Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Apparently, Necas wants an expanded role, likely at center.

The Bruins shouldn't promise the latter,. but could certainly express openness to the idea and a chance to seek if it works.

Ed Note: Zacha just came into the Pro Shop.

And in Boston he should get it (the expanded role). If acquired to me he's immediately their 2nd most important forward, at worst 3rd until Marchand retires/regresses.

Tell Zacha ol' BruinDust said he likes him at center. Don't listen to the haters!

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Of the three - Stephenson, Lindholm and Necas - how do you rank them and who do you want?
To me it's Lindholm first because it is only cap space, Necas second depending on return Carolina demands and Stephenson, like his speed and probably the grittiest of the three but I have the least faith in continuing to be as productive as he has been.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Of the three - Stephenson, Lindholm and Necas - how do you rank them and who do you want?

1) Necas

2) Stephenson

3) Lindholm

Necas will cost in trade but he's the youngest, most upside and entering the prime of his career. Boston need key guys in their prime, not past it. The other two we've already seen their best stuff.

Stephenson vs. Lindholm is close. I think Stephenson comes a bit cheaper in AAV and term. He's faster (which the Bruins need). Lindholm is the better all-around player but he's also more of a complimentary player in that he doesn't drive play and is reliant on who his wingers are, and I feel if he's brought in, he'll be asked to basically be Boston's 2nd best forward and that's not him. I think what he brings, they are already getting a lot of similar stuff out of Charlie Coyle while I feel Stephenson brings a different dimension to the group.

But my gut tells me Lindholm is their main target on July 1st.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
1) Necas

2) Stephenson

3) Lindholm

Necas will cost in trade but he's the youngest, most upside and entering the prime of his career. Boston need key guys in their prime, not past it. The other two we've already seen their best stuff.

Stephenson vs. Lindholm is close. I think Stephenson comes a bit cheaper in AAV and term. He's faster (which the Bruins need). Lindholm is the better all-around player but he's also more of a complimentary player in that he doesn't drive play and is reliant on who his wingers are, and I feel if he's brought in, he'll be asked to basically be Boston's 2nd best forward and that's not him. I think what he brings, they are already getting a lot of similar stuff out of Charlie Coyle while I feel Stephenson brings a different dimension to the group.

I agree with your assessment categorically.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1) Necas

2) Stephenson

3) Lindholm

Of the 3 players Necas may have the most upside, but it means Zacha remains your #1 center , or at least Necas is a wing and doesn't replace him

in terms of Lindholm and Stephenson, I don't think it is particularly close, and I go Lindholm 10 times out of ten. I think he is a substantially better player even if not one of the 15 or so legit #1 centers in the league

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

Necas because of his age and it feels like he still has another level to go to reach his potential. But I see him as more of a RW than C but that's ok.

I'd like to see them get Lindholm and make a trade for Necas. Follow that up with signing Joshua and a physcial D that can be trusted to skate with McAvoy 5v5.

Reactions: ylekot and chizzler

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Of the 3 players Necas may have the most upside, but it means Zacha remains your #1 center , or at least Necas is a wing and doesn't replace him

in terms of Lindholm and Stephenson, I don't think it is particularly close, and I go Lindholm 10 times out of ten. I think he is a substantially better player even if not one of the 15 or so legit #1 centers in the league

I'm perfectly fine with the Bruins center position as is. I know I'm in the minority on that.

I want that #2 forward in his prime to slot below Pasta and above and aging Marchand. I don't care what forward position he plays. You need two top forwards to win in today's league. We have one (Pasta).

If Matthew Tkachuk was available for trade like he was a couple years ago, would fans here say no because he's strictly a winger? He'd be perfect in the sense that he'd be that elite-level forward in his prime so now they Bruins have two in their prime which I believe is part of the recipe for winning regardless of their forward position.

If the Bruins had Kucherov and they put him with Pasta on the wing and Zacha at C, would it not work because Zacha is playing C on that line? It would work just fine, two play drivers with the complimentary piece (Zacha). To me the concept that a good line is play driving winger + play driving C + complimentary winger to be antiquated. Now IMO the center can be the complimentary guy. I wouldn't of said that 10 years ago. The game has evolved. But the Center HAS to be able to hold his own defensively.

Reality is, league-wide, it's crazy how many guys now play a bit of both C and W because you can drive offense from the wing far more now than in the past. The wings carry it through the neutral zone more, carry it across the blueline more. If the Oilers put McDavid on the wing and take all that energy he uses playing C down low in his own zone and more energy into the offensive side, I think he could put up 200 pts. But he's an amazing player at all ends of the ice so he'd be wasted as a winger despite more offensive production.

Even though both are past their prime, in the short term Guentzel and Marchessault fill what the Bruins need far more IMO than either Lindholm or Stephenson. I agree Lindholm is better than Stephenson, but unless their contracts are the same it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I wish people would just toss out that big year Lindholm had as a complete anomaly thanks to playing basically exclusively with Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Any GM who signs him is paying for that year.

If they had say a Marchand in his prime and Pasta, then yeah I can see Lindholm as the complimentary piece of "a perfection line". but without that #2 forward to go with Lindholm and Pasta, I don't think it works long-term. Next year would probably be fine if they went Marchand- Lindholm-Pasta as Marchand can still drive play and create, but how much longer can they realistically expect that to last?

And if they want the most out of Lindholm, they'll want to use him in a more shutdown role similar to what Coyle did last season paired with Marchand so he might not see much time with Pasta anyways. To me, he becomes a bit redundant if Coyle is here. Stephenson wins out for me as he brings a different skillset and he'll likely be cheaper.

All that to say I don't think Lindholm is a great fit here the way the forward group is (currently) structured, but I suspect Sweeney and Co. would disagree with me and he's their main target in a months time.

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
And in Boston he should get it (the expanded role). If acquired to me he's immediately their 2nd most important forward, at worst 3rd until Marchand retires/regresses.

Tell Zacha ol' BruinDust said he likes him at center. Don't listen to the haters!
Wanting to play center, and actually being good at it at the NHL level are 2 different things.

Right now, I don't see Necas as a top 6 Center and neither does Carolina. Not sure why people are so certain he can fill that role. If you wanna play him as a winger, fine by me.

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
The thing with Necas is there isn’t much downside as far as use. You try him at center and if it works out awesome, if it doesn’t he is your Debrusk replacement.

Even if they were to acquire Necas I would expect them to try and address that need via free agency as well. They wouldn’t put all their eggs in the “Necas is 1C” basket just like we wouldn’t.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The thing with Necas is there isn’t much downside as far as use. You try him at center and if it works out awesome, if it doesn’t he is your Debrusk replacement.

Even if they were to acquire Necas I would expect them to try and address that need via free agency as well. They wouldn’t put all their eggs in the “Necas is 1C” basket just like we wouldn’t.
He may end up being Debrusk’s replacement in the lineup but he offers no where near the two way play Debrusk does. He may give more offense but there is a sacrifice at one end if he’s the direct replacement which will be something to consider when putting lines together.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.
I'm perfectly fine with the Bruins center position as is. I know I'm in the minority on that.

I want that #2 forward in his prime to slot below Pasta and above and aging Marchand. I don't care what forward position he plays. You need two top forwards to win in today's league. We have one (Pasta).

If Matthew Tkachuk was available for trade like he was a couple years ago, would fans here say no because he's strictly a winger? He'd be perfect in the sense that he'd be that elite-level forward in his prime so now they Bruins have two in their prime which I believe is part of the recipe for winning regardless of their forward position.

If the Bruins had Kucherov and they put him with Pasta on the wing and Zacha at C, would it not work because Zacha is playing C on that line? It would work just fine, two play drivers with the complimentary piece (Zacha). To me the concept that a good line is play driving winger + play driving C + complimentary winger to be antiquated. Now IMO the center can be the complimentary guy. I wouldn't of said that 10 years ago. The game has evolved. But the Center HAS to be able to hold his own defensively.

Reality is, league-wide, it's crazy how many guys now play a bit of both C and W because you can drive offense from the wing far more now than in the past. The wings carry it through the neutral zone more, carry it across the blueline more. If the Oilers put McDavid on the wing and take all that energy he uses playing C down low in his own zone and more energy into the offensive side, I think he could put up 200 pts. But he's an amazing player at all ends of the ice so he'd be wasted as a winger despite more offensive production.

Even though both are past their prime, in the short term Guentzel and Marchessault fill what the Bruins need far more IMO than either Lindholm or Stephenson. I agree Lindholm is better than Stephenson, but unless their contracts are the same it's not an apples to apples comparison.

I wish people would just toss out that big year Lindholm had as a complete anomaly thanks to playing basically exclusively with Tkachuk and Gaudreau. Any GM who signs him is paying for that year.

If they had say a Marchand in his prime and Pasta, then yeah I can see Lindholm as the complimentary piece of "a perfection line". but without that #2 forward to go with Lindholm and Pasta, I don't think it works long-term. Next year would probably be fine if they went Marchand- Lindholm-Pasta as Marchand can still drive play and create, but how much longer can they realistically expect that to last?

And if they want the most out of Lindholm, they'll want to use him in a more shutdown role similar to what Coyle did last season paired with Marchand so he might not see much time with Pasta anyways. To me, he becomes a bit redundant if Coyle is here. Stephenson wins out for me as he brings a different skillset and he'll likely be cheaper.

All that to say I don't think Lindholm is a great fit here the way the forward group is (currently) structured, but I suspect Sweeney and Co. would disagree with me and he's their main target in a months time.
I agree that Lindholm is their first choice. While I also agree with your opinion about what he brings, don't forget how big he came up for Vancouver in these playoffs.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
I agree that Lindholm is their first choice. While I also agree with your opinion about what he brings, don't forget how big he came up for Vancouver in these playoffs.
If Lindholm can come in at a reasonable price he will be great because he’s the BPA center in free agency, better than any of the bruins centers, and can be slotted down as needed as/if he regresses without much issue if the B’s have replacements or more options become available. I just don’t see a fit with him at the rumored 9-10 mil if that’s the true cost.

Reactions: GordonHowe

Patdud

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
If Lindholm can come in at a reasonable price he will be great because he’s the BPA center in free agency, better than any of the bruins centers, and can be slotted down as needed as/if he regresses without much issue if the B’s have replacements or more options become available. I just don’t see a fit with him at the rumored 9-10 mil if that’s the true cost.
7-8 per year for 6-7 years? absolutely!
anything over 8 should be 4 year max

Reactions: sarge88

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

Well yes and no. You do need to fill 2 or probably 3 top 6 positions . So yes in theory you could put Necas on a line with Zacha and Pasta, and let them figure out who plays Center between Necas and Zacha.

But then you need to replace Debrusk on line 2 for sure, and some believe you need to get a #2 center in front of Coyle.

But basically you need to have an idea where you plan to play players in the offseason as you build the lineup

Reactions: sarge88

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Well yes and no. You do need to fill 2 or probably 3 top 6 positions . So yes in theory you could put Necas on a line with Zacha and Pasta, and let them figure out who plays Center between Necas and Zacha.

But then you need to replace Debrusk on line 2 for sure, and some believe you need to get a #2 center in front of Coyle.

But basically you need to have an idea where you plan to play players in the offseason as you build the lineup
In a perfect world yes, but the Bruins can only do what is available on the market right?

I see what you are saying, but they can only control so much as only so much is available to them.

They aren’t going to be able to fix all their problems in one offseason. No team can. My point was that adding an impact player like Necas is good for top your top six regardless of where he eventually lines up. They’ve always been big on versatility and based on this market they have to be. Not a bevy of “true” centers out there, especially those that would move the needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad