Boston Bruins 2024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Due to this, in a recent article for The Fourth Period, NHL insider David Pagnotta listed the Bruins as one of the many teams that could look to acquire Winnipeg Jets winger Nikolaj Ehlers this offseason. He also noted that Ehlers is not interested in an extension with the Jets, which is why they are shopping him.

Nope doesn't fight, doesn't hit, not tough enough, too old, makes too much cash, doesn't show up in the playoffs, doesn't score 50 goals per year.....how did I do?

But personally.....sounds like a plan

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
I truly believe a small number of fans here don't actually watch bruins play or simply not bruin fans. Some of the takes on him are horrid. I love him as 2nd C. Plays with heart, passion, tough to play against, big, fast, puck possession master and not bad skills. He's a perfect bruin. He played a defensive playoff run this year. He was asked to be smart and think D not O.
I watched Trent Frederic score 4 times as many goals as Coyle but you hate him and have excuses for how bad he is. If Frederic had as bad a playoff as Coyle you would be apocalyptic

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Newton, MA.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I watched Trent Frederic score 4 times as many goals as Coyle but you hate him and have excuses for how bad he is. If Frederic had as bad a playoff as Coyle you would be apocalyptic
Well u were the only person in the universe that watched Frederic score 4 times as many as goals as Coyle in the PO. Incidentally 1 of Frederic's 3 goals was a pulled goalie empty net gimme. So if u are going to beat down Coyle's production using Frederic as your standard at least be accurate.

Could Coyle have produced more against Florida? Yeah of course, but he didn't put up goose eggs, as he had 1-2-3 totals going against Barkov, Bennett and Lundell.

Boston the last two years in the PO with Coyle at 2C were 4-4 so let's not get to carried away puking all over him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Sweeney likes to find good value deals and we saw a lot of it last season due to our cap issues. A name that I was thinking about was Jakub Vrana.

He's had a little bit of a rough go the last few years. Back in 2022 he entered PAP for substance abuse, was waived upon his return and eventually traded to STL where he had 14pt in 20gp. He struggled this past season early on and was waived by STL. He went to the AHL and had 36pts in 42gp.

So why do I like the idea of Vrana?

He's still on the right side of 30 as he just turned 28 a few months ago. In his 3 seasons prior to this past one he had 43g & 71pt in 101gp. Over 82 games that's a 35G/57P pace. He's got good speed and a good shot (something this team needs). Vrana is likely looking for an opportunity to rebuild his value and would take a short term / low money deal. For Boston that means low risk / high reward.

Why I think Boston could be a good fit for Vrana

The Bruins are well known for their locker room and culture. Along with having fellow countrymen David Pastrnak, Pavel Zacha & Jakub Lauko on the roster, Vrana also would have a coach who understands first hand the struggles of of substance abuse. It'd give Vrana a good support system as he continues to get back to the player he showed he could be a handful of years ago. In Boston he could come in for a 3rd line role and build his game back up with the opportunity to play in the Bruins top 6.
Yeah, has a lot of the same offensive style and skill set of Necas.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Well u were the only person in the universe that watched Frederic score 4 times as many as goals as Coyle in the PO. Incidentally 1 of Frederic's 3 goals was a pulled goalie empty net gimme. So if u are going to beat down Coyle's production using Frederic as your standard at least be accurate.

Could Coyle have produced more against Florida? Yeah of course, but he didn't put up goose eggs, as he had 1-2-3 totals going against Barkov, Bennett and Lundell.

Boston the last two years in the PO with Coyle at 2C were 4-4 so let's not get to carried away puking all over him.
Much like Bruins, It appears the Rangers are in desperate need of a number 1 and 2 center after losing 6 games to the Panthers with their top center having slightly better numbers versus Coyle and their 2nd center failing to meet Coyle's production/contribution.

Find a number 1 center and Coyle is your 2nd line center. All is good.

Last edited:
Reactions: KillerMillerTime

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Much like Bruins It appears the Rangers are in desperate need of a number 1 and 2 center after losing 6 games to the Panthers.
Il take Zibanejad and Lafrenière moving forward but yea I agree there's alot of talk thats what the Rags need. But i think its more of the case just how freaken good the Panthers have been more than anything and I know Lafrenière has played more wing but I think his future lie's as a center.

Reactions: Blowfish

pucksindeep92

Jun 19, 2023
I don’t really understand the Coyle hate outside the fact that people can’t realize he’s simply playing a larger role that he should be. He isn’t a top 2 center, and that’s okay as long as you (and more importantly Sweeney) acknowledge it. Sure he can and did play well this regular season. Not like in years previous though…2019 playoffs he was an absolute dawg on the third line and you could see it working when he had two bonafide healthy center options above him and MarcJo to play pinball with. This year going into playoffs, you’d assume he would have a ppg decline as he is outmatched and tasked with a defense first mindset ( Zacha no different), which he did. This hampers his wingers from playing their best offensive game and you end up with tight, low scoring games until you get bounced out of the cup chase.

I’d argue any center candidate we are discussing right now (Lindholm, Stephenson, Reinhart and Necas even though the last two are better on wing) would have scored more than Coyle or Zacha on the top two lines this year. Maybe not by big numbers, but the speed and feel of the team would’ve been much better. I think D would’ve been more active, as the puck would be up ice more. I’d also argue that Coyle and Zacha would’ve had a few more fans going into this summer as well, as they played in roles that better suited them. The point totals in regular season should show you that they were more than capable to fill in, while the playoff point totals show you that you still needed some more offensive flash up top. The 5.25 salary doesn’t bother me at all, he is a puck possession monster, chips in offensively, and helps keep the bottom 6 deep and strong on its feet and can jump into any situation, like Heinen.

But now with Heinen signing rumors, we have more possibilities…

For what it’s worth, I don’t think you can have Frederic, Heinen, Coyle, Geekie, Brazzers all in cycling in middle 6 territory looking up to an aging Marchand, streaky Debrusk, and quiet Zacha. It’s just a few too many “just another guy” feels in that area of the roster. That spells Pasta getting shut down all day. We assume now Jake is gone which it is what it is. Bringing in 2/3 threats up top allow your Coyle third line to start humming again, which will have opposing players looking over their shoulders in the corners a bit more like they used to.

Wouldn’t hesitate to move Frederic or Geekie (though I do like them) in a package with Ullmark or separately for top 6 help or picks/prospects for Prov. Maybe both even (one now and one at deadline) because you could have a Heinen-Poitras-Coyle line if Poitras isn’t your 2c and their contracts will be up next summer. And heck, all my defending Coyle could be an argument for making him a valuable trade chip him instead of Geekie/Frederic to get an even better return with Ullmark and letting Geekie be your 3c and use the money elsewhere 🤷🏼‍♂️

Reactions: sarge88

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I don’t really understand the Coyle hate outside the fact that people can’t realize he’s simply playing a larger role that he should be. He isn’t a top 2 center, and that’s okay as long as you (and more importantly Sweeney) acknowledge it. Sure he can and did play well this regular season. Not like in years previous though…2019 playoffs he was an absolute dawg on the third line and you could see it working when he had two bonafide healthy center options above him and MarcJo to play pinball with. This year going into playoffs, you’d assume he would have a ppg decline as he is outmatched and tasked with a defense first mindset ( Zacha no different), which he did. This hampers his wingers from playing their best offensive game and you end up with tight, low scoring games until you get bounced out of the cup chase.

I’d argue any center candidate we are discussing right now (Lindholm, Stephenson, Reinhart and Necas even though the last two are better on wing) would have scored more than Coyle or Zacha on the top two lines this year. Maybe not by big numbers, but the speed and feel of the team would’ve been much better. I think D would’ve been more active, as the puck would be up ice more. I’d also argue that Coyle and Zacha would’ve had a few more fans going into this summer as well, as they played in roles that better suited them. The point totals in regular season should show you that they were more than capable to fill in, while the playoff point totals show you that you still needed some more offensive flash up top. The 5.25 salary doesn’t bother me at all, he is a puck possession monster, chips in offensively, and helps keep the bottom 6 deep and strong on its feet and can jump into any situation, like Heinen.

For what it’s worth, I don’t think you can have Frederic, Heinen, Coyle, Geekie, Brazzers all in cycling in middle 6 territory looking up to an aging Marchand, streaky Debrusk, and quiet Zacha. It’s just a few too many “just another guy” feels in that area of the roster. That spells Pasta getting shut down all day. We assume now Jake is gone which it is what it is. Bringing in 2/3 threats up top allow your Coyle third line to start humming again, which will have opposing players looking over their shoulders in the corners a bit more like they used to.

Wouldn’t hesitate to move Frederic or Geekie (though I do like them) in a package with Ullmark or separately for top 6 help or picks/prospects for Prov. Maybe both even (one now and one at deadline) because you could have a Heinen-Poitras-Coyle line if Poitras isn’t your 2c and their contracts will be up next summer. And heck, all my defending Coyle could be an argument for making him a valuable trade chip him instead of Geekie/Frederic to get an even better return with Ullmark and letting Geekie be your 3c and use the money elsewhere 🤷🏼‍♂️
Great post!!!

Reactions: sarge88

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown

More is expected of Coyle because he's been here for a while and is our 3rd highest paid forward. Sure they might be asking too much for what he can bring, but he's in the role and getting paid so ...

Geekie and Frederic are getting paid half as much and contributing more than that.

Reactions: bbfan419 and Yeti34

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Almost...add Domi and you have the best of the best for F/Os and pain in arses to play against.

Zacha- Lindholm - Pastrnak
Marchand - Coyle - DeBrusk
Heinze- Domi- Geek
Beech- Bo- Brazilla
Lauko & (Freddy trade)
I’d rather have Freddie

Domi being signed by Leafs

With my lineup it’s not will they win the Cup but home or away

I’m at the point I want it infront of me none of this away shit unless it’s Dallas - I can be at that

DeBrusk- Heinen 2024

Donny let’s f***ing Go!!!!!

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
If he gets $21 mil for 3 years and can't play again, I wouldn't consider that screwed.

That's kind of unlikely.
It's all perspective.

Imagine you are in the rarified air of doing something so well that you can get paid that kind of money -- then instead of locking down a huge salary increase for the relative long-term you sign a three year deal (despite the fact there is a CBA coming up and you are in the sweet spot as far as signing your likely only big long term deal). Then you somehow fall off a cliff because of league shutdown, injury, talent dropping off a cliff, whatever,..... and now you find you can no longer find a job, let alone get paid big money???

Yeah you got screwed...... Hard. And not by anybody else. You did it yourself.

And the fact is, that even though you got paid huge money for three years, you're still very likely going to be pissed off that you were so stupid.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

2 goals in 13 games vs Florida is not good. He’s had what 5 pts va them overall? He’s a good top 6 guy in the regular season though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad