

Pasta Necas Zacha is a line to get people excited about and we'd still have cap room to upgrade elsewhere. Carolina gets a Vezina goalie . It's win win for all.

Guentzel is definitely a good FA but he will be EXPENSIVE,
He’s saying if Necas is traded because the Canes don’t have the money to pay him, that they’re not gonna want to take back salary in return. That they’d sooner trade Necas for a more “futures” based package.

dangermike

Jan 24, 2022
i keep seeing necas in between zacha and pasta - ...like is he a better center than zacha? are we sure???

Reactions: FONZIE

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
He’s saying if Necas is traded because the Canes don’t have the money to pay him, that they’re not gonna want to take back salary in return. That they’d sooner trade Necas for a more “futures” based package.
Possibly, but they have several contracts coming off the books the year after. Ullmark's only on for one year and they have the cap room for that. They might not want a long term Necas deal. idk, anything's possible.

i keep seeing necas in between zacha and pasta - ...like is he a better center than zacha? are we sure???
I think the dynamic of the 3 of them together is what matters. Which one is the better center might not be as important.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
You know whats not weird though...Elliotte Friedman confirming the Hurricanes had conversations with the Bruins at the TDL for Ullmark

So you can think that Ullmark isn't an upgrade over Andersen as much as you want but it doesn't take away the fact their former GM thinks differently

That was also when it looked like Andersen's career was in jeopardy with blood clots.

Reactions: CellyHard

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
You're not getting better leadership than Doughty\Kopitar, come on.
200w.gif

• Haha
Reactions: capecodder

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

No, people aren't sure and are just hoping that he magically becomes a better center than when Carolina tried him there. Necas for most of his NHL career has played RW. He played some center last year and was below average at the dot.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
No, people aren't sure and are just hoping that he magically becomes a better center than when Carolina tried him there. Necas for most of his NHL career has played RW. He played some center last year and was below average at the dot.

There is no question that Zacha is the superior two-way player and better suited to take on the defensive responsibility of the center position more than Necas. Then the face-off factor.

That being said, I see no reason why it can't be Zacha centering Pasta and Necas as his wingers. And for offensive zone face-offs, Zacha would still take most draws (especially all those on his strong side) but once the puck is dropped, they become F1/F2/F3 until the puck leaves the zone anyways.

That being said, if Necas can drive play on his own, they are probably better off using Necas and Pasta on separate lines most of the time, especially once Marchand hangs them up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad