Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Nah, not really physical at all. Played pretty limited minutes with LA over the last two post seasons.

I've watched him a bit and you can definitely see the talent there, but it seems they don't trust him for big minutes.
ah ok, really like to see the B`s add someone who despises an opponent even thinking about trying to get to the net

I know these days, those types of D-men aren`t easy to find

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
Anyone else a bit uneasy with the fact that their are a decent amount of teams with more, the same or a bit less cap space than the Bruins? Nothing is guaranteed. Necas and Lindholm may take way more money to play elsewhere. Not going to be too thrilled if we end up with leftovers and get some BS statement about how the pickings were slim and they were close on a few ala back pocket Toffoli.
Here's to hoping Pasta is a persuasive recruiter.
Almost half of the teams' boards on this site have Lindholm penciled in their lineups next season. The center market this offseason is pretty weak, Lindholm, Stephenson, Monahan who may re-sign in Winnipeg, and Domi. We can only hope at least one of these free agent centers want to play for the Bruins, but I wouldn't fault them for chasing the money.

It may come down to the Bruins needing to trade for a center, but it most definitely feels like an Ullmark move is the first shoe to drop for the Bruins this offseason.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Not sure about that, but maybe Zacha is a better center with Necas on his wing with Pasta........

Maybe, but idk if it’s worth potentially wasting a year to figure out if that’s the case or not. If they can find another solution then they should pursue it.

Reactions: Gordoff

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
anyone know about the game that Arthur Kaliyev plays? Saw on Twitter (yep, I still call it that) he wants out of LA, 6`2 LHD, seems to have a bit of offence to his game? I dunno

Not a defenseman he is a winger . Many people wanted him over Beecher in 2019.

gifted scorer, mixed reports on his skating. Has always had a very poor reputation when it comes to the 200 foot game, and in terms of consistent effort. Interesting he has asked to be traded as their were rumors they would just not offer him a contract for next year.

Definitely a classic guy who needs to play in the top 6 to have any chance given his limitations in the rest of his game

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Ullmark+ for Necas is fair value
Ullmark+ for Mercer is fair value
Ullmark for Chychrun is fair value
Ullmark for Pinto+ is fair value

Personally of the 4 I would do something like Ullmark+Lysell for Necas. I think the Devils would want more added for Mercer and Necas has a higher ceiling than pinto, although getting say a 1st or 2nd back for this draft would be wonderful. Better chance the Bruins improve Carolina (outside the division and no guarantee you play them at all if not until the ECF). Ottawa would have to get rid of Korpisalo as well which would be hard. You could even lower the value of the add by taking Andersen back as the backup for Swayman (with the value of that add changing depending on retention or not.)

does Ullmark+Lysell+25 3rd for Necas+Anderson (25% retained)+24 2nd sound like a solid framework?

And as for Lindholm, hes the best center they will realistically get a chance at signing, and even if hes really a 2c. The bruins technically dont even have that on their roster soooooo.
I think all four you have mentioned would help the Bruins, but my interest in Mercer, would be the least and Pinto, interests me the most. Zero interest in Anderson.....

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
The thing is it's not a case of Donny should get X and Y or A and B, like we should trade Ullmark for Necas or pay Lindholm 7X7. He's going to try on everyone and everything and it'll be a matter of who he can get. Maybe Ullmark won't go to Carolina, maybe Lindholm stays in Van, maybe we get Stephenson. Who knows? He's gotta be in on everyone and everything and we'll see who he actually does get. In this case it takes a lot more than just two to tango.

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
I wouldn't say uneasy. Boston is a pretty good destination as they're a playoff team with a good young core and great room. If Necas & Lindholm would rather chase the money then so be it.

What does make me uneasy (maybe more intrigued) is Utah. They have $43 million in cap space and 9 picks in the first two rounds between the 2024 & 2025 draft. Add to that some solid young talent from years of high draft picks and they could build a playoff contender rather quick if the new ownership lets them spend to the cap.
that video of Lebrun was interesting, they have 0 NHL Defensemen signed this year!

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Maybe, but idk if it’s worth potentially wasting a year to figure out if that’s the case or not. If they can find another solution then they should pursue it.
Understand your thoughts on wasting a year giving Necas a try, but I also don't want them signing a center to a contract that they will regret for more years than one because of fan pressure, I know many fans want Lindholm, me not being one of them.......

Reactions: Gordoff

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Not a defenseman he is a winger . Many people wanted him over Beecher in 2019.

gifted scorer, mixed reports on his skating. Has always had a very poor reputation when it comes to the 200 foot game, and in terms of consistent effort. Interesting he has asked to be traded as their were rumors they would just not offer him a contract for next year.

Definitely a classic guy who needs to play in the top 6 to have any chance given his limitations in the rest of his game

They said the same sort of stuff about Frank Vatrano. Sam Reinhart has limitations his game too and he'll get 10 million this summer. All 3 have natural shooting talent that can't be taught but are complimentary players who need line-mates who can get them the puck in those soft spots.

I'm not advocating for Kaliyev but he's worth some team taking a gamble on him. From a shooting perspective he's elite. His age 21 season over half-a-ppg. His age 22 season his numbers got essentially cut in half.

Reactions: HustleB

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
The thing is it's not a case of Donny should get X and Y or A and B, like we should trade Ullmark for Necas or pay Lindholm 7X7. He's going to try on everyone and everything and it'll be a matter of who he can get. Maybe Ullmark won't go to Carolina, maybe Lindholm stays in Van, maybe we get Stephenson. Who knows? He's gotta be in on everyone and everything and we'll see who he actually does get. In this case it takes a lot more than just two to tango.
Ullmark mentioned that he had a NTC for a reason, but he must remember he can hang another season, but there are teams he could be traded to at the TDL and they might not suited for him, and he would up and move his family in the middle of the season, also better to play as much as he can as a #1 for his next contract..........

DaStinger

Permanent Interim
Feb 14, 2007
NB, Canada
The Ullmark scenario is almost perfect for us. The main objective being in it frees up $5 Million for us to spend elsewhere. The return, be it help now, prospects, picks.. it's all an added bonus and will be very useful going forward.

Reactions: bbfan419

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Understand your thoughts on wasting a year giving Necas a try, but I also don't want them signing a center to a contract that they will regret for more years than one because of fan pressure, I know many fans want Lindholm, me not being one of them.......

They’ll never get a top 15 center everyone would like through free agency. Extremely rare. I think the closest we’ve seen recently is Tavares years back to Toronto.

Either do that through the draft (unlikely given their draft positions)

Or through overpaying on a trade. So they’ll likely have to trade Ullmark in a separate deal for picks then include Zacha/prospect/ullmarks return for a top center and even then it’s a stretch.

Unfortunately they’ll either have to settle for a lower end top center or overpay on a trade. However they certainly aren’t sniffing a cup with the weakness at the center position they have unless swayman is even better than he was this postseason.

Reactions: HustleB

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Ullmark+ for Necas is fair value
Ullmark+ for Mercer is fair value
Ullmark for Chychrun is fair value
Ullmark for Pinto+ is fair value

Personally of the 4 I would do something like Ullmark+Lysell for Necas. I think the Devils would want more added for Mercer and Necas has a higher ceiling than pinto, although getting say a 1st or 2nd back for this draft would be wonderful. Better chance the Bruins improve Carolina (outside the division and no guarantee you play them at all if not until the ECF). Ottawa would have to get rid of Korpisalo as well which would be hard. You could even lower the value of the add by taking Andersen back as the backup for Swayman (with the value of that add changing depending on retention or not.)

does Ullmark+Lysell+25 3rd for Necas+Anderson (25% retained)+24 2nd sound like a solid framework?

And as for Lindholm, hes the best center they will realistically get a chance at signing, and even if hes really a 2c. The bruins technically dont even have that on their roster soooooo.
Really don't want a goalie back...Then we are in the same situation with Bussi.....if anything, a cheap Kincaid type just in case, but not someone with salary who is going to sit

A third round pick

Hypothetically I imagine if Andersen was part of a deal we'd flip him to another team.
To Toronto ! LOL

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Ullmark mentioned that he had a NTC for a reason, but he must remember he can hang another season, but there are teams he could be traded to at the TDL and they might not suited for him, and he would up and move his family in the middle of the season, also better to play as much as he can as a #1 for his next contract..........
Yeah, maybe. But that’s up to him not us. Not like I’m going to broach the subject with him over dinner tonight. But maybe Donny will.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Or they could pitch a new longer term contract as part of the deal too.

Reactions: bbfan419

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They said the same sort of stuff about Frank Vatrano. Sam Reinhart has limitations his game too and he'll get 10 million this summer. All 3 have natural shooting talent that can't be taught but are complimentary players who need line-mates who can get them the puck in those soft spots.

I'm not advocating for Kaliyev but he's worth some team taking a gamble on him. From a shooting perspective he's elite. His age 21 season over half-a-ppg. His age 22 season his numbers got essentially cut in half.

They've said it about hundreds of prospects, and yes some of them make it, but the vast majority either never make the show, or float around frustrating teams for a few years before disappearing into oblivion.

I don't think Boston is in position to bring him in and slot him on the top 2 lines, and throwing him on the 4th line to play with Beecher and Brazeau would just lead to frustration for him, the coaches and the players.

He is the great grab for a team like Utah, or one of the other teams where nothing is expected and maybe they can give him a season on the top line to see if he can break out and reach his ceiling .

A third round pick

Hypothetically I imagine if Andersen was part of a deal we'd flip him to another team.

Well you'd have to have the deal in place to make it a 3 team deal, and know what value you are getting in return. Simply flipping him in hope you can maybe later find someone willing to take the 35 year old Anderson and give you value would not be wise.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They've said it about hundreds of prospects, and yes some of them make it, but the vast majority either never make the show, or float around frustrating teams for a few years before disappearing into oblivion.

I don't think Boston is in position to bring him in and slot him on the top 2 lines, and throwing him on the 4th line to play with Beecher and Brazeau would just lead to frustration for him, the coaches and the players.

He is the great grab for a team like Utah, or one of the other teams where nothing is expected and maybe they can give him a season on the top line to see if he can break out and reach his ceiling .

I look at guys who are elite shooters a bit differently. That's just a natural born gift, similar to great hitters in baseball. Not that they didn't work at it, but some of it just genetics. I ripped the Vatrano trade when it happened, made no sense to me. But they wanted room to add Tommy Wingels.

But I don't see Kaliyev as an option for Boston, but like you said, a team with some openings and are looking to give guys a chance should consider him.

BamBamCam

Apr 12, 2011
Crowsnest Pass AB

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
There is no question that Zacha is the superior two-way player and better suited to take on the defensive responsibility of the center position more than Necas. Then the face-off factor.

That being said, I see no reason why it can't be Zacha centering Pasta and Necas as his wingers. And for offensive zone face-offs, Zacha would still take most draws (especially all those on his strong side) but once the puck is dropped, they become F1/F2/F3 until the puck leaves the zone anyways.

That being said, if Necas can drive play on his own, they are probably better off using Necas and Pasta on separate lines most of the time, especially once Marchand hangs them up.
Apparently, Necas wants an expanded role, likely at center.

The Bruins shouldn't promise the latter,. but could certainly express openness to the idea and a chance to see if it works.

Ed Note: Zacha just came into the Pro Shop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad