Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Il take Zibanejad and Lafrenière moving forward but yea I agree there's alot of talk thats what the Rags need. But i think its more of the case just how freaken good the Panthers have been more than anything and I know Lafrenière has played more wing but I think his future lie's as a center.
This!!! Going to be interesting watching them against the Oilers.

Reactions: TCB

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
You think Coyle matched up against Barkov, Bennett, and Lundell well? I’m good on talking to you then you aren’t a serious person.
The Panthers are a beast of a team this year...No????

Would love to have Barkov Bennett duo but we (entire league) aren't that fortunate. Coyle is a 2nd line center on a majority of NHL teams.... is he better than Barkov and Bennett? Hell no!

Good luck to the oiler star centers...Bolts, Bruins, and Rangers all failed because of their "apparent" lack of stud centers.

RiverbottomChuck

Jul 20, 2018
Washington DC
The Panthers are a beast of a team this year...No????

Would love to have Barkov Bennett duo but we (entire league) aren't that fortunate. Coyle is a 2nd line center on a majority of NHL teams.... is he better than Barkov and Bennett? Hell no!

Good luck to the oiler star centers...Bolts, Bruins, and Rangers all failed because of their "apparent" lack of stud centers.
He hasn’t even matched Lundell in the most recent two series against Florida. To say he just isn’t matching Barkov or Bennett isn’t the full picture. He can’t hang at all against them and you’re gonna have to face that same C group for another year at least.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
2 goals in 13 games vs Florida is not good. He’s had what 5 pts va them overall? He’s a good top 6 guy in the regular season though
Bruins can win a Cup with Coyle playing 3C, but that means acquiring 2 top 6 centers pushing him down to 3C. Can't see them winning the EC with him as a 2C but IMO some people going overboard on how terrible he was. Yeah he wasn't good enough.

He came damn close to putting them up 2-0, G2 P1, (after he put them up 1-0 earlier in the period), when he beat Bob with a hell of a wrister that clanged off the post.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
More is expected of Coyle because he's been here for a while and is our 3rd highest paid forward. Sure they might be asking too much for what he can bring, but he's in the role and getting paid so ...

Geekie and Frederic are getting paid half as much and contributing more than that.
He would be the 5th highest paid forward on Dallas and NYR and 4th highest paid on Florida. Anyone losing sleep over what he gets paid is looking in the wrong place.

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
More is expected of Coyle because he's been here for a while and is our 3rd highest paid forward. Sure they might be asking too much for what he can bring, but he's in the role and getting paid so ...

Geekie and Frederic are getting paid half as much and contributing more than that.
5.25 is not getting paid to do so in that role, if his role is top minutes. Whats interesting is while he may be the third highest paid forward for us, I don't know what true 1st or 2nd line centers are getting paid just over 5 unless they are on the end of an old contract or in a “show me” contract. He’s in the role because management didn’t plan better for Krecji and Bergeron leaving back when they should’ve 2017-21. We should’ve had someone with a bright future in the system like Poitras but already in their second or third NHL season during the 2022-2023 season to soften the blow. Instead we’ve got a guy (Coyle) that is a third line center on any contending team and a guy (Zacha) that is truthfully a middle 6 winger on a contending anchoring us down the middle in our top 6. It was really obvious how bad they messed up when Haula was the stop gap for 46 leaving for a year.

As for Geekie and Frederic, they combined for around 80 points if remember right of the top of my head, and Coyle for around 60. All three had good seasons. So contributing more points for the combined money, no, Coyle does not, just beats them combined in on ice and locker room presence/leadership. I guarantee you though that either wouldn’t have scored that ~60 in Coyles role this season. They will be both be better this season I’d imagine though, and I’m figuring they will command and combine for a minimum of $8mil + cap hit next summer…will the Bruins commit $13.25 million + to those three players starting in 2025-2026? My guess is no. With a good year, Geekie or Frederic could easily be asking for 5.25 on the open market. So here is to hoping somebody gets moved for a return and they learn from the Haula Zacha trade and they have three great candidates to upgrade with.

Reactions: KillerMillerTime

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
He would be the 5th highest paid forward on Dallas and NYR and 4th highest paid on Florida. Anyone losing sleep over what he gets paid is looking in the wrong place.
Kinda proving the point - if he's 4th or 5th then he should be more than a bottom 6. Dallas had Duchene or Johnston in the 2C spot for less. NYR had Trocheck getting roughly the same money in that spot and putting up over a PPG

I like Coyle and want him on the club. It also doesn't have to be an either or with him and Frederic.

5.25 is not getting paid to do so in that role, if his role is top minutes. Whats interesting is while he may be the third highest paid forward for us, I don't know what true 1st or 2nd line centers are getting paid just over 5 unless they are on the end of an old contract or in a “show me” contract. He’s in the role because management didn’t plan better for Krecji and Bergeron leaving back when they should’ve 2017-21. We should’ve had someone with a bright future in the system like Poitras but already in their second or third NHL season during the 2022-2023 season to soften the blow. Instead we’ve got a guy (Coyle) that is a third line center on any contending team and a guy (Zacha) that is truthfully a middle 6 winger on a contending anchoring us down the middle in our top 6. It was really obvious how bad they messed up when Haula was the stop gap for 46 leaving for a year.

As for Geekie and Frederic, they combined for around 80 points if remember right of the top of my head, and Coyle for around 60. All three had good seasons. So contributing more points for the combined money, no, Coyle does not, just beats them combined in on ice and locker room presence/leadership. I guarantee you though that either wouldn’t have scored that ~60 in Coyles role this season. They will be both be better this season I’d imagine though, and I’m figuring they will command and combine for a minimum of $8mil + cap hit next summer…will the Bruins commit $13.25 million + to those three players starting in 2025-2026? My guess is no. With a good year, Geekie or Frederic could easily be asking for 5.25 on the open market. So here is to hoping somebody gets moved for a return and they learn from the Haula Zacha trade and they have three great candidates to upgrade with.
They planned for Coyle stepping up into the top six - it's why they paid him that way

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
My point is
Kinda proving the point - if he's 4th or 5th then he should be more than a bottom 6. Dallas had Duchene or Johnston in the 2C spot for less. NYR had Trocheck getting roughly the same money in that spot and putting up over a PPG

I like Coyle and want him on the club. It also doesn't have to be an either or with him and Frederic.

They planned for Coyle stepping up into the top six - it's why they paid him that way
I’m saying more so that if he’s called a top 2 center, then on paper he’s a cheap top 2 center, despite being a 3c on a legit contender. And between Freddy, geekie and Coyle you have 3 potential 3rd line centers. You don’t have to have an either or between Coyle and Freddy unless it’s March 2025 and Geekie is still on your roster with Merkulov knocking at the door, and Lysell not able to get top 6 minutes because Pasta and your shiny new top 6 winger have the spots.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
My point is

I’m saying more so that if he’s called a top 2 center, then on paper he’s a cheap top 2 center, despite being a 3c on a legit contender. And between Freddy, geekie and Coyle you have 3 potential 3rd line centers. You don’t have to have an either or between Coyle and Freddy unless it’s March 2025 and Geekie is still on your roster with Merkulov knocking at the door, and Lysell not able to get top 6 minutes because Pasta and your shiny new top 6 winger have the spots.
Wouldn't call him cheap as a #2 on a contender - just looking at the final 4 teams this year:

Bennett makes less, Trocheck makes as much, Duchene and Johnston make less. Draisaitl makes a lot more. Of that bunch who's worse as a #2?

Reactions: RiverbottomChuck

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Bruins can win a Cup with Coyle playing 3C, but that means acquiring 2 top 6 centers pushing him down to 3C. Can't see them winning the EC with him as a 2C but IMO some people going overboard on how terrible he was. Yeah he wasn't good enough.

He came damn close to putting them up 2-0, G2 P1, (after he put them up 1-0 earlier in the period), when he beat Bob with a hell of a wrister that clanged off the post.

Only way I can live with Coyle as 2C is if they bring in a play driving 65 point winger to join him and Marchand

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Right in the middle of 2nd line C prices....
Not really, if you add a bit of context and include younger players on ELCs and centers on shitty teams.

Coyle was also 45th in the league in points for centers…right in the middle of 2nd line C…

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I like him and want him on the club, but there's little wonder why he's a target for some flak

I never blame a guy for being asked to do more than he’s capable of, provided the effort is there.

I definitely don’t question Coyle’s effort or compete level.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I never blame a guy for being asked to do more than he’s capable of, provided the effort is there.

I definitely don’t question Coyle’s effort or compete level.
Oh sure - but when it comes down to it, he's getting paid for the role, was given the surrounding cast for the role and didn't perform the role effectively enough.

I try not to question any of these guys when it comes to effort, you can't see into anyone's mind and there is just so much we don't know about what they're dealing with.

Reactions: sarge88

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Oh sure - but when it comes down to it, he's getting paid for the role, was given the surrounding cast for the role and didn't perform the role effectively enough.

I try not to question any of these guys when it comes to effort, you can't see into anyone's mind and there is just so much we don't know about what they're dealing with.
But again, using points to call this a Coyle underperformance is just surface level and reductive.

If you were going to build a team to counter this lethal Panthers forecheck, you’d have elite transitional centers. That is far from Coyle’s game. We were left trying to break it with Morgan Geekie and Charlie Coyle. And you’d have a defense corps better suited to exits.

Neither the Rangers or the Bruins had the personnel to methodically break it, so we were left with trying to hit quick counters. NYR did that in their OT win with a flip out of the zone. How many times did either team finally break the zone and have to dump in for a change?

Trying to put performance issues specifically on Coyle and using points to do it is ignoring the whole context of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad